Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'm growing increasingly frustrated by my photography. I've been making an effort to shoot images more consciously, and while I'm shooting as much as ever and trying new things, I'm pretty discontented by the results and rarely take them any further than getting them developed or dumping them on to my hard drive. Taking a semi-competent picture isn't difficult, but I want to take photographs that make me feel something.

My favourite photographer is Steve McCurry and while I find his photographs emotionally stirring, I can't help but wonder how much of the intent behind them was a matter of expression or opportunism.

Is affective art independent of the artist's intentions? Is simply being inserted in the moment destructive to the presentation of a final image? Can art pander?

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

pseudonordic posted:

For the record, my IT director is a Pentax ME Super.

squidflakes posted:

I'm sorry, IT Director? You mean the head contractor?

y'all hosed.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Water-Wigs/4889175

These are ridiculous <edit: in a good way>, fair play to the guy for nailing the technique :)

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 24, 2012

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

evil_bunnY posted:

y'all hosed.

This is why I don't work there anymore.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

aliencowboy posted:

I'm growing increasingly frustrated by my photography. I've been making an effort to shoot images more consciously, and while I'm shooting as much as ever and trying new things, I'm pretty discontented by the results and rarely take them any further than getting them developed or dumping them on to my hard drive. Taking a semi-competent picture isn't difficult, but I want to take photographs that make me feel something.

My favourite photographer is Steve McCurry and while I find his photographs emotionally stirring, I can't help but wonder how much of the intent behind them was a matter of expression or opportunism.

Is affective art independent of the artist's intentions? Is simply being inserted in the moment destructive to the presentation of a final image? Can art pander?

Yes, not necessarily, and yes.

The simplest approach might be to seek out things that make you feel a certain way and take pictures of them. Hopefully your images will make others feel the same way.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
My philosophy on photography is a quote from a David Lynch movie. I take pictures of things so I see them again the way I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened. This can translate to photojournalism, editorial, fashion, whatever.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

^^That's typically my philosophy for processing.

As far as taking pictures, I try to take my camera with me as much as possible and when eyes tell my brain "oh gently caress", I shoot. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Visual appeal and design sense are at least tangible to me, but emotional appeal is a conundrum I don't know if I'll ever fully grasp.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 24, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My problem is when my brain goes "oh gently caress" I can't find an interesting composition. Just because the sun is breaking through some storm clouds and painting a patch of corn field yellow and it looks loving badass as I stare at it doesn't mean anyone is going to care when I put a picture of it up on the internet.

I've been trying to get better about getting myself into interesting spots when there's good light, but it's a hell of a lot of work.. especially as I normally encounter these scenes when I'm out with my wife and I feel kind of bad forcing her to stand around for 30 minutes as I dick with the camera.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

QPZIL posted:

My philosophy on photography is a quote from a David Lynch movie. I take pictures of things so I see them again the way I remember them, not necessarily the way they happened. This can translate to photojournalism, editorial, fashion, whatever.

I thought that was going to be a Winogrand quote for the first half. "I photograph to see what the world looks like in photographs."

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

xzzy posted:

My problem is when my brain goes "oh gently caress" I can't find an interesting composition. Just because the sun is breaking through some storm clouds and painting a patch of corn field yellow and it looks loving badass as I stare at it doesn't mean anyone is going to care when I put a picture of it up on the internet.

I've been trying to get better about getting myself into interesting spots when there's good light, but it's a hell of a lot of work.. especially as I normally encounter these scenes when I'm out with my wife and I feel kind of bad forcing her to stand around for 30 minutes as I dick with the camera.

Just take the damned photo. Either it works or it doesn't. If it doesn't work, figure out why it doesn't work and consider it a learning experience for next time. For every great photograph a great photographer takes, there are bazillions they took that you never see.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm gonna buy my first filter soon, a K2 (#8) Yellow. I've been shooting B&W all this time with nothing in front of the lens, so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the difference.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

QPZIL posted:

I'm gonna buy my first filter soon, a K2 (#8) Yellow. I've been shooting B&W all this time with nothing in front of the lens, so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the difference.

Red filters are the most fun for dramatic effects but they suck up a ton of light because they're pretty dark.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah, I figured a red filter would be too much for my standard shooting, but I've noticed that most of my outdoor shots have a grey boring sky, so a medium yellow filter should perk up the contrast a bit.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Are you shooting digital or film? If you're shooting digital, I know that Canon DSLRs can be set up with a picture style that simulates colour filters if you just want to mess around and see how stuff looks.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

HPL posted:

Are you shooting digital or film?

Come on son, let's be serious here.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

QPZIL posted:

Come on son, let's be serious here.

To be consistent, instead of instantly replying to his answer with your computer, you should reply by a handwritten note, sent by post, with an expensive stamp.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

spog posted:

To be consistent, instead of instantly replying to his answer with your computer, you should reply by a handwritten note, sent by post, with an expensive stamp.

Oh I did, he should be getting it in a couple months depending on how often the horseman needs to stop.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
Meh...I got sick of trying to document the world as is. It just does not happen fast enough for me to be interested in it. So I drag lights and reflectors and hammer that poo poo into something I like, on demand. Much happier now.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Sad Dorkroom discussion.

Neil Armstrong. Moon Photographer.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

squidflakes posted:

Sad Dorkroom discussion.

Will no one think of the poor Hasselblad ELMs that monster left to to rot on the surface of the moon? :argh:

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

8th-samurai posted:

Will no one think of the poor Hasselblad ELMs that monster left to to rot on the surface of the moon? :argh:

Those things are still there. We could bring them back and start using them again like NBD.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately you'd get thrown in jail the instant you got back into range of law enforcement.. they already have laws about touching artifacts on the moon.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately you'd get thrown in jail the instant you got back into range of law enforcement.. they already have laws about touching artifacts on the moon.

Dude if you can get to the moon just to get a fee Hasselblad, I think you can avoid the local constabulary. :wotwot:

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

squidflakes posted:

Sad Dorkroom discussion.

He should have picked a model with better skin.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

squidflakes posted:

I... I can cut this down to 2 4X5 sheets right? :gizz:

What would you do with the other half?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Mr. Bigsby - sell me your RB67 thingy!

Impact Damage
Mar 1, 2007

Try to avoid these conditions as much as possible.
Not to steal Bigsby's spotlight but I've got an RB67 kit I'm looking to get rid of and I just haven't taken the time to make an entry to the buy/sell thread:

-Pro-SD Body
-90mm K/L Lens
-Waistlevel Finder
-Non-metered Prism
-67 Back
-645 Back w/ ground glass mask
-Polaroid Back
-Left handed grip

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I am now one of THOSE PEOPLE. Sent my 1D3 and 70-200 f/4 in to Canon for repairs. Body had a circuit board or something replaced that was causing battery drain, and then they did a bunch of other stuff during their cleaning and checking, including AF calibration, angle adjustments, etc. The 70-200 needed parts of the focus mechanism replaced / repaired as well.

So I threw ~$425 at them, and they sent me all my stuff back. Cool, everything works now.

I went and shot some senior photos, then started editing. I routinely zoom in to eyes and faces to check focus and to edit skin tones. As I'm editing, everything is a little softer than it usually is. I feel like I'm being paranoid / crazy, but I keep editing and checking, and it starts getting a little ridiculous. There is definitely more missed focus. I even installed a trial of Aperture so I could see where my chosen focus point was.

So after consulting with that, I ran a more controlled test: I printed off a focus chart, set up my tripod and took a bunch of focus test shots.

Sure enough, they show a consistent backfocus with both my 70-200 and 17-35. I'm pretty sure my dialed-in AF microadjustment should fix the issue, but it still kind of pisses me off that my camera is worse off after just coming back from Canon's service center. How does that happen?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
If you shot with an ME Super, it wouldn't :smug:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Elite Taco posted:

Mr. Bigsby - sell me your RB67 thingy!

I am over in Sweden so if you are in the US you are likely better off picking one up from KEH. Not sure what they go for now, but a few years back you could get an entire outfit for 200 bucks or so.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Martytoof posted:

How many times a day do you think some manager at a fortune 500 company says "How much?! But I can buy a 2TB external drive at best buy for a hundred bucks!"

This happened to me the other day and it came from the head of one of our reference data management teams in front of our divisional head.

He said "well no because you need to pay for mirroring and fibre connections and redundancy etc. etc." and the rest of us just sat there feeling awkward as someone crashed and burned.

Mind you £10/Gb is pretty loving ridiculous.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Martytoof posted:

How many times a day do you think some manager at a fortune 500 company says "How much?! But I can buy a 2TB external drive at best buy for a hundred bucks!"

Oh, I love doing that to the infrastructure team. :)

Usually the conversation goes something like:
:reject: Hey, your logs are filling up the disk again.
:v: So buy some more.
:reject: No way, don't have the budget.
:v: But disk is cheap!
:reject: No it's not.
:v: Look, I can walk down to the warehouse and pick up a 1TB drive for next to nothing, you're telling me I can't have 300 gig for logs?
:reject: THIS IS DIFFERENT DISK, OK

They know that I know, but it is still fun to gently caress with them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm pretty lucky where I work.. users can have all the disk they want if they can cough up the budget for it.

IT generates specifications, users pick what they can afford from the list, and we put it on the network. If they want more disk, they can buy more disk.

It works extremely well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

IT generates specifications, users pick what they can afford from the list, and we put it on the network. If they want more disk, they can buy more disk.

It works extremely well.
Yeah boi.

How often do you think you can you afford to be down? This is what it costs. How often do you think now?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Had a customer show up with a pile of 2TB USB drives from Best Buy a few weeks ago. They wanted to plug them into their SAN.

It didn't go very well.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I like the premise of this new show, Capture. Take a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfmifVKpat8

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Santa is strapped posted:

I like the premise of this new show, Capture. Take a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfmifVKpat8

poo poo, i've never heard of Platon before but i recognize a lot of his images...awesome stuff. i'm guessing the key to his general look is "shoot with a wideangle close to the subject"

whereismyshoe fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 29, 2012

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Not sure where to put this...
http://o.canada.com/2012/08/28/your...f397196d7476f6e

but I guess here works. There doesn't appear to be any direct advice in there, at least.

Tunnelman
Feb 28, 2010

aaag air flow

whereismyshoe posted:

poo poo, i've never heard of Platon before but i recognize a lot of his images...awesome stuff. i'm guessing the key to his general look is "shoot with a wideangle close to the subject"

He's really fantastic, he did a workshop in Santa Fe and I got to hear him do a talk about his shoots, really funny and extremely nice guy. His book is wonderful as well, it includes his journal pages scanned in at the back about some of the shoots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

whereismyshoe posted:

It's more his lighting than the gear.

It's a neat idea for a show but Dylan "pretentious art student" McDermett kind of ruined it for me