Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I'm seriously rear end. I'm running team trench coat now, and the results are marginally better than before.

The two big thing I have trouble with are
1) Getting something going against mobile characters. My team order is W/D/V and the biggest offenders are spider man, nova, and firebrand. They just kind of hang out in the upper back portion of the screen and throw out things occasionally. Usually the only reasons they land hits is because I'm trying to do something to punish them. I think one of the biggest reasons it's these characters specifically is because their air movement speeds up towards the end, unlike magneto, storm, or doom. When these characters are going slow I can't do anything to them because they're in the air and too far away, and when they're close, they're going too fast for me to reasonably do something.

2) Dante is purely an assist character. I use weasel shot, and honestly I get a lot of mileage out of it. It goes like 80% of the screen, so it's great for teleport mix ups, and because Dante hops back before he shoots it's also very solid defensively. However, I just can't open people up with Dante, pretty much the only time I can get damage out of him is if I land an S, and go into the small combo after that. The only thing that otherwise lands me hits is s.H or j.H, and it's a very distant second. I actually almost never convert of those, but even if I could my problem is that both of those require me to punish my opponent. If my opponent plays smart, I just can't land a hit on them. The H's are way too slow.

So yeah, some advice would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
If those speedy flight characters are giving you trouble I would consider switch Dante to Jam Session. The vertical reach on that assist allows your point character to remain safely grounded until they're stuck in the Jam Session.

Also, Vergil makes good use of Jam Session so you might want to re-order your team W/V/D and simply DHC out into devil trigger if things are looking hairy for Vergil (so you can get XF-3 for him).

Dante and Vergil's teleports are also better suited for punishing characters that hang out at the top of the screen and chuck stuff, you can easily raw tag one of them in while they're trying to keep away.

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008
The best way to open with dante seems to be s.B anti airs and air dash j.H cross-ups. When a new character is coming in also use his acid rain to set up a mix up with teleports, j.H, whatever. If you're on point with bold cancels you can also use stinger to punish alot of stuff or just throw it out to keep them scared.
As for punishing people hiding in the corner of the screen, I think the best bet there is super jump/teleport air grabs, but I have trouble with actually pulling that off myself so don't take my word for it.

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande

Safety Scissors posted:

My team order is W/D/V

I would just like to say that I read this part before reading "Team Trenchcoat" and I immediately knew what team this was :negative:

Super Rad's got good points though. I would definitely put Vergil second so he can utilize Dante's assist, whether it's Jam Session or Weasel Shot. Weasel Shot is pretty drat good for a teleport mixup, but Jam Session reaches the top of the screen. Also, Vergil's super meshes better with Wesker's gunshot -> team super if you only have two meters to burn.

When I play against Dante, airdash j.H crossup is usually how I get opened up and also my blocking is terrible, so give that a try?

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Fun fact: Dante's jam session in fact doesn't reach all the way to the top of the screen. Modok can fly beyond super jump height and not get hit by the lightning even though it clearly should be hitting him.

Also you should look up where people are playing in your area and show up to play at locals, Safety Scissors. Playing offline with other people who play the game a lot really helps you improve your game.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Safety Scissors I played you last night. Switch to Jam Session. Weasel shot is not doing anything for you.

I don't really remember too much else about the match. I think you were pretty free to drones + me superjumping around like an idiot. Respect the drones when they're out. Wesker's gunshot goes over Wolverine and will hit Sent. I dash back before I call drones so if you see me dash back you can shoot, hit sent, and make the drones disappear.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Tonight :ducksiren:

Thursday August 23rd 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/dcubtjb58t

Also I have some kinda boring news afterwards but it might be of interest to you so...yeah.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Man I try to get back into this game but then I am reminded that Zero exists and I lose my appetite.

Is the strategy against him still "Hope you hit him then burn everything to kill him in one combo"?

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Ybrik posted:

Tonight :ducksiren:

Thursday August 23rd 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/dcubtjb58t

Also I have some kinda boring news afterwards but it might be of interest to you so...yeah.

C'mon people

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Waverhouse posted:

Man I try to get back into this game but then I am reminded that Zero exists and I lose my appetite.

Is the strategy against him still "Hope you hit him then burn everything to kill him in one combo"?

No, it's "use Vergil."

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
Sometimes I like to daydream and imagine how much better this game would be if Zero and Vergil weren't in it.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Results...maybe :ducksiren:

http://challonge.com/psmgoons15 I imagine it happened like this

First Place: Acute Hepatitis Magneto/Haggar/Doctor Doom
Second Place: Bumble Chump Spencer/Felicia/Shuma Gorath
Third Place: Grog Hammer Taskmaster/Doctor Doom/Arthur

I say imagine because the internet I'm using became unplayable and I ditched. I miss you Comcast :qq:

Next Week Thursday August 30th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/ru7irobyo4

:itjb:Xbox:itjb:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/h2mmu3rmdx

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

Ybrik posted:

C'mon people

I'm sorry I want to play but my wrist had to be put back in a cast :smith:

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I signed up for the Xbox tournament under my gamertag: Melloblack2. C'mon goons! Don't let the Xbox tournament die again! Sign up and kick some rear end! :black101:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Waverhouse posted:

It depends on who you play but you mainly just need to stay out of midscreen. His best bullshit is lightning canceled with buster and that won't hit you at fullscreen. Also, don't press buttons when you're under him.

So when you fight Zero play footsies with him at fullscreen, preferably in the air so that buster doesn't have a good angle on you.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Also worth noting that Buster can pretty much let him do unsafe things all day because of how fast it comes out. You really, really need to pay attention to what charge he has.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Airgrabs are Zero's biggest weakness - being present enough to recognize when it's safe to airgrab is what's hard.

As long as the buster is charged, you've gotta block and try and bait the buster out.
I actually find that staying close to Zeros encourages them to do unsafe lightnings since they think they will be far enough away to be safe - this is when you go for the scoop and pray that your point character can actually do anything off said throw.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Just wanna point out some crazy poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iOPWdtv_P8

At around 4:00 in this video RayRay pulls off a combo that has 4 of Ryu's Hadoken supers. That poo poo cray.

Also, Zero is unambiguously the best character in the game.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
VGBootCamp featuring IGT Unknown and DJ Huoshen. This week's episode is a guide to Dante with Green Ace from Florida.

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/b/329700304

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Since there were a couple of Iron Man players in this thread, I thought I would share this info.

Recently people found a way to combo off of Repulsor Spread midscreen without either cancelling straight into Proton Cannon or Iron Avenger. What you do is spread when the opponent is being juggled behind Iron Man's head, which is usually 3 or 4 hits with any strength, then dash and do L Smart Bombs on the earliest possible frame (11th frame, Iron Man can't cancel his dash earlier than that), then dash again and do either c.M, S or c.M, s.H, S. The former is easier and the latter adds a bit more damage. Then you just do air series, spike H Smart Bombs into Proton Cannon for about 560k or Iron Avenger for 850k (a double dash up H Smart xx Bomb Proton Cannon nets you a million after Iron Avenger which is more then you would get from Spread into raw Iron Avenger with the same followup.)

I have not been able to get it consistent yet, the key is to know when to spread so you the opponent recoils as close to you as possible. If they recoil too far away you won't be able to do it. The strength of Repulsor you catch them with is irrelevant since Spread has the same recovery for all versions (you should only be really using H in combos anyway, its way too slow to be used as an AA or poke). Also the dash, c.M, S is easier to gently caress up then you would think. Still having a reliable way to combo off this movie into your launcher than air series when you are not close to the corner is a really big deal.

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

what I've been using lately to make most of my stuff safe is just cLcMsH into L or M replusar. if it hits DON'T SPREAD! instead let it finish and while the opponent is falling just hit cM as fast as you can (the timing isn't too strict but if you're basically mashing cM as repulsar is wearing off it'll connect) then S into whatever the gently caress floaty rear end, dodgy, unsafe, will probably drop when you're most vulnerable Iron Man combo that you prefer to do. :)

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

WeakLad posted:

what I've been using lately to make most of my stuff safe is just cLcMsH into L or M replusar. if it hits DON'T SPREAD! instead let it finish and while the opponent is falling just hit cM as fast as you can (the timing isn't too strict but if you're basically mashing cM as repulsar is wearing off it'll connect) then S into whatever the gently caress floaty rear end, dodgy, unsafe, will probably drop when you're most vulnerable Iron Man combo that you prefer to do. :)

That post was mainly detailing how to do a Repulsor combo off a blast that catches the opponent as a poke or anti-air. In both cases linking crouching normals after the juggle is extremely finicky and usually will not work. It will always work if you combo into it as you said, but in the case of bnbs you should really be using the Krispy Kreme combo, which entirely safe on block and lets you hit confirm from almost max range of your normals.

That combo is opener, c.M, s.H xx Fly, j.M, j.M, j.H xx Unfly j.H, j.M, j.M, j.H, j.dH, S, c.M, s.H, S, j.M, j.M, j.H, j.dH, S, H Smart Bombs xx Hyper

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7S2beTBzHo

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Anyone got any good Chris or Taskmaster solo combos? Trying to level up my Task and get a noice pocket Chris.

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande
Taskmaster combos:
This isn't the optimal one for damage, but it will take them corner-to-corner. It has easy execution and is kind of a go-to for happy birthdays. It builds more meter (a third of a bar) more than the other combo.
cr.L, M, st.H, f.H, j.M, M, f.H, j.M, M, S, land, b.H, S, sj.M, M, H, f.H, j.M, H, S, land, j.qcf+H, qcf.M+H

For optimal damage you're gonna want to do this one. The timing is a bit more strict on it.
cr.L, M, st.H, b.H, S, sj.M, f.H, delay ,j.H, delay, j.qcf+M, land, b.H, S, sj.M, M, H, f.H, j.M, H, S

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

SpaceBees posted:

useful info

my only problem with krispy kreme is latency. after fly you need to follow with M M but if you're off by the slightest the combo drops. Online I can usually get it consistently by hitting L M M H or L M H but then I risk getting either L L M which can either help or hinder me (sometimes it feels like the combo drops way to quickly other times there seems to be no issues whatsoever)

I've gotten pretty good at LMHS > air MMHS (MHHS) > ground dash > L bombs > cM > relaunch > MHHS > bombs > Cannon/Avenger.

I haven't found a decent online match since I started playing this game, but the good news is that a bar in my town is doing monday night fights so I'll be able to go local!

Any el paso, tx goons in this thread?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Our boy Fooblat playing vs Unkn0wn on spookys stream right now.

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fellblade posted:

Our boy Fooblat playing vs Unkn0wn on spookys stream right now.

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

I swear to God that Marlinpie's Doom breaks the game's programming. He doesn't even need to be on the right side of the character to combo...

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008
Pretty sure his j.B has a full screen hit box.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

xan! posted:

Taskmaster combos:
This isn't the optimal one for damage, but it will take them corner-to-corner. It has easy execution and is kind of a go-to for happy birthdays. It builds more meter (a third of a bar) more than the other combo.
cr.L, M, st.H, f.H, j.M, M, f.H, j.M, M, S, land, b.H, S, sj.M, M, H, f.H, j.M, H, S, land, j.qcf+H, qcf.M+H

For optimal damage you're gonna want to do this one. The timing is a bit more strict on it.
cr.L, M, st.H, b.H, S, sj.M, f.H, delay ,j.H, delay, j.qcf+M, land, b.H, S, sj.M, M, H, f.H, j.M, H, S

What the hell is "b.H"? Am I being stupid right now?

Do you have a video of these in action?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Back heavy? Shield Skill?

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Do you have a video of these in action?

Back + H. I think.

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum
I hope people sign up for the xbox tournament. I had no idea about these until recently but it looks like nobody is playing the game anymore :(

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Zarikov posted:

I hope people sign up for the xbox tournament. I had no idea about these until recently but it looks like nobody is playing the game anymore :(

I am playing RIGHT NOW.

Props to Fooblat, I was rooting for you. Low tier hero!

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
God drat I love this game. My friend left his PS3 over again and I hit the lab yesterday with Firebrand/Frank/Ammy and quickly discovered Firebrand's variation of the Wolverine TAC level-up for Frank. Starting off Cold Star or Shopping cart leads to level 5, anything else leads to level 4. Unlike the Wolverine variation the Firebrand version looks awesome instead of herpaderp and involves 4 launches.

Should Firebrand die early on I also have a THC with Frank/Ammy that leads to guaranteed level 5, good luck to me to land a hit with lvl 1 Frank though.

So far this team has been working on my scrubby rear end friends, but not so much online. I still need to figure out safe ways of mixing assists with Firebrand's swooping around to make scary / ambiguous situations. I also need to relearn punishes and confirms.

Also my Ammy needs a ton of leveling up, at the very least I need to get the xf 2/3 infinite, I can only get it off 10% of the time in training even though it's just 6H x 4 plus dash over and over.

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World

Dren posted:

I am playing RIGHT NOW.

Props to Fooblat, I was rooting for you. Low tier hero!

Thanks very much, and let me just go ahead and leave this here:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
ggs ragebeef I feel like my only shot was to call drones and go ham but I missed a lot of confirms and dropped a bunch of combos. I'll play you some more after I level up my Dante from ultra fraud to turbo fraud.

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

TOASTY!

Dren posted:

ggs ragebeef I feel like my only shot was to call drones and go ham but I missed a lot of confirms and dropped a bunch of combos. I'll play you some more after I level up my Dante from ultra fraud to turbo fraud.

GGs to you too, you almost had me a few times when you almost took both Spencer and Morrigan out because god forbid my fraudulent Doom have to come in and be something other than an assist. I was surprised I did as well those games though, considering I haven't really played the game for the better part of a month. Still need to figure out a better way to approach with Spencer and Doom Missles so I'm not leaving myself to get airthrown and or Doom to eat a combo.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

Back heavy? Shield Skill?

Durr. Of course it's back H. I'm still kinda newish to fighting games so certain things still confuse me. I like Taskmaster but he's my weakest link right now and his combos require a certain finesse I think I still lack.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Durr. Of course it's back H. I'm still kinda newish to fighting games so certain things still confuse me. I like Taskmaster but he's my weakest link right now and his combos require a certain finesse I think I still lack.

Don't feel too bad. I was confused for ages after playing TvC where all inputs commands were typed out numpad-style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus H. Christ
Aug 3, 2004

$ $ $Everybody's got a price$ $ $
Signed up for the XB360 tournament. Got an Xbox 360 and picked up Marvel last Saturday after 7 months of not touching or really following along much at all. LETS

GO

• Locked thread