Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Next comic:

Annie looks at the stick-beacon, thinks of snapping it, then goes, "Naah."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ChairMaster posted:

I'm pretty sure the dude stands at the outside boundary of the forest the whole time Annie's in there visiting in case he has to come save her.

"So Mr. Eglamore, how was your Summer?"

"gently caress you, Carver."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ChairMaster posted:

I'm pretty sure the dude stands at the outside boundary of the forest the whole time Annie's in there visiting in case he has to come save her.

Guilt-ridden guy trying to protect the only daughter of an old flame (:haw:)
I can totally buy that.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's also his job.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DarkCrawler posted:

"So Mr. Eglamore, how was your Summer?"

"gently caress you, Carver."

:haw:

Jokes aside, I imagine he just happened to be hanging out near the bridge suspiciously often over the remainder of the summer.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

"Well that wasn't very nice, now was it :mad:"

I might use this as an avatar, thoughts?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
"Boo" to you. or BOO TO THAT!

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

thespaceinvader posted:

Unusually, I've gotta say that Ysengrin's gums and mouth area keep distracting me - he's opening his jaws vertically downwards, so the two lines of teeth are parallel, rather than them hinging at the corner, like jaws do, so the two lines of teeth converge at the back; the purple colour is really unnatural (most wolves that I've been able to spot on GIS have black gums, or pinkish gums, I've yet to find a purple one); and the gumlines feel too straight. I don't like to be the one to critique Tom's art, but it's detracting from the rest of the page, I feel - the snarling wolf would be scarier if its anatomy worked properly.

The rest of the page works really well, particularly the panel design, which really conveys a strong sense of the action - but that one little thing keeps dragging my attention out of the story, probably because it's so unusual that that happens at this stage.

The purple gums make him look more sickly to me, like he's really not that healthy.

Which he isn't, in body and mind.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Reserved

:f5: :f5: :f5:

poo poo! Why do we have to wait 48 hours for Friday?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Maybe she did hurt her ankle?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think Ysengrin might get die, Annie seems kinda sad about what's about to happen.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

ChairMaster posted:

I think Ysengrin might get die, Annie seems kinda sad about what's about to happen.

Um. I really don't think it will come to that. Namely, I don't think Coyote would allow his servant to be outright killed. I think the sadness is Annie realizing that she'll never be able to be friends with Ysengrin again after this. He's just too far gone.

Also, really intimidating looking. Panel four is awesome.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

ChairMaster posted:

I know it's not going to happen, but Annie's reaction makes me imagine that, off-panel, Eglamore's already there. Right on top of Ysengrin, with a bigass sword plunged right through his body. As if it took five seconds for him to arrive, and a half-second for him to handle the problem.

I expect it's more that she's being awfully calm and sentimental for a girl moments away from being torn apart by a wolf-monster.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Maybe she's "Oh, Ysengrin"-ing at the fact he's already been decapitated by A Really Fast Dude With A Big Sword.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Zorak posted:

Maybe she's "Oh, Ysengrin"-ing at the fact he's already been decapitated by A Really Fast Dude With A Big Sword.

Actually, ya that could be true. Didn't think about that pause after the one.

Edit: O crap, I didn't notice the change in her eyes. He might really be dead....O no!

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 29, 2012

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Oh no, Ysengrin :ohdear:

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
I think she might have realized at the last moment that Ysengrin's attack was largely animal posturing, because he didn't jump at her as soon as he caught up.

Also, it is a nice detail that Annie's hair knot got unmade over the last few pages, as a callback to Coyote's words. I am not sure what the significance of the tied up hair is, though. It may represent how comfortable she feels in the forest.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Namely, I don't think Coyote would allow his servant to be outright killed.

Judging by every Coyote/Ysengrin interaction we've seen in this comic so far, I don't agree with this at all. Hell, he might even think it funny.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Awesome, Ysengrin held himself back at the last moment to let the human girl live! He's growing as a perNOOOO EGLAMORE well so much for that.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Man do you think Tom is actually gonna kill off Ysengin? Has he even killed off a character so far in the story?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Talorat posted:

Man do you think Tom is actually gonna kill off Ysengin? Has he even killed off a character so far in the story?

You gotta start from somewhere. :unsmigghh:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, I don't think he's gonna die. I think he's gonna stop and give the human a chance just long enough to get slashed in the face by Eglamore as a reward.

That'll teach him to trust a human.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 29, 2012

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Princess Mononoke suddenly no longer such a fun movie for Annie.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hey, don't lose your heads over the next update :v:

:(

I was imagining Coyote was trying to teach her some humility. Ending the affair in tragedy wasn't exactly what I had in mind.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Talorat posted:

No one that hasn't been dead before the story took place.

Also one of the Tic-Tocs totally died. A tragedy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kat totally killed that robot.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

And Annie killed an ant.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

A shadow person died too!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SynthOrange posted:

Kat totally killed that robot.

Jack completely killed that other robot.

Man, robots get the short end of the stick.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I got a bad feeling about this...

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Saoshyant posted:

And Annie killed an ant.

Huh, this begs the question, who'll take Ysengrin after he dies?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

VictorGrunn posted:

I know it's not going to happen, but Annie's reaction makes me imagine that, off-panel, Eglamore's already there. Right on top of Ysengrin, with a bigass sword plunged right through his body. As if it took five seconds for him to arrive, and a half-second for him to handle the problem.

I expect it's more that she's being awfully calm and sentimental for a girl moments away from being torn apart by a wolf-monster.

Zorak posted:

Yeah the timing and setup made this the first thing to come to mind for me.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Did you know? If Eglamore traveled a mile within 5 seconds, he would be moving approximately 720 miles per hour. That's just under the speed of sound at sea level.

:science:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Geekner posted:

Did you know? If Eglamore traveled a mile within 5 seconds, he would be moving approximately 720 miles per hour. That's just under the speed of sound at sea level.

:science:

He's pretty good at what he does. Unlike Boxbot. Just terrible.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YF-23 posted:

I don't want to find out :ohdear:

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Oh no no no, I'm not ready for a major character death in Gunnerkrigg Court. Not yet.

Actually the possibility that Eglamore might kill Ysengrin didn't even cross my mind when I first read the page. It will be interesting to see the implications for Court/ Forest relations if it really comes to violence, whether Ysengrin is in the picture or not, but I'm still hoping it'll just be Eglamore swooping in and yoinking Annie out of the way before anything bad happens.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

YF-23 posted:

The rules are probably different for creatures born of the ether.

If not, then perhaps Woden. Ysengrin represents the English in the Renard tales, right? Or am I misremembering?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
It's worth noting that in most of the folk stories, Ysengrin does end up dying, severely hurt, or otherwise end tragically.

Hammer Backspace
Jan 3, 2011

we're gonna throw a world domination slumber party and we're not inviting any boys!!!!

Brannock posted:

Yeah the timing and setup made this the first thing to come to mind for me.

I really don't think it's going to cut back to Ysengrin already having been killed for a whole mess of reasons. There's some meta-reasons; it would feel anticlimactic to me, it wouldn't really fit with the tone of the rest of the chapter. In-story, Eglamore probably wouldn't be dumb enough to kill a forest person unless he absolutely had to. Also, Annie looks more remorseful (due to the irrevocable loss of what she thought was a close friendship, or seeing the depths of Ysengrin's hate for the first time) than she does horrified (due to being served wolf kebabs).

Probably mostly I believe this because I still feel sorry for Ysengrin and I want things to turn out okay for the crazy bastard :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Well, there's always the possibility of Eglamore severely damaging Ysengrin's tree-body but not Ysengrin himself. We'd still get wolf kebab in that case, but not of the meaty variety.

I dunno though. Back when Coyote freaked out and threatened Annie I definitely didn't feel like she was in any danger at all. It just didn't fit with his character and with how that page and the last couple pages had been set up.

But this? Ysengrin has completely lost his marbles and is ready to eviscerate Annie. Something's gotta give here.