Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
My garden is starting to look bare after harvesting and taking down the snow peas and bush beans. The poor carrots were too squished between them but now are free.

Pumpkin

After harvesting the beans and peas, it looks pretty empty.

The roma tomatoes are finally coming out

The one beef tomato plant.

The last bean harvest.

Crazy tiny greenhouse in our backyard, overgrown with blackberries; time to make some blackberry jam (I call the greenhouse The Orchid, for any Lost lovers. It is just that overgrown. I actually went to the filming location in Oahu, and there's a resemblance.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Here's my garden, it's coming well and my tomatoes are starting to ripen! Can't wait.
Radishes have all been pulled so that's the big gap in the centre:

And my hot peppers are growing...directly upwards? I know they need to reach for the sun but this is what all three of my hot pepper plants are doing!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Toriori posted:

And my hot peppers are growing...directly upwards? I know they need to reach for the sun but this is what all three of my hot pepper plants are doing!

That tends to happen if you plant a cultivar from the opposite hemisphere.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ok so, I'm still fighting the Harlequin Bugs. I've tried diatomaceous earth, neem oil, insecticidal soap, and today, pyrethrin. They've just laughed at me. Asking for tips before I resort to non organic control insecticides. Their number is probably closer to that of an ant colony right now on a select number of plants (Early girl tomatoes, tree collards) while others go untouched (as of now). They've already killed my arugula and snow peas, the early girls were right next door. If I do have to go with conventional pesticide, what should I use?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Desmond posted:

My garden is starting to look bare after harvesting and taking down the snow peas and bush beans. The poor carrots were too squished between them but now are free.

Pumpkin

After harvesting the beans and peas, it looks pretty empty.
I cut my peas off at the base rather than pulling them since I wanted to leave the nirogen-fixing stuff in the ground for a while. Then I stuck peas in the dirt, and it's been a couple weeks and they're 6-10 inches tall.

24/7 smokeSnow treesPeas erryday :2bong:

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I did the same with my peas and I have some winter crop starts coming up now in a seed tray to replace them. Kale, cauliflower, turnips, rutabaga, beets, Chinese cabbage and maybe spinach if the seed weren't too old.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Ok so, I'm still fighting the Harlequin Bugs. I've tried diatomaceous earth, neem oil, insecticidal soap, and today, pyrethrin. They've just laughed at me. Asking for tips before I resort to non organic control insecticides. Their number is probably closer to that of an ant colony right now on a select number of plants (Early girl tomatoes, tree collards) while others go untouched (as of now). They've already killed my arugula and snow peas, the early girls were right next door. If I do have to go with conventional pesticide, what should I use?

Did you try the soap and pyrethrin at the same time? One site suggests that they work better together.

I'm not seeing any suggestions for pesticides at all. Everything is for prevention and mitigation before the population explodes. Stuff like row covers, trap crops and removing debris they overwinter in.

On a related note, if anyone is having or has had chronic problems with aphids then try using nasturiums as a trap crop. I found a 10 foot section of nasturtiums today at the community garden that was completely infested by aphids. They love nasturtiums and eat them instead of your other plants. Once the nasturtiums start to look ragged just tear them out and compost.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Envirocycle Composter should be here any day now. Watching tracking on recent orders is maddening. This composter is coming to Utah from Iowa via Chicago. Logistics my buttocks.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Is it UPS? One of our main hubs is Chicago, especially if you got it sent on a lower ground service level.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

mischief posted:

Is it UPS? One of our main hubs is Chicago, especially if you got it sent on a lower ground service level.

Anything with the option of super saver shipping gets exactly that. ESPECIALLY with a honking huge item like this one.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I did the same with my peas and I have some winter crop starts coming up now in a seed tray to replace them. Kale, cauliflower, turnips, rutabaga, beets, Chinese cabbage and maybe spinach if the seed weren't too old.

Did you try the soap and pyrethrin at the same time? One site suggests that they work better together.

I'm not seeing any suggestions for pesticides at all. Everything is for prevention and mitigation before the population explodes. Stuff like row covers, trap crops and removing debris they overwinter in.

Tried some soapy pyrethrin today. Will check back tomorrow. In the meantime I did a bit more research and ran across this from my University: http://cisr.ucr.edu/bagrada_bug.html

Not very helpful in terms of control, but at least I know what bug it is specifically.

Edit: WELP :negative:

quote:

Unlike the harlequin bug, which it strongly resembles, the Bagrada bug lays most of its eggs in the soil, so natural predators such as wasps aren't effective controls. Picking the bugs off plants by hand is not feasible because the infestations are so thick and sudden, with multiple generations occupying one plant at a time.

"Maybe you could do it with a vacuum cleaner," Arakelian said, almost joking. "This is a very bad pest and organics won't be strong enough to control this."
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/home_blog/2010/12/bagrada-bug.html

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 15, 2012

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Just burn it with fire already.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

coyo7e posted:

I cut my peas off at the base rather than pulling them since I wanted to leave the nirogen-fixing stuff in the ground for a while. Then I stuck peas in the dirt, and it's been a couple weeks and they're 6-10 inches tall.

24/7 smokeSnow treesPeas erryday :2bong:
I have peas OUT THE rear end. Plus I really needed some room for the carrots. I think next summer I will do a totally different garden. Less peas, tomatoes in back so they aren't blocking all the sun, some peppers, and continuing with herbs, beans, and turnips. I also want to try squash along with pumpkins in a different place in the yard.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I share your pain.
Next season I plan to actually put thought into how large certain plants get in relation to others. IE: Big Boys need slightly different spacing than pepper plants.

Rurutia posted:

Just burn it with fire already.

Not a horrible idea for the end of the season. Get a nice fire break around the section, make a small wood fire and make some s'mores.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
What kind of things can I look to grow living in Northwestern Ontario where our winters get huge amounts of snow and we get late springs? I've never grown winter crops before, can I do things like garlic and potatoes? Any blog/sites to give me an intro to winter growing?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Toriori posted:

What kind of things can I look to grow living in Northwestern Ontario where our winters get huge amounts of snow and we get late springs? I've never grown winter crops before, can I do things like garlic and potatoes? Any blog/sites to give me an intro to winter growing?
Start by finding your hardiness zone here http://sis.agr.gc.ca/cansis/nsdb/climate/hardiness/intro.html

Based on that you can google for growing advice.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Winter gardening is really about planting things at the right time in the summer so that they have just enough time to mature before it gets cold, then protecting them over the winter, usually from the rain and wind.

Garlic is typically planted in the fall and harvested in the next spring/summer. Potatoes and other root vegetables like carrots and parsnips keep well in the ground over winter. A lot of them will get sweeter after a frost too.

I was quite surprised to see artichoke heads forming on my artichokes last night. 4 of the 7 plants have 3 heads each already. They're only about 3 feet tall and the other artichokes I've seen in the area have already long since been harvested.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Winter gardening is really about planting things at the right time in the summer so that they have just enough time to mature before it gets cold, then protecting them over the winter, usually from the rain and wind.

Garlic is typically planted in the fall and harvested in the next spring/summer. Potatoes and other root vegetables like carrots and parsnips keep well in the ground over winter. A lot of them will get sweeter after a frost too.

I was quite surprised to see artichoke heads forming on my artichokes last night. 4 of the 7 plants have 3 heads each already. They're only about 3 feet tall and the other artichokes I've seen in the area have already long since been harvested.

I haven't seen artichokes at the local organic farms and co-ops for a couple months around here, although mine in my yard just started flowering a week or two ago, they're first year plants so the buds are about golf-ball sized.

What variety is that with the super-recessed leaves? I've eaten them before and they're super tasty, but don't know what they were.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
These are first year plants too, started from seed back in February I think. The variety is Green Globe.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Nice! Nearly every artichoke I saw planted before April/June here, got pretty rough looking and none of them are doing well, so I started out lazy and then decided to just plant mine with the aim for a harvest next year and give them a good mulch cover over the winter.. I wish I'd gotten the globes though, I can't recall what variety mine were - they may have been just generic 'artichoke' starts, despite the usual specificity of my local H&G store (Down to Earth, they're a 5 minute walk from my office :D )

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
So for winter gardening, let's say potatoes and garlic, should I bury them outside where they will be covered in snow all winter? Or should I plant them in the green house where there won't be snow but it will be very cold? I'm such a noob with this.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Toriori posted:

So for winter gardening, let's say potatoes and garlic, should I bury them outside where they will be covered in snow all winter? Or should I plant them in the green house where there won't be snow but it will be very cold? I'm such a noob with this.
Winter crops like the cold to some extent. It depends a lot on how cold you expect the worst weather will get, for how deep you should bury them however, planting them in the greenhouse doesn't strike me as a particularly great idea.

In Oregon in the Willamette Valley (temparate, very rarely gets below 10-15 fahrenheit in the winter and only then for just a couple days,) I plant my garlic like 3 inches deep. I've heard that in vermont and other northern areas with nastier winters, you may7 need to plant 6 inches deep or so.

I believe the idea is to plant them below the frostline so the young shoots don't get burnt when they've begun sprouting. But don't quote me on that nonscientific pontification. ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 18, 2012

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I took advantage of the overcast weather yesterday to pull out the last of my summer carrots and transplant some winter veg starts (kale, cauliflower, spinach, beets, turnips and rutabagas).

I only had a few carrots split this year but they all ended up short and fat since the soil is still pretty heavy clay.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Are those cumbres? They tend to do that.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I lost track of which row was which variety but they were either Danvers or Chantenay.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Look like chantenay to me; they're short and fat like that. A good variety. Taste great and easy to grow in all soil types

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Fog Tripper posted:

Anything with the option of super saver shipping gets exactly that. ESPECIALLY with a honking huge item like this one.

Update: I seriously overestimated just how large this thing would be. Withholding judgement until I see how well it works, but holy crap am I going to have my lower lumbar flare up trying to reach into it for any reason. I may need to build a platform for it so I can more easily empty it into a wheelbarrow when need be.

Garden update: zucchini are taking over our veggie drawer. :ohdear:
Cukes refuse to turn from flowers to veggies, beyond 2 odd looking ones.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I'd like to see just how big it is for $200. I only half filled by 4x4x4 bin last year with a 100 sq ft garden and some miscellaneous junk from around the yard. It's starting to look pretty with minimal turning now though and it should be in great shape for next spring if I fill it up this fall and keep turning it.

Got my first 2 crookneck squash today. The variety is supposed to be "early prolific" but it's way behind the zucchini. I had to cut back some borage and cosmos because they were taking over everything, even the tomatoes.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Fffffff... The hellish weather apparently slaughtered the beneficial insects and let all nasty ones reproduce in overdrive, because the garden is full of little buggy shits and all my direct-sown seeds have either been eaten or dug back up.

On the bright side, I've only lost about two weeks of progress.
On the down side, this is central Arizona, and I've lost about two weeks of valuable progress.

The okra I transplanted at the same time is quite happy, however:

Not bad for something that had two true leaves and its cotyledons a couple weeks ago.

GRBass
Apr 25, 2008
some of my tomatoes are beginning to crack, after a bit of reading it seems its due to the high amount of rain we've gotten recently... is my only real option to cover my plants when i know a large volume of rain is coming?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Does anyone grow blueberries? I bought two established pots (three plants per pot) and transplanted them in to half oak barrel planters in acidophile soil + peat moss in full sun. They are doing very well but some of them are growing very tall 'branches'. Straight from the ground out and up like five feet now. Should I be cutting these back in order to promote branching? They've already fruited, but I figure these branches are so long that if they fruited they would collapse under load (or just break in the wind).

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Tried some soapy pyrethrin today. Will check back tomorrow. In the meantime I did a bit more research and ran across this from my University: http://cisr.ucr.edu/bagrada_bug.html

Not very helpful in terms of control, but at least I know what bug it is specifically.

Edit: WELP :negative:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/home_blog/2010/12/bagrada-bug.html

Well, I sprayed sevin and it worked. So much for keepin' it organic. :(

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GRBass posted:

some of my tomatoes are beginning to crack, after a bit of reading it seems its due to the high amount of rain we've gotten recently... is my only real option to cover my plants when i know a large volume of rain is coming?

Huh so that's what that was.

\/\/\/ Interesting. I'm definitely excited for next season and applying what I've learned this time around.

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 27, 2012

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Tomatoes need consistent water or they'll develop mutant shapes when green or split as they ripen. Consistent watering is one of the things I still have a hard time with.

I'm starting to get some tomatoes just as the warm weather is winding down.

cowofwar posted:

Does anyone grow blueberries? I bought two established pots (three plants per pot) and transplanted them in to half oak barrel planters in acidophile soil + peat moss in full sun. They are doing very well but some of them are growing very tall 'branches'. Straight from the ground out and up like five feet now. Should I be cutting these back in order to promote branching? They've already fruited, but I figure these branches are so long that if they fruited they would collapse under load (or just break in the wind).

I haven't grow blueberries but this should get you started: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1430.html

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
Welp, got some sort of caterpillar infestation on my corn. No corn on the cob for me this year. =/

On the plus side I've picked probably three dozen green peppers so far. Now that I've figured out how to grow the drat things from seed I'm going to have to cut back on the number of plants!

Canned 9 jars of pickles, 5 jars of green beans, and 4 jars of tomato sauce this year. Not bad, not bad at all.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Totally TWISTED posted:

Huh so that's what that was.

\/\/\/ Interesting. I'm definitely excited for next season and applying what I've learned this time around.

This is only my second year and I have learned so much more this year just by being involved at the community garden. My only regret is not having nearly enough time to give each plant the attention it deserves.

GRBass
Apr 25, 2008
just as a note for next year... don't choose late ripening tomatoes. i panicked the entire time waiting for these berkeley tie dyes to get done. kinda made it more exciting at the same time though...

e: well gently caress it imageshack isnt working for my pic...

GRBass fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 28, 2012

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I think I'm done trying to grow cantaloupe. I've never successfully gotten one.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

cowofwar posted:

Blueberry plants are flexible and strong and rarely break/snap despite significant berry load. However, you want a thicker bush, not some weird, gangly monstrosity. Don't feel bad about bringing it in.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Alterian posted:

I think I'm done trying to grow cantaloupe. I've never successfully gotten one.

We got three this year, but gently caress if I know how. Several others rotted or never ripened, and the vines looked like they were close to death from June onwards.

However, if there was one factor I will say worked in their favor, it was the absolutely full sun they got at all times. I've never had a garden in the middle of a yard before (always near the house or towards the edges near fences or trees), but this one was smack dab in the middle of a treeless lot and never got any shade whatsoever. The lettuce and spinach did not do well, but the peppers and tomatoes were gangbusters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

Remember when I was bitching about not having any beans?

Yeah. This is the third batch this size that I've picked, and I'm getting one every 4 or 5 days or so now.