Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

On the off chance that anyone was waiting for Shadowfist to hit 100% before pledging, it got there last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Netrunner sold out at GenCon in five minutes, with an incredibly long line and people buying 10-25 copies each. The scheduled tournaments were cancelled because they ran out of product. It really sucks, I couldn't go so I asked four of my dealer friends to grab me one, but I'd bet they didn't have any luck.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

BJPaskoff posted:

10-25 copies each
They didn't think to, I don't know, have a volume-per-person limit? :psyduck:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Colon V posted:

There's images on BoardGameGeek with someone with eight copies, so... no. I understand the marketing buzz of "Sold out in under ten minutes!" but not saving copies for the tournament seems like the opposite of a good marketing tactic.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

drat it, picking up a copy was the main reason I was looking forward to going on Saturday. :(

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Colon V posted:

The line was insane too. The FFG line and the line for Privateer snaked all around the convention. You couldn't even look at booths because of the people waiting to pay.

My friend had a VIG badge and got a copy for me. It feels good to be in the 1%.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Splicer posted:

Nope, the Cthulhu LCG has three of most cards, two of some cards and one of some others. They carried this to the expansions. Then it finally got through to them that this was stupid as gently caress (for the reasons listed by moths) and now the monthly expansions contain three of each cards. It was so stupid that they actually rereleased all the previous expansions with three of each card, but the core set is still missing duplicates of some cards for some godforsaken reason. I know all this because I was really into the CCGand was really excited about the LCG but I did not, and will not buy into the game until I can buy all the cards from the makers without having to blow an extra 80 dollars for the privilege of having
because some dumbfuck marketing "lolrares!" holdout won't admit he hosed up.

I have a Call of Cthulhu LCG Core Set within 10 feet of me and it has 1x every card.

I also have Lord of the Rings LCG, and I initially really hated that having some cards 3x, some 2x and some 1x. However, getting CoC after, I now understand why they've done this. Playing CoC with just 1 coreset loving sucks. In fact it sucked so much that we can't figure out if we don't like the game or if we just need more cards and it'll be a cool game. As a result, we haven't bought more cards, because we can't justify putting down money for 2 more coresets for a game we aren't sure we will like.

The reason Netrunner, for example, will again have some cards 3x, some 2x and some 1x, is because the coreset serves multiple different purposes. Yes, it's the first set of cards released for an LCG, and many will follow. But it's also meant to be a complete and fully enjoyable playing experience right out of the box. This is for 2 reasons: 1. it's meant to lure in people who like the game and decide to buy more, like what didn't happen for me with CoC and its 1x everything. 2. a good number of people ONLY buy a coreset and play the game as if it were a boardgame. For these people to have a fun playing experience, the lumpy distribution model is required. Furthermore, there's only room (figuritavely, as in cost-prohibited) for so many cards in one box. 3x all cards would mean less card diversity in the core set. In Netrunners case, for example, that would've meant less factions in the core set. Lastly, the cards they've made 1x, at least in Netrunner, are mostly the unique cards. This makes sense from the perspective of the core set being a full playing experience. Ofcourse, the reason those cards are unique is that they are powerful, so you probably will want 3 if you are really getting into the game. With Lord of the Rings, they had some really strong non-unique cards in only once, which was kind of a dick move.

So in conclusion, is the lumpy distribution model perfect? Clearly not. It's a compromise meant to appeal to multiple different audiences. Given the market realities and the understandable goals FFG has with their core sets, I can completely understand their decisions. And at the end of the day an LCG is still ridiculously much cheaper than a CCG, even if you have to buy 2 or 3 coresets.

As for the expansions:
When they started the LCG model, they had 40 cards in the packs, 10x1 and 10x3. They later changed to 20x3 due to popular demand. I think both CoC and Game of Thrones had 1 or 2 cycles with the 10x1 thing going on. These were later reprinted in the 20x3 format. These games (maybe also Warhammer?) also had some of the early bigger deluxe box expansions with everything x1 or everything x2. These have not been reprinted. The other LCGs have always had all of their expansions everything x3. In any case, all future LCG expansions will always have every card x3, while coresets will remain lumpy.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 16, 2012

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Orange Devil posted:

I have a Call of Cthulhu LCG Core Set within 10 feet of me and it has 1x every card.
Are you serious. This core set here? If you are serious then I have some serious, serious apologising to do to some people. e: rereading the mail I sent them ages ago querying this I see how they could have misread my original question. Urgh. I could have been playing with deep ones for over a year! :smithicide:

Orange Devil posted:

I also have Lord of the Rings LCG, and I initially really hated that having some cards 3x, some 2x and some 1x. However, getting CoC after, I now understand why they've done this. Playing CoC with just 1 coreset loving sucks. In fact it sucked so much that we can't figure out if we don't like the game or if we just need more cards and it'll be a cool game. As a result, we haven't bought more cards, because we can't justify putting down money for 2 more coresets for a game we aren't sure we will like.
CoC is absolutely amazing as a game. The only reason I haven't gotten into the LCG is because I didn't want to shell out for a bunch of dupes, but if the core game is actually one each of 155 unique cards then I need to part putting some cash aside. It's seriously my favourite CCG and CCG-style game ever.

If anyone wants I'll do up a rundown of it tommorrow.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 16, 2012

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Splicer posted:

Are you serious. This core set here? If you are serious then I have some serious, serious apologising to do to some people. e: rereading the mail I sent them ages ago querying this I see how they could have misread my original question. Urgh. I could have been playing with deep ones for over a year! :smithicide:

CoC is absolutely amazing as a game. The only reason I haven't gotten into the LCG is because I didn't want to shell out for a bunch of dupes, but if the core game is actually one each of 155 unique cards then I need to part putting some cash aside. It's seriously my favourite CCG and CCG-style game ever.

Yup, that's the one. It has 155 cards over 7 factions and also a bunch of neutrals, so if they doubled up on any cards then it'd be completely unplayable. Even as it stands the manual's recommended way of playing with just 1 core is "split the neutrals in half, then take any 2 factions and mash all their cards + half the neutrals together". This is the reason newer games like Netrunner include 100 more cards, but double and triple up.

Like I said, the first cycle of expansion packs used to be 1x10 and 3x10 but got reprinted as 3x20, which I can also personally confirm, and the Secrets of Arkham deluxe expansion has a newer (and better) set of story cards and all cards in x2. I think all the other expansions are everything x3 as well, but possibly the 2nd cycle of packs hasn't been reprinted in that format yet, I'm not entirely sure. I'm pretty sure they also brought out a third set of storycards somewhere fairly recently.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Anyone own/playing Redakai? I watched a little Youtube introductory video and it looked like an OK game but with very neat cards. They are plasic and about as sturdy as a credit card. Most are transparent to some degree (it is used as a mechanic), most act like the old-timey cards that "animate" when you turn them back and forth in front of you at a certain angle. You know what, a video would probably be a lot more useful than me trying to describe this:

http://youtu.be/-0BASI68Ds8 This video probably sucks, I haven't watched it all the way through - just picked it because he does a good job of showing the individual cards when he starts actually cracking packs.

This thread has inspired me to buy some cheap cards from dead RPGs every pay period or so, from now on. I can't believe I locked myself into MtG for so long.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Paineopticon posted:

Anyone own/playing Redakai? I watched a little Youtube introductory video and it looked like an OK game but with very neat cards. They are plasic and about as sturdy as a credit card. Most are transparent to some degree (it is used as a mechanic), most act like the old-timey cards that "animate" when you turn them back and forth in front of you at a certain angle. You know what, a video would probably be a lot more useful than me trying to describe this:

http://youtu.be/-0BASI68Ds8 This video probably sucks, I haven't watched it all the way through - just picked it because he does a good job of showing the individual cards when he starts actually cracking packs.

This thread has inspired me to buy some cheap cards from dead RPGs every pay period or so, from now on. I can't believe I locked myself into MtG for so long.

Tried it, both the simplified version and the 'advanced' version. It's shallow as hell. The simplified version is basically War that you get to build your own deck, and doesn't even do that as well as the old Quick Strike system.

The gimmick is neat, and my younger siblings liked it.

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
The game Redakai is probably the single worst TCG in recent memory. It makes for good tokens and trade binder bait, though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
So Netrunner is still amazing after all these years.

I played two games with two different people who were familiar to card games, and they both picked it up quickly. The game is very balanced even though the two sides play completely different, and it's quickly apparent to a Runner that the Corp will win if they durdle around too much.

Always teach players by having them play as a Runner. The only hidden information they have is their hand.

The factions work well, except for a new player. If you're teaching the game to someone via demo decks, it's probably best to ignore the factions for the first game and introduce them later, because the game runs smoothly without them; they're mostly there for deckbuilding restrictions. Since a demo deck is just a faction with all the neutral cards for that side mashed into it, you don't need to worry about deckbuilding at all. It might be good to start with a demo run too, giving them enough bits and icebreakers to get through whatever demo ice you put out.

Another thing confusing to a new player is all the terminology. Some of it's necessary to give the game flavor, like calling the Corp's deck R&D and their hand HQ. But "clicks" could have been "actions" and "hosted" could be called "attached" very easily, just as two examples. The difference between the click and credit symbols on the cards could have been more distinguishable too; even I was getting confused. They should have followed suit with Magic and given those symbols colors.

Does anyone have any experience with LCGs? I'm wondering about the likelyhood of a tournament scene getting off the ground. When the game comes out, you'll be able to get a complete playset of every card for $120+tax. That's not a huge investment. What's the usual release schedule for Fantasy Flight LCG expansions, and do those have complete playsets or do you need to buy multiples of those?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BJPaskoff posted:

What's the usual release schedule for Fantasy Flight LCG expansions, and do those have complete playsets or do you need to buy multiples of those?
Despite my previous complete wrongness about the CoC base set, I can answer that the expansions up to now have been released once every two months and (after the first few) contain three of every card.gently caress, apparently everything I've ever been told about the publishing of this LCG is a lie. I'm just going to stop talking.

The actual game is really good though I promise :(

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Aug 24, 2012

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

Does anyone have any experience with LCGs? I'm wondering about the likelyhood of a tournament scene getting off the ground. When the game comes out, you'll be able to get a complete playset of every card for $120+tax. That's not a huge investment. What's the usual release schedule for Fantasy Flight LCG expansions, and do those have complete playsets or do you need to buy multiples of those?

They will for sure include 3x of every card. Also the way it works is that FFG does cycles of 6 packs. Once a cycle starts, they aim to release 1 pack a month at roughly even intervals. It doesn't always exactly work out that way, but it's a good rule of thumb. Then once a cycle finishes, there's either a box expansion (I expect one for Netrunner and I expect it to include new identity cards) followed by the next cycle, or a new cycle right away. The time between cycles and between boxes and cycles varies a bit more. It's usually over a month, so there's some downtime there. The box expansions will also have all cards x3, with the exception of stuff you wouldn't want x3 like identity cards in Netrunner or heroes in LoTR.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

zanmatto posted:

The game Redakai is probably the single worst TCG in recent memory. It makes for good tokens and trade binder bait, though.

While I don't want to get grog-quoted for this, I completely agree and when I had the game demoed by a local 'fan,' I couldn't agree with his opinion of it being a 'great' game.

Of course, I asked after the game about a month later and the owner of the shop told me that the game died as soon as the anime came out. Apparently the anime was worse than the game.

For the record, why is the licensing so important to the 'common' gamer?

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
It's hard to get someone to drop the investment in a TCG when it is brand new without a hook of some kind. The only reason M:TG could do it was because it didn't have competition. Every other TCG that is played in the US has some sort of marketing hook. Furthermore, if the cards come from a popular franchise, you'd get people who buy packs of the game without even playing it, just so they can collect the cards. There are a lot of people who have pokemon cards but have no idea how to play the game, stuff like that.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Splicer posted:

Is this still happening? I'm kind of interested in CoC but don't know too much about it. My new roommate is into card/board games and I've already introduced him to the Game of Thrones LCG. What's CoC like?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

theguy2687 posted:

Is this still happening? I'm kind of interested in CoC but don't know too much about it. My new roommate is into card/board games and I've already introduced him to the Game of Thrones LCG. What's CoC like?
I was somewhat shamed into silence by the abject nonsense I was spouting about the release format. I'm off to bed but will do up a rundown of the game itself tommorrow, which I promise I do actually know about.

e: I've go this about half done but I have to go do stuff, I'll post it later today/early tommorrow.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 25, 2012

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

BJPaskoff posted:

When the game comes out, you'll be able to get a complete playset of every card for $120+tax.

There's only 11 singletons in the set, and Fantasy Flight did a decent job of making them cards you can live without 3 copies of, either you can only have one copy in play or they're pretty situational. For all practical purposes, you can get a full playset for $80.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I'll just post this here as well in case.

Hey so I'm jonesing preeeetty hard here for some Android: Netrunner and the folks over at OCTGN got the coreset finished for online play. Unfortunately it'll be with censored cards, so you'll need to have cardgamedb open next to it to see card text, but still, would anyone be interested in playing some games?

Get OCTGN from: http://kellyelton.github.com/OCTGN/
and games from: http://octgn.gamersjudgement.com/

I can help you set it up, if need be.

Edit: There's actually an inspect feature which gives you cardtext, and with some work you could uncensor the cards.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 25, 2012

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010
Ask me anything you want to know about the DBZ card game (any iteration produced by Score.) I played competitively from 2002 until Score lost the license in 2006 and could probably write 100 pages on the topic. Funny story, Score lost the license basically because whoever was in charge at the time had a petty argument with Funimation and wanted to "stick it to them" by not renewing the license. That was the end of a long, tragic saga :downs:

Also, Marvel Overpower was an awesome game and I hate anyone who says otherwise.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
How many CoC tourney legal sets are there currently anyways.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Splicer posted:

I was somewhat shamed into silence by the abject nonsense I was spouting about the release format. I'm off to bed but will do up a rundown of the game itself tommorrow, which I promise I do actually know about.

e: I've go this about half done but I have to go do stuff, I'll post it later today/early tommorrow.

Looking forward to reading it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Icy Penguigo posted:

Ask me anything you want to know about the DBZ card game (any iteration produced by Score.) I played competitively from 2002 until Score lost the license in 2006 and could probably write 100 pages on the topic. Funny story, Score lost the license basically because whoever was in charge at the time had a petty argument with Funimation and wanted to "stick it to them" by not renewing the license. That was the end of a long, tragic saga :downs:

That's what did it in?! I don't remember if Chippy's blog on the whole story ever concluded and I hadn't heard anything like that before. DBZCCG forums tend to be written by people who type with their feet and are an over-reactive bunch, so I avoid those places for the most part.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Star Man posted:

That's what did it in?! I don't remember if Chippy's blog on the whole story ever concluded and I hadn't heard anything like that before. DBZCCG forums tend to be written by people who type with their feet and are an over-reactive bunch, so I avoid those places for the most part.

Yeah, I used to play the game and I avoid the online community.

One thing that makes me sad about it is that the game had some really cool concepts that would have made a much better long term game if they hadn't tied themselves so completely to the series power levels.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

lighttigersoul posted:

One thing that makes me sad about it is that the game had some really cool concepts that would have made a much better long term game if they hadn't tied themselves so completely to the series power levels.
I don't think the power levels are an inherently bad mechanic, since it allowed control decks the option of playing weaker heroes for the first turn advantage and a few other things, but it could have been streamlined in a way that didn't use a power chart that changed every 2 sets and had like 10 different levels.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Countblanc posted:

a power chart that changed every 2 sets and had like 10 different levels.
When playing that game now, using old sets are useless without house rules. When my friends and I played, we preferred "use the power level chart of the most recent card involved", or "come up with a custom power level chart". Think I've still got that somewhere.

Fake Edit Here it is.
0/1/1k/10k/50k/100k/300k/700k/1m/2m/4m/8m/12m/15m (Max unmodified damage is 8.)

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Countblanc posted:

use a power chart that changed every 2 sets and had like 10 different levels.

This is the bigger issue. My brother and I tried to get into the game originally with the 'starter' decks and I ended up with a Majin Buu and he ended up with a character quite a bit weaker. Let's just say our initial play experiences were quite different. It's unfortunate.

I do like the power stage mechanic, and a better designed physical combat table that didn't make your effective vary wildly based on where in the series you were playing would have been interesting to me.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010
A character's power level had little/nothing to do with how viable they were at the end of the game (and at most points prior to that.) Master Roshi was one of the best characters in the game, for example.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Star Man posted:

Hey. Still waiting on that Write-Up. :v:

Seriously though, I still remember when I played the DBZCCG all those years ago. Never really did too good, but I still remember using Cell Games Gohan from my mid-point until I quit playing a bit after Buu. I even still have a good amount of my stuff including both of the Capsule Corp. Power Packs. At least I didn't sink hundreds and hundreds into the game.

On a different note. if I was actually good enough, I'd actually make a write-up for a game that I've had a spark reignited: Universal Fighting System. But speaking of UFS, I had a favor to ask. If any of you went to GenCon and got any of the Character Promos they gave out, would anyone be willing to give any of them up? I'd love to be able to get the Terry, Iori or either Kyo.

...maybe I'll just try to get a write-up made anyways.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't mind power ratings so much because when I do play, I still prefer to play with Cell LV. 1 HT Namekian and pile on as many physical attacks that remain as possible (though I believe that Namekian Combo is the only Namekian style card that does that). A pile of Cell, Jrs. make it more fun, but then it's just a matter of getting myself low enough in power stages to let them finish the job.

lighttigersoul posted:

There was a tournament held at GenCon this year by RetroDBZ, and they made a handful of changes for the event. It wasn't something that I had any hope of attending, but I was rather displeased with the idea that they decided to ban Supreme West Kai from the event rather than removing her special rule for defense. She's still a very powerful personality without it, but making her play by the same rules as everyone else changes it up greatly.

They also made some discussion about changing the way Sensei Decks worked and making it so that you could choose which cards you were sideboarding from your deck, something exclusive to Piccolo Sensei, rather than what leaves your mainboard being up to random chance. At the time it was introduced, I had no problem with how the Sensei deck worked, but after four years of Magic, I look back on it and wonder why in the hell Score would want a sideboarding mechanic be so clumsy to use. It made it so that the only cards that were really worthwhile to use in your Sensei deck were "Sensei deck only" cards while the cards that could be in the maindeck from the start for certain match-ups were hardly as appealing because you couldn't choose what you sideboarded out.

...but in the end the online community made their vote or whatever with the finesse of their fists and said no to that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Star Man posted:

...but in the end the online community made their vote or whatever with the finesse of their fists and said no to that.
I really liked the "other" uses for the Sensei deck, like that one Spirit Bomb build. A shame the Spirit Bomb itself really, really wasn't worth all the hubbub.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Me too. I never had any copies of Earth's Spirit Bomb until 2008, but I was playing Android 19 Orange the moment I got my hands on a Buu Saga Orange Style Mastery and Orange Reflex made things so wonderful.

Orange and Namekian Style supremacy, aw yeah.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
e: nm

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
Since we're having DBZchat now, did anyone else play through GT? My group switched over to focused GT pretty much immediately, and my last deck was a Vegeta King of All Saiyan Saiyan Supreme Mastery deck. Was a ton of fun hitting for 30 life cards off of a physical attack.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I was burnt out after getting halfway through Baby Saga. Even though we played Expanded rather exclusively, there was still this whole "first set of a new game" feeling with it that just made it feel like there was too little to do. Or something. I was seventeen and having a hard time keeping up with everything.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Sorry for the delay on the CoC write up which I know you're all crying yourselves to sleep at night over the lack of, but it's on indefinite hiatus due to Life.

Maybe next week.

It's a really good game and I want to do it justice but seriously, gently caress "things that take effort" right now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

lighttigersoul posted:

did anyone else play through GT?
I played GT once, and was almost immediately turned off.

This may be because I was playing with the same someone who decided the best way to introduce me to the Inuyasha card game was a generic "Soldiers" deck versus his turn-two-win mill deck.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I don't remember it coming up much in this thread at all, but did anyone else play UFS? I actually really enjoyed that game for the most part, even though I didn't care for the distribution format that much.

Someone just told me that it was still 'alive' and so I went to Jasco Games' website, and it's just terrible. The art I see for the new original property is laughable, and if you read their news page you can find a typo about every other post. Sad fate for that game.

• Locked thread