Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Just got a Fuji BJJ gi online and I shrank it a bit by just washing it in hot water and then hot dryer. Any other tips or techniques anyone has for really shrinking a gi? It could stand to lose another inch or half inch in the sleeves and other areas too.

It sucks because my judo gi that I have is too small, and now the BJJ gi I bought is too big. Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

This one, holy poo poo.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

swagger like us posted:

Just got a Fuji BJJ gi online and I shrank it a bit by just washing it in hot water and then hot dryer. Any other tips or techniques anyone has for really shrinking a gi? It could stand to lose another inch or half inch in the sleeves and other areas too.

Keep doing the hot washer/dryer thing. It'll keep shrinking.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I love me some spats, but I draw the line at morphsuits. I feel that if I delve too deeply into why they were invented in the first place...

:psypop:

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Goons got the gimpsuit fever man there's no turning back now.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
you should not rely on a gimp suit to win a match.

they should not excuse gimp suit to lose a match.

one must learn to see a man of earth with the same eye as a heap of gold.

training 4 times a day makes me delusional. Or clairvoyant.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Israfel posted:

Goons got the gimpsuit fever man there's no turning back now.

There has to be one that looks like Bruce Lee from Game of Death. This would make everything in the world complete.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Fontoyn posted:

How do you maintain a balance between being fast and throwing heavy? I've always experienced it as a zero-sum game. Whenever I sit down on my punches they come off accurate and strong but too slow to not be countered immediately.

This is were combinations come into play. light jab followed by a strong jab. You don't have to put everything into your punches to do damage either. If you sit and throw with proper technique it will come out fast and strong.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Fontoyn posted:

How do you maintain a balance between being fast and throwing heavy? I've always experienced it as a zero-sum game. Whenever I sit down on my punches they come off accurate and strong but too slow to not be countered immediately.

Wear a gimpsuit and all your troubles will be over, you will become both fast and strong.

Also combinations like KD says over there, quick jab + stiffer jab with a step and when they drop their weight a little and lean to the right during the second one, insta-follow with massive right cross over their shoulder, ha ha!

Also timing. I try to throw with any authority maybe 20% of the time (I'm also a terrible - or terrific - pillow puncher for someone who is 200-210lbs esp. with the left straight). Aaaand some of them are just warning shots too: I count on hitting a block but that's the idea, I want to hammer that block so hard my target starts thinking about not really wanting to catch one of those flush.

Of the 80% shots that are left, they are either quick ones I use to pepper, annoy, fake, lure or time my enemy OR they are counters. If you get them to attack and counter it with your feet planted your quick and relaxed straight becomes an eye-blackening hammer as they run into.

(Pro wrestling is the strongest style.)

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
That's the thing about gimp suits, they cut down on wind resistance and will literally make your punches easier to do, therefore stronger in effect.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
For speed and power you've gotta let your hips do all the work.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Gimp suits are loving done. Today's stylish grappler is taking his cues from the fighters of la lutte senegalaise.

Could some kind-hearted Francophone give a breakdown of this news clip?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Could some kind-hearted Francophone give a breakdown of this news clip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so43Gndfegk

This is basically the same thing, different information, but your video is just an intro to wrestling in Senegal, and the difference between traditional and modern Senegalese wrestling

Guilty fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 28, 2012

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How do you guys deal with stress and freezing up in the ring? I don't want to freeze up like last time

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CivilDisobedience posted:

For speed and power you've gotta let your hips do all the work.

Agreed, the most powerful dude I train with (outside of the two instructors) is the lightest guy in the class by at least 10kgs, because he's the most relaxed and uses technique better than anyone else.

If you're trying to hit hard chances are you're not going to, if you relaxed, use your hips properly and focus on technique you'll get faster and more powerful before you know it.

I used to struggle with leg kicks because I was trying to hit too hard. Being relaxed and turning over your hips properly; relying on text book technique, hits a lot harder than trying like a motherfucker to drive your shin through the bag, pad or someone's thigh.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Fontoyn posted:

How do you guys deal with stress and freezing up in the ring? I don't want to freeze up like last time

experience. This is the only true answer, but you could try simulating the ring environment; have people yell and shout instructions (however half assed/dumb) put the music on 15 and go competition speed. Train in front of the class with everyone watching.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Bleh, this place seems so painfully like a McDojo but it's 2 minutes from where I'm transferring to

http://teamusba.com/

I want to go for Muay Thai. I went tonight to try a class and they require a introductory one on one. Is that a common thing? All staff walkin around with black belts. Even the desk folk. They also advertise being "Team Ganyao" because some famous Thai guy? "oversees" the training regiment. He does workshops, I guess. (that you have to pay for)

Whatever, I shouldn't be so quick to talk. I'll check it out tomorrow

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A 1 on 1 isn't always a bad thing. I checked out a gym near me that required it, and it was pretty cool. I decided not to enroll because of their expensive rates, but I actually appreciated the 1 on 1.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Last night I managed to remove most of the skin on the knuckles of my hand in BJJ, any tips for preventing this or will it just harden up in time?

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
It'll callous up over time. Put some tape or something over if it's hurting or still an open wound while you train.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Syphilis Fish posted:

... you could try simulating the ring environment; have people yell and shout instructions (however half assed/dumb) put the music on 15 and go competition speed. Train in front of the class with everyone watching.

This is a good idea if you can do that. The BF club I train at does at one of the sparring classes. Basically everyone gets to (has to) fight against someone as close to their size as possible in a ring (which often meant I was fighting a 6'3 or 6'7 monster - truly what I would describe as fun) while everyone else is watching and shout and yell. There's a ref, judges and somebody in your corner.

A spring of that, and the first time I was doing assaut in front of 100+ people felt like shopping for groceries. Without, I'm sure I would have been terrified if simply because of the novelty of the situation.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
Smelly clothes chat...does anyone have a good way to remove the dirty sweat smell from either clothing or gear. A guy at the place I trained recommended oxyclean and for some reason I think I remember someone from this thread recommending vinegar or some such?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Rikthor posted:

Smelly clothes chat...does anyone have a good way to remove the dirty sweat smell from either clothing or gear. A guy at the place I trained recommended oxyclean and for some reason I think I remember someone from this thread recommending vinegar or some such?

I like to put vinegar (or any other acid really) in the bleach cup. It works wonder for me! That and putting your gear in the freezer if a specefic piece of equipment is getting out of hand,

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Vinegar works on everything except (I'm told) wetsuits.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Syphilis Fish posted:

experience. This is the only true answer, but you could try simulating the ring environment; have people yell and shout instructions (however half assed/dumb) put the music on 15 and go competition speed. Train in front of the class with everyone watching.

This works surprisingly well. One of the GB places I trained out of for 2 months in a different town had a "Competition class" for an hour every week, where basically they had everyone cycle through a fake competition where everyone had a position as scorekeeper, referee and competitor.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
SMELL-CHAT:

I, also, vouch for VINEGAR. I soak my training clothes in a heavy vinegar/luke-warm water mix every 2 or 3 months for 1-2 hours. Wash like normally after. No more smell.

For gloves and poo poo you can't wash, leave in the sun for 2 weeks if you live in the Sahara desert or freeze them solid for a few days (at least?) and let thaw, I heard it helps but I haven't had any success with the freezing procedure myself. I just try to let all my gloves and shoes dry completely before I use them again, which means I have to have many pairs.

They are still not exactly fresh but increases usability to the point they disintegrate before you have to dump them because of other reasons (like horrid miasma).

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Does vinager help with the brownish/yellow staining on gis? I have to assume its a sweat stain, or something like that. I don't want to bleach my gis because it will shorten their life span, but they're starting to look a little funky and I'm looking for answers. Oxy Clean did not help.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Christoff posted:

Bleh, this place seems so painfully like a McDojo but it's 2 minutes from where I'm transferring to

http://teamusba.com/

I want to go for Muay Thai. I went tonight to try a class and they require a introductory one on one. Is that a common thing? All staff walkin around with black belts. Even the desk folk. They also advertise being "Team Ganyao" because some famous Thai guy? "oversees" the training regiment. He does workshops, I guess. (that you have to pay for)

Whatever, I shouldn't be so quick to talk. I'll check it out tomorrow

they're probably legit, but that won't keep them from ripping you off mcdojo style...it's called the gracie method

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

I add two tablespoons of baking soda to the washing machine, it gets rid of any odours asap. No kidding, it really works..

Also if you regularly use Thai boxing liniment, everything will smell like it anyway :)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Is it a bad idea to let gloves soak in vinegar? Or soak in anything at all? I don't like the idea of letting them sit in the sun.

Tonight I have my "FREE CUSTOMARY" one on one. What is some dude going to hold pads for me and see if I can kick? At any rate hopefully they'll at least let me try a class after that. But I'm sure they'll be hounding for a contract right after.

Again, it's so painfully McDojo but the commute is a huge difference

glasseye
Aug 29, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There's something I've always wondered. It's established that MMA combat sport styles work the best in the ring, but would they actually be useful in a real-life self defense situation? Does it depend on what an assailant is trained in, if anything?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Welp. Here comes the can of worms and bouncer vs martial artists arguement. Aka my dad can beat up your dad.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

glasseye posted:

There's something I've always wondered. It's established that MMA combat sport styles work the best in the ring, but would they actually be useful in a real-life self defense situation? Does it depend on what an assailant is trained in, if anything?

Real self-defense situations often involve weapons, multiple opponents, and they are usually started without prior warning by an assailant who chooses the time and place of the attack. Martial arts, of any kind, is of course helpful - it can make you mentally tougher, and it's better than nothing at all. But most martial arts do not prepare you for a real attack.

Martial arts are great for certain "self-defense" situations - like that jerk at the bar who is itching to show everyone how tough he is, etc. But those situations aren't really about life-and-death, and they aren't really legitimate attacks. So sure, martial arts training (and MMA, specifically) can help you defend yourself against loudmouths, drunks, and crazy homeless people, but against a person who is willing to kill you, who intentionally chooses his victims and plans his attack? Not so much.

Training will give you a better chance than an untrained person, but it's basically upping your chance of survival from 2% to 5%.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Christoff posted:

Welp. Here comes the can of worms and bouncer vs martial artists arguement.

Sweet, its been like ten days since the last one.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

eine dose socken posted:

I add two tablespoons of baking soda to the washing machine, it gets rid of any odours asap. No kidding, it really works..

Also if you regularly use Thai boxing liniment, everything will smell like it anyway :)

Hey a side Q: Does that poo poo actually work? The liniment I mean...how do you use it/what does it actually do?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

glasseye posted:

Contrived analogy time!

A "real life self-defense situation" is to a ring competition what the Amazon Rainforest is to your backyard. Real life self-defense actually means "violence in the world" and that's a crazy huge topic. Being great at MMA covers a tiny, tiny portion of the issue.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

swagger like us posted:

This works surprisingly well. One of the GB places I trained out of for 2 months in a different town had a "Competition class" for an hour every week, where basically they had everyone cycle through a fake competition where everyone had a position as scorekeeper, referee and competitor.

We do it too now. You get matched up, everyone watches, start standing (BJJ, have a tendance to sit down) and go. Maybe there'll be two matches going on if its a really big class. It is intense.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'd probably just run away from a fight. Martial arts are really scary and even fighting someone in a controlled scenario is pretty nerve wracking.

If I couldn't take them down or pull some slick submission where they couldn't just bite chunks out of my legs I'd try to disengage or throw poo poo at em.

On that note, what subs are safe? Ie I can't get bounced off the pavement or bitten

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 30, 2012

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

lol don't worry bro like 2 months of bjj and you're pretty much invincible on the street

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzh9koy7b1E&feature=player_detailpage#t=24s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Fontoyn posted:

On that note, what subs are safe? Ie I can't get bounced off the pavement or bitten

I was a bouncer for a couple of years in 1999-2000. There really aren't any safe subs. You always want to be working with at least one other guy who can watch your surroundings while you deal with the problem dude.

It's definitely a completely different thing from any MA, and it's not about forcing a guy to submit or KO'ing them, it's about getting them out of the venue and into a situation where attacking you again is too intimidating (ie, they'd obviously be attacking 2 or 3 large bouncers who are all in a group and ready to defend themselves).

That said, most standing chokes are pretty "safe", especially if you can get them on a guy from behind. Standing arm locks can be pretty good. Neither of those are for submission, they're for controlling a guy until you can get him to the door and push/throw him away from you. If you simply "submit" someone and release them, there's a good chance they'll just attack you again. If you choke them out, there's a (small) chance you'll kill them (and also choking someone unconscious looks really bad if it goes to court - worse than striking them, which you also never want to do).

As an example of how hosed it is, I was once ejecting a guy who took a swing at me, and my partner was holding back his friends who were trying to help him. While my back was turned and my partner was distracted, the guy's girlfriend KO'd me by hitting the back of my head with her heavy shoe (I don't know what those shoes are called, it's like a high heel shape but the whole bottom is one solid wedge of wood). If the other bouncers hadn't arrived, I probably would have copped a pretty bad kicking.

These days, I'd run away from a street fight for sure.

Edit: most of the bouncers I worked with would have been loving useless in an MMA fight. The situations are just completely different things.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 30, 2012

• Locked thread