Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Horse Divorce posted:

Stroking is done, I believe, by changing out the crankshaft and/or piston rod to give it farther travel on the down stroke.
It'll travel farther both up and down, so you need to watch where you're sticking the pistons, in case they are going to hit something, and make modifications to suit. There are also issues with large increases in stroke with the effective angle the conrods have to move through, unless you also lengthen them proportionally (and then you risk further space issues) - When Fiat stroked the FIRE unit from 1100 to 1242, the block is actually about half an inch taller to let them make everything work right.

Also, you generally need a new crank for large increases in stroke, and it's the "proper" way to do it, but there is another method whereby you grind down the journals such that you offset their centreline and use smaller bearings, and that nets you a small increase in stroke. I'd say it's not really worth it, but if you're in a racing series that says you must use a certain crank, and doesn't say you can't regrind it, a few extra cc could be what you want.

Similarly, you can eke out more room for over-boring by offsetting the centres of the cylinders when you do so, to avoid making the block too thin between them - the VW VR6 design is this taken to an extreme level. If you ever see someone take a classic Mini out to 1380cc (one of the common sizes, and pretty close to the ultimate limit for the engine), it'll likely use offset bores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Kastein - I asked about a squeak in my front wheels previously and you said if it's not the brakes it's probably the u-joints. I changed out the pads in the front and I'm still getting the same squeak with every rotation. Is there a good way to tell for sure if it's the u-joints, or do I just need to replace them and then I'll know if they were guilty?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Motor Swap update:

Kastein will probably want to be more specific... or maybe not.

Here are the highlights from the past 2 days.

Friday pulling into ACEofSnett's garage.

New 4.0L motor from a 94 cherokee.

bye bye auto trans!

Engine bay starting to clear out a bit.

4.2L motor has been sucessfully goon-swapped.

Empty bay. Look at that nice scorch mark where I used to have a sweet exhaust leak.

Oh there's my new chryco 8.25 rear end.

off to pull some crap from junked cars.

And this is why I'm using cherokees as donors :allears:

Engine paint was on sale so I grabbed some and cleaned up the inside of the engine bay quickly.

I never did get a photo of the new pile of extra parts that came out of my YJ. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 25, 2012

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Godholio posted:

Increasing the stroke (distance the piston moves up and down) to increase power. A crank that moves it a little more, usually longer connecting rods as well. It increases cubic inches without having to do machine work (shaving the cylinders to increase bore size). A Chevy 383 is a 350 that's been stroked, for example.

You typically have to use shorter connecting rods with a bigger crankshaft. You want the top of the stroke to stop at the same place (unless you did some crazy head/valve work but if you did then you know the exceptions already), but go further down into the cylinder.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

commissargribb posted:

And this is why I'm using cherokees as donors :allears:

Its... beautiful! The jys around here have no xj's to pick from. God, i'd give anything to run through those for a while.

Where is this? What State?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

EightBit posted:

You typically have to use shorter connecting rods with a bigger crankshaft. You want the top of the stroke to stop at the same place (unless you did some crazy head/valve work but if you did then you know the exceptions already), but go further down into the cylinder.

poo poo you're right. Bad time to get it backwards.

jdfording
Nov 10, 2006
This is probably the worst thread to ask this in but is there a Land Cruiser thread? Please don't kill me :)

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

jdfording posted:

This is probably the worst thread to ask this in but is there a Land Cruiser thread? Please don't kill me :)

There was one, but the cost of constantly fixing it drove it to the gas chamber.

I kid, of course.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Godholio posted:

poo poo you're right. Bad time to get it backwards.
You didn't, not entirely: While modifying an engine with a longer stroke may force you to use shorter rods, the better description from an engineering perspective is longer ones can have advantages, but then so can short ones... It's a balancing act of things like piston speed at different parts of the stroke, angular force on gudgeon pins, your valve timing and so on.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Horse Divorce posted:

Its... beautiful! The jys around here have no xj's to pick from. God, i'd give anything to run through those for a while.

Where is this? What State?

Sam's Pull-A-Part Worcester, MA

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

InitialDave posted:

You didn't, not entirely: While modifying an engine with a longer stroke may force you to use shorter rods, the better description from an engineering perspective is longer ones can have advantages, but then so can short ones... It's a balancing act of things like piston speed at different parts of the stroke, angular force on gudgeon pins, your valve timing and so on.

Fair enough, SBCs are pretty much the only engines I've read into this about, and they use a shorter rod for a stroker. Either way I didn't type what I intended, but it's nice to know I lucked out and was half-right. :)

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Made some new ground wires.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I picked up the Smittybilt side steps for my 12 JK, hopefully should be getting them in about a week or so. After that I haven't a clue, I'd like to replace the bumpers however for some reason I'd like to keep the stock fog lights and don't know why.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

A wild and regal Kastein has been spotted.

commissargribb posted:

Sam's Pull-A-Part Worcester, MA

I was also at 128 auto in waltham and they had a row of cherokees. These things love to fill new england bone yards.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Ace is trying to kill it with his eyes while thinking "oh loving christ, why did I get myself into this project."

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
After replacing the CPS, followed by a day of throwing codes, my 1999 XJ seems to be running better than ever...I think that sounds crazy but it is shifting smoother and I haven't heard the loud clunk and jolt when shifting into drive in awhile. Does the CPS have anything to do with any of this or is it placebo effect?

I also thought my fuel pump was going bad due to hard starts, but it starts instantly every time now. That sorta makes sense though...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
poo poo, I got way behind on this thread.

Horse Divorce posted:

Hey kastein, I've got a 92 xj 4.0 that drives warm, just like all the others. I put a new radiator in myself early this year, but that didn't solve the problem. Last months, I had a local shop do a coolant flush. They're saying that the flush isn't going to solve the problem.

Apparently there is a buildup of nastyness inside the coolant-running part of the engine that is preventing heat from transferring the way it should. They say taht the best way to fix this is a teardown of the engine. I'm inclined to believe them, you should have seen the crap that was in the radiator.

Anyway, considering the engine is just past to 222k mark, I'm thinking an overhaul is a good idea anyway. What do you think something like that would cost?

A good flush can definitely fix it, but the problem is, by the time you use harsh enough chemicals to dissolve all the crap, you're going to be eating up your water pump, heater core, hoses, radiator, and possibly freeze plugs at the same time. Honestly, having never done this, I'm not sure what my approach would be, but I'd likely pull the water pump, disconnect all coolant hoses from the motor, pull the thermostat, and take a look inside. If it looks horribly gross, throw in a sacrificial set of freeze plugs and water pump (an old worn out one is fine), reinstall the thermostat housing with a 50c gasket and some shellac, block the pump outlet off, fill that fucker with the most hardcore radiator flush you can find, wait a while, then drain it and see what came out with it. Flush it out with a hose then do it again if needed.

Once you're done, replace all the freeze plugs you can get to (the driver side has like 5-6, the back of the block has one but you have to drop the trans to get at it) and put it all back together. If you have to do the driver side freeze plugs, you will need to pull the manifolds to get to them, buy a felpro manifold gasket for $7 and a new exhaust donut gasket, if you live in the rust belt expect to have to dremel the exhaust manifold collector studs and punch them out, then replace with through bolts.

Honestly, if it's staying under 220 or so, I would throw a new thermostat (stant 195 degree superstat ONLY, there are a lot of poo poo thermostats on the market), flush the radiator again, fill it up with good coolant and see what happens. Also put a temp gauge of some sort on your trans cooler line if you have an auto. I had what I thought was an overheating problem on my 96 XJ for a while, but it turned out to be the first sign of the abused AW4 slipping and self clearancing a lot of important internal components. Replaced it and my engine went from hitting the red zone on the highway to running at 210 degrees no matter what I did to it.

An overhaul on a 4.0 will cost you a few hundred bucks (I am going to estimate around 500-800 in parts) if you do it yourself, but will easily cost at least 1500-2500 if you have a shop do it.

Astonishing Wang posted:

Kastein - I asked about a squeak in my front wheels previously and you said if it's not the brakes it's probably the u-joints. I changed out the pads in the front and I'm still getting the same squeak with every rotation. Is there a good way to tell for sure if it's the u-joints, or do I just need to replace them and then I'll know if they were guilty?

Turn the wheels to about a 20 degree angle, put the frontend on jackstands, and spin the tires by hand while watching/listening to the ujoint. You should hear a squeak most likely.

As for sandbagger - I am finally caught up on sleep (I think) from the wrenching and driving marathon. Parts list for the swap and donors:
99 XJ is donating:
* NP231 (it's getting an SYE, so late vs early model tailcone does not matter)
* 29 spline 8.25

94 XJ is donating:
* engine and 99% of the things attached to it (wiring harness carcass, ECU, manifolds, accessories, etc)
* front driveshaft (we swiped front driveshafts off a few random 4.0/auto XJs since they're basically all the same length and will be cut down anyways)
* throttle cable (hopefully, we pulled it since it was cheap, it looks like it'll fit)
* fuel pump (will need to customize the fuel tank sender to accept it, as the 87 YJ has either no lift pump or a low pressure electric lift pump, with a mechanical pump on the engine)
* other stuff I'm sure I am forgetting

96 XJ is probably donating:
* AX15
* hopefully AX15 to trans mount adapter plate, pressure plate, clutch fork, and clutch disc
* hopefully the pigtail for the reverse lights on the wiring harness

95 ZJ w/ 4.0 donated:
* water pump and pulley (to allow the factory mechanical clutch fan from the YJ to mount to the XJ 4.0 with standard XJ serpentine belt and routing)

91-95 YJ donated:
* pedal box, pedals, brackets, brake light switch, brake light switch connector etc - ideally would have used a RENIX era one, the clutch master cylinder and brake booster mounting and pushrod setups are somewhat different which required some work to line things up.

Stuff being bought brand new:
* SYE (I had one around that I don't need because my plans changed, paid 160, selling for 160, probably the best full SYE kit price around without having an "in" at a 4x4 shop)
* spring under axle perches for an 8.25" (3" axle tube diameter) http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/SU-PERCH.html
* 4 U-bolts for 8.25" (3") http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/UB3.html
* spring plates - we should be able to reuse the stock ones after opening the holes out a bit. If not, I have 1/2" steel flat stock and a drill press :getin:
* 94 XJ CPS (neither of us felt like crawling under a junkyard XJ long enough to pull a used and possibly broken CPS to save a few bucks)
* possibly clutch disc and pressure plate plus pressure plate bolts
* FC69907 pilot bearing
* 91-95 YJ pre-bled clutch master and slave set
* new battery terminals and likely cable as well (may be able to reuse old cables with new terminals)
* 96 and earlier XJ fuel filter
* ~92-93 and later XJ oil filter (VO45 filter rather than the older VO33 filter used on the earlier filter base)
* transmission mount - may need to do some custom work here to make things line up
* exhaust pipe stuff - won't know what exactly we need till the engine is in place
* likely some steel fuel line
* 195 degree Stant thermostat + gasket
* 94 XJ valve cover gasket
* CJ7 coolant temp and oil pressure senders (to match resistance gradient with the CJ7 gauges and dash already installed)
* new snap ring for the clutch pedal because some retard let it fall on the floor and it's somewhere in a massive pile of speedi-dry now
* 95 YJ power steering pressure hose

I think that's about it. Most of that is already on hand, or lined up. The end result should be an 87 YJ with a high output 4.0L engine, OBD-1, a CJ dash cluster with all gauges functional, an external slave 5 speed manual transmission, an 8.25" rearend, and an SYE'd NP231 transfer case.

ninja edit:
went wheeling with Ace and ghawk Saturday. I drove the MJ, Ace drove the red turd XJ because his truck is down right now. I told him to try and break the drat thing or at least get it stuck and he didn't manage to...

This trail hasn't been driven in quite some time. The recent storms weren't kind to it, we had to drag a lot of limbs out of the way, or simply push them out of the way in this case.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 27, 2012

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

Now you have to teach commisargribbs to break sandbagger.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

kastein posted:

A good flush can definitely fix it, but the problem is, by the time you use harsh enough chemicals to dissolve all the crap, you're going to be eating up your water pump, heater core, hoses, radiator, and possibly freeze plugs at the same time. Honestly, having never done this, I'm not sure what my approach would be, but I'd likely pull the water pump, disconnect all coolant hoses from the motor, pull the thermostat, and take a look inside. If it looks horribly gross, throw in a sacrificial set of freeze plugs and water pump (an old worn out one is fine), reinstall the thermostat housing with a 50c gasket and some shellac, block the pump outlet off, fill that fucker with the most hardcore radiator flush you can find, wait a while, then drain it and see what came out with it. Flush it out with a hose then do it again if needed.

Once you're done, replace all the freeze plugs you can get to (the driver side has like 5-6, the back of the block has one but you have to drop the trans to get at it) and put it all back together. If you have to do the driver side freeze plugs, you will need to pull the manifolds to get to them, buy a felpro manifold gasket for $7 and a new exhaust donut gasket, if you live in the rust belt expect to have to dremel the exhaust manifold collector studs and punch them out, then replace with through bolts.

Honestly, if it's staying under 220 or so, I would throw a new thermostat (stant 195 degree superstat ONLY, there are a lot of poo poo thermostats on the market), flush the radiator again, fill it up with good coolant and see what happens. Also put a temp gauge of some sort on your trans cooler line if you have an auto. I had what I thought was an overheating problem on my 96 XJ for a while, but it turned out to be the first sign of the abused AW4 slipping and self clearancing a lot of important internal components. Replaced it and my engine went from hitting the red zone on the highway to running at 210 degrees no matter what I did to it.

An overhaul on a 4.0 will cost you a few hundred bucks (I am going to estimate around 500-800 in parts) if you do it yourself, but will easily cost at least 1500-2500 if you have a shop do it.

holy poo poo, 1500 for a shop to do an overhaul! drat I hate being poor. Thanks for the info on the engine flush though, I've been thinking of putting new headers and doing a manifold swap anyway, this might be the chance to do it.

Raw_Beef
Jul 2, 2004

We know what you been up to and my advice on that little venture is to pack it in. It won't work. It will all end in tears.

Horse Divorce posted:

holy poo poo, 1500 for a shop to do an overhaul! drat I hate being poor. Thanks for the info on the engine flush though, I've been thinking of putting new headers and doing a manifold swap anyway, this might be the chance to do it.

If its 800 in parts and takes 8+ hours, thats a reasonable price. Not venting at you specifically but drat im tired of people thinking we'll work on their cars as a hobby. Gotta pay them bills, yo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Horse Divorce posted:

Yeah, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's on the bottom end of the scale, either. My parents paid over 2500 dollars for transmission rebuilds and something like 3000 for an engine rebuild at one point during my childhood, auto repairs are really really not cheap unless you do them yourself.

On the other hand, around here, I get 4.0s so cheap it really doesn't pay to rebuild them. I've bought five or six, most of them for 75 bucks, one for 100, one for 160, and I sourced the one for CommissarGribb's YJ for 50 bucks plus fuel to pick it up from a friend on the other side of the state - complete with almost everything required to make it run.

OneOverZero
Oct 14, 2005

JET FUEL CAN'T MELT SEALED BEAMS
For what it's worth, I'm paying a little over $1000 for machine work for a turbo-intent '94 4.0 - that's pretty much everything you could possibly do to the block, head, crank, and rods, including ARP rod bolts, freeze plugs, cam bearings, etc, but excluding a line bore (block was straight if not flat). Also includes three-angle valve job and reassembly with new guides, seals, etc etc. It's not cheap machine work, but it's by someone respected who takes the time to get it right.

All things said and done, I'm looking at roughly $1700 for a full rebuild with Clevite bearings, Melling oil pump, Flowkooler water pump, Mopar double-roller timing kit, CompCams cam/lifters, etc. I'm doing everything apart from machine work myself. Gonna be good ol' AMC smallblock blue. All this because I bought an MJ with a collapsed lifter...

So yeah - you could rebuild a 4.0 internally for $400 quite easily if you had nothing machined, but I think that adding a couple hundred to that for some simple machine work (notably, cleaning up the deck and the head) is worthwhile, especially if you're willing to check bearing clearances individually and order replacements accordingly.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I think I may go as far as putting a new oil filter on my 4.0

5 bux is a lot to spend on an I6 though so maybe not.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Already got one for it, that was in the pile o poo poo from advance auto on friday! Fortunately the YJ doesn't seem to use an oil filter adapter so the XJ oil filter adapter will be removed and substituted for just the filter center thread/pipe, that's one of the common spots for a 4.0 to leak from.

I never count on being able to reuse filters because 1. They tend to get mangled while removing, hauling, and installing the new motor and 2. That's kinda ghetto. Too ghetto even for me.

Ps - the numbers I gave were rough estimates based on my assumption that the vehicle would drive in, get a full 4.0 rebuild, and drive out. 1700 including machine work and parts is a pretty decent price all things considered, mind if I ask where? (I really hope it's not Titan :ohdear:)

Make sure you break that cam in properly!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

kastein posted:

Turn the wheels to about a 20 degree angle, put the frontend on jackstands, and spin the tires by hand while watching/listening to the ujoint. You should hear a squeak most likely.
Thanks for this - Unfortunately this has become the lesser of my concerns :(

2 days ago I noticed a pretty loud ticking. I took it to a mechanic for diagnosis and he tells me it's the lifters, and that I should try running some lucas oil to quiet them down. I asked him about replacing the lifters and he said it's not something he would do, because you'd probably need to replace the camshaft, at which point he would just put in a new engine. Sounds silly to me...

SOOOOOO I'm thinking of replacing the lifters and (maybe) the camshaft myself. This would definitely be the most intense thing I've ever undertaken on a vehicle. As I understand it I can replace lifters by pulling the cylinder head, removing the rockers and pushrods, and then using a special tool to yank out the lifters. Have any of you ever changed lifters? Does that sound about right? I think the cam shaft will be quite a bit trickier, anything I need to know besides what the FSM will tell me? If I'm taking off the cylinder head I'll need to use new gaskets when I put it back on right?

Thanks as always for your help folks :D

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 28, 2012

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Astonishing Wang posted:

Thanks for this - Unfortunately this has become the lesser of my concerns :(

2 days ago I noticed a pretty loud ticking. I took it to a mechanic for diagnosis and he tells me it's the lifters, and that I should try running some lucas oil to quiet them down. I asked him about replacing the lifters and he said it's not something he would do, because you'd probably need to replace the camshaft, at which point he would just put in a new engine. Sounds silly to me...

SOOOOOO I'm thinking of replacing the lifters and (maybe) the camshaft myself. This would definitely be the most intense thing I've ever undertaken on a vehicle. As I understand it I can replace lifters by pulling the cylinder head, removing the rockers and pushrods, and then using a special tool to yank out the lifters. Have any of you ever changed lifters? Does that sound about right? I think the cam shaft will be quite a bit trickier, anything I need to know besides what the FSM will tell me? If I'm taking off the cylinder head I'll need to use new gaskets when I put it back on right?

Thanks as always for your help folks :D

That is a giant undertaking if you've never done anything like it before. I'm not saying that you shouldn't, just be prepared. To do the camshaft, you'll be disassembling a significant majority of the engine; you'll basically only be leaving the crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, and flywheel untouched. Unless it looks like it has excessive wear when you pull out the lifters, I'd leave the camshaft be, but that's your call. You might have to pull it out to inspect it, though :v:. The FSM should have the information for determining if it really is too worn to recommend reuse.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the 4.0. Have you eliminated the other common sources of ticking: exhaust cracks/leaks, camshaft position sensor, timing chain, normal 4.0 chatter?

Be sure to get a gasket kit that includes all the replacement gaskets for doing a head gasket job (it's a surprisingly large amount of gaskets and o-rings). Auto parts stores usually have them

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

EightBit posted:

I'm assuming that you're talking about the 4.0. Have you eliminated the other common sources of ticking: exhaust cracks/leaks, camshaft position sensor, timing chain, normal 4.0 chatter?

This. Make sure you don't tear the engine apart just because your mechanic thinks it's a lifter tick. I had a pretty gnarly knocking going on and it turned out to be a loose flex plate.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

EightBit posted:

That is a giant undertaking if you've never done anything like it before. I'm not saying that you shouldn't, just be prepared. To do the camshaft, you'll be disassembling a significant majority of the engine; you'll basically only be leaving the crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, and flywheel untouched. Unless it looks like it has excessive wear when you pull out the lifters, I'd leave the camshaft be, but that's your call. You might have to pull it out to inspect it, though :v:. The FSM should have the information for determining if it really is too worn to recommend reuse.

Be sure to get a gasket kit that includes all the replacement gaskets for doing a head gasket job (it's a surprisingly large amount of gaskets and o-rings). Auto parts stores usually have them

rally posted:

This. Make sure you don't tear the engine apart just because your mechanic thinks it's a lifter tick. I had a pretty gnarly knocking going on and it turned out to be a loose flex plate.

Duh, sorry. It's a 2002 wrangler sport, 4.0, standard transmission.

I'm going to do an oil change and use a bottle of Marvel Mystery oil as soon as I'm able to get some garage time. It has a new exhaust manifold. Not sure about the cam shaft position sensor or timing chain, but it's definitely too loud to be called 'just a jeep thing.' I'll look in to a better diagnosis before I try to remove my engine with some rafters and a piece of climbing rope.

The jeep is running perfectly :shobon:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Astonishing Wang posted:

Duh, sorry. It's a 2002 wrangler sport, 4.0, standard transmission.

I'm going to do an oil change and use a bottle of Marvel Mystery oil as soon as I'm able to get some garage time. It has a new exhaust manifold. Not sure about the cam shaft position sensor or timing chain, but it's definitely too loud to be called 'just a jeep thing.' I'll look in to a better diagnosis before I try to remove my engine with some rafters and a piece of climbing rope.

The jeep is running perfectly :shobon:

You can check the camshaft position sensor by putting a finger on it while the ticking is occurring. You can check the timing chain, I think, with careful use of an automotive stethoscope. In fact, you should do that to determine if it is a lifter too.

freestyl
Oct 21, 2006

1-31-07 NEVER FORGET
Does anyone here have an XJ and a kid in a booster seat in the rear? What do you do about the belts not locking?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

freestyl posted:

Does anyone here have an XJ and a kid in a booster seat in the rear? What do you do about the belts not locking?

:stare: What do you mean by belts not locking?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
Talk of fixing lifter tick on the 4.0? What alternate reality have I crossed into?

freestyl posted:

Unless your is of a significantly different vintage than ours was it should lock if you fully extend the belt.

It's also possible wear is an issue. I had a belt on my ZJ that quit locking manually or from inertia. Mechanism was worn out, new one was the fix.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Molten Llama posted:

Talk of fixing lifter tick on the 4.0? What alternate reality have I crossed into?
It's wicked loud :stare:

freestyl
Oct 21, 2006

1-31-07 NEVER FORGET
Well I googled the issue (if I pull on the belt it will not lock... it just has slack).

I couldn't find much info, other than people claiming the XJ did not have locking belts. It doesn't make sense to me either.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Astonishing Wang posted:

It's wicked loud :stare:

Have you had any work done on the lifters/head in the past? I had some loud tick after replacing the head on my Cherokee, and it was caused cause one of the rocker arms wasn't tightened down properly. It might be worth it to inspect that before tearing everything apart.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

Have you had any work done on the lifters/head in the past? I had some loud tick after replacing the head on my Cherokee, and it was caused cause one of the rocker arms wasn't tightened down properly. It might be worth it to inspect that before tearing everything apart.

I think it had the head replaced a while before I got it. I've had it for a few months. I'm taking it in to the shop this weekend, dude quoted me ~$200 to replace the lifters, and said he'd inspect the camshaft to see how it looks. The mechanic that diagnosed it as lifter noise took off the valve cover and said the rockers all look good. The ticking just started out of nowhere 3 days ago.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

MPG report
18.5 MPG w/31" mud tires
4.0 TJ, 5-speed

:smug:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

piss boner posted:

MPG report
18.5 MPG w/31" mud tires
4.0 TJ, 5-speed

I took a trip to Corpus Christi two weekends ago and averaged 18mpg with 33" Goodyear Duratracs. I did button the top up fully and run the a/c on the highway though. 2000 TJ 4.0, NV3550

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

piss boner posted:

MPG report
18.5 MPG w/31" mud tires
4.0 TJ, 5-speed

I'm interested in seeing how my fuel economy changes after I plug in my 4.0L

Adbot