Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Skizzles posted:

I'm not sure Aussies even come in brindle (help me out here, Aussie people). I think you're thinking of merle. But yes your dog is brindle.

And I said this just a few posts ago right up the page that purple tongues are not unique to Chows, they can show up in several breeds. I think I'm going to have to rank this as the #1 most popular dog myth. I don't know why I even try anymore, everyone must think I'm retarded to get my panties in a bunch over it all the time. :downs:

Yeah I saw you say that. I'm just saying that since the Wisdom Panel said he was part Chow, the tongue kinda confirmed it; however, I do recognize that other breeds have the purple tongue and Wisdom Panels aren't that accurate (i.e. Hazel's).

Edit: Top of the page, and what's a page without a dog picture?

Fudge approves of the sunroof in my new car.

The Big Jesus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaiger
Oct 21, 2003

Flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Skizzles posted:

And I said this just a few posts ago right up the page that purple tongues are not unique to Chows, they can show up in several breeds. I think I'm going to have to rank this as the #1 most popular dog myth. I don't know why I even try anymore, everyone must think I'm retarded to get my panties in a bunch over it all the time. :downs:

After your post I looked into it a little bit (5 minutes of google). My research was far from exhaustive, but the few sites I looked at only listed Chows, Shar-Peis and Eurasiers as having totally black tongues. They agree with you in that virtually any dog can have black spots, but that's not what we're talking about. My dogs have no pink in their mouths at all. If you have a source to indicate otherwise, I'd be interested to read it.

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

Where is my motherfucking HAT
This is Stella, she was posted back when she was a puppy but she's gotten WAY larger than we expected. The shelter had her marked as an Aussie Shepard mix and as a puppy that was plausible! Nowadays I am thinking, not so much.

She stands 29 inches tall at the shoulder, 30 at her rump, she is 34 inches from neck to butt with a 34 inch chest and a 24 inch waist. She was 70 pounds at her last vaccination and I am guessing she's a little over that now as she's gotten a little larger overall. I'll find out next Monday when she gets her next set done.

She's got a ton on energy at 2.5 years old, loves water but hates the rain.

What do you fine folks think?

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I'd stake my life on Australian Cattledog!

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Or maybe a Catahoula hound mix? I don't know how common they are.

Edit: Hmm...maybe too short-coated....Australian Cattle Dog is probably a better guess :)

Shebrew fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 14, 2012

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

The markings are spot on (spot, get it) but she TOWERS over the cattledogs at the shop, like nearly a foot taller!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Shebrew posted:

Or maybe a Catahoula hound mix? I don't know how common they are.

Edit: Hmm...maybe too short-coated....

Houlas are merle, that do is ticked and roaned. I'd guess ACD+something huge and carrying extreme white but something like a german shorthair pointer could give that level of ticking too.

Edit: My ACD mix is 80 lbs.

vv Could have some lab/have a half lab parent but she needs to have two parents carrying extreme white to have that coloration and pure labs don't. vv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 14, 2012

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

She acts like a hyper intelligent lab most of the time (so smart she's stupid) could lab give the the size boost?

Oh, on the pointer thing, she does point at the plastic bag I use on her flirt pole. She started doing in as a puppy and we've encouraged the behavior with a treat and a "show me" command.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Definitely German Short hair Pointer + maybe a little lab.

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

The Big Jesus posted:

Definitely German Short hair Pointer + maybe a little lab.

Do the pointers usually run that large? I've always thought they were closer to the 19 inch range.

She really does look like a hunting dog from an olde englishe painting :)

Pengwynne
Feb 11, 2009
This is my little girl Bronwen. I got her when I was looking for a puppy but was looking at a pug or something that didn't need huge amounts of exercise because of my job.
A week after she came home:

The family I got her from had four dogs without puppies, the group went up to 11 with puppies. They were stoners and were having difficulty paying for food for themselves and the older dogs let alone the pups so I took her home with me and never regretted it.
Fully body shot:

What I know she has: fox terrier crossed with something fluffy (mum) and american staffy crossed with something taller (dad). A friend who used to breed kelpies suspects she has some in her due to her eyes and colouring but really it's anyone's guess. She's roughly the size of a regular cat, maybe a little taller. Recently she's been pulling on her collars to make them tighter so I've had to remove those for now.

A few days after I put in the dog door and it rained. She decided to decorate the entire kitchen and dining room floor in puppy paw prints.:

She likes long walks in the mud and horse poop. She will complain bitterly when given a bath and then go right back out to roll in smelly stuff again. She loves food but treats for training don't work on her, she just loses interest. She also has a habit of sucking her paw the way a little kid would suck their thumb.
And jumping on my head in the mornings when I'm trying to sleep in.
Stealing socks.
Eating my students' assignments... so awesome when you have to call up a parent and inform them you have to replace a kid's book because your dog ate their homework.

I loves her :3:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Aww, she's really cute. She almost looks Italian Greyhound-ish but I might be biased because I saw one today.

Pengwynne
Feb 11, 2009
I'd never heard of that before but from the images I just googled she fits the look. She has that huge chest to tiny wait going on. She also likes to imitate armadillos:
http://youtu.be/NzEAGPQJ5Lc?hd=1

Torturing her with socks can also be fun:
http://youtu.be/KuLAU3m_tqo?hd=1

My partner pissed himself laughing at me when I bought a whole pile of cheap socks on the basis of them eventually ending up as puppy toys.

Green Man
Aug 15, 2012

Pengwynne posted:

This is my little girl Bronwen.
Your dog looks almost exactly like my dog, except mine is a darker color. I'm not sure of the breed of my dog either but based on my research I think he's some kind of Patterdale Terrier mix. When we picked him up the people said he was a lab/pomeranian mix (yeah right).

He's grown up a bit since these pictures and looks more mature but he seriously looks exactly like your dog.

Green Man fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 16, 2012

YummyTarts
Sep 2, 2007
Frosted Strawberry Toaster Pastries!

Aery posted:

This is Stella, she was posted back when she was a puppy but she's gotten WAY larger than we expected. The shelter had her marked as an Aussie Shepard mix and as a puppy that was plausible! Nowadays I am thinking, not so much.

What do you fine folks think?

Bluetick coonhound mixed with lab is my guess. She's got the weight and color, the Bluetick should tend to have a dark face and ears, but that kinda looks like a lab face and definitely not coon dog ears. Behavior is about right too. She ever bay? What does it sound like, if so.

Pengwynne
Feb 11, 2009

Green Man posted:

He's grown up a bit since these pictures and looks more mature but he seriously looks exactly like your dog.

The middle photo especially, he's got the same white paws except on the back feet! I love the colouring, he's so sweet! How old is he now?

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

YummyTarts posted:

Bluetick coonhound mixed with lab is my guess. She's got the weight and color, the Bluetick should tend to have a dark face and ears, but that kinda looks like a lab face and definitely not coon dog ears. Behavior is about right too. She ever bay? What does it sound like, if so.

Nope, she's never bayed. She has a few barks, a typical big dog woof, a quieter wuff when she wants food and an unholy high pitched yap when she's bored or lonely.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Aery posted:

Nope, she's never bayed. She has a few barks, a typical big dog woof, a quieter wuff when she wants food and an unholy high pitched yap when she's bored or lonely.

Yeah, I'm going to stick with cattledog mix with that description. Everyone loves the bored ACD talking.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Momma was an almost-purebred redbone coonhound, what was pappy? I think he was a Labrador, but if you ask my cousin (his owner) he'll tell you, "Probably a dog." :toot:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Yeah, I'm going to stick with cattledog mix with that description. Everyone loves the bored ACD talking.

Yeah he looks like a blue ACD without some of the red you see in blue heelers.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

demozthenes posted:

Momma was an almost-purebred redbone coonhound, what was pappy? I think he was a Labrador, but if you ask my cousin (his owner) he'll tell you, "Probably a dog." :toot:

Labby as hell. Which would make both of you technically correct- the best kind of correct!

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Got my dog from the Humane Society last September. She was half off and was in the Lonely Hearts Club. So naturally I name her Sgt. Peppers.

She was listed as a Pit Bull mix, and I've heard boxer and Whippet so I have 0 idea.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I just see boxer/pit. I can see how that tail would give someone the whippet impression though.

sporktastic
Jan 30, 2005
100%originalsin
This is my dog Chester.

He's about 12 years old now. We got him from the Anti-Cruelty Society when he was a puppy.

We think he's a husky/german shepherd mix.

He's only 39 lbs. so maybe he's mixed with some smaller breed as well.

He is the best dog.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Skizzles posted:

I just see boxer/pit. I can see how that tail would give someone the whippet impression though.

Her body style is similar to pictures of whippets, and goddamn she is fast. She runs circles around my buddies pit

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

sporktastic posted:

This is my dog Chester.

Does anyone else see some Akita in there?

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I was thinking Akita too, especially since if huskies do come in that color/pattern (which I'm not sure they do) it's not very common. A lot more common in Akitas though. That face seems wider than a husky face too.

Solstice
Mar 12, 2002

Non-violent for the entire family!

Picked up this pretty girl from the county shelter. She has an okay name but I'm not a huge fan so if anyone has any name suggestions, don't be shy. She's a kisser, learns quickly, and her favorite game so far is fetch and a little keep-away.

Her previous owner said she was a lab mix and the shelter said lab/pointer but I'd guess she's pit/one or none of those? She's 55lbs and ~1 year old. Couldn't get a good body shot because while she sits politely, she won't stand still at all. Her build is quite skinny with fairly long legs and a very trim "waist". Reminds me of a slightly chunkier greyhound although greyhound mix seems unlikely. Any ideas?

My mother has already expressed concern that this dog is going to snap and kill my entire family one day so if you guys have any advice on not getting mauled please let me know. Thanks ;P

lionskull
Jul 12, 2006

sporktastic posted:

This is my dog Chester.

I see Akita too - the coloring, that fluffy rear end coat, and that heavy boned body all look like a couple Akitas I've known. I would say Akita/GSD because his face looks a lot like my GSD(xlab) mutt. He's gorgeous.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Solstice posted:

Picked up this pretty girl from the county shelter. She has an okay name but I'm not a huge fan so if anyone has any name suggestions, don't be shy. She's a kisser, learns quickly, and her favorite game so far is fetch and a little keep-away.

Her previous owner said she was a lab mix and the shelter said lab/pointer but I'd guess she's pit/one or none of those? She's 55lbs and ~1 year old. Couldn't get a good body shot because while she sits politely, she won't stand still at all. Her build is quite skinny with fairly long legs and a very trim "waist". Reminds me of a slightly chunkier greyhound although greyhound mix seems unlikely. Any ideas?

My mother has already expressed concern that this dog is going to snap and kill my entire family one day so if you guys have any advice on not getting mauled please let me know. Thanks ;P

She is pretty sighthound-y, I'll agree. Greyhound or whippet mix is not as unusual as you might think, depending on where you are. Of course, sighthound crosses are more common in Europe than anywhere in the US, but in some parts of the States there are dog tracks that will sell retired racers direct from the track, and those dogs are intact.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

sporktastic posted:

This is my dog Chester.

I also see Akita, maybe with some border collie? He's a handsome guy :3:

Solstice posted:

Her previous owner said she was a lab mix and the shelter said lab/pointer but I'd guess she's pit/one or none of those?

I see pit too, but let your mom think she's lab/pointer. Its easier that way and doesn't hurt anyone :) Are there greyhounds in your area? Pit/greyhound "looks" like it would fit her.

mutantmanifesto
Nov 6, 2004

Wilson: Why don't you buy your canes at a medical supply store like a normal cripple?
House: Fewer bitchin' choices.
Meet Lucy, my 1-2ish year old terrier mix whom I adopted on Saturday.

She was listed as a cairn mix, but I am seeing more border/norfolk. The only thing with her is, goddamn look how LONG SHE IS. She's so loving long! Dachshund long. Also quite the stumpy-legged girl.

Her disposition is incredibly chill. She likes to relax and lick and cuddle. She gets excited when she's outside, but she's just very very VERY mellow.

She also really sucks at sitting still for pictures, but here's a face shot:

What do you guys think? What is she?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Purebred Luck Dragon, I think :)

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Does her tail curl?

She looks a bit like my Westie x Maltese (who also looks like Falcor) - but I can't tell from the angles if her muzzle is shorter than a Cairn or Norfolk.

mutantmanifesto
Nov 6, 2004

Wilson: Why don't you buy your canes at a medical supply store like a normal cripple?

Engineer Lenk posted:

Does her tail curl?

She looks a bit like my Westie x Maltese (who also looks like Falcor) - but I can't tell from the angles if her muzzle is shorter than a Cairn or Norfolk.

No real tail curl. It stays straight for the most part. It might come up a BIT at the end when she wags, but that's about it.

Muzzle shot with my friend

And me with messy hair for another face shot

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

That face does look pretty cairnish to me, but a lot of scruffy brown terrier mixes look quite alike. She's so adorably scruffy! Maybe cairn/yorkie? I doubt there's any norfolk in there unless you live in a crazy place where they're popular; they tend to be fairly rare dogs.

mutantmanifesto
Nov 6, 2004

Fraction posted:

That face does look pretty cairnish to me, but a lot of scruffy brown terrier mixes look quite alike. She's so adorably scruffy! Maybe cairn/yorkie? I doubt there's any norfolk in there unless you live in a crazy place where they're popular; they tend to be fairly rare dogs.

She was rescued from I believe a SC high kill shelter. No idea what terriers are popular down there so I was just going from memory of when I worked at a doggy daycare. She could definitely be cairn, but gently caress she's so long! I'm starting to think cairn/wire haired dachshund/some other terrier maybe (borderish ears/face to me, but because she's so short border might be out). She's long enough that when I pick her up, I have to do the two handed, support the back procedure.

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012
This is Laika, we adopted her about a year ago. She's definitely a Shepherd mix and given her coat and love for fetch/frisbee we're assuming Lab as well. She was easy to train and is the biggest snuggle pup I've ever known.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Please don't make her go for any rocket rides. :ohdear:

She's beautiful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solstice
Mar 12, 2002

Non-violent for the entire family!
Thanks so much for your suggestions! A little googling has taught me that this cesspool of a state I live in (Florida) is actually the greyhound racing capitol of the US. Turns out there are 3 dog tracks ~45 minutes or less from her previous home. I was under the impression tracks never sold intact dogs outside of the racing industry so thank you for educating me.

Also, after a lot of reading more about dog racing, I will be actively and financially supporting whatever anti-racing initiatives I can.