Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, looks like is FedEx after all. I don't know why it didn't come up until today, even though I have been checking the number since I received it. It looks like it will be here tomarrow, so yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Dominion posted:

The Hellbrute's name is Mortis Metalikus.

Just to be sure I'm getting the joke... Death Metal?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I really don't like that chosen with the LCs. The posing is stupid and the claws are so stubby.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Now that's what I like to see.

e: here are the other two they posted.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 29, 2012

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The pistol-head join on the axe Chosen is goddamn insane :psyduck:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Can't wait to get that set, but in the meantime I'm playing DE with CSM allies.

Got another battle report with 25+ pictures on the group site: http://hammertime40k.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/batrep-dark-angels-versus-dark-eldar-again/

We had a good board setup:

But I let the Dark Eldar down yet again.

Important parts to take away are: don't use last week's army list when the mission type has completely changed (kill points last week, objectives this week), don't camp an objective with Khorne Berzerkers, don't go head-on against a Crusader with a Rhino, and basically roll better.

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to start going almost completely Raider/Wych (I only have 1 Venom) from now on, with Kabalite Troopers doing a lot of proxying as Wyches until I can get more.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Turns out they had the Imperials the day before:

That Librarian looks very convertable.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 29, 2012

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I dig your battle reports krushgroove, thanks for sharing them!

I'm moving on Saturday and I'll actually have an apartment with enough room to comfortably hold battles in my living room, since this time I actually have a living room. Expect more battle reports from me once I can hold games in my own home without dying of embarrassment!

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
Does anyone have a bunch of plain 40mm bases they'd want to get rid of?

I was looking for the bits trading thread, but couldn't find it.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

SRM posted:

I'm moving on Saturday and I'll actually have an apartment with enough room to comfortably hold battles in my living room, since this time I actually have a living room. Expect more battle reports from me once I can hold games in my own home without dying of embarrassment!

I'm in the same situation! Moving into a house on Saturday with two other dudes, one of which plays 40k. Has a big room in the basement that I'm hoping we can put a table in and just leave my Realm of Battle board out on it.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Quick question:

When buying a Rhino it says "Wargear: Storm Bolter, Smoke Launchers."

but than under Options it says "Can take any of the following: a storm bolter for 10pts."

So you do get two storm bolters right?

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Yup. Not much extra firepower really, but could be useful as an ablative weapon to prevent Weapon Destroyed results from turning into Immobilised.

Fair point.
VVVVVVV

AgentF fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 29, 2012

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

AgentF posted:

Yup. Not much extra firepower really, but could be useful as an ablative weapon to prevent Weapon Destroyed results from turning into Immobilised.

A lot less relevant now with glances not causing rolls on the damage chart. For it to matter you'd need to take 2 penetrating hits that both rolled weapon destroyed, and no glances since it'd be an outright wreck at that point.

If you have the spare points take a dozer blade or HK missile instead.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

jadebullet posted:

Well, looks like is FedEx after all. I don't know why it didn't come up until today, even though I have been checking the number since I received it. It looks like it will be here tomarrow, so yay.

For future reference, if you put any tracking number into Google and do a search, it will automatically pull up the carrier and will direct you to the most correct page. :eng101:

You may already know this, by the wording of your post. :pseudo:

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Enentol posted:

If you're really hard up, poker chips are pretty much the exact same size at 40mm bases, if you don't mind the lack of a beveled edge. Don't get the ridged plastic ones.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Those new plastics are really showing off the benefits of computer design. Those are insanely precise fits.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

PeterWeller posted:

I really don't like that chosen with the LCs. The posing is stupid and the claws are so stubby.

I actually like him the least of the chosen - but I still like him. I am a big fan of the guys with just the bolters to be honest...

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Anyone interested in getting into Tyranids? I've lost my passion for the bugs, so I'm thinking about trading for another army, preferably something well painted as I don't have much time for that part of the hobby anymore. I'd just like to be able to field a decent looking fun to play army.

PM me if you are interested. I've got 5000+ points of mostly unpainted 'nids.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ghost Hand posted:

I actually like him the least of the chosen - but I still like him. I am a big fan of the guys with just the bolters to be honest...

He has nice detailing, but the posing and those stubby little power claws just ruin him for me. I too really like the bolter guys. Sure, they're just dudes walking along with bolters, but they look suitably chaotic and imposing. I think the best model in the entire set is the chosen with the power maul. He has a great pose and the detailing is perfect, especially his face and the the tentacle reloading his bolter.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I love the pose on that LC chosen, he looks like he's fixing to wade into a crowd of dudes and gently caress them up, and he doesn't give a poo poo. The claws could stand to be longer and pointier, but I think he rules. The guy with the axe is my favorite.

EDIT: The only thing I don't like about the power maul guy that he's somehow cradling his helmet in his off hand while he wrecks people. It makes no sense.

Enentol posted:

I have a bunch I don't need, but they're some manufacturer's econo bases or whatever that are the right diameter, but about a mm thin and the edges aren't beveled the same.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 29, 2012

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

ANAmal.net posted:

I have a bunch I don't need, but they're some manufacturer's econo bases or whatever that are the right diameter, but about a mm thin and the edges aren't beveled the same.

Thanks, but that's ok. I really like the size and shape of just the plain GW ones.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

ANAmal.net posted:

I love the pose on that LC chosen, he looks like he's fixing to wade into a crowd of dudes and gently caress them up, and he doesn't give a poo poo. The claws could stand to be longer and pointier, but I think he rules. The guy with the axe is my favorite.

EDIT: The only thing I don't like about the power maul guy that he's somehow cradling his helmet in his off hand while he wrecks people. It makes no sense.

I went back and looked at the model in grey plastic, and now that I see he is walking instead of skipping like I originally thought, I'm less bothered by the pose, but those claws are still awful.

I like that the champion is cradling his helmet for the same reason you like the LC guys pose. He looks like a bad motherfucker who gives no shits and wants to make sure you have to stare into his creepy third eye before he crushes your skull.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I always imagined the champion dude as ordering the cultists forward in a suitably heroic manner. I mean, he is saving their hive from the oppressive Planetary Governor, right? :ohdear:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

He might not be saving their hive, but that planetary governor is most definitely oppressive. :v:

Honestly though, I like the champion so much, I'm gonna probably use him for a CSM lord instead of the actual lord model.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ghetto wormhole posted:

I'm in the same situation! Moving into a house on Saturday with two other dudes, one of which plays 40k. Has a big room in the basement that I'm hoping we can put a table in and just leave my Realm of Battle board out on it.

I'm lucky enough to be living alone, but I'm even thinking of getting the Realm of Battle expansion panels so I can have a 4x8 board and leave it up overnight for those extra-long Apocalypse battles. Right now if I leave my board up I can't actually leave my apartment or really get to my fridge or bathroom :v:

PeterWeller posted:

Honestly though, I like the champion so much, I'm gonna probably use him for a CSM lord instead of the actual lord model.
I legitimately thought the box came with a Lord and a Sorceror Lord or something when I first saw those models. Those Chosen are ostentatious in the best way, and I hope a new Chaos Marines box comes out with similar aesthetics.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

So a quick question, but is anyone going to PAX Prime this weekend who is willing to re-teach an old hand how to play 40k? I haven't played for about 2+ years, and I am not up on the current edition or rules, but I will be at PAX all 3 days and saw that they would be having intro tourney events. Shame is I didn't / can't bring my own army along, but I'd still love the chance to get in a game or two and compare neckbeards or something.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

PeterWeller posted:

Same, it practically screams Dark Apostle.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
So looking at the Dark Vengeance DA minis, I'm thinking about trying to turn them into Blood Angels. They share the whole big feathered wings aesthetic already, so that's a big start. What I'm wrestling with myself about is whether to try and turn all those penis swords on the iconography into
blood drops. Maybe I can just get away with painting them in black and having it be a sword variation of the heraldry.

Also I guess if I'm ever going to play eg. DA allies with my BA then having a clear way to distinguish them would probably be helpful.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

SRM posted:

I dig your battle reports krushgroove, thanks for sharing them!

Thanks! This is becoming a weekly thing now, luckily the group of guys I'm playing have all joined the blog and all but one of them have posted WIP pictures already, so the group and the site are growing at a pretty decent pace. Once I get into a rhythm with the battle reports I'll try to forge a bit of narrative too, which can be a lot of fun.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

I like that the champion is cradling his helmet for the same reason you like the LC guys pose. He looks like a bad motherfucker who gives no shits and wants to make sure you have to stare into his creepy third eye before he crushes your skull.

It looks like he's got fleshy bits growing into his armor on the side of his head, so I'm not sure if he can even put the helmet back on.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Wait, chaos is getting a new boxed troops set? 'Cause drat

AgentF
May 11, 2009
I have to say I think that LC Chosen looks good and his claws aren't stubby at all. I imagine him balling his fists when he swipes and then the claws have more than enough length to them, assuming he gets in close of course.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!
Those Chosen look good even in Black Legion colors. I used to regard the Black Legion as one of the more boring Chaos Space marine legions but drat, those models look so good even in that colour scheme.

I'll be somewhat annoyed if they release a new CSM troops boxed set though, I have loads assembled and not painted yet and went to a lot of effort to give them non-lovely helmets.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Hmmmm not sure how to paint the chaos fellas up now, the Black Legion scheme does look good.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

not lame! posted:

Those Chosen look good even in Black Legion colors. I used to regard the Black Legion as one of the more boring Chaos Space marine legions but drat, those models look so good even in that colour scheme.

I agree. I actually think the models look better as Black Legion than the Red Whatevers. It actually makes me pretty excited to paint them up as Night Lords now. I was a little apprehensive about how they'd turn out in other schemes.

And that lord looks nice even in just plastic. I was worried his horns would be attached to the sprue, but that doesn't seem to be the case. A ton of detail on that dude.

ineptmule posted:

So looking at the Dark Vengeance DA minis, I'm thinking about trying to turn them into Blood Angels. They share the whole big feathered wings aesthetic already, so that's a big start. What I'm wrestling with myself about is whether to try and turn all those penis swords on the iconography into
blood drops. Maybe I can just get away with painting them in black and having it be a sword variation of the heraldry.

Also I guess if I'm ever going to play eg. DA allies with my BA then having a clear way to distinguish them would probably be helpful.

I'm not sure how well that would go. You're right that they share the whole wings/angels thing, but those swords would be a hassle to cover up. I don't know if it would be worth the effort. If the new DA codex is any good, I'd just ally them in. Honestly, just do what you think would work best.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Hell yeah, that model looks awesome in just about any scheme.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 29, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
If anyone wants to see what the Chaos side looks like in different colors, there's a guy on Reddit that used layers in Photoshop to change the colors to various Chaos factions: http://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer/comments/yxr2n/starting_chaos_with_the_new_box_set_planning_my/

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

AgentF posted:

I have to say I think that LC Chosen looks good and his claws aren't stubby at all. I imagine him balling his fists when he swipes and then the claws have more than enough length to them, assuming he gets in close of course.

I agree, I like him. They've done the claws a little thicker than the standard Terminator LCs which means they look a lot less flimsy.

not lame!
May 9, 2006
STYLE!

krushgroove posted:

If anyone wants to see what the Chaos side looks like in different colors, there's a guy on Reddit that used layers in Photoshop to change the colors to various Chaos factions: http://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer/comments/yxr2n/starting_chaos_with_the_new_box_set_planning_my/

That Purge colour scheme looks amazing. Better than the Death Guard.

With the addition of the Crimson Slaughter, chaos appear to be heading to the "red phase" that chaos in Warhammer Fantasy went through a few years ago. The other legions look so much better, although I am having a hard time telling too much of a difference between Red Corsairs, World Eaters, Word Bearers and Crimson Slaughter.

Edit: and Dragon Warriors too

not lame! fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 29, 2012

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I prefer Red Corsairs in their original loyalist armor but with it all defiled. It's how they used to be in the older CSM books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
My starter set order is showing as "dispatched" on GW's site - I wonder if it's actually on it's way...

• Locked thread