Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

TurnipFritter posted:

Yeah, two of these characters are definitely gonna die:

I mean the one dude in the middle even has beautiful hair that flows in the wind, while the guy on the right has short and spiky hair.

VVVVV I'm pretty sure you're the dude on the left.

Edit: They're all here too (with an extra person), looking over the city.

Hace fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

Yeah, two of these characters are definitely gonna die:

I dunno, they're all wearing uniforms. They're probably just generic cannon fodder.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Hace posted:

I mean the one dude in the middle even has beautiful hair that flows in the wind, while the guy on the right has short and spiky hair.

A flowy guy and a spiky guy, huh?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

xSousuke posted:

HAND IT OVER...plis ;_;?

Not a chance. Now the only English games I need for my shelf are the demikids, the ps1 personas, and last revelation for the gb.

Len fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 28, 2012

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Len posted:

I probably got ripped off but a local resale shop had Persona 3 vanilla with the slipcase, art book and soundtrack marked used for $30. I bought it and being impatient looked at the art book ignoring the game itself. The book was stiff and the cd was still stuck to it and I found myself thinking "huh this feels new" then I looked at the game and it was still wrapped. Best find of the day right there.

That's a pretty boss find, nicely done!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Len posted:

I probably got ripped off but a local resale shop had Persona 3 vanilla with the slipcase, art book and soundtrack marked used for $30. I bought it and being impatient looked at the art book ignoring the game itself. The book was stiff and the cd was still stuck to it and I found myself thinking "huh this feels new" then I looked at the game and it was still wrapped. Best find of the day right there.

The clerk's name wasn't Louis Cypher by any chance, was it? :ohdear:

Seriously, though, congratulations on your rare find.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

The clerk's name wasn't Louis Cypher by any chance, was it? :ohdear:

Seriously, though, congratulations on your rare find.

That's the best mental image I'm having right now.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Shin Megami Tensei IV trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynm0dZ5mcTY
Get it while it's hot.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TurnipFritter posted:

Get it while it's hot.

All it showed was Full Metal Alchemist:The Legend of Korra; The Day After Tomorrow.

I'm dissapointed at the lack of gameplay sequences. Especialy since most people arn't all that familair with the core series that appeared on the Famicom and Super Famicom, they should of atleast depicted the mechanics of how it plays.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 28, 2012

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Vaerai Archon posted:

All it showed was Full Metal Alchemist:The Legend of Korra; The Day After Tomorrow.

I'm dissapointed at the lack of gameplay sequences. Especialy since most people arn't all that familair with the core series that appeared on the Famicom and Super Famicom, they should of atleast depicted the mechanics of how it plays.

Its the first trailer aka a teaser. Its fine, I'm very excited though and I can't wait to play it. And judging by Nocturne and Strange Journey it will probably play like those games but who's to say.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I'm liking the music already, and while I'm still kinda confused on the premise I'm so ready.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Holy gently caress, this trailer was perfect.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

Get it while it's hot.

Okay, that actually looks really interesting, and i like the music.

It definitely gives me some heavy Imagine vibes, though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can't wait to play Road Warrior of the North Star: Megami Tensei Edition. Seriously though, that looks like an interesting premise and hopefully some gameplay trailers show up soon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've heard a rumor that it's going to be a dungeon crawler with turn-based combat where you recruit demons via conversation and fuse them into new forms to make up your party members. Sounds pretty crazy!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wait I can sell P3 Vanilla for good money? Or is it just because it was sealed? I thought with FES and P3P the value would fall.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

ImpAtom posted:

I've heard a rumor that it's going to be a dungeon crawler with turn-based combat where you recruit demons via conversation and fuse them into new forms to make up your party members. Sounds pretty crazy!

Day 1 for me. But I've heard the conversations suck and bosses have stupid loving gimmicks.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Can you date the demons? If not then i will Not Play It.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

ImpAtom posted:

B-but how many animes will it be? This is super important to me if there are no animes only then will i Play It.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wait I can sell P3 Vanilla for good money? Or is it just because it was sealed? I thought with FES and P3P the value would fall.

Wait, is the vanilla p3 pack-in's worth something? beacuse I still have my artbook/CD with the special case.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Original P3s go for like $50-60 whereas FES is like $20-30.

There's a lot of listings on ebay usually.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ImpAtom posted:

That sounds too much like Pokemon, I'm not sure about this one.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Krad posted:

That sounds too much like Pokemon, I'm not sure about this one.

But they are DEMONS!!! Like Aleister Crowley poo poo!

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
As much as I liked DDS's voice acting, I'm still kinda worried about it in IV. I mean, this will be the first main line SMT game with voice acting. They better not screw it up...

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Ironically, the west has the first fanart.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Imagine Nekomata and Pixie talking.

Oh god.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Speaking of recruiting demons I'm playing Nocturne now.

Should I focus on physicals or magic for building my main character up?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dr Pepper posted:

Speaking of recruiting demons I'm playing Nocturne now.

Should I focus on physicals or magic for building my main character up?

Start magic then go full blown phys, a lot of enemies are weak to magic in the first couple of areas, there's also one or two bosses completely immune to phys, but by the end you're gonna want a ton of physical poo poo.

So I'd say go magic till like 25-30.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

Get it while it's hot.

Thanks for the link!
I thought the trailer was really well done. It makes me want to keep an eye on SMTIV, more.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Yeah physical is the way to go, especially if you're going for the true ending.

Even if you're not, Focus + <insert counterattack skill here> is pretty cool, and physical has pretty much the best stuff ever.

Also if you got the chance, get Fog Breath. Best spell in the game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Has there been any word about localizing Soul Hackers for the west?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Has there been any word about localizing Soul Hackers for the west?

I dont know if there's been official word but I can't see why they wouldn't, honestly.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Nocturne is pretty long and some of the late game stuff really makes you want to get to the 90's, I'd say you start off with Magic and Agi/Vit then slowly work your way up in Str and Luck. Being a solid supporter and elemental user early on is invaluable, plus you'll have a lot of time to fix it up.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

TK-31 posted:

Nocturne is pretty long and some of the late game stuff really makes you want to get to the 90's, I'd say you start off with Magic and Agi/Vit then slowly work your way up in Str and Luck. Being a solid supporter and elemental user early on is invaluable, plus you'll have a lot of time to fix it up.

I always felt like it was better to focus only on 1 stat while trying to get your demons to pick up on whatever you're lacking at the moment. I like to put a few into Magic to start off, and then go straight phys until maxed out. The phys immune bosses were never too much trouble for me.

You get to spend less slots on different elements trying to stay well-rounded, and force yourself to spend more time in the Cathedral of Shadows.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I always felt like it was better to focus only on 1 stat while trying to get your demons to pick up on whatever you're lacking at the moment. I like to put a few into Magic to start off, and then go straight phys until maxed out. The phys immune bosses were never too much trouble for me.

You get to spend less slots on different elements trying to stay well-rounded, and force yourself to spend more time in the Cathedral of Shadows.

Aren't there only a couple phys immune bosses? As long as you have at least one or two spells on your dude, Rakunda and Makakaja always made up for my magic stat falling a little behind.

Getting offense to +4 and defense to -4 breaks that game in half. Even just getting halfway, +2/-2, you can still pretty much mess up everything.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Does Nocturne do that thing SJ did where almost every boss in the last quarter of the game resets your buffs/their debuffs if you get anything to +4 or -4?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I liked in Persona 3 and 4 that debuffs were a one time thing that had a short duration. If you wanted to keep your attack up and their defense down with the same person they would be constantly rotating instead of buffx4, debuffx4 repeat

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I liked in Persona 3 and 4 that debuffs were a one time thing that had a short duration. If you wanted to keep your attack up and their defense down with the same person they would be constantly rotating instead of buffx4, debuffx4 repeat

I liked this too. P3/4 had a sense of flow I liked more than SMT3's.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Brother Entropy posted:

Does Nocturne do that thing SJ did where almost every boss in the last quarter of the game resets your buffs/their debuffs if you get anything to +4 or -4?
I remember the last boss did no such thing, which made it pretty hilarious if you did four Debilitates on it and then Focus+that Viper Physical attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

No, but just about every boss has either Dejaka or Dekunda, and they'll use it once in a while. Some of them will use both when you get halfway through the fight, then go back to only being able to use one of them. A few bosses, like the last one in the optional dungeon, straight-up have both and will use them with some regularity. That one in particular will almost always cast dekunda on himself if he's debuffed, he'll use dekaja less frequently but he'll still do it.

So yeah, you don't get them cancelled out instantly or anything. Like I said, the majority only has one or the other which is why it's important to carry some buffs AND debuffs around.

edit: I'll usually still throw down a fog breath, even if the boss has Dekunda, because a turn spent fixing themselves is a turn spent not attacking. Since I have other demons it's not exactly tit-for-tat and I feel like I still come out ahead.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 30, 2012