Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of racing kennels will sell the dogs to whoever. Our rescue group wound up with one who was bought off a track and then dumped in the woods for whatever reason. He was brought in after weeks of being out in the wilderness and was starved almost to death, covered in burrs and poo poo, and his fur was all rough and shaggy. He looked a fright.

He's somebody's happy pet now, thankfully. And neutered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
There is no purebred dog anywhere with as nice a back as Quaffle's.

His hindquarters are actually as nice, but look a little off here due to a couple of inches of butt-fluff and his tail wagging 120 times a minute.

Showladies can have their frog dogs and tribbles, I'll keep this actual Perfect Specimen of Dogdom (in appearance; in terms of any kind of working ability he'd be pretty useless I think...then again, so are frog dogs sooooo)

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

I would happily take this dog home with me and add her to my collection of enormous ears with dogs attached.

Also Quaffle is beautiful and looks like he would be good for hugging. Does Quaffle like hugs?

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Ears are the most important part of a dog. Quaffle has ears like a house elf or possibly Salacious Crumb.

YES he likes hugs! The very first time I met him, I kneeled down to scratch him and he stepped forward into my arms, rested his forehead against my chest, and totally relaxed. He also likes to Sit in Laps. This is capitalized because he weighs 72 pounds so it is a very significant event.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Aravenna posted:

YES he likes hugs! The very first time I met him, I kneeled down to scratch him and he stepped forward into my arms, rested his forehead against my chest, and totally relaxed. He also likes to Sit in Laps. This is capitalized because he weighs 72 pounds so it is a very significant event.

Major is the same way about hugs and lap sitting. He is somehow entirely made of elbows so his lap sitting can be horribly painful but he loves it so much. He pretty much is only allowed to do it at the vet's office so he really loves going there now. All the techs let him have some lap time. His hugs are much more gentle. He either mashes his face into your chest and sighs or puts his head on your shoulder. It's very sweet :3:

This is the picture that I saw on the rescue's website that made me go "welp, gonna get that dog".

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Tell Major I would totally let him sit on my lap and hug him.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Major is the same way about hugs and lap sitting. He is somehow entirely made of elbows so his lap sitting can be horribly painful but he loves it so much. He pretty much is only allowed to do it at the vet's office so he really loves going there now. All the techs let him have some lap time. His hugs are much more gentle. He either mashes his face into your chest and sighs or puts his head on your shoulder. It's very sweet :3:

This is the picture that I saw on the rescue's website that made me go "welp, gonna get that dog".

You are a fool for not allowing this dog to sit in laps all day err day

SatanKat
Aug 15, 2012

I don't have any mutts now, but I use to. When I was in my teens my stepfather was driving me home and saw something black dart across the road in front of his van and the truck coming down the other side of the road. We stopped, and I found a little black on the side of the road. He seemed perfectly friendly, let me pick him up and bring him into the van.

We took him home, then from there to the vet, where they didn't find a microchip, and we left him there. Well after that he went to the police station, and from there to the cat and dog home, and my mum agreed that if he didn't have owners we could take him. From what I heard they traced owners but they didn't want him back.

We did need to keep him and my stepfather's Jack russell(Jack) separated at all times. Jack was old, had cataracts, diabetes and was generally just quite slow, but as soon as he could sense Jasper near he would go mad and try attack him.

Jasper was with us until a bit after I went away to university, where I couldn't take him and he kept running away from my mum. So I convinced my fiance(now ex)'s mother to take him in, but it was on the condition that I could never take him back(they had lost their dog recently and hadn't planned on getting another dog). I'm not sure what's happened to him now but I know he must have lived to a decent age with good people who cared for him.

Anyway, just a couple pictures of him. This is from when he was still with me, along with my old cat(Jake aka evil) who had to be put down this year.

Lying on top of me in my ex's parent's home

An a dog belonging to someone I know online and met up with for a walk with the dogs. Not quite sure what he is, he's going to be on a TV show and she told the people her best guess was collie X JRT, which I'm not seeing JRT in there. He's a nice dog though, good at tricks.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
This is not my dog, but she is at Quaffle's rescue now. I think she may be a chupacabra or a shaved bear, crossed with a gremlin. I just...want...to squish her :ohdear:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23781750

What unholy mix really produced that, I want to know? And how? I mean, check out the ruff of hair on the back of her head:

LOOK AT HER EARS

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Aravenna posted:

This is not my dog, but she is at Quaffle's rescue now. I think she may be a chupacabra or a shaved bear, crossed with a gremlin. I just...want...to squish her :ohdear:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/23781750

What unholy mix really produced that, I want to know? And how? I mean, check out the ruff of hair on the back of her head:

LOOK AT HER EARS

I'm going to go with a Hyena x Direwolf mix. :colbert:

The point is I...I want to rub that head and those ears :3:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
It looks like an expert's dog I think! Certainly has those weird fluffy ears. :3:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Shebrew posted:

I'm going to go with a Hyena x Direwolf mix. :colbert:

The point is I...I want to rub that head and those ears :3:

Nope, definitely African Wild Dog mix. :colbert:

mutantmanifesto
Nov 6, 2004

Wilson: Why don't you buy your canes at a medical supply store like a normal cripple?
House: Fewer bitchin' choices.

Engineer Lenk posted:

Does her tail curl?

She looks a bit like my Westie x Maltese (who also looks like Falcor) - but I can't tell from the angles if her muzzle is shorter than a Cairn or Norfolk.

So I've had my girl for over a week, and now I know what she looks like by heart. Her tail actually does, in fact, curl. It's long and curls over at the top, almost touching her back when it's up.

again:

Cairn/Yorkie/X?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

mutantmanifesto posted:

So I've had my girl for over a week, and now I know what she looks like by heart. Her tail actually does, in fact, curl. It's long and curls over at the top, almost touching her back when it's up.

Sounds a lot like mine - I didn't know her tail curled until she got settled in.

I'd guess Cairn x Maltese.

For comparison, my dog. She ranges considerably in the way she looks.
First day home:

Coat grown in all fluffy:

Coat stripped:

Better face shot:

mutantmanifesto
Nov 6, 2004

Wilson: Why don't you buy your canes at a medical supply store like a normal cripple?

Engineer Lenk posted:

Sounds a lot like mine - I didn't know her tail curled until she got settled in.

I'd guess Cairn x Maltese.

For comparison, my dog. She ranges considerably in the way she looks.
First day home:

Coat grown in all fluffy:

Coat stripped:

Better face shot:

Sooo cute! I'm still discovering new things about Lucy. Turns out she has webbed paws. I dunno where the hell that came from (Brussels griffon maybe?).

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

GUYS JAXON (JACKSON) AND YANG WANTED TO SAY HI!

They say sorry for the lame instagram filters. Dad is a real joiner and thinks they make pictures "look cool". They are ashamed of him, they want you to know.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
This adorable little son of a bitch wandered up to my mother's house after the hurricane storms blew in. He's someone's pet, she knows he is as he does things like hang in front of the refrigerator and whines and hop up onto the bed once she goes to sleep. She posted pictures around her neighborhood and called the local animal shelters, vets, and pounds to see if anyone lost a dog fitting this description, but it'd be easier if she had a dog make/model. Any ideas?

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Possible yorkie/some sort of terrier mix?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Looks like Yorkie/Poodle.

mutantmanifesto
Nov 6, 2004

Definitely poodle X!

thethuthinnang
Feb 3, 2004

cool as heck

Superconsndar posted:

Oh that's BS. That dog is definitely pit x hound.

Yeah, you weren't kidding and my vet was full of poo poo.

In just a couple of years, this pup...

turned into this adorable monster...

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Engineer Lenk posted:

Looks like Yorkie/Poodle.

I choose to believe this because I like telling people it's a "yorkiedoodle".

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

This adorable little son of a bitch wandered up to my mother's house after the hurricane storms blew in. He's someone's pet, she knows he is as he does things like hang in front of the refrigerator and whines and hop up onto the bed once she goes to sleep. She posted pictures around her neighborhood and called the local animal shelters, vets, and pounds to see if anyone lost a dog fitting this description, but it'd be easier if she had a dog make/model. Any ideas?

I think Shih tzu x poodle personally.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

I choose to believe this because I like telling people it's a "yorkiedoodle".

Do you hate your dog or something? :(

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Adorable, but pretty chubby. Just a heads up, 'cause sometimes people aren't aware. :)

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Princess Leia :)

She's just a lovable little cotton ball. She's 3 months tomorrow, and in great health so far!

Toots the skeleton
Oct 16, 2006

toot toot!
This is Sadie, she's a heeler cross, i'm not sure what exactly she's crossed with but i think some sort of terrier, maybe a fox? any thoughts?

itstricky
Aug 13, 2012
This is Boe, he's about 3.5 years old. When I adopted him from the shelter last year they had him listed as just "Black Lab Mix", but I was wondering if anyone had an idea what other breeds he may be crossed with. So far, most people seem to think GSD/lab, but he only weighs about 45 lbs, which seems small to me for a mix of those two larger breeds.

He does not love dressing up.

You can see his lanky build and giant ears here.

A good shot of his build.

The most skeptical of dogs.

Any thoughts?

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

itstricky posted:

This is Boe, he's about 3.5 years old. When I adopted him from the shelter last year they had him listed as just "Black Lab Mix", but I was wondering if anyone had an idea what other breeds he may be crossed with. So far, most people seem to think GSD/lab, but he only weighs about 45 lbs, which seems small to me for a mix of those two larger breeds.

He does not love dressing up.

You can see his lanky build and giant ears here.

A good shot of his build.

The most skeptical of dogs.

Any thoughts?

Definitely shepherd. With his lanky build, maybe a whippet cross? Also, them ears :3:

itstricky
Aug 13, 2012

Shebrew posted:

Definitely shepherd. With his lanky build, maybe a whippet cross? Also, them ears :3:

I'd never considered a whippet cross! It would certainly account for his long gangly legs, although his fur is longer/thicker than a whippet's.

And yes, his ears are completely ridiculous and I love them :3:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
How to ID a mutt:

All mutts have a good chance of being Afghans, Briard, Bouvier and Dalmatian! Finally, I understand! And blue tongues = Chow or Shar Pei for sure. I hope this helps EVERYONE :downs:

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

I love how the brown eyebrows on a black face just has "Rottweiler."

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
It's like petfinderbreedsearch.jpg

a life less posted:

Wow that's a lot of bad information.

ACDs aren't merle.

The author has zero understanding of how red e/e genetics work.

Ugh. I'm lazy and will stop here, but dang.

I thought you should know Cohen is a Border Collie/Chow/Rottie cross.

TVs Ian fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 20, 2012

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Wow that's a lot of bad information.

ACDs aren't merle.

The author has zero understanding of how red e/e genetics work.

Ugh. I'm lazy and will stop here, but dang.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Hahahaha what. merle cattle dogs~

I like how this person apparently did not apparently have a proofreader.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

cryingscarf posted:

Dobermans are just Rottweiler-Weimaraner mixes, donchaknow.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I have seen so many people say "he's merle so he must be an ACD mix!" when the dog doesn't have any ticking at all on it's white bits. I understand why they would be confused but it still gets old.

The people who wrote that seem to not understand that a lot of breed characteristics are due to grooming and taping and various maintenance and thus would not be inherited by a mix.

Also apparently only 3 breeds have the super rare "fluffy" gene. If your dog is fluffy it is a poodle, BC or chow for sure.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

bisticles posted:

We just picked up our first dog today. A year-old rescue from Lousiana that was brought up to a shelter in upstate NY. Incredibly calm and quiet, although it's possible she's just very tired. Not sure what's in her other than Shepard. She's polydactyl on just one rear paw.

Puppy update: Khaleesi (right) is adjusting well and loves everyone she meets, human and canine. The rescue we got her from said she was about a year old, but the vet said that her adult teeth just came in, so closer to 6-7 months... which explains why she is quite a bit larger than when we picked her up. Still very much a puppy, and she just graduated from her PetSmart training class as the only dog who wore her hat without trying to eat it.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

cryingscarf posted:

My boyfriend's 22 lb. full-grown mutt is apparently a Rottweiler! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Skizzles posted:

Hahahaha what. merle cattle dogs~

I like how this person apparently did not apparently have a proofreader.

I used to think that ACDs were merle, but all I had to dog was google it to figure out that it was wrong. I usually just call him spotty.