Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

entris posted:

Uh yeah, the Foreign Service is probably a terrible suggestion for Sly. He has kids and a wife. Working for the Foreign Service, while cool for younger people without kids or a spouse, would probably completely disrupt the lives of his family members.

I dunno, maybe they would be up for it? I know my wife would probably be totally into that.

Could be the best thing he ever did for them.

Or the worst, in all fairness. But probably the best. If everyone is on board or at least willing, it's a really great deal. Lots of people bring spouse and kids when they join; for some there are issues, but the great majority embrace it. Of course, I don't know SlyFrog from Adam, so who knows? Anyway, there's a megathread if anyone is interested. Wouldn't want to mess up the dirge-vibe of this one! ;)

Business of Ferrets fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Business of Ferrets posted:

Could be the best thing he ever did for them.

Or the worst, in all fairness. But probably the best. If everyone is on board or at least willing, it's a really great deal. Lots of people bring spouse and kids when they join; for some there are issues, but the great majority embrace it. Of course, I don't know SlyFrog from Adam, so who knows? Anyway, there's a megathread if anyone is interested. Wouldn't want to mess up the dirge-vibe of this one! ;)

I appreciate the ideas. It is not something that would work right now because of the aforementioned wife and children issue (everyone has different opinions on this, but for us it will not work at the stage of life where my children are).

It is something I haven't thought of, however, and could be of interest five to ten years down the road (if I wouldn't be too old at that point - I don't know if there is an unspoken age limit for this type of thing that the Foreign Service applies).

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
Slyfrog's posting is some serious ghost of Christmas yet to come stuff for me. Time to get cracking on some alternate plans.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

SlyFrog posted:

It is something I haven't thought of, however, and could be of interest five to ten years down the road (if I wouldn't be too old at that point - I don't know if there is an unspoken age limit for this type of thing that the Foreign Service applies).

There is an age maximum but if you are 40 I think you will be okay in 10 years. The other guys can correct me but for FSOs it's something like 60 by the time you finish A100 ( think they force retirement at 65).

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
My last OCI interview is in an hour.

Here's me at OCI today:

And here's a quick pre-enactment of all my interviews that I cut from an old episode of Nick Arcade:
http://www.tubechop.com/watch/497517

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
OCI turned you into a worm vampire.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Phil Moscowitz posted:

There is an age maximum but if you are 40 I think you will be okay in 10 years. The other guys can correct me but for FSOs it's something like 60 by the time you finish A100 ( think they force retirement at 65).

Yeah, I think it's 60 -- we had a 59 year old in my class who just got in under the wire.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My in-laws spent their lives (back then it was officially a team job, even though the wife didn't get paid) in the Foreign Service. Although there were definitely downsides and homesickness, overall everybody loved it and wouldn't have it any other way.

My spouse and I aren't suited to any jobs involving human interaction, but if we could have raised our kids abroad for at least part of the time, we would have. There's nothing quite like realizing that your country, superpower or not, isn't the way everybody does things everywhere. All my in-laws wound up with solid language skills, too.

DongWangerLLC
Jul 28, 2011
Hey guys, sorry to butt in here, but I'm applying to law schools this cycle and was wondering about specific T14 schools. I have to hammer out a few targeted addenda ("why" statements). What's the best way to learn about schools other than TLS or a school's website?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Try talking to the students

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

DongWangerLLC posted:

Hey guys, sorry to butt in here, but I'm applying to law schools this cycle and was wondering about specific T14 schools. I have to hammer out a few targeted addenda ("why" statements). What's the best way to learn about schools other than TLS or a school's website?

Just make poo poo up imo, that's what I did for the whys for Penn and Michigan (which at the time were the only schools that asked for it) and I ended up getting money from them.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Talking to the students is a good idea but I also recommend visiting (now, in good weather, long before ASWs) both for statement guidance and for your own personal benefit. One such early visit was a big reason why I ended up where I am; another caused me to rethink what had been one of my top choices.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/young-barack-obamas-genuinely-hilarious-self-paro#HTWF2

quote:

This article, written by Obama's fellow graduating seniors for him under the name “Baroque Yo' Mama,” was published in the “Harvard Law Revue,” a parody of the Review done by the law school's graduating class. The article gives a look into how young Obama's life narrative was already being cast during his time in law school and serves a preemptive send-up of Dreams From My Father.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Is that real? If so its hilarious. I especially like the running gag about how he says "folks" all the time.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is that real? If so its hilarious. I especially like the running gag about how he says "folks" all the time.

All reports are it is real.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Why do people still lie about their LSAT score after they're in law school?

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 26, 2012

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Petey posted:

All reports are it is real.

"... and the ladies love it."

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

insanityv2 posted:

Why do people still lie about their LSAT score after they're in law school?

My 180 isn't a lie.
(Honestly, I don't even remember my LSAT score anymore.)

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Finally got through law school, got a job, and now instead of worrying about marks and jobs I'm worried about billing time and developing a client base. Beginning to suspect the fear and anxiety never end

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

terrorist ambulance posted:

Finally got through law school, got a job, and now instead of worrying about marks and jobs I'm worried about billing time and developing a client base. Beginning to suspect the fear and anxiety never end

No, it gets a lot better from this point forward.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

You have 2-4 years of "What the gently caress am I doing? Am I going to get sued/fired? What did that partner mean by sink or swim/baptism by fire/don't talk to me until the file is closed and final billed?"

Then it starts getting better.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
I think you guys mean better as a euphemism for numb.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Please tell me this is a troll:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503454#post406907452

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Probably not.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3052537&pagenumber=89&perpage=40#post361641323

quote:

About me:
I drink up all the Jim Beam ya got on ya shelf
so just let me introduce myself
My name is Izzy, dual guitars, Thin Lizzy.
Yo heroin, oh how I like to bump thee.
And all the boys with the cut ten--please allow me to suck thee.

Info:
This was a band that is no more, and the other three guys went on to be in other bands that got signed. They are all now touring and recording professionally. I moved out of the city with a drug problem.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Yes, he's a troll and he's been trolling us for a while. And even if he's not technically a troll, he should be seen as one.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Oh good Izzy is back

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I miss you Izzy come back to us

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I miss you Izzy come back to us

So I can remind you I beat you by one on the LSAT :smugdog:

Millennial
Feb 5, 2006

I'm interested in feedback from all lawyers of various jurisdictions. Basically all through law school and my legal practice training I've been told not to give free legal advice in any way shape or form. If a social situation arises or a friend or family member needs advice, I should refuse them any advice. For one, I can be sued to the relevant standard of negligence for the advice I give. And second, I'm freely giving of my wares for no monetary compensation when it's hard-earned knowledge.

The thing is, I feel that a lot of people don't really have proper access to justice and to appropriate legal advice due to financial circumstances. At the very least, I'd like to help friends and family in trouble. Do you think it's appropriate for me to ignore the potential problems in giving legal advice for free and at the very least give a soothing word and a point in the right direction? What do you do in practice in these situations?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Millennial posted:

I'm interested in feedback from all lawyers of various jurisdictions. Basically all through law school and my legal practice training I've been told not to give free legal advice in any way shape or form. If a social situation arises or a friend or family member needs advice, I should refuse them any advice. For one, I can be sued to the relevant standard of negligence for the advice I give. And second, I'm freely giving of my wares for no monetary compensation when it's hard-earned knowledge.

The thing is, I feel that a lot of people don't really have proper access to justice and to appropriate legal advice due to financial circumstances. At the very least, I'd like to help friends and family in trouble. Do you think it's appropriate for me to ignore the potential problems in giving legal advice for free and at the very least give a soothing word and a point in the right direction? What do you do in practice in these situations?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659 - pretty good evidence that at least some of us think it's fine to give non-advice for free.

Millennial
Feb 5, 2006

entris posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659 - pretty good evidence that at least some of us think it's fine to give non-advice for free.

Right. I forgot that thread existed.

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
I say go hog wild. There's a practical line of liability that you have to work to cross. And I think there's a net positive income to the profession if lawyers open up and give some informal suggestions. Many times that advice will end with "go find a local attorney ASAP".

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO
Why does this year even exist

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Solid Lizzie posted:

So you get to be a doctor and your school gets more money.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Solid Lizzie posted:

Do you have an alternative that you'd like to suggest?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

entris posted:

Do you have an alternative that you'd like to suggest?

Make law undergrad like NEARLY EVERYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh I thought Solid Lizzie was just referring to 2012 in general, and to "this year" as a referent to the temporal space that we conceptually define as 2012.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

entris posted:

Oh I thought Solid Lizzie was just referring to 2012 in general, and to "this year" as a referent to the temporal space that we conceptually define as 2012.

I was taking the fact that school has started to infer that 3L was meant, but who knows

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

entris posted:

yes entris, a normal human adult was complaining about the occurrence of a particularly numbered calendar year falling in relational sequence to other numbered years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
gently caress THE CONCEPT OF SATURDAY; IT IS BUTTHOLE AND DOESN'T EVEN EXISt