Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012

cbx posted:

Sorry, the bid on Bender was outdated. I copied the wrong post as a basis for my updates. It's been updated now, and as such, that bid would be invalid. Moore and Smiley are in the Martinez bid.

I threw in the revised Bender bid before you edited to accept the bid for Martinez, but OK, I suppose? I can add '85 Andy Van Slyke if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Well done on the history update, Smasher.

The rest of the last page, well...good God. I'm going to have to Do Something about the Cultist/Superstar/Moogly Axis, aren't I? Other right-thinking owners are invited to join in, of course.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Marauder... I'm not gone yet, and I'd be happy to join you in this. You'll see what I have in store shortly.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
I feel as if an invisible noose has just been tied around my neck.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

NotThatSamBeckett posted:

I threw in the revised Bender bid before you edited to accept the bid for Martinez, but OK, I suppose? I can add '85 Andy Van Slyke if that helps.

That simply means that I hadn't edited the post in time with your previous post. Forgive me, but I had two threads to monitor and earlier mistakes to fix.

The Merry Marauder posted:

The rest of the last page, well...good God. I'm going to have to Do Something about the Cultist/Superstar/Moogly Axis, aren't I? Other right-thinking owners are invited to join in, of course.

I wish you would jump into IRC on occasion, it makes these sort of things much easier to plan.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

The funny thing is you are pretty much my role model for success in the league. :science: You're welcome to join the Axis of Evil.

Outrunner
Aug 5, 2012

Might as well post the roster that is official after the end of Super-League 6.

C: Ernie Lombardi (1941 Reds)
1B: Mark McGuire (1996 Athletics)
2B: Charlie Gehringer (1931 Tigers)
3B: Paul Molitor (1985 Brewers)
SS: Alan Trammell (1984 Tigers)
LF: Kirk Gibson (1984 Tigers)
CF: Chet Lemon (1984 Tigers)
RF: Bobby Murcer (1973 Yankees)
DH: Dave Parker (1978 Pirates)

C: Terry Steinbach (1996 Athletics)
SS: Eddie Joost (1941 Reds)
3B: Jimmy Collins (1902 Americans)
INF: Howard Johnson (1984 Tigers)
OF: Gee Walker (1931 Tigers)

SP: Bert Blyleven (1978 Pirates)
SP: Smoky Joe Wood (1921 Indians)
SP: Jack Morris (1984 Tigers)
SP: Bucky Walters (1941 Reds)
SP: Paul Derringer (1941 Reds)

CL: Kent Tekulve (1978 Pirates)
SU: Willie Hernandez (1984 Tigers)
SR: Jim Corsi (1996 Athletics)
SR: Grant Jackson (1978 Pirates)
MR: Doug Bair (1984 Tigers)
LR: Jim Bibby (1978 Pirates)

AAA: John Candelaria (1978 Pirates)

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

My opinion of the Superstars in particular is, I believe, well known. Let's see what we can do.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I don't know if people follow my post at the start of this thread, but I keep it updated with a list of things I have to buy and sell. Anyway, as I now have some pressing issues, let me draw them to broader attention:

Wanted to buy:

Small, tactical deals:

I'm pretty good on infield depth now, but I need some outfield utility now I've sold Bob Johnson. Hitting isn't as important as an elite glove. I was hoping to get Sam Crawford who would fill my need here nicely.
Swapping deadball pitching, I'm going to hit the deadball limit without lucky drafting so I want to move some of my deadball starters (Frank Smith and Ray Collins) for starting pitching that doesn't hit this limit.
Picks!

Wishlist stuff:

Picks!
Elite Relivers
An Elite Left Fielder
Elite Starting Pitching

Parts for trade:

Position Players who could credibly start in the super league:

3B: Miguel Cabrera (2011) - I'm sure his reputation Preceeds him, but: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cabremi01.shtml
Musial, Stan 38 - He's my DH for the moment and also my current utility outfielder
Catcher: Bill Freehan (1968) AS + GG year, next year was AS + GG as well: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/freehbi01.shtml
1B: Boog Powell (1966) http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/powelbo01.shtml

Bench material:

Gardner, Larry 24 (IF) (1911 Boston Red Sox) - This guy is a very nice utility part but I have sweet Lou who is also a very nice utility part so this guy is on the block. An elite fielder and generally okay contact hitter at 2B/3B who can make 9th inning defensive substitutions every game and cover two tricky positions off the bench. Rates out at about 88/91. Amusingly, he's actually better than a whole bunch of starters in the Expansion Cup which says something about the quality of 2B in the league.

Barajas, Rod 27 (C) 27 (2003 Arizona Diamond-Backs) In my continued quest to mismanage my catchers this is guy has become surplus to requirements. I'll send him down after the cup unless someone wants him.

Starting Pitching - Ray and Frank are 4th and 5th starters. Frank is better than ray, he's an effective spitballer with 3 other usable pitchers. Ray is a fastball/curve pitcher who is mostly distinguished by being like Moredaci brown, except not as good.

SP: Ray Collins (1911) http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/collira01.shtml
SP: Frank Smith (1911) http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/smithfr03.shtml
SP: Avery, Steve 25 (1995, Atlanta Braves, from Marauder, a replacement level player in the SL.

Relief Pitching

Myers, Mike 33 (2003 Arizona Diamond-Backs)

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 28, 2012

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

mrnoun posted:

My opinion of the Superstars in particular is, I believe, well known. Let's see what we can do.

Well, since you guys are so deadset against them, may I offer a chance to make things a bit more interesting?

How about we pit the Marauder faction against the Superstars Faction. Whichever faction wins, all of their teams will be immune from relegation that season. Whichever faction loses, all of their teams get sent to the Gauntlet Round 1.

How do we decide who wins? Simple. Which ever faction has the better overall winning percentage. Right now, the factions would look like (and we could adjust this):

The Superstars LLC
Rated R Superstars
Ryleh Cultists
Great Googly Mooglies
Portland Bulldogs
Straight Edge Society

Marauder's Marauders
Fukuoka Finger-Bangers
Finger Lakes Phoenixes
Norfolk Splinter Cells
Luna Landers (if they survive)
??????

Is this a terrible idea? It just might be, as many of my late night ideas are, but it was just a thought.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

I think it's a cool concept, but my concern is 1st round of the gauntlet is pretty dire as a consequence. If that's the penalty I'll vote no with the Cultists, no with my superstars shares and no with everything else I have.

But, my observation would be that collaboration is fun. I don't know about the other guys, but I'm enjoying working with The_Goog, Pungry, Senerio and TK Bomber, so making collaboration might be a bit more fun.

Maybe a few more factions and have a prize awarded to the best faction? You could have an The Iron Horses for perpetual contenders that never quite make it, Superstars LLC, Marauder's Marauders, Young Bucks and two more, then give the winning faction some sort of prize. Maybe have the remaining 10 teams a 'best of the rest' where they count only the percentage of their best 5 times.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Super-League History: Super-League II

Top Five Storylines

1. Skyhawks Kill Everyone, Win 2nd Straight Title!

2. Mercuries Shock Blood Sox in First Round of Smasher League Playoffs!

3. Murderbots and Riots' Fight for Wildcard Goes to One-Game Playoff!

4. Rise of the Finger-Bangers!

5. Bombers Bomb!

Awards
Dynamo League MVP: Barry Bonds (NYF)
Smasher League MVP: Babe Ruth (SLA)
Dynamo League Cy Young: Nolan Ryan (BSS)
Smasher League MVP: Don Drysdale (SLA)
Reliever of the Year: Dennis Eckersley (BSS)

Summary
Click for the obit (where available)

The Memento Mori Division race in Super-League II wasn't so much a race as a very long massacre. The Skyhawks, defending champions at that point, made a mockery of the other teams in the division, winning the Memento Mori title by twenty games. Truly, these Skyhawks were at the height of their powers. The Blind Men returned for another run, but still had not solved their offensive woes, and were summarily relegated at the end of the season. Both the Philosophers and Penguins tried, but were terrible, terrible teams.

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '28 Frankie Frisch (.309)
On-Base Percentage: '34 Stan Hack (.369)
Home Runs: '34 Chuck Klein (25)
Runs Batted In: '28 Chick Hafey (116)
Stolen Bases: '28 Frankie Frisch (31)
Wins: '28 Pete Alexander (15)
Earned Run Average: '77 Nolan Ryan (2.00)
Innings Pitched: '77 Frank Tanana (221.2)
Strikeouts: '77 Nolan Ryan (256)
Saves: '78 Dennis Eckersley (27)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '70 Thurman Munson (.283)
On-Base Percentage: '70 Reggie Jackson (.356)
Home Runs: '84 Cal Ripken (14)
Runs Batted In: '84 Cal Ripken (81)
Stolen Bases: '21 Max Carey (65)
Wins: '84 Dennis Martinez (18)
Earned Run Average: '84 Dennis Martinez (2.69)
Innings Pitched: '84 Dennis Martinez (248.0)
Strikeouts: '84 Dennis Martinez (145)
Saves: '83 Dan Quisenberry (31)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '71 Dick Allen (.278)
On-Base Percentage: '85 Rickey Henderson (.361)
Home Runs: '71 Dick Allen (29)
Runs Batted In: '00 Gary Sheffield (93)
Stolen Bases: '85 Rickey Henderson (78)
Wins: '90 Chuck Finley (13)
Earned Run Average: '90 Chuck Finley (3.07)
Innings Pitched: '07 John Lackey (213.2)
Strikeouts: '90 Chuck Finley (185)
Saves: '07 Al Reyes (31)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '00 Miguel Tejada (.287)
On-Base Percentage: '96 Barry Bonds (.391)
Home Runs: '96 Matt Williams (28)
Runs Batted In: '96 Matt Williams (95)
Stolen Bases: '96 Barry Bonds (8)
Wins: Five Tied at (7)
Earned Run Average: '00 Tim Hudson (3.58)
Innings Pitched: '00 Tim Hudson (216.0)
Strikeouts: '00 Barry Zito (140)
Saves: '80 Tim Stoddard (20)

In Super-League I, the Vae Victis was a joke, with no team finishing over .500. In Super-League II, the Vae Victis was the best division in the Super-League, with all four teams finishing above .500 on the year. The Vigilantes, winners of the first Expansion Cup, came out firing and captured the division title in convincing fashion, and, just for this one season, becoming the Super-League team of the future. The Riots and Murderbots battled all season long for the wildcard, with the Murderbots eventually winning in a one-game playoff at the end of the regular season. The Switchblades, despite improving their record, fell to fourth place on the season and were retired when lonelywurm, their owner, was forced to return to his native Canada to fight in the great Battle of Thunder Bay, and you all know how that turned out.

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '85 Don Mattingly (.362)
On-Base Percentage: '85 Don Mattingly (.402)
Home Runs: '90 Jose Canseco (41)
Runs Batted In: '90 Jose Canseco (117)
Stolen Bases: '07 Carl Crawford (50)
Wins: '05 Charlie Chech (17)
Earned Run Average: '05 Charlie Chech (3.56)
Innings Pitched: '05 Charlie Chech (250.1)
Strikeouts: '08 Ubaldo Jimenez (207)
Saves: '08 Huston Street (35)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '15 Babe Ruth (.353)
On-Base Percentage: '15 Babe Ruth (.453)
Home Runs: '15 Babe Ruth (27)
Runs Batted In: '15 Babe Ruth (91)
Stolen Bases: '15 Tris Speaker (33)
Wins: '00 Kevin Brown (17)
Earned Run Average: '00 Kevin Brown (2.61)
Innings Pitched: '00 Kevin Brown (241.2)
Strikeouts: '00 Kevin Brown (169)
Saves: '01 Mariano Rivera (22)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '03 Javy Lopez (.287)
On-Base Percentage: '37 Charlie Gehringer (.346)
Home Runs: '97 Sammy Sosa (46)
Runs Batted In: '97 Sammy Sosa (119)
Stolen Bases: '03 Rafael Furcal (18)
Wins: Four Tied (14)
Earned Run Average: '03 Greg Maddux (3.22)
Innings Pitched: '70 Denny McLain (210.2)
Strikeouts: '70 Mickey Lolich (151)
Saves: '03 John Smoltz (19)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '21 Tris Speaker (.329)
On-Base Percentage: '21 Tris Speaker (.389)
Home Runs: '87 George Bell (13)
Runs Batted In: '21 Joe Sewell (83)
Stolen Bases: '21 Tris Speaker (27)
Wins: '21 Joe Wood (18)
Earned Run Average: '21 Joe Wood and '21 Stan Coveleski (2.90)
Innings Pitched: '21 Joe Wood (232.2)
Strikeouts: '21 Joe Wood (184)
Saves: '47 Clyde Shoun and '33 Eppa Rixey (8)

The Sic Transit Vir Division was created in Super-League II after the expansion to 24 teams. The Finger-Bangers, after a season of preparation, were ready to be competitors and ran away with the division title. The Juggernauts continued their proud tradition of underachievement by getting sent to the Gauntlet, and then somehow emerging as a survivor, even if they were still not in the Finger-Bangers' class. The Senadores were a surviving team that tried to rebuild itself between seasons with disastrous results. Lastly, the Indians' logo got the Super-League banned in India.

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '92 Roberto Alomar (.331)
On-Base Percentage: '91 Barry Bonds (.447)
Home Runs: '91 Barry Bonds (40)
Runs Batted In: '98 Vladimir Guerrero (123)
Stolen Bases: '91 Barry Bonds (41)
Wins: '90 Orel Hershiser (12)
Earned Run Average: '50 Don Newcombe (3.27)
Innings Pitched: '50 Don Newcombe (222.2)
Strikeouts: '90 Orel Hershiser (166)
Saves: '70 Rollie Fingers (39)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '85 Wade Boggs (.323)
On-Base Percentage: '85 Wade Boggs (.389)
Home Runs: '98 Jim Edmonds (34)
Runs Batted In: '98 Jim Edmonds (102)
Stolen Bases: '18 Rogers Hornsby (8)
Wins: '72 Jim Palmer (17)
Earned Run Average: '72 Jim Palmer (3.39)
Innings Pitched: '72 Jim Palmer (215.0)
Strikeouts: '66 Bob Gibson (147)
Saves: '59 Larry Jackson (9)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '85 Tim Raines (.324)
On-Base Percentage: '85 Tim Raines (.394)
Home Runs: '71 Willie Stargell (24)
Runs Batted In: '71 Roberto Clemente (110)
Stolen Bases: '85 Tim Raines (130)
Wins: '61 Don Cardwell (15)
Earned Run Average: '61 Don Cardwell (3.39)
Innings Pitched: '71 Steve Blass (223.1)
Strikeouts: '93 Jack McDowell (131)
Saves: '85 Jeff Reardon (33)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '22 Goose Goslin (.302)
On-Base Percentage: '22 Goose Goslin (.358)
Home Runs: '03 Aramis Ramirez (32)
Runs Batted In: '03 Aramis Ramirez (95)
Stolen Bases: '04 Brian Roberts (25)
Wins: '22 Walter Johnson (10)
Earned Run Average: '22 Walter Johnson (3.14)
Innings Pitched: '28 Red Faber (236.1)
Strikeouts: '66 Sam McDowell (202)
Saves: '55 Roy Face (28)

The Mark Bellhorn Division was in a state of flux in Super-League II. The Mooglies had retired, leaving the Queens Mercuries as their effective successors in challenging the Fillies' dominance. The Mercuries, however, could do little to stop the Fillies from winning the division for the second straight year, though they did manage to get the wildcard. The Crabs, trying to avoid relegation for a second season, could not quite manage to escape this time, being relegated in the final round for the Gauntlet. Finally, the Bronies brought new meaning to the word 'futility', losing 103 games to be the worst team in Super-League II.

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '07 Albert Pujols (.311)
On-Base Percentage: '07 Albert Pujols (.401)
Home Runs: '05 Ryan Howard (29)
Runs Batted In: '07 Albert Pujols (120)
Stolen Bases: '05 Chase Utley (23)
Wins: '67 Tom Seaver (19)
Earned Run Average: '67 Tom Seaver (3.28)
Innings Pitched: '67 Tom Seaver (213.1)
Strikeouts: '07 Adam Wainwright (166)
Saves: '05 Billy Wagner (40)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '21 Babe Ruth (.313)
On-Base Percentage: '21 Babe Ruth (.436)
Home Runs: '21 Babe Ruth (34)
Runs Batted In: '21 Babe Ruth (117)
Stolen Bases: '21 Babe Ruth (9)
Wins: '57 Early Wynn (14)
Earned Run Average: '21 Carl Mays (3.98)
Innings Pitched: '57 Early Wynn (195.0)
Strikeouts: '57 Early Wynn (81)
Saves: '57 Hoyt Wilhelm (33)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '03 Derrek Lee (.346)
On-Base Percentage: '03 Derrek Lee (.419)
Home Runs: '78 Jim Rice (29)
Runs Batted In: '78 Jim Rice (101)
Stolen Bases: '89 Ozzie Smith (39)
Wins: '93 Roger Clemens (16)
Earned Run Average: '93 Roger Clemens (3.79)
Innings Pitched: '93 Roger Clemens (237.1)
Strikeouts: '93 Roger Clemens (213)
Saves: '89 Dan Quisenberry (38)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '47 Duke Snider (.291)
On-Base Percentage: '58 Mickey Mantle (.370)
Home Runs: '47 Duke Snider (36)
Runs Batted In: '47 Duke Snider (101)
Stolen Bases: '47 Duke Snider (21)
Wins: '53 Ken Raffensberger (11)
Earned Run Average: '53 Ken Raffensberger (3.78)
Innings Pitched: '53 Ken Raffensberger (204.2)
Strikeouts: '58 Whitey Ford (123)
Saves: '58 Ryne Duren (18)

It was the Season of Blood in the Senor Goodtimes Division. Fortified by a number of trades, the Blood Sox dominated their division, winning 101 games and clearing the division by 19 games. The Bobbleheads and Drinkers both hovered around .500, but were able to avoid the Gauntlet and so continued onto .500 to lick their wounds and figure out how to deal with the Blood Sox beast. The Dervishes, not quite as lucky, tumbled into the Gauntlet and were lost forever.

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '53 Minnie Minoso (.322)
On-Base Percentage: '49 Ted Williams (.430)
Home Runs: '92 Frank Thomas (43)
Runs Batted In: '49 Ted Williams (124)
Stolen Bases: '53 Minnie Minoso (12)
Wins: '04 Doc White (19)
Earned Run Average: '01 Roger Clemens (2.94)
Innings Pitched: '04 Doc White (210.1)
Strikeouts: '01 Roger Clemens (161)
Saves: '53 Harry Dorish (39)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '97 Larry Walker (.334)
On-Base Percentage: '97 Larry Walker (.393)
Home Runs: '10 Prince Fielder (36)
Runs Batted In: '94 Jeff Bagwell (111)
Stolen Bases: '10 Alcides Escobar (12)
Wins: '47 Bob Feller (16)
Earned Run Average: '10 Yovani Gallardo (3.50)
Innings Pitched: '47 Bob Feller (228.0)
Strikeouts: '10 Yovani Gallardo (204)
Saves: '10 Billy Wagner (34)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '91 Mark Grace (.335)
On-Base Percentage: '91 Mark Grace (.390)
Home Runs: '03 Sammy Sosa (31)
Runs Batted In: '03 Sammy Sosa (112)
Stolen Bases: '06 Derek Jeter (12)
Wins: '91 Greg Maddux (15)
Earned Run Average: '91 Greg Maddux (3.71)
Innings Pitched: '91 Greg Maddux (232.2)
Strikeouts: '06 Randy Johnson (197)
Saves: '06 Mariano Rivera (33)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '02 Nomar Garciaparra (.306)
On-Base Percentage: '02 Manny Ramirez (.387)
Home Runs: '21 Jack Fournier and '02 Manny Ramirez and '58 Hank Aaron (23)
Runs Batted In: '58 Hank Aaron (106)
Stolen Bases: '47 Jackie Robinson (17)
Wins: '02 Pedro Martinez (12)
Earned Run Average: '21 Bill Sherdel (4.03)
Innings Pitched: '02 Pedro Martinez (203.0)
Strikeouts: '02 Pedro Martinez (210)
Saves: '03 Ugueth Urbina (33)

The Norris-Smythe Division was created to accommodate the expansion of the Super-League to 24 teams after Super-League I. It was originally named the "Fallen Moogs" division after the Mooglies, who had been retired after Super-League I. However, when it became clear that The Goog would return for Super-League III, it was renamed to the "Norris-Smythe". The Eazy W's, the sole veteran team in the division, walked away with the championship even as ownership struggles loomed for the franchise. The Sonics, on the other hand, provided glimpses of the contender they would become, fighting the W's strongly for the first two-thirds of the season before falling short and being forced to fight in the final round of the Gauntlet (which their owner, Koop, had invented) in order to survive. But not all stories were as happy. The Goose Eggs had been finalists in the Expansion Cup, but found that their commitment to speed and defense was like bringing a knife to the gun fight that was the Super-League. The Suicidal Tendencies are virtually forgotten today, with their most meaningful contribution to the league being an increased scrutiny for deals made by teams headed to the Gauntlet.

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '26 Babe Ruth (.343)
On-Base Percentage: '26 Babe Ruth (.455)
Home Runs: '26 Babe Ruth (37)
Runs Batted In: '26 Lou Gehrig (120)
Stolen Bases: '61 Maury Wills (34)
Wins: '61 Don Drysdale (20)
Earned Run Average: '61 Don Drysdale (3.53)
Innings Pitched: '61 Don Drysdale (216.2)
Strikeouts: '61 Sandy Koufax (236)
Saves: '85 Dave Righetti (31)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '95 Edgar Martinez (.301)
On-Base Percentage: '95 Edgar Martinez (.400)
Home Runs: '95 Ken Griffey, Jr. (36)
Runs Batted In: '95 Ken Griffey, Jr. (105)
Stolen Bases: '62 Willie Mays (5)
Wins: '62 Juan Marichal (15)
Earned Run Average: '01 Mike Mussina (3.25)
Innings Pitched: '95 Randy Johnson (235.2)
Strikeouts: '95 Randy Johnson (254)
Saves: '89 John Franco (22)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '87 Milt Thompson (.307)
On-Base Percentage: '30 Mickey Cochrane (.370)
Home Runs: '87 Mike Schmidt (18)
Runs Batted In: '30 Al Simmons (105)
Stolen Bases: '87 Milt Thompson (30)
Wins: '30 Lefty Grove (13)
Earned Run Average: '85 Bert Blyleven (3.93)
Innings Pitched: '30 Lefty Grove (225.1)
Strikeouts: '30 Lefty Grove (117)
Saves: '87 Steve Bedrosian (28)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '02 Ed Delahanty (.311)
On-Base Percentage: '73 Joe Morgan (.377)
Home Runs: '97 Rafael Palmeiro (24)
Runs Batted In: '73 Dave Concepcion (100)
Stolen Bases: '73 Joe Morgan (55)
Wins: '97 Mike Mussina (13)
Earned Run Average: '02 Al Orth (3.77)
Innings Pitched: '97 Mike Mussina (242.2)
Strikeouts: '97 Mike Mussina (199)
Saves: '97 Randy Myers (37)

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
While I like the general idea of factions battling it out for a prize, I think that the specific layout of the teams is more than a little slanted in favor of the Marauders. I love my Mooglies, and I don't want them to think I don't have faith in them, but...yeah.

Speaking of the Mooglies, they've been uprooted! Larry Lucchino's negative energy was killing the spirit of rock and roll, plus I realized that having two deadballers two Cliff Lees in the rotation meant that I shouldn't play half my games at Fenway Park.

The question now, though: Where can we go? They shut down the Boston Googolplex shortly after the Greater Mooglies folded, and The Casbah is all the way in London. These are desperate times, and they call for the most desperate of measures; using the powers given to me by the gods of rock, I will transport the Royal Palace of Googopolis to this earthly plane! Thankfully I had a baseball field put in during my sabbatical after the demise of the Calling.

Open-air stadium
Natural grass
Excellent infield
High grass
Large foul ground
Fair visibility (sometimes the sun shining off the golden palace gets in the batter's eye)

Dimensions: 365/390/415/395/355

The hitters won't like it, but...they're tough. They'll figure it out. I hope.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

:siren:Trade Offer:siren:

Gumshoes! and Anyone else with a copy of Ryan of approximately the right age.

Due to Super League restrictions on deadball pitchers per capita, I have a surplus of Deadball Pitching. Specifically I have 1924 Walter Johnson or 1902 Christy Mathewson.

You have 1978 Noylan Ryan. I would like to swap.

Why do I want to do this?

I'm cruising into a difficult future where I blow the deadball pitcher limit and Smasher says mean things about me. This is not a concern for you as you have no deadballers.

This is probably a pretty square deal - both my guys are in the top 10 pitchers of all time (Christy is a bit young though), and Nolan is in the top 10 pitchers of the last 60 years. However, you've got me over a bit of a barrel, so to grease the wheels I can kick in a little something extra:

Offer 1: Your pick of one of 1924 Walter Johnson or 1902 Christy Mathewson now and I send your pick of Bill Henry (Relief Pitcher), Robinson Tejeda (Relief pitcher) or any of the relievers in my offer below from my minors after the EC.

Offer 2: If you want bullpen assistance now I can sell your pick of 1924 Walter Johnson or 1902 Christy Mathewson and your pick of one of Hasegawa, Shigetoshi 29 (1998 Anaheim Angels, from the Juggernauts, doing great in the Expansion cup with a 1.17 ERA), Phil Coke (1980 Tigers I think, would make a great LOOGYm currently my EC setup guy) or Kim, Byung-Hung 24 (2003 Arizona Diamond-Backs) right now, if you send back 1980 Noylan Ryan and short, short or middle reliever (respectively) of your choice back. Can be anyone, I don't care how bad, I just need a full bullpen for the cup.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 28, 2012

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
I would love to join the Old Boys Club faction as the 5th member, and I think we should play for more than what you've currently proposed.

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011
Personally I love Smasher's idea. Let's settle it on the field the way it should be done. Only thing I'd add is that neither should have two or more teams in a division. That way each faction member can win a division if the faction's good enough.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Never mind. Smasher did actually reject that particular sell.

cbx fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 28, 2012

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I will vote yes with my 6% share of the Superstars, however I will vote no as the owner of the Second City Saints.
It's not that I don't have faith in the Saints or the Superstars or the Cultists for that matter, it's that I don't want to put my team's survival on all these WHORES!

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

BIG GOV'T BAILS OUT THE MOTOR CITY AGAIN!

Earl Wilson, AP, posted:

In a move that shocks absolutely none of history's slightest critics, the US Government has once again bought out a Detroit-based organization, saving the Motor City Bengals from absolute bankruptcy by folding them into the Norfolk Splinter Cells.

cbx, the newly-appointed owner of the merged teams, had this to say. "Well, I honestly didn't want to see another Detroit venture fall through. When the government approached me with the bail-out talks, I was very receptive and I honestly believe that this is the best thing to do to keep hopes for a competitive Super-League franchise alive and burning in the state of Michigan."

SmasherDynamo, the owner of the Super-League, stepped in and allowed the Bengals to transfer 5 players to the Splinter Cells, but stripped them of all naturally-gained Dispersal Draft picks. Justin Verlander, Wade Boggs, Mickey Mantle, Cal Ripken Jr, and Tom Henke were all told that they would continue on with the Cells, and all seemed to be fairly delighted at the news. The rest of the team was quickly auctioned off to the rest of the Super-League and Expansion Cup.

The National Defense Committee could not be reached for comment. Sources tell us that there is a war coming, and that the Committee has its hands full preparing.

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Trade Offer

Gumshoes!

You have 1978 Noylan Ryan. I would like to swap.

Why do I want to do this?

I'm cruising into a difficult future where I blow the deadball pitcher limit and Smasher says mean things about me. This is not a concern for you as you have no deadballers.

This is probably a pretty square deal - both my guys are in the top 10 pitchers of all time (Christy is a bit young though), and Nolan is in the top 10 pitchers of the last 60 years. However, you've got me over a bit of a barrel, so to grease the wheels I can kick in a little something extra:

Offer 1: Your pick of one of 1924 Walter Johnson or 1902 Christy Mathewson now and I send your pick of Bill Henry (Relief Pitcher), Robinson Tejeda (Relief pitcher) or any of the relievers in my offer below from my minors after the EC.

Offer 2: If you want bullpen assistance now I can sell your pick of 1924 Walter Johnson or 1902 Christy Mathewson and your pick of one of Hasegawa, Shigetoshi 29 (1998 Anaheim Angels, from the Juggernauts, doing great in the Expansion cup with a 1.17 ERA), Phil Coke (1980 Tigers I think, would make a great LOOGYm currently my EC setup guy) or Kim, Byung-Hung 24 (2003 Arizona Diamond-Backs) right now, if you send back 1980 Noylan Ryan and short, short or middle reliever (respectively) of your choice back. Can be anyone, I don't care how bad, I just need a full bullpen for the cup.

While conventional wisdom dictates that I snap up this offer instantly, Mogul seems to give Ol' Nolan a lot more credit than the sabermetric community.

Also, Phil Coke is a current player, and has been extremely hittable for the Tigers this year. No idea why the sim likes him so much.

I am not in the inner circle of the thread, so to speak, but I suspect the "deadball limit" was meant to restrict abuse of the average pitcher of the time, not the Mattys, Deacon Phillippes, and Three-Finger Browns of the world. Big Train wasn't a typical deadballer by any means, obviously.

No, thanks, in short.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

:siren: Trade Offer

1934 Gabby Hartnett for 1968 Bill Freehan and 2011 Cabrera

Archie Goodwin posted:

While conventional wisdom dictates that I snap up this offer instantly, Mogul seems to give Ol' Nolan a lot more credit than the sabermetric community.

Also, Phil Coke is a current player, and has been extremely hittable for the Tigers this year. No idea why the sim likes him so much.

I am not in the inner circle of the thread, so to speak, but I suspect the "deadball limit" was meant to restrict abuse of the average pitcher of the time, not the Mattys, Deacon Phillippes, and Three-Finger Browns of the world. Big Train wasn't a typical deadballer by any means, obviously.

No, thanks, in short.

Entirely fair, as I said in the other thread I was mostly doing it to try and manage my deadball pitcher count which is getting out of hand.

I will say the Sabremetric community does give Nolan some credit - I did some work trying to predict what stats best predict who is going to make a good BM2013 pitcher.

My observation would be that what BM thinks are the best pitchers in a super league environment is similar to the list of pitchers who've posted the best game scores ever, and pitchers who don't do as well in the super league as they might (Maddux who is one of the top 5 pitchers of the last 60 years) don't rank nearly as highly on that game score list.

Nolan ranks very highly on that list, but so does Walter Johnson.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 29, 2012

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

:siren: Trade Offer

1934 Gabby Hartnett for 1968 Bill Freehan and 2011 Cabrera

Approved

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Approved

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

:siren: Trade Deal

1930 Hartnett, 1985 Henke, and 2002 Schilling for 2004 Pedro, 2004 Nomar, and 1977 Reuschel.

Either side has the option at the end of the expansion cup to trade 1934 Hartnett and 2002 Schilling for 1977 Reuschel and 1930 Hartnett.

Edit: Fixed the dates to be the correct deal as discussed in IRC. If anyone wishes to enforce the wording of the orginal deal... I keep Reuschel yeah.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Aug 29, 2012

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

:siren: Trade Deal

1930 Hartnett, 1985 Henke, and 2002 Schilling for 2004 Pedro, 2004 Nomar, and 1977 Reuschel.

Either side has the option at the end of the expansion cup to trade 1930 Hartnett and 2002 Schilling for 1977 Reuschel and 1934 Hartnett.

This deal was the Cultists and the Landers. Accepted by the Landers. To be implemented once Smasher has the free time.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Approved.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

New Lineup - SL Season Ending:

I get a bunch of crap and lose some other stuff

C. Hartnett, Gabby 33 (1934 Chicago Cubs)
1B. Foxx, Jimmie "Double X" 27 (1935 Phillie Athletics) Undecided on "Like a Bat out of Hell" or "The number of the beast"
2B. Whitaker, Lou (2B) (1984, Tigers, CBX)
3B. Sandberg, Ryne "Ryno" 24 (1984 Chicago Cubs) "Iron Man" Black Sabbath
SS. Banks, Ernie "Mr Cub" 27 (1958 Chicago Cubs) "All the way" Eddie Vedder

LF. Riggs, Stephenson (LF) 32 (1930 Chicago Cubs)
CF. Tris, Speaker "Grey Eagle" 23 (1911 Boston Red Sox)
RF. Walker, Larry 30 (1997 Colorado Rockies) Walk Up song: Crazy Train

DH.

Hornsby, Rodgers "Rajah" 33 (1930 Chicago Cubs) "Killing in the name of" Rage against the Machine

Bench:

Bench 1. Barajas, Rod 27 (C) 27 (2003 Arizona Diamond-Backs)
Bench 2. Musial, Stan "The Man" 38 (1959 Cardinals) "The man comes around" Johnny Cash
Bench 3. Kiki, Cuyler "Shirley" 31 (1930 Chicago Cubs)
Bench 4. English, Woody (IF) 23 (1930 Chicago Cubs)
Bench 5. Nomar Garciaparra 2004 (Luna Landers)

Minor League:

Gardner, Larry 24 (IF) (1911 Boston Red Sox)
Avery, Steve 25 (1995, Atlanta Braves, from Marauder)
Boog Powell (1966 - may actually be 72)

Batting Order

1 Tris, Speaker 23 (1911 Boston Red Sox) - Left
2 Hornsby, Rodgers 33 (1930 Chicago Cubs) - Right
3 Walker, Larry 30 (1997 Colorado Rockies) - Left
4 Foxx, Jimmie 27 (1935 Phillie Athletics) - Right
5 Banks, Ernie 27 (1958 Chicago Cubs) - Right
6 Riggs, Stephenson (LF) 32 (1930 Chicago Cubs)
7 Hartnett, Gabby 29 (1930 Chicago Cubs) - Right
8 Musial, Stan 38 (1959 Cardinals) - Left
9 Platoon: Whitaker, Lou (2B) / Sandberg, Ryne 24 (1984 Chicago Cubs) - Right

Is this the best batting order? I have no idea. Is it a workable batting order? I guess it is.

Pitching Rotation:

Starting Pitcher 1: Johnson, Walter "Big Train" 36 (1924 Senadores) Walkup Song: "Train Keep on Rollin" Motorhead
Starting Pitcher 2: Mathewson, Christy "Big Six" 20 (1901 2nd Dervishes) "1812 Overture" - UNTIL HE IS BACK FROM INJURY - Smith, Frank (1911 Boston Red Sox)
Starting Pitcher 3: Pedro Martinez 2004(woo)
Starting Pitcher 4: Rick Reuschel 1977 (From Mr Noun
Starting Pitcher 5: Schilling, Curtis "Curt" 35 (2002 (sic) Arizona Diamond-Backs, via Marauder) "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns n Roses

Closer: Soria, Joakim 24 (2009 Kansas City Royals) - "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns n Roses shared with shilling.
Setup: Reardon, Jeff (1989 Twins CBX)
Short Relief: Kim, Byung-Hung 24 (2003 Arizona Diamond-Backs)
Short Relief: Coke, Phil 28 (2011 Detroit Tigers? Super auction from the bronies)
Middle Relief: TBD
Long Relief: Collins, Ray(1911 Boston Red Sox)

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 31, 2012

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Phil Coke is 2011 from the Tigers, Lou Whitaker is from the 1984 World Champs Detroit Tigers. Boog Powell was in his 5th full season and is from 1966.

cbx fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 29, 2012

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Cthulhudreams, you still want Mays for Speaker?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

tatankatonk posted:

Cthulhudreams, you still want Mays for Speaker?

Not at the moment - I'll still do something for schmittens, elite pitching a catcher or a LF

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Hey St. Paul Bearers: I'll trade you Steve Carlton for your injured Juan Marichal.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

tatankatonk posted:

Hey St. Paul Bearers: I'll trade you Steve Carlton for your injured Juan Marichal.

I feel like the correct response to this is: Our Juan Marichal is injured?

Say, Smasher, what's the order of operations for Gauntlet/Playoffs for the end of SLVI?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Viscount Slim posted:

I feel like the correct response to this is: Our Juan Marichal is injured?

Say, Smasher, what's the order of operations for Gauntlet/Playoffs for the end of SLVI?

He's out for 100 days, yeah.

e: Woops, haha, I just remembered the injury wouldn't have been in the last report since it took place this month.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Viscount Slim posted:

Wildcard Playoff
Gauntlet 1
Division Series #1
Gauntlet 2
Division Series #2
Gauntlet 3
Division Series #3
Gauntlet 4
Division Series #4
Championship Series #1
Championship Series #2
Finals

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Lastly, the Indians' logo got the Super-League banned in India.

I'd like to state for the record the logo wasn't my idea and my original submission was rejected!

(for the best)

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-League History: Super-League III

Top Five Storylines

1. Finger-Bangers break through and win the Super-League Championship!

2. Unicorns dethrone Skyhawks in Dynamo League Division Series!

3. Macho Men Emerge From Depths, Kill Mercuries and Bombers!

4. Sonics/W's and Blood Sox/Bobbleheads Rivalries Go to One-Game Playoffs!

5. Mark Bellhorn Division Sets New Record For Futility!

Awards
Dynamo League MVP: Barry Bonds (NYF)
Smasher League MVP: Babe Ruth (QUE)
Dynamo League Cy Young: Addie Joss (VIR)
Smasher League Cy Young: Ed Walsh (CHB)
Reliever of the Year: Takashi Saito (CLU)

Summary
Click for the obit (where available)

The Skyhawks won. They always won this division. At the time, any other outcome seemed...unthinkable. Of course, their championship run would come to an end this year, but that didn't stop them from taking their third straight Memento Mori Division title. In the early parts of the season, it appeared as if the Oyster Cult Blues might prove to be real rivals, but, as time went on, it was clear there weren't in the same class as the Skyhawks. The Freewheelers and Forgettables did show some moxie, but that wasn't enough to save them from being one-and-done in the Gauntlet.

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '05 Chase Utley (.283)
On-Base Percentage: '79 Reggie Jackson (.339)
Home Runs: '79 Reggie Jackson (22)
Runs Batted In: '05 Chase Utley (94)
Stolen Bases: '28 Frankie Frisch (29)
Wins: '28 Pete Alexander (16)
Earned Run Average: '77 Frank Tanana (3.59)
Innings Pitched: '77 Frank Tanana (200.1)
Strikeouts: '77 Nolan Ryan (224)
Saves: '78 Dennis Eckersley (15)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '80 Eddie Murray (.321)
On-Base Percentage: '80 Eddie Murray (.379)
Home Runs: '90 Ken Griffey, Jr. (17)
Runs Batted In: '90 Ken Griffey, Jr. (93)
Stolen Bases: '69 Joe Morgan (49)
Wins: '08 Orval Overall (13)
Earned Run Average: '21 Elmer Ponder (2.76)
Innings Pitched: '08 Orval Overall (210.2)
Strikeouts: '08 Orval Overall (154)
Saves: '69 Tom Griffin (25)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '99 Nomar Garciaparra (.324)
On-Base Percentage: '99 Nomar Garciaparra (.378)
Home Runs: '75 Reggie Jackson (19)
Runs Batted In: '75 Reggie Jackson (66)
Stolen Bases: '85 Tim Raines (58)
Wins: '75 Vida Blue (14)
Earned Run Average: '86 Jack Morris (3.83)
Innings Pitched: '75 Vida Blue (223.2)
Strikeouts: '75 Vida Blue (138)
Saves: '86 Willie Hernandez (36)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '19 Joe Jackson (.333)
On-Base Percentage: '19 Joe Jackson (.385)
Home Runs: '82 Reggie Jackson (15)
Runs Batted In: '86 Alan Trammell (89)
Stolen Bases: '19 Eddie Collins (41)
Wins: '66 Luis Tiant and '28 Ted Lyons (12)
Earned Run Average: '66 Luis Tiant (3.20)
Innings Pitched: '28 Ted Lyons (206.2)
Strikeouts: '66 Luis Tiant (129)
Saves: '79 Dave Righetti (21)

Super-League II was the finest moment for the Vae Victis Division. Super-League III was a nightmare. The Vigilantes and Riots, two teams who had seem poised to be long-term contenders in the Super-League, both came up lame in this season, and were both relegated in the late rounds of the Gauntlet. The Googles, a misbegotten team, were out of the division race by June. In such a situation, all the Murderbots had to do was play semi-competently in order to survive, and that they did, becoming the only member of the division to survive the season.

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '15 Babe Ruth (.337)
On-Base Percentage: '15 Babe Ruth (.492)
Home Runs: '15 Babe Ruth (31)
Runs Batted In: '15 Babe Ruth (93)
Stolen Bases: '15 Tris Speaker (21)
Wins: '01 Eddie Plank (18)
Earned Run Average: '00 Kevin Brown (2.82)
Innings Pitched: '15 Carl Mays (215.0)
Strikeouts: '15 Joe Wood (132)
Saves: '01 Mariano Rivera (44)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '85 Don Mattingly (.325)
On-Base Percentage: '85 Wade Boggs (.387)
Home Runs: '90 Jose Canseco (39)
Runs Batted In: '90 Jose Canseco (109)
Stolen Bases: '07 Carl Crawford (45)
Wins: '07 Addie Joss (18)
Earned Run Average: '07 Addie Joss (2.45)
Innings Pitched: '07 Addie Joss (245.2)
Strikeouts: '08 Ubaldo Jimenez (176)
Saves: '08 Huston Street (38)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '37 Charlie Gehringer (.315)
On-Base Percentage: '96 Barry Bonds (.452)
Home Runs: '96 Barry Bonds (25)
Runs Batted In: '37 Hank Greenberg and '10 Ryan Zimmerman (84)
Stolen Bases: '21 Max Carey (39)
Wins: '70 Mickey Lolich (15)
Earned Run Average: '03 Greg Maddux (3.13)
Innings Pitched: '03 Greg Maddux (250.0)
Strikeouts: '70 Mickey Lolich (164)
Saves: '83 Dan Quisenberry (25)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '06 Magglio Ordonez (.334)
On-Base Percentage: '06 Magglio Ordonez (.403)
Home Runs: '58 Eddie Mathews (29)
Runs Batted In: '06 Magglio Ordonez (86)
Stolen Bases: '81 Tim Raines (32)
Wins: '77 Rick Reuschel (15)
Earned Run Average: '77 Rick Reuschel (4.11)
Innings Pitched: '70 Denny McLain (200.1)
Strikeouts: '70 Denny McLain and '06 Justin Verlander (135)
Saves: '77 Bruce Sutter (33)

The Sic Transit Vir Division featured a resumption of the Unicorns-Bangers rivalry from Super-League I. The Unicorns, reborn, and more than a little angry at being relegated by the Bangers in the first place, tried to destroy the Bangers in revenge. But the Bangers were at the height of their powers, and were able to win their second straight Sic Transit Vir championship. The Unicorns were forced to settle for the wildcard. Further down the standings, the Juggernauts underachieved again, surprising no one. In the cellar of the division, the Aquamen managed to survive through grit, determination, and Lou Gehrig.

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '08 Ty Cobb (.336)
On-Base Percentage: '91 Barry Bonds (.460)
Home Runs: '91 Barry Bonds (28)
Runs Batted In: '08 Ty Cobb (124)
Stolen Bases: '08 Ty Cobb (59)
Wins: '85 Bert Blyleven (15)
Earned Run Average: '71 Don Sutton (3.47)
Innings Pitched: '85 Bert Blyleven (214.0)
Strikeouts: '90 Orel Hershiser (140)
Saves: '70 Rollie Fingers (32)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '24 Frankie Frisch (.333)
On-Base Percentage: '24 Frankie Frisch (.370)
Home Runs: '90 Mark McGwire (28)
Runs Batted In: '90 Mark McGwire (109)
Stolen Bases: '03 Honus Wagner (35)
Wins: '03 Deacon Phillippe (18)
Earned Run Average: '03 Deacon Phillippe (3.08)
Innings Pitched: '03 Deacon Phillippe (231.0)
Strikeouts: '07 Jonathon Broxton (96)
Saves: '07 Takashi Saito (43)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '18 Rogers Hornsby (.323)
On-Base Percentage: '18 Rogers Hornsby (.383)
Home Runs: '30 Jimmie Foxx (27)
Runs Batted In: '30 Jimmie Foxx (98)
Stolen Bases: '97 Larry Walker (13)
Wins: '22 Walter Johnson (19)
Earned Run Average: '22 Walter Johnson (2.79)
Innings Pitched: '22 Walter Johnson (232.2)
Strikeouts: '66 Steve Carlton (147)
Saves: '10 Jonny Venters (41)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '37 Joe DiMaggio (.302)
On-Base Percentage: '37 Lou Gehrig (.372)
Home Runs: '37 Joe DiMaggio (25)
Runs Batted In: '37 Joe DiMaggio (107)
Stolen Bases: '10 Ian Kinsler and '37 Tony Lazzeri (10)
Wins: '37 Red Ruffing (17)
Earned Run Average: '37 Lefty Gomez (2.97)
Innings Pitched: '16 Walter Johnson (239.2)
Strikeouts: '16 Walter Johnson (148)
Saves: '98 John Wetteland (30)

No team from the Mark Bellhorn Division survived Super-League III, because all four teams of self-inflicted wounds. The Sharks made a series of horrible trades that left them broken and relegated. The Goog had an excellent team in the Great Googly-Mooglies, but traded them in for the Greater Googly-Mooglies who were not nearly as competent. Two seasons of questionable roster decisions left the Fillies vulnerable, and spelled their doom. The Mercuries should have survived, but Senerio challenged the Macho Men in a career-threatened series that destroyed his team. One can only hope that future generations of owners learn from these mistakes, or else this division was nothing but a senseless tragedy.

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '20 Babe Ruth (.338)
On-Base Percentage: '20 Babe Ruth (.480)
Home Runs: '20 Babe Ruth (32)
Runs Batted In: '20 Babe Ruth (115)
Stolen Bases: '51 Willie Mays (10)
Wins: '20 Bob Shawkey (18)
Earned Run Average: '20 Carl Mays (3.25)
Innings Pitched: '20 Carl Mays (202.1)
Strikeouts: '20 Bob Shawkey (111)
Saves: '51 Dave Koslo (10)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '07 Albert Pujols (.309)
On-Base Percentage: '07 Albert Pujols (.395)
Home Runs: '07 Albert Pujols (26)
Runs Batted In: '07 Albert Pujols (100)
Stolen Bases: '03 Rafael Furcal (27)
Wins: '59 Robin Roberts (13)
Earned Run Average: '59 Robin Roberts (3.64)
Innings Pitched: '67 Tom Seaver (235.1)
Strikeouts: '67 Tom Seaver (166)
Saves: '05 Billy Wagner (28)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '11 Eddie Collins (.313)
On-Base Percentage: '11 Eddie Collins (.393)
Home Runs: '02 Troy Glaus (28)
Runs Batted In: '02 Troy Glaus (85)
Stolen Bases: '89 Rickey Henderson (31)
Wins: '09 Cliff Lee (11)
Earned Run Average: '84 Jim Palmer (4.22)
Innings Pitched: '09 Cliff Lee (179.0)
Strikeouts: '09 Cliff Lee (128)
Saves: '02 Troy Percival (25)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '55 Ted Williams (.308)
On-Base Percentage: '55 Ted Williams (.443)
Home Runs: '62 Willie McCovey (31)
Runs Batted In: '55 Ted Williams (98)
Stolen Bases: '08 Sam Crawford (23)
Wins: '03 Roy Halladay (9)
Earned Run Average: '03 Roy Halladay (4.06)
Innings Pitched: '64 Larry Jackson (181.2)
Strikeouts: '03 Roy Halladay (147)
Saves: '08 Frank Sullivan (13)

After two seasons of the Blood Sox and Bobbleheads fighting for supremacy in the division, the Honolulu Lava Flow broke the deadlock by surging to a division title. That left the Blood Sox and Bobbleheads fighting in a one-game playoff for a wildcard slot that would let the winner escape the Gauntlet. The Bobbleheads, survivors to the last, won, and continued on to Super-League IV. As for the Blood Sox, they had never recovered from their upset at the hands of the Mercuries the prior season, and died in the final round of the Gauntlet. The fate of the Drinkers' was even stranger, as their owner simply disappeared one day, never to be heard from again, leading to the retirement of the team.

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '97 Moises Alou (.293)
On-Base Percentage: '90 Gary Sheffield (.386)
Home Runs: '97 Moises Alou (31)
Runs Batted In: '97 Moises Alou (108)
Stolen Bases: '30 Buddy Myer (23)
Wins: '97 Al Leiter (12)
Earned Run Average: '30 Alvin Crowder (3.49)
Innings Pitched: '24 Dazzy Vance (217.0)
Strikeouts: '24 Dazzy Vance (148)
Saves: '97 Robb Nen (45)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '06 Derek Jeter (.309)
On-Base Percentage: '06 Derek Jeter (.370)
Home Runs: '06 Alex Rodriguez (26)
Runs Batted In: '06 Alex Rodriguez (105)
Stolen Bases: '89 Eric Davis (32)
Wins: '91 Greg Maddux and '40 Bobo Newsom (11)
Earned Run Average: '91 Greg Maddux (3.05)
Innings Pitched: '99 Jason Schmidt (192.1)
Strikeouts: '99 Jason Schmidt (151)
Saves: '06 Mariano Rivera (36)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '49 Ted Williams (.304)
On-Base Percentage: '49 Ted Williams (.436)
Home Runs: '49 Ted Williams (27)
Runs Batted In: '92 Frank Thomas (106)
Stolen Bases: '53 Minnie Minoso (9)
Wins: '04 Ed Walsh (18)
Earned Run Average: '04 Doc White (3.20)
Innings Pitched: '04 Doc White (230.1)
Strikeouts: '03 Kerry Wood (124)
Saves: '03 Kerry Wood (17)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '10 Ryan Braun (.294)
On-Base Percentage: '04 Jeff Bagwell (.366)
Home Runs: '94 Jeff Bagwell (35)
Runs Batted In: '04 Jeff Bagwell (105)
Stolen Bases: '04 Steve Finley (13)
Wins: '70 Catfish Hunter (17)
Earned Run Average: '94 Doug Drabek (3.76)
Innings Pitched: '70 Catfish Hunter (216.0)
Strikeouts: '10 Yovani Gallardo (201)
Saves: '10 Billy Wagner (36)

The Eazy W's won the Norris-Smythe Division in Super-League III, but it wasn't easy. The SuperSonics, after a disappointing campaign in Super-League II, battled them hard throughout the season, and managed to take the Eazy W's to a one-game playoff for the Norris-Smythe title that, alas, they could not capture this time around. The Unspecifieds burst onto the league for an encore performance, but did not last long. As for the Masochists? Well, like Zack Ryder, they just weren't built for long-term success.

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '26 Lou Gehrig (.317)
On-Base Percentage: '26 Lou Gehrig (.411)
Home Runs: '61 Duke Snider (39)
Runs Batted In: '61 Duke Snider (114)
Stolen Bases: '61 Maury Wills (48)
Wins: '61 Don Drysdale (14)
Earned Run Average: '61 Don Drysdale (3.61)
Innings Pitched: '61 Don Drysdale (226.2)
Strikeouts: '61 Sandy Koufax (228)
Saves: '85 Dave Righetti (32)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '95 Alex Rodriguez (.324)
On-Base Percentage: '95 Alex Rodriguez (.418)
Home Runs: '95 Ken Griffey, Jr. (35)
Runs Batted In: '95 Tino Martinez (105)
Stolen Bases: '95 Alex Rodriguez (18)
Wins: '03 Rube Waddell (16)
Earned Run Average: '03 Rube Waddell (3.74)
Innings Pitched: '62 Juan Marichal (213.1)
Strikeouts: '03 Rube Waddell (180)
Saves: '03 Kyle Farnsworth (20)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '95 Albert Belle (.306)
On-Base Percentage: '95 Albert Belle (.370)
Home Runs: '95 Manny Ramirez (32)
Runs Batted In: '95 Albert Belle (101)
Stolen Bases: '99 Johnny Damon and '95 Kenny Lofton (31)
Wins: '92 Jack McDowell and '34 Dutch Leonard (11)
Earned Run Average: '34 Dutch Leonard (4.11)
Innings Pitched: '92 Jack McDowell (175.1)
Strikeouts: '92 Jack McDowell (127)
Saves: '95 Charles Nagy (13)

Team Leaders
Batting Average: '04 Albert Pujols (.298)
On-Base Percentage: '04 Albert Pujols (.382)
Home Runs: '04 Albert Pujols (36)
Runs Batted In: '04 Albert Pujols (103)
Stolen Bases: '04 Albert Pujols (6)
Wins: '94 John Smoltz (13)
Earned Run Average: '04 Danny Haren (3.76)
Innings Pitched: '94 Greg Maddux (210.0)
Strikeouts: '94 John Smoltz (194)
Saves: '10 Matt Capps (29)

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!
For those who weren't around back then, what wasn't mentioned was the one game playoff between the Blood Sox and Bobbleheads came after the Bobbleheads went 26-7 over the last 5 weeks of the season to overcome a 7 game deficit.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Expansion Cup: July

Analysis:

:Look at that rotation! And that lineup!
: I guess that's why they call it medium!
: Why's that?
: Because it's not rare, and it's certainly not well done!
: Dohohoho!

Analysis: I don't think Vince Dimaggio has what it takes to be a #3 hitter.

Analysis: Time to start planning for the dispersal draft!

Analysis: Ah: runs. Runs.

Analysis: Well, the Phantoms are dead and the goddamn Imperialists won the Memento Mori. The Imperialists! Are you happy now?!?

Analysis: You haven't got enough talented position players to be competitive.

Analysis: The unnatural alliance of teams working together continues to pervert the spirit of the Super-League, where teams must stand alone, apart. Hopefully the Superstars will go the way of Frankenstein's monster and soon be borne away by the waves and be lost in darkness and distance, but until then, you're only half a game out and the Cultists just lost Mathewson for a month, so expect good things.

Analysis:

From the journal of Christy Mathewson, Age 21

More and more, I regret coming to this place. I was happy in Juneau, even with the snow, and the many, many losing seasons. The cold and the darkness there only served to bring people closer together; you could forget your ambitions and be content to spend time with your family and friends in the ballpark, or next to the fireplace. Here, though, the snow and the people are equally cold. Everyone shares the same unsettling facial similarities, and I can't shake the feeling that something lurks just outside my vision as I take the mound. Once, against the Superstars, I could have sworn that the applause of the audience had suddenly become synchronized, like a terrifying metronome, a single clap, inhumanly precise. I can't forget the sound. It beats in my head, unceasingly, an uncomfortable companion as I look outside at the snow. It never gets warmer, here, they say. Soon the sun will disappear and I will be left with my uneasiness and the blackness. Now, I only see the snow, and remember something Melville wrote:

quote:

This elusive quality it is, which causes the thought of whiteness, when divorced from more kindly associations, and coupled with any object terrible in itself, to heighten that terror to the furthest bounds. Witness the white bear of the poles, and the white shark of the tropics; what but their smooth, flaky whiteness makes them the transcendent horrors they are? That ghastly whiteness it is which imparts such an abhorrent mildness, even more loathsome than terrific, to the dumb gloating of their aspect.

I cannot remember the last time I have seen Walter smile since we arrived. I fear for us all.

Analysis:
: Yeah we smokin' diesel, yeah we smokin' kush
I just smoked some poo poo I think they called George Bush -
: It got me feelin' dumb, it got me feelin' numb
I'm high, how much lower can the ceilings come?
: Above the clouds, flying next to planes
I got sour, you got lemon haze? Let's exchange -
: My money like my weed, yeah, I make it grow
I got everything you need, just call me Trader Joe -
: I'm making dough so I smoke the finer trees
It got me seeing double so I call it Siamese -
: My lighter broke I need some fire please
I got the munchies, let me get a chicken gyro and some fries with cheese -
: Green and Purple, Green and Purple, Green and Purple, Green and Purple

Analysis: More hitters, now! More!

Analysis: Juan Marichal is out for 100 days, which means he's out for the rest of the season. Good thing he should fetch a high price for teams looking to upgrade their pitching. Say, Steve Carlton?

Analysis: Good team. Upgrade your centerfielder, and after that anything will be a luxury, not a necessity.

Analysis: Faithful Moose, your efforts have paid off, and you keep an above .500 record. Alvin Dark is not a suitable anything, so please replace him, and seize the division title while you can!

Analysis: The bad news is that you're crashing back down to earth. The good news is that you, like the Orioles, are still somehow outperforming the pythag and remaining in the fight for the division title.

Analysis: You've got a lot of good, but not great players, and you need to find a star to anchor your lineup if you want to survive in the new and deadlier Super-League. Also, your second Cliff Lee seems to be imploding.

Analysis: Ignoring all the injuries, a lineup centered around Larry Walker and Moises Alou is not going to take you very far.

Analysis: No.

Analysis: Mogul ratings are weird. I don't know how Mays's jumped four points over the course of the month, but his output certainly matches it. Old Mike Schmidt is cooked.

Analysis: Cheaters never prosper, except after this season, when you get a bunch of imported players, I guess!

Analysis: Your lineup isn't generating the offense it needs to be in the McQueen League, so either consider switching to the non-DH league when it comes time, or get some better hitters. Jim Bunning continues his excellent work, but the back end is coming undone.

Standings

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

New Lineup - SL Season Ending:

Please edit Walter Johnson and Christy Mathewson so they pitch right handed, as is historically accurate
Sandberg Throws right handed.
I get a bunch of crap and lose some other stuff

C. Hartnett, Gabby 33 (1934 Chicago Cubs)
1B. Foxx, Jimmie "Double X" 27 (1935 Phillie Athletics) Undecided on "Like a Bat out of Hell" or "The number of the beast"
2B. Whitaker, Lou (2B) (1984, Tigers, CBX)
3B. Sandberg, Ryne "Ryno" 24 (1984 Chicago Cubs) "Iron Man" Black Sabbath
SS. Banks, Ernie "Mr Cub" 27 (1958 Chicago Cubs) "All the way" Eddie Vedder

LF. Riggs, Stephenson (LF) 32 (1930 Chicago Cubs)
CF. Tris, Speaker "Grey Eagle" 23 (1911 Boston Red Sox)
RF. Walker, Larry 30 (1997 Colorado Rockies) Walk Up song: Crazy Train

DH.

Hornsby, Rodgers "Rajah" 33 (1930 Chicago Cubs) "Killing in the name of" Rage against the Machine

Bench:

Bench 1. Barajas, Rod 27 (C) 27 (2003 Arizona Diamond-Backs)
Bench 2. Musial, Stan "The Man" 38 (1959 Cardinals) "The man comes around" Johnny Cash
Bench 3. Kiki, Cuyler "Shirley" 31 (1930 Chicago Cubs)
Bench 4. Gardner, Larry 24 (IF) (1911 Boston Red Sox)
Bench 5. Nomar Garciaparra 2004 (Luna Landers)

Minor League:

English, Woody (IF) 23 (1930 Chicago Cubs)

Avery, Steve 25 (1995, Atlanta Braves, from Marauder)
Boog Powell (1966 - may actually be 72)

Batting Order

1 Tris, Speaker 23 (1911 Boston Red Sox) - Left
2 Hornsby, Rodgers 33 (1930 Chicago Cubs) - Right
3 Walker, Larry 30 (1997 Colorado Rockies) - Left
4 Foxx, Jimmie 27 (1935 Phillie Athletics) - Right
5 Banks, Ernie 27 (1958 Chicago Cubs) - Right
6 Riggs, Stephenson (LF) 32 (1930 Chicago Cubs)
7 Hartnett, Gabby 29 (1930 Chicago Cubs) - Right
8 Musial, Stan 38 (1959 Cardinals) - Left
9 Platoon: Whitaker, Lou (2B) / Sandberg, Ryne 24 (1984 Chicago Cubs) - Right

Is this the best batting order? I have no idea. Is it a workable batting order? I guess it is.

Pitching Rotation:

Starting Pitcher 1: Johnson, Walter "Big Train" 36 (1924 Senadores) Walkup Song: "Train Keep on Rollin" Motorhead
Starting Pitcher 2: Mathewson, Christy "Big Six" 20 (1901 2nd Dervishes) "1812 Overture" - UNTIL HE IS BACK FROM INJURY - Smith, Frank (1911 Boston Red Sox)
Starting Pitcher 3: Pedro Martinez 2004(woo)
Starting Pitcher 4: Rick Reuschel 1977 (From Mr Noun
Starting Pitcher 5: Collins, Ray(1911 Boston Red Sox)

Closer: Soria, Joakim 24 (2009 Kansas City Royals) - "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns n Roses shared with shilling.
Setup: Reardon, Jeff (1989 Twins CBX)
Short Relief: Kim, Byung-Hung 24 (2003 Arizona Diamond-Backs)
Short Relief: Coke, Phil 28 (2011 Detroit Tigers? Super auction from the bronies)
Middle Relief: TBD
Long Relief: Put Christy Here until he is back from injury.

On Loan: Schilling, Curtis "Curt" 35 (2002 (sic) Arizona Diamond-Backs, via Marauder) "Welcome to the Jungle" - Guns n Roses

Change Start on short rest to +1

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
Just a heads-up that :siren:the annual Super League pick-'em has started in the other thread.:siren: Pick today!

I am touching absolutely nothing, as I'm really scared messing with anything will break my team. I'm wondering though, does Mogul think '18 Dazzy Vance can start yet?

Ginge fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 31, 2012