Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006

MrEnigma posted:

Just picked up a used 17-50 tamron, loving the 2.8 and the 17-50, (had a 17-40 L before and liked it). But holy cow IS THIS THING LOUD. BZZZzzzt BBBBZZZZTttt

And the minute you switch it to MF, it's looser than Courtney Love's Heart-Shaped Box :thumbsup:
But despite how much I've hated its little flaws, it's still the best non-L glass you're going to find, I can't deny it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
CPL filters's. I know the advice is generally the most expensive you can afford for your largest thread size, but is this in the territory of go large (as you can) or go home, or would I not be horrified with a cheapish Praktica branded CPL fliter? It's something I've been keeping on the to do list since I have noticed that I do indeed take a largeish amount of landscapes and a reasonable amount of water and want to get one since everyone insists it's a pretty critical piece of kit, but I'm not sure I want to drop 300 dollars on one.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

Trambopaline posted:

CPL filters's. I know the advice is generally the most expensive you can afford for your largest thread size, but is this in the territory of go large (as you can) or go home, or would I not be horrified with a cheapish Praktica branded CPL fliter? It's something I've been keeping on the to do list since I have noticed that I do indeed take a largeish amount of landscapes and a reasonable amount of water and want to get one since everyone insists it's a pretty critical piece of kit, but I'm not sure I want to drop 300 dollars on one.

You can get one of the best CPLs on the market for around $75 in 77mm size. The Marumi DHG Super CPL is fantastic, inexpensive, and what I used before I moved to LEE filters. Honestly it might even be better than my $180 4x4 LEE polarizer, but it doesn't fit the filter holder. :(

http://www.lenstip.com/115.24-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Marumi_DHG_Super_Circular_P.L.D_72_mm.html

Full article:
http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Introduction.html

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
I've had really great results with the Marumi CPL. It has great reviews and it's pretty inexpensive to boot.

http://www.amazon.com/Marumi-67mm-Super-Filter-Japan/dp/B003QSG6SS

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Picked up a Tamron 17-35 2.8-4 for $265 the other day. It's really an unsung hero. Why is it a big deal, you ask? Well, for one, it's full frame. Full frame wide angles are usually pricey.

Here was my logic in buying it rather than the 17-40 f/4L.

Optically, they're very similar -- which is impressive for the Tamron.
The Tamron has an extra stop on the wide end.
The 17-40 focuses faster with USM. Counterpoint: it's a wide lens -- AF is not super critical.
The 17-40 has better weathersealing -- including the mount gasket.
The Tamron can be had for a good $300 less than the 17-40.

Ultimately, I sacrificed weathersealing and AF speed for a lens that was optically very competitive, gave me an extra stop on the wide end, and was over 50% cheaper.

Check it out, APS-H and full frame users, if you are looking for a cheap wide-angle.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
Ah my bad, I just skimmed through filter selections, looks like the really expensive filters are the variable/high density ND filters. Well that's good to know. Now to talk myself into buying the 77mm version even if I don't see myself buying any new lenses in the near future. Cheers guys.

Jokfu
Apr 8, 2007
Being a n00b is fun!
So I'm probably going to be getting $300 in amazon.com money that I'd like to spend on a flash. I currently have a 20D and some quantaray promaster knockoff flash that worked for about 1.5 years reliably. It has issues with the hotshot connection and I know this because a buddies 580EXII works fine and with my current flash it works great if I apply slight pressure to the front of the flash.

I know that I can get a 430exii for $270 on amazon, but I looked into the Metz and Nissin top of the line flashes and am leaning towards the Nissin di866 mkii. I think that this gets me pretty much everything that the 580 exii has without the $600 amazon price gouging. The one thing the 430 has going for it in my mind is the build quality/weather sealing. But for just about $50 more it'd be nice to get all the features of the di866, so does anyone have any experience with Nissin equipment? I might upgrade to whatever replaces the 60D whenever it's announced but the Nissin should be firmware upgradable to be compatible so I'm not terribly worried about that. I just don't want to end up with a lemon.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

dakana posted:

Picked up a Tamron 17-35 2.8-4 for $265 the other day. It's really an unsung hero. Why is it a big deal, you ask? Well, for one, it's full frame. Full frame wide angles are usually pricey.

Here was my logic in buying it rather than the 17-40 f/4L.

Optically, they're very similar -- which is impressive for the Tamron.
The Tamron has an extra stop on the wide end.
The 17-40 focuses faster with USM. Counterpoint: it's a wide lens -- AF is not super critical.
The 17-40 has better weathersealing -- including the mount gasket.
The Tamron can be had for a good $300 less than the 17-40.

Ultimately, I sacrificed weathersealing and AF speed for a lens that was optically very competitive, gave me an extra stop on the wide end, and was over 50% cheaper.

Check it out, APS-H and full frame users, if you are looking for a cheap wide-angle.
Yeah, it's a great bang for your buck. I don't think it makes a lot of sense unless you're shooting full-frame (or APS-H), but it's still pretty good on a crop sensor. I have the Konica Minolta rebadged version sitting on my desk right now. Here is a comparison of it to Zeiss's ultrawide zoom; the Zeiss outperforms it, but just barely and at ~6x the price. Not bad for $300.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Trambopaline posted:

No the rule is get a Marumi super dhg either in the largest thread size or in the size for the lenses you want CPL'ed.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

No the rule is get a Marumi super dhg either in the largest thread size or in the size for the lenses you want CPL'ed.

Haha okay. Does it have to be the super or is the DHG good enough?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Super PLD is the one that tests so well. I have two and love them but I've never owned another brand so heh.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:siren: gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress :siren:

In my excitement to pack my bags for a 2 week Scotland/Belfast/Dublin trip, I'm at the airport and have realized I forgot a battery charger :saddowns: I have 2 full batteries in a grip and I'm not sure if I can make those last for the whole time. Is my best course of action to look up a store in the UK (the first leg of the trip is a week in the Scottish Highlands) and have it shipped to our hotel?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

DJExile posted:

:siren: gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress :siren:

In my excitement to pack my bags for a 2 week Scotland/Belfast/Dublin trip, I'm at the airport and have realized I forgot a battery charger :saddowns: I have 2 full batteries in a grip and I'm not sure if I can make those last for the whole time. Is my best course of action to look up a store in the UK (the first leg of the trip is a week in the Scottish Highlands) and have it shipped to our hotel?

What camera do you have?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

What camera do you have?

Olympus E-5. I have 2 of the BLM-1 batteries.

E: I have a good P&S and a lot of film with my OM-1 so if worse comes to worst, it's not a total loss.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

DJExile posted:

Olympus E-5. I have 2 of the BLM-1 batteries.

E: I have a good P&S and a lot of film with my OM-1 so if worse comes to worst, it's not a total loss.

When you get to Heathrow, go to Dixons (they are airside in all the terminals).

See if they sell this:

http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/kodak-essential-universal-battery-charger-13828471-pdt.html

http://www.dixonstravel.com/stores/heathrow.aspx

Failing that, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

When you get to Heathrow, go to Dixons (they are airside in all the terminals).

See if they sell this:

http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/kodak-essential-universal-battery-charger-13828471-pdt.html

http://www.dixonstravel.com/stores/heathrow.aspx

Failing that, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

We're flying into Edinburgh :shobon:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

DJExile posted:

We're flying into Edinburgh :shobon:

They have one in Edinburgh too:

Dixons Travel
Unit R164
Edinburgh Airport
Airside
Edinburgh
Scotland
EH12 9DP

That said: if you can find a suitable one on Amazon.co.uk, you can spring for next day shipping and get it to your hotel.

pm me if you have problems with your US credit card

EDIT: you know what, I bet you can find a charger if you wander around the City.

http://www.jessops.com/storefinder

spog fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 20, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I think the Dixons might be in the departures part of the airport rather than the arrivals. I believe that's where it is in Heathrow.

I have no idea about good camera stores up north. Jessops might be able to carry something.

Worse comes to worse treat it as an exercise in limiting your shots! make a mistake into a learning experience!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

I think the Dixons might be in the departures part of the airport rather than the arrivals. I believe that's where it is in Heathrow.

You may be right.

I think this might do the job. Available with 1-2 days shipping:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Charger-Olympus-PS-BLM-1-BLM1/dp/B002DK9XV2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345495264&sr=8-2

I've been in these exact shoes.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
Don't forget plug adapters for all your other gadgets!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, isn't there like some Scottish Best Buy you can duck into to pick that up anyway? I'd be ordering from Amazon last, unless budget was my main concern.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Goddamn you guys are loving awesome. I'll see if I can find that place in Edinburgh airport, if not I'll probably have to go the Amazon route. I'll be staying about 4 hours away from Edinburgh and I would imagine hotel staff can help as well.

Spog, that would work perfectly, thanks. I'll let you guys know what happens. I'm at Newark Airport right now on a layover then over the pond.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

And here we are finally in Dornoch. I'm going to do some asking around about local places but the Amazon route may be ultimately cheaper.

If nothing else, I'll burn up the batteries and take a shitload of shots with the OM-1 :getin:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

DJExile posted:

And here we are finally in Dornoch. I'm going to do some asking around about local places but the Amazon route may be ultimately cheaper.

If nothing else, I'll burn up the batteries and take a shitload of shots with the OM-1 :getin:

It looks an interesting place.

Amazon will definitely be cheaper - plus you'll spend less time trying to explain modern technology like DSLRs (and electricity) to the locals.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spog posted:

It looks an interesting place.

Amazon will definitely be cheaper - plus you'll spend less time trying to explain modern technology like DSLRs (and electricity) to the locals.

Yeah probably the easiest route. I really appreciate the advice. :cheers:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy gently caress.

Last night I asked a concierge here if they knew of any local or nearby stores that might have something. "Well there are a couple places in Inverness... One of our shuttle drivers is going there tomorrow, he can ask them if you like. Can we have one of your batteries to make sure he could find one that fits?"

"Sure." I give them one of my two batteries, but figure at best there might be some iffy 'universal' one, or at worst, nothing doing. Still, can't hurt.

Fast forward to this afternoon. I got back from playing golf with some friends on this trip, and she waved me over. "I think we've got it, plus we tossed in a little extra for you."

She presents me with a factory Olympus BLM-1 charger with UK plug, along with an extra BLM-1 battery. Holy poo poo this owns so much

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow, that's pretty great hotel/concierge service there.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

yeah, especially for scotland

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DJExile posted:

Fast forward to this afternoon. I got back from playing golf with some friends on this trip, and she waved me over. "I think we've got it, plus we tossed in a little extra for you."
So what kind of sexual favor did you perform on that person the day before?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

They might be tipping to American standards which would be extremely generous in Scotland.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, honestly I wouldn't have expected this to any stretch. We're staying in a pretty unique that is to say, loving incredible place.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tsk tsk sloppy verticals gently caress that looks amazing

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Holy poo poo, where is that?

edit: as in what's it called, I do read the thread and know it's in Scotland

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

That's just a Scottish starbucks, wait until he starts posting some pictures of the castles.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's a reason crazy-rich americans with actual taste dismantle scottish castles and move them over instead of building McMansions.
the reason is they can't have french castles

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's Skibo Castle just outside of Dornoch.

Paragon8 posted:

That's just a Scottish starbucks, wait until he starts posting some pictures of the castles.

hahahaha

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

So I asked this in the general questions thread, but this thread is probably better for it.

I'm jonesing desperately for a Mamiya RB67, and I don't want to be an idiot about buying one. I handled one, foolishly, at B&H yesterday, but then ran away before I could spend the 700 they wanted for it.

KEH has a couple of them, including a bargain-grade one for less than two hundred dollars.

What should I know about these cameras? What's the best light meter or metering screen or whatever? Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? I know to check for the C after the lens ID to get a coated model.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

a foolish pianist posted:

So I asked this in the general questions thread, but this thread is probably better for it.

I'm jonesing desperately for a Mamiya RB67, and I don't want to be an idiot about buying one. I handled one, foolishly, at B&H yesterday, but then ran away before I could spend the 700 they wanted for it.

KEH has a couple of them, including a bargain-grade one for less than two hundred dollars.

What should I know about these cameras? What's the best light meter or metering screen or whatever? Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? I know to check for the C after the lens ID to get a coated model.

Don't get the metered stovepipe finder, just get a good incident meter for like a third of the price and use the standard WLF for way less money. $700 is definitely way too much for an RB unless it comes with a whole bunch of lenses and backs.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
For a novice photographer who isn't wanting to get into photography so much as use it to enable studying wildlife would you guys suggest just a P&S or some sort of SLR? Keep in mind in this case durability/ruggedness/water resistance is a huge plus because the stuff that's going to be studied will frequently be found in the middle of swamps and bogs. Also the budget is extremely limited of course. So it'd be cool to have suggestions of what to save up towards as well as an entry-level that I might be able to get quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

For a novice photographer who isn't wanting to get into photography so much as use it to enable studying wildlife would you guys suggest just a P&S or some sort of SLR? Keep in mind in this case durability/ruggedness/water resistance is a huge plus because the stuff that's going to be studied will frequently be found in the middle of swamps and bogs. Also the budget is extremely limited of course. So it'd be cool to have suggestions of what to save up towards as well as an entry-level that I might be able to get quickly.

there's quite a few rugged point and shoot cameras out there that have water resistance and proofing. It's very hard to buy a "bad" camera nowadays. Google the features you want and check amazon reviews.