Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Boten Anna posted:

What the poo poo, I'd actually consider shelling out $30 for a quality retro RPG by SE in the tradition of their older stuff, but with those loving graphics they've got to be kidding us.

I think Capcom and Square-Enix are exchanging notes at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Am I the only one who finds the race to the bottom plaguing mobile games problematic and don't really see a problem with 30 bucks for a full length RPG?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's not that 30 bucks for a full length RPG is a problem, it's that A) it probably isn't full-length, not that that's an indicator of quality and B) it looks like it was made in loving RPG maker. Using the default settings.

Honestly, I'd probably be willing to pay 30 dollars for at least a couple of RPG maker games (Exit Fate mostly), so even the 'made in RPG Maker" ness of it isn't a huge turn-off, but it just screams laziness to me. Especially the reused assets from FF4.

Actually, using Exit Fate as an example again, one of these games was made by one of the largest companies in one of the largest industries in the world, and is being sold for thirty dollars, and one of these was made by one dude in his spare time and is completely free. Which one looks more professional to you?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 25, 2012

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
Is it just me or does every game they've released for the PSP (and a few on iOS) look like it was made in RPG Maker?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They need to take whoever's in charge of developing these iOS and PSP ports, and replace them with somebody worth paying more, and then pay them more.

Dr Pepper posted:

Am I the only one who finds the race to the bottom plaguing mobile games problematic and don't really see a problem with 30 bucks for a full length RPG?

Prices are dropping everywhere in the gaming sphere, thanks to digital distribution. I'm not by any means saying it belongs in the single-digit range, but they're charging triple the price of Chrono Trigger for a game of unproven pedigree and conspicuously low production values, and that makes it a much riskier (and therefore less tempting) purchase.

They're charging thirty bucks without doing the work necessary to create a sense that it's worth thirty bucks, in other words.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
For me the big problem with the aesthetic in Dimensions is the incredibly bland character design and the 'smoothness' of the sprites. Going for a retro look only works when the level of pixelation in the art assets is similar to the way it used to be. Hence everything looking like RPG maker crap.

Also it's hilarious how whenever anyone wants to evoke 16-bit RPGs they go with the 'Cecil standing on Mount Ordeals' shot:

E: For comparison:

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 25, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
God drat, even their raw word choice is like these games were made by sixteen-year-olds playing with RMXP.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

God drat, even their raw word choice is like these games were made by sixteen-year-olds playing with RMXP.

Or at least localized by them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Vittles posted:

Is it just me or does every game they've released for the PSP (and a few on iOS) look like it was made in RPG Maker?

The game looks bad but the entire reason "default" RPG Maker looks like it does is because it is intentionally trying to mimic-slash-update the Final Fantasy aesthetic. That's the entire point of it. Unless they change things, a smoother sprite that is trying to look like a FF sprite is going to look like somewhat like RPG maker because that is the entire point.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
It doesn't look like the same aesthetic "updated," though. The colors are way too flat. If I were making a retro game like this and trying to update the sprites a little beyond what the SNES could do, I'd go with, like, Wild Arms 1's sprite style at the very least.

And if I weren't trying to go beyond the SNES' capabilities, well, I'd go with FF6.
I mean, as it is, I can tell they took sprites from FF6 as their base, but then they just sucked all the dynamism out of them for some reason. It's really an issue of color.

Bonaventure fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 26, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bonaventure posted:

It doesn't look like the same aesthetic "updated," though. The colors are way too flat. If I were making a retro game like this and trying to update the sprites a little beyond what the SNES could do, I'd go with, like, Wild Arms 1's sprite style at the very least.

Wild Arms 1 doesn't look anything remotely like Final Fantasy's aesthetic. The sprites in Dimensions are dumb looking but instantly identifiable as an update of the FF6-ish style they've used in most of their recent stuff. The original version of it (Warriors of Light and Darkness) used 16-bit sprites exactly like TAY and they looked pretty similar.

I don't like them much myself, but "RPG Maker" is the most annoying argument about them. (You didn't really make that argument but still.) Nobody gives a poo poo if they look like RPG Maker. They're just pretty bland looking, which is a bigger problem.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 26, 2012

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Identifiable in the same way that that Jesus fresco the old lady painted over is still identifiable, yeah.

I looked up some sprites in "Warriors of Light and Darkness" right now and what I found looks leagues better and more faithful to the aesthetic they're trying for. Why did they change them?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bonaventure posted:

Identifiable in the same way that that Jesus fresco the old lady painted over is still identifiable, yeah.

I looked at the sprites in "Warriors of Light and Darkness" right now and what I found looks leagues better and more faithful to the aesthetic they're trying for. Why did they change them?

Because those sorts of sprites look pretty bad on many kinds of screens. People complained hugely about The After Years on the Wii because it kept the same style, which I presume is why they updated it for the PSP release. I presume with them expecting people to play this on tablets, they're worried about the same issue.

I think the sprites look better too but there were tons of complaints about them using "old" sprites when The After Years came out. Square-Enix takes criticism poorly so now we're stuck with this poo poo. I'd rather have the "bad" sprites than this bland poo poo but I feel that way about a lot of stuff and most people don't seem to agree.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 26, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Endorph posted:

It's not that 30 bucks for a full length RPG is a problem, it's that A) it probably isn't full-length, not that that's an indicator of quality and B) it looks like it was made in loving RPG maker. Using the default settings.

Honestly, I'd probably be willing to pay 30 dollars for at least a couple of RPG maker games (Exit Fate mostly), so even the 'made in RPG Maker" ness of it isn't a huge turn-off, but it just screams laziness to me. Especially the reused assets from FF4.

Actually, using Exit Fate as an example again, one of these games was made by one of the largest companies in one of the largest industries in the world, and is being sold for thirty dollars, and one of these was made by one dude in his spare time and is completely free. Which one looks more professional to you?

At least it doesn't have Exit Fate's absolutely poo poo-tastic character art.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
So I'm playing FF9 for the first time and it is blowing me away with how great it is. I always kind of assumed that it was part of the post-7 slide into mediocrity, but that's not the case at all. There is so much characterization crammed into the first hour that it's insane. Unless it takes a major dive halfway through or something, I seriously don't understand why this isn't lauded as much as 4, 6, and 7.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

At least it doesn't have Exit Fate's absolutely poo poo-tastic character art.
Eh, Exit Fate's character art varies from character to character. Some of it's pretty solid, some of it's meh but passable, and some of it is. Uh. Fitch.

The ones that are out-and-out bad are pretty rare, though.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

microwave casserole posted:

So I'm playing FF9 for the first time and it is blowing me away with how great it is. I always kind of assumed that it was part of the post-7 slide into mediocrity, but that's not the case at all. There is so much characterization crammed into the first hour that it's insane. Unless it takes a major dive halfway through or something, I seriously don't understand why this isn't lauded as much as 4, 6, and 7.

Some people will say it takes a dive in Disc 3, but it's not the case. It gets weirder, but the level of characterization and absolute love for worldbuilding never stops.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

As much as I love FFV, it's not a hard game by any stretch of the imagination. Once you learn how to use the job system right it becomes fairly easy.

Speaking of FFV, apparently some japanese hackers made a hack of it based off Lufia 2's Ancient cave. (That is to say, a semi-roguelike mode.)

Then these people here translated the hack.

The Ancient Cave is the sole reason why I never finished Lufia 2, so of course I need to play this hack.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

9 was released during a period of time where FF basically ruled JRPG land because it was not only significantly darker thanks to VII & VIII, but also used the hardware of the PS in a way that people thought was an interesting way to use it. That's not forgetting that the game was released a few months after the PS2 had already touched down, so most of the Playstation attention at the time was on the PS2. There's probably more factors, but I can't really think of any prominent beyond those two. FFIX sold quite well and didn't received panning from critics as far as I know, but it was sort of a victim of the times that no one really talks about it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I blame backlash from the mixed reception of FFVIII as to why more people didn't play IX. Then there were the people who had started with VII and had come to expect a semi-modern/futuristic dark aesthetic and didn't care for the more medieval light-hearted world filled with hippopotamus and rat people.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bonaventure posted:

If by this you mean that Gorilla Jesus Parka Fresco is on the same garbage-level as "oversmoothed and looks like it was shat out in flash," you're selling that old lady's hilarious work way too short :colbert:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dr Pepper posted:

A Final Fantasy game that looks like the lovechild of RPG Maker and Flash is not worth $30 on a mobile platform. For $30 you can buy several top-notch games on your mobile device, or pre-order Torchlight 2 and buy a copy of Terraria. Even Square's existing and good games like FFT:WotL aren't even that much and that's a game whose quality is known.

This RPG is not worth $30. It's probably not even worth $10, but given how low-budget it looks I doubt many people have to buy it to at least break even. It might be good but it's not going to be $30 good.

But hey, maybe people who want to play this will be able to do so on the OUYA they pre-ordered. :haw:

Endorph posted:

Loving the re-used assets from other games and the odd blurriness of everything except the text window. Not as good as the mountain shots though.

Miracon posted:

The Ancient Cave is the sole reason why I never finished Lufia 2, so of course I need to play this hack.

Spent an easy 30 hours in there on my first Lufia 2 playthrough. I finally gave up and moved on with the game after I died on floor 56 with 4 or 5 chests opened. Two were miracle plate and I think one was some shield. Would've gone nicely with the half-dozen weapons I had from prior blue chest runs.

Even going in using the Extra mode where it's nothing but running the Ancient Dungeon with a team you get to hand-picked and having blue chest gear on everyone it is an utter nightmare to reach the bottom, let alone beat the boss if you haven't planned for it and found almost-mandatory drops (Dekar Sword) so that you can use their skills.

Plus the dragons and stuff later on simply do not gently caress around and wiping your party from max health in one unlucky round is possible.

e:vvvvv are the reviews of the game even any good? For $30 on mobile the reviews better be amazing.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 26, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dimension is not even a new game, it is a port of an existing FF mobile game in Japan.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Dimension is not even a new game, it is a port of an existing FF mobile game in Japan.

It's new to everybody who didn't have one of the few Japanese feature phones on which the game was originally released.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

I'm still generally enjoying the hell out of FF9, but what is up with the random encounters? I literally can't take more than ten steps without triggering one. Is there something wrong with the PS3's emulation? I cannot believe it is supposed to be like this.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Nope, FF9 has a fairly high encounter rate. Pair it with the long load times and start up before each battle and you'll quickly understand why people say combat in that game is slow as hell. It's great, otherwise.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I'm still generally enjoying the hell out of FF9, but what is up with the random encounters? I literally can't take more than ten steps without triggering one. Is there something wrong with the PS3's emulation? I cannot believe it is supposed to be like this.

Are you in the Ice Cavern? FF9 shouldn't have that high of an encounter rate no matter what other folks will tell you. I often have to go on and on and on and on just to get an encounter myself.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I guess you can run into a fair amount on the overworld, or if you don't know where you're going in the dungeon maps. But if you do, it's really easy to get through most dungeons with 1 or 2 encounters because each individual map is pretty small.

But yeah, if you're in the ice cavern don't run into the icy wind.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Ah, now you're getting to the biggest reason why 9 is not as lauded as 4, 6, and 7. I liked the story, but due to the high encounter rate, slow start to the battles, slow animations/ATB, I couldn't finish it and won't ever play it again. It's really incredible just how slow it all is. The only RPG I've honestly had less fun playing was FF8.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

Yeah, it was the Ice Caverns that were aggravating me, though the overworld is nearly as bad. I just got to Lindblum, and in the whole string of events leading up to it there was only like one room with random encounters, so I'm not too mad about it right now. I figure sometime soon I'll be getting a Chocobo or an airship or something that will greatly help matters.

EDIT: The music is great, but I keep recognizing bits of other FF songs, and not in a homage-y way. That small town I was just in had a theme that was basically Aeris's and Balamb Garden's mushed together.

microwave casserole fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 26, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Ah, now you're getting to the biggest reason why 9 is not as lauded as 4, 6, and 7. I liked the story, but due to the high encounter rate, slow start to the battles, slow animations/ATB, I couldn't finish it and won't ever play it again. It's really incredible just how slow it all is. The only RPG I've honestly had less fun playing was FF8.

The encounter rate in IX is almost exactly the same as VII or VIII, but I'll never understand why the (only 20 seconds) loading times for battles are enough to make the game not as lauded as the others, when it's pretty much better than all of them.

The Ice Cavern is an exception because if you touch the puffs of air, you'll get into an encounter instantly.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Azure_Horizon posted:

(only 20 seconds)

That's way too long of a wait for something that arguably be triggered every 20 to 30 seconds of walking on map.
I feel like Square lost me in the Playstation era because everything became about spectacle and less about fun game play. I'm in the crusty old codger demographic I guess, but summons that take a minute to see aren't about game play, they're about spectacle.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

I feel like Square lost me in the Playstation era because everything became about spectacle and less about fun game play. I'm in the crusty old codger demographic I guess, but summons that take a minute to see aren't about game play, they're about spectacle.

They made attempts to fix the summon thing in IX, by having it so it would randomly play a shorter animation (of about maybe a few seconds) and do less damage (not that summons really matter gameplay wise in IX, when the cap is only 9999), and require you to equip a skill to a character to get the longer summon animation all the time. Which you could also unequip. And the longest one was still shorter than Eden from VIII, or KOTR from VII.

And I'm sure in X you could skip most of the animation all together. Though I could be confusing that with the dress-spheres thing, where you can watch the full cutscene, a short one, or just skip it.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Aug 26, 2012

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
After reading 14 pages of Leovinus' FF8 LP, I'm interested in playing the game again with the intention of breaking it. I'll use cards and junctions and hopefully can keep Enc-None on all the time, cause gently caress random battles. Are cards enough to have enough spells for junctions? Also, can I figure everything out for myself or do I need a guide? And is there some point in the story I shouldn't progress beyond too early if I want to max or almost max my characters?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I feel dumb asking this but can someone help me with the FF5 ancient cave hack? I applied the IPS patch with Lunar IPS and it said it worked, I load the rom up, renaming it to match the .srm file and I get 4 save files where Im on the world map and everyones at level 17 and all jobs mastered and all items/spells in my inventory. I assume this isnt right so any idea what would cause this?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
You might not have the right rom version, I recall having some issues with headers and such back in the day.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Azure_Horizon posted:

(only 20 seconds) loading times for battles

20 seconds to load a battle is completely insane. Tales of the Abyss had an extra ~5-10 seconds of load time for overworld fights and it was painful to put up with. If you got in to only 500 fights in a playthrough that's pushing 3 hours of time wasted by the fights loading.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:

Pesky Splinter posted:

And I'm sure in X you could skip most of the animation all together. Though I could be confusing that with the dress-spheres thing, where you can watch the full cutscene, a short one, or just skip it.
This is true. The full length animation plays when you first summon the Aeon, but there is an option to make any time after the first time last, in almost every case, no longer than a few seconds.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/26/the-world-ends-with-you-solo-remix-on-iphone-and-ipad-tomorrow/

Ahahahahahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Time to break out the DS and buy a used copy for half that much. :psyduck: