Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Leon with a Zero posted:

It's not being put on 4od or repeated due to music rights fyi.

Thought that might have been the issue. I'm sure it'll surface on Youtube or something. Hopefully anyway, not heard anything A-Trak has done in a while, nor has he played near me. Seen him a few times and love most of what he's put out so far, even if he is a double of Cesc Fabregas...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Did anyone else watch Parade's End? I thought that it was really top notch. I was a little worried that it would be an attempt to jump on the Downton badnwagon, but it turns out it's actually a quite complex book adaption (by Tom Stoppard no less!).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So I'm guessing Inbetweeners and IT Crowd were so high up the C4 top list as its a bit embarrassing to not have anything not from the last decade place highly. I like both shows, but they were ahead of some truly excellent TV.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Peep show?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, Father Ted was at the top spot, so that's good enough, I guess. I never know whether these are actually voted on by actual people or not though. They usually say they are, but that doesn't really count for much. That program's shown me a whole load of comedies that look really good. Going to be busy looking some of those up.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 26, 2012

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Touch of Cloth on Sky One felt like a mixture of Naked Gun mixed with a remake of Naked Gun directed by Keenen Ivory Wayans.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Quanta posted:

Touch of Cloth on Sky One felt like a mixture of Naked Gun mixed with a remake of Naked Gun directed by Keenen Ivory Wayans.
... mixed with a feeling of "Oh god we're so close to a new season of Teachers!"

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

But was it any good?

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
30. Paul Merton - The Series - Good, bit dated.
29. The World Of Lee Evans - Lazy Lee Evans
28. The Jack Dee Show - Good at the time very hard to watch now since it's dated badly.
27. Star Stories
26. Saturday Night Live / Friday Night Live - Incredibly hit & miss
25. Desmond's
24. Harry Hill - S1 yes, S2 maybe, S3 no.
23. PhoneShop
22. The Armstrong & Miller Show - Horrible if this is the 90s show that exposed them as being Fry & Laurie without the talent, charm, charisma.
21. Friday Night Dinner - Didn't last more than an episode.
20. Smack The Pony - Underrated, but very reliant on knowing pop culture of that era. I mean the first song parody relates to an obscure Kenickie song.
19. Bo' Selecta! - Wank.
18. The Adam & Joe Show - Again, good at the time but dated.
17. The Comic Strip Presents... - Dated.
16. Drop The Dead Donkey - Heavily reliant on knowing the era, still quite fun
15. Absolutely - Great
14. Vic Reeves Big Night Out - Still borderline incomprehensible.
13. Fonejacker
12. Trigger Happy TV - poo poo
11. Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - Great
10. Da Ali G Show - poo poo
9. Phoenix Nights - Great
8. Brass Eye - Great but what once was a parody of news is now unsettlingly standard
7. Green Wing - Great
6. Spaced - Simon Pegg lazily references poo poo for cunts
5. The Inbetweeners - Personally just didn't like it.
4. Black Books - S1 was amazing, S2/3 were terrible.
3. The IT Crowd - Mediocre.
2. Peep Show - Great
1. Father Ted - Great. Terrible cop out 'happy ending'.

Well at least Max N Paddy's road to nepotism wasn't on there. No JAM, no Bremner, Bird & Fortune and no TV offal.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

But was it any good?
Its loving brilliant. Definitely worth watching a few times as well, theres a lot of gags in the background.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Brown Moses posted:

But was it any good?

There's nothing original in there at all, but some of the very gross parts did make me laugh. The final product is very much what you'd expect if a TV channel had given Charlie Brooker money and complete freedom to write ~90 minutes of uncensored vulgarity.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Giedroyc posted:

30. Paul Merton - The Series - Good, bit dated.
29. The World Of Lee Evans - Lazy Lee Evans
28. The Jack Dee Show - Good at the time very hard to watch now since it's dated badly.
26. Saturday Night Live / Friday Night Live - Incredibly hit & miss
25. Desmond's
24. Harry Hill - S1 yes, S2 maybe, S3 no.
22. The Armstrong & Miller Show - Horrible if this is the 90s show that exposed them as being Fry & Laurie without the talent, charm, charisma.
21. Friday Night Dinner - Didn't last more than an episode.
20. Smack The Pony - Underrated, but very reliant on knowing pop culture of that era. I mean the first song parody relates to an obscure Kenickie song.
19. Bo' Selecta! - Wank.
18. The Adam & Joe Show - Again, good at the time but dated.
17. The Comic Strip Presents... - Dated.
16. Drop The Dead Donkey - Heavily reliant on knowing the era, still quite fun
15. Absolutely - Great
14. Vic Reeves Big Night Out - Still borderline incomprehensible.
12. Trigger Happy TV - poo poo
11. Garth Marenghi's Darkplace - Great
10. Da Ali G Show - poo poo
9. Phoenix Nights - Great
8. Brass Eye - Great but what once was a parody of news is now unsettlingly standard
7. Green Wing - Great
6. Spaced - Simon Pegg lazily references poo poo for cunts
5. The Inbetweeners - Personally just didn't like it.
4. Black Books - S1 was amazing, S2/3 were terrible.
3. The IT Crowd - Mediocre.
2. Peep Show - Great

Well at least Max N Paddy's road to nepotism wasn't on there. No JAM, no Bremner, Bird & Fortune and no TV offal.

Some of the ones you didn't rate (although I disagree on quite a few of your writeups that you didn't like much)

27. Star Stories - from the scenes shown and the interviews, this looked like poo poo of the highest order
23. PhoneShop - Only ever saw the first episode (not the Comedy Lab one) and it was garbage.
13. Fonejacker - Not as original concept as the talking heads would like you to think (Crank Yankers was years before), but a fun enough show.

Definitely agree that TV Offal should have placed, definitely when crap like PhoneShop was.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Touch of Cloth had a few too many jokes that didn't really land or went on too long, but the majority of the jokes/observations were fried gold. I'll definitely be rewatching (and apparently both parts are going to be shown as one, with an extra scene?). My favourite jokes were probably the two either side of the halfway-mark ad-break along with Boss' love for learning foreign languages via The Killing and Spiral. Oh god and the "Where do you keep your cups?" line, and the unnecessary lesbian character development. Yeah, it's pretty brilliant.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

The entire part of the orgasming father molesting his daughter's severed arm in the pathology room while a choir boy sang an erotic French song in the background was fantastically crass. Just typing that made me giggle.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Giedroyc posted:

I remember reading that the ending to the final episode was originally going to be Ted resigning to his fate on Craggy Island and joining the suicidal Father Kevin in jumping off the ledge but this was changed because:
A. Dermot Morgan died and
B. It wasn't funny.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Giedroyc posted:

Jam was alright but it was just morris wanking himself off by that stage.

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 26, 2012

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
I quite like Friday Night Dinner if only for the Dad. Drop the Dead Donkey has suffered the most from the passing of time imo. Used to love it as a kid but tried watching an episode recently and it's a bit poo poo unfortunately.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

pointsofdata posted:

Did anyone else watch Parade's End? I thought that it was really top notch. I was a little worried that it would be an attempt to jump on the Downton badnwagon, but it turns out it's actually a quite complex book adaption (by Tom Stoppard no less!).

I did. I may be being very dumb but there were a couple of points where it wasn't clear what was going on, for example the bit where they decided to ride the horse for 24 hours (?).

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I really want to show The Adam and Joe show to someone who didn't grow up in the nineties, I don't think it would work.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone watch Bad Sugar? We got about 10 minutes in and ended up switching channels. It had some great names in it but I just couldn't get what it was trying to do...it just didn't seem funny to me, and it felt like we were watching the second episode and had missed a load of establishing jokes.

Shame because I really liked Nighty Night and Human Remains, but this totally missed the mark for me. Should I have stuck with it?

eta-Oh I just read that that top 30 comedy countdown was solely for C4 programmes. Wow, what a terribly self-important thing to have done!

Rondette fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 27, 2012

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Rondette posted:

Did anyone watch Bad Sugar? We got about 10 minutes in and ended up switching channels. It had some great names in it but I just couldn't get what it was trying to do...it just didn't seem funny to me, and it felt like we were watching the second episode and had missed a load of establishing jokes.

Shame because I really liked Nighty Night and Human Remains, but this totally missed the mark for me. Should I have stuck with it?

eta-Oh I just read that that top 30 comedy countdown was solely for C4 programmes. Wow, what a terribly self-important thing to have done!

It was very strange. I never really got on board with the whole theme and atmosphere of it, but I was cracking up at stupid little things like how they pronounced "Harvard".

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
C4 Top X of Y programmes are always a bit of a swindle. The public gets to vote from a pre-determined list of Y+10.

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr

Giedroyc posted:

My old boss at work missed the last episode of this, so he asked his mate what happened.

It turns out the 3 main characters were bank robbers that fled Ireland after a huge heist and assumed the identity of priests so they could live a quite life with no bother on Craggy Island. No one would suspect a priest robbing a bank. The last episode was about the cops twigging on and surrounding the island to recapture the dangerous criminals. I think it ended in a big shoot out, possibly with Mrs Doyle as a hostage.

It was a few years before he managed to catch the real last episode, he was very disappointing when he saw it.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

Pablo Bluth posted:

C4 Top X of Y programmes are always a bit of a swindle. The public gets to vote from a pre-determined list of Y+10.

I think they bottomed out with Top 100 worst Britons. Which was lazy tabloid slagging at its worst. I don't think they even considered the irony of having Gina Yashere giving her opinion on the subject.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Rondette posted:

Well it's part of their 30 year anniversary, isn't it?

They did a top X sitcoms before, years ago, I think. Though thinking about it, maybe that was just sitcom characters and it was BBC who did the sitcoms one.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
They did a top 30 channel 4 comedy programmes and couldn't find a place for Porkpie? I can't remember if it was any good or not, but I loved that theme tune as a kid.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Can a Scottish goon explain the Jolly boy John sketch from Burnistoun to me?

Or is the joke simply a self obsessed mentally ill man with a camera?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Leyburn posted:

They did a top 30 channel 4 comedy programmes and couldn't find a place for Porkpie? I can't remember if it was any good or not, but I loved that theme tune as a kid.

Porkpie had his own show? He was my favourite character in Desmond's.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

SeanBeansShako posted:

Can a Scottish goon explain the Jolly boy John sketch from Burnistoun to me?

There's no explaining it really. It'd like trying to explain a surreal Vic and Bob sketch. As far as I can get it, he's just some nutcase manchild with a webcam who spends too much time keeping his own company.

Being Scottish isn't going to help much, although in one of his sketches he sang this "Does yer maw drink wine" song that I don't think I have heard since primary school.

netally posted:

Porkpie had his own show? He was my favourite character in Desmond's.

Yeah, he won the lottery and that's all I can remember about it (besides the badass theme).

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

SeanBeansShako posted:

Or is the joke simply a self obsessed mentally ill man with a camera?

Didn't you just describe every TV show with Rab Florence in it?

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I really enjoyed the first episode of A Touch of Cloth like others said it's not very original but ehh

le chat fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 27, 2012

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

le chat posted:

I really enjoyed the first episode of A Touch of Cloth like others said it's not very original but ehh

Me too. Like it a lot. Someone mentioned the similarity to Police Squad (or Naked Gun, whatever) and that's it exactly. Loads of silly jokes in the background, loads of obvious set-ups the bit when the chav was talking gibberish for ages until John Hannah just paused and said 'what?' at exactly the right time in exactly the right way had me roaring. Any bad jokes are quickly forgotten because there's so many good ones that follow. Class.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Just rewatched it, and didn't notice too many jokes that I missed the first time round, with the exception of the first body being disposed by being put in a shopping trolley outside the Rundowne Estate and Oldman's fiancee using "Modern Lesbian Milk"

Oh and I'm changing my vote of favourite joke being Cloth showing picture after picture of the corpse to Crossbo followed by "THIS IS HIS BLOOD, DRINK IT!"

Stupid. Silly. Brilliant.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Like I mentioned earlier, it's obviously very heavily influenced by Naked Gun, and what I like is that Suranne Jones' character is Frank Drebin instead of John Hannah's Cloth.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Ah yes, there's goes the feeling of emptiness, Only Connect is back.

AuguryOwl
Jun 2, 2012

Moomoomoo!!

incredible bear posted:

Ah yes, there's goes the feeling of emptiness, Only Connect is back.

The host's joke at the end regarding dreaming of a naked Michael Portillo in her dressing room deeply disturbed me.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Touch of Cloth hospital signs:

Cardiac Ward
Renal Ward
Shayne Ward
Ear, Nose & Throat Removal
Almost Dead Jurors Ward
Second World Ward
Injections
Looks a Bit Niasty
Words on Sign

Coughs & Sneezes
Looks a Bit Nasty
Placenta Kitchen
Hattie Jacques Ward
Almost Dead Jurors Ward
Words on Sign
Pause Button OCD Unit

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

incredible bear posted:

Touch of Cloth hospital signs:

Cardiac Ward
Renal Ward
Shayne Ward
Ear, Nose & Throat Removal
Almost Dead Jurors Ward
Second World Ward
Injections
Looks a Bit Niasty
Words on Sign

Coughs & Sneezes
Looks a Bit Nasty
Placenta Kitchen
Hattie Jacques Ward
Almost Dead Jurors Ward
Words on Sign
Pause Button OCD Unit

Saving the best for last, I see.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Enjoying the Boyle Variety performance more than I thought I would.
Just laughed way too much at the stupid both types of Indian joke.
The guy in the tux shirt was funny as hell but I have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I liked the filthy Canadian woman, and that joke at the end about "What would you do if you were invisible for the day" had me in complete hysterics.

Seemed weirdly rushed though, they let that last guy tell like 3 jokes before cutting him off.