Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm getting a replacement GNex today, and am thinking of running a non-stock ICS ROM on it. Is there anything like super-stock that isn't stupid, buggy, or ugly worth running? Paranoid Android? CM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

I'm getting a replacement GNex today, and am thinking of running a non-stock ICS ROM on it. Is there anything like super-stock that isn't stupid, buggy, or ugly worth running? Paranoid Android? CM?

Why would you run ICS?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

ShaneB posted:

Bugless Beast by peter alfonso, whether you choose to go ICS or JB, links to both are on the same page.

http://download.peteralfonso.com/toro/rom

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tunga posted:

Why would you run ICS?

Oh sorry, forgot it got renamed with the new version.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

On CM, when my car connects to my phone to stream over bluetooth, Apollo (the music app) starts playing automatically. I don't want it to do this! I can't figure out how to change that. Any tip/tricks?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
So far I've really liked Codename Android's ROM. Looks stock, but you get all the functionality of CM10 and some other mods.

Just be sure to flash another kernel once you get it installed. The kernel that comes with CNA has an overclocked GPU and it can cause problems. Some people have reported pixilation and other problems until they flashed a kernel that had stock GPU freq.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

ShaneB posted:

I was in the same boat. Received a gnex back from repair and they already wiped it so I said gently caress it and put CM10 on it. I have not come across any issues with it.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

deong posted:

I was in the same boat. Received a gnex back from repair and they already wiped it so I said gently caress it and put CM10 on it. I have not come across any issues with it.

Yeah, I just updated to CM10 as well. Buttery smooth and identical to stock with your nicely add CM features (aka not bloatware) like T9 dialer, notification bar power widget, tether, etc etc. It's only in nightly form now but everything is functional.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Install Gentoo posted:

This doesn't work, the phone still demands a factory reset to remove the account.

Yeah I tried this but then the Google Apps refuse to install even if I go back and reflash the gapps zip and sign in their account; so it's stuck without Play Store or Maps when doing this.

What do you mean by "refuse to install" ? What error does it give?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I have a rooted tmobile galaxy s3, what is the easiest way to unlock it for use on other networks? I was checking out the qcom toolkit v2.3 thread on XDA and they say it is not possible yet. Is it really not possible to unlock any gsm galaxy s3?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

madkapitolist posted:

I have a rooted tmobile galaxy s3, what is the easiest way to unlock it for use on other networks? I was checking out the qcom toolkit v2.3 thread on XDA and they say it is not possible yet. Is it really not possible to unlock any gsm galaxy s3?
Ask T-Mobile to unlock it? They usually will if you've been a customer in good standing for a while and haven't unlocked a device recently.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nimper posted:

What do you mean by "refuse to install" ? What error does it give?

They don't show up as they usually would, and attempting to install the vending.apk and such just results in apps that crash before you can use them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

poo poo with this phone.
How did you set it up the first time if it won't boot up without the app?

Insert the apk for the underclocker and remove the apk for the first boot walkthrough in /system/app from the CM zip. Then wipe, flash, boot the phone, and run the app.

If it's rebooting that fast though how is the governor even letting it boot up? Rebuilding the Dalvik alone should be enough to tax it to the point of rebooting if it's that hosed up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Actually I think the option went away in favor of the setting being hardcoded. That is, multipart SMSes can be used on devices that support them, or the Messaging app will split messages automatically before sending them. The problem is that the configuration defaults to "multipart works!" when it really wasn't.

In short, even if you don't see a configuration option for it, it should "just work" in the next nightly.

You totally called this, it's working fine with the newest version and the split message counter option is back in the options. The last nightly was really stable, I'm pretty impressed with this rom.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
Jesus, I finally gave up with this "crash on copy" horse poo poo that has seemingly developed on my (and others according to Google) S3 and rooted to fix it. The phone would literally just lock up for about a minute the second I tried to copy something, anything. It would eventually spring back to life just like it came out of a fresh reboot. As a bonus, any program that tried to access the clipboard would just insta-hang the phone until it recovered.

Try to share dropbox link? gently caress you.
Copy some text? Nope.
ANYTHING??? :byewhore:

The only other way to fix it apparently is a factory reset. Somewhat to my surprise, rooting it took about 2 minutes and all and was as simple as pressing '1' on my computer keyboard then enter a few times. Immediately after I downloaded Root Browser Lite, nuked the system clipboard folder, restarted, and holy gently caress I CAN COPY AGAIN without crashing the phone.

:wtf:

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

slovach posted:

Jesus, I finally gave up with this "crash on copy" horse poo poo that has seemingly developed on my (and others according to Google) S3 and rooted to fix it. The phone would literally just lock up for about a minute the second I tried to copy something, anything. It would eventually spring back to life just like it came out of a fresh reboot. As a bonus, any program that tried to access the clipboard would just insta-hang the phone until it recovered.

Try to share dropbox link? gently caress you.
Copy some text? Nope.
ANYTHING??? :byewhore:

The only other way to fix it apparently is a factory reset. Somewhat to my surprise, rooting it took about 2 minutes and all and was as simple as pressing '1' on my computer keyboard then enter a few times. Immediately after I downloaded Root Browser Lite, nuked the system clipboard folder, restarted, and holy gently caress I CAN COPY AGAIN without crashing the phone.

:wtf:

Whoa, I've had this exact issue and not been able to search for an answer. How did you solve it, exactly?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
1. boot recovery > advanced > wipe cache
2. reboot phone > File Explorer > delete /data/clipbord/*
3. reboot recovery again > advanced > fix permissions
4. reboot phone > it's fine

Haven't had an issue with it lately, so wonder if one of the newer OTA update managed to fix it, but we'll see.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

1. boot recovery > advanced > wipe cache
2. reboot phone > File Explorer > delete /data/clipbord/*
3. reboot recovery again > advanced > fix permissions
4. reboot phone > it's fine

Haven't had an issue with it lately, so wonder if one of the newer OTA update managed to fix it, but we'll see.
:lol: Samsunged again.

Don't ever change, Samsung... :allears:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

They're different this time man, they're not gonna hit me again...

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Wrist Watch posted:

Apparently I wasn't allowed to factory reset my sprint epic 4g touch because it could brick the device or something, so after a little while trying to figure out just what the flying gently caress xda is telling me I'm now rooted.

Anyway long story short I figured I might as well try cyanogenmod since I've read about it before and I'm rooted now, and apparently CM9 alpha 6 is the latest stable version. Or something. At least I think so? This is what I've been led to so far, can I just follow the "Complete install directions" section or is there something else better or what? And what the gently caress is a nightly?

Basically I have no idea what I'm doing at all so please keep that in mind if you explain. I just wanna play around with my phone.

help I tried to follow the instructions but #12 doesn't actually explain how to do anything and trying to keep going (I didn't see any option to go wipe some "Dalvik Cache" and then my android dude dies with a red triangle

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

New phone unlocked, rooted (thank goodness I had already had the drivers set up on my PC, that's a pain), CM10 flashed, apps installed, nandroid made, all within an hour or so. CM10 seems like a real stable OS rather than anything I'd call a "nightly", so that's impressive.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LastInLine posted:

How did you set it up the first time if it won't boot up without the app?

Insert the apk for the underclocker and remove the apk for the first boot walkthrough in /system/app from the CM zip. Then wipe, flash, boot the phone, and run the app.

If it's rebooting that fast though how is the governor even letting it boot up? Rebuilding the Dalvik alone should be enough to tax it to the point of rebooting if it's that hosed up.

Well the first time I set it up was about 2 or 3 years ago when I got that phone, and it hadn't yet suffered whatever damage it was that caused it to bug out like this!

I switched up to an Inspire 4G at the beginning of last year. Since then I'd been using this Desire just as a second Android thing to do this and that with. A few months ago it started occasionally heating up a lot and then resetting, so I clocked it down to 800 mhz or so and that stopped that completely. Until my friend lost their phone and I decided to give the Desire to them, and ended up finding out that now instead of being usable for hours without being underclocked, now it'd only last a few minutes tops.

Incidentally, it never seems to get too hot and then reboot while the phone is in recovery, or at the Cyanogenmod 7 logo animation, it only happens while it's fully booted into the Android environment. So basically something bizarre is happening with it causing some kind of thermal event and I don't know what it could be. The phone's also probably out of whatever warranty it had for sure, since I bought it used from a guy in Canada who had been using it a while before selling it to me, and since I already have my own perfectly working phone I'm not going to shell out to HTC to fix this one in a more permanent way.

Anyway I'll try inserting the APK and all and see if that works. It's just a shame that there's no way to remove the first account without wiping everything! You'd think that should be possible honestly.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Install Gentoo posted:

Well the first time I set it up was about 2 or 3 years ago when I got that phone, and it hadn't yet suffered whatever damage it was that caused it to bug out like this!

Like someone mentioned earlier, try putting it in the freezer. Or doing it while in a walk-in freezer. Maybe make sure you open the phone up as much as possible...like taking the battery cover off. Do it in front of a fan.

Basically keep it cool as possible.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thermopyle posted:

Like someone mentioned earlier, try putting it in the freezer. Or doing it while in a walk-in freezer. Maybe make sure you open the phone up as much as possible...like taking the battery cover off. Do it in front of a fan.

Basically keep it cool as possible.

I tried this, but it still crashes anyway, and doesn't even last longer. I really don't know what's causing the phone to freak out when not underclocked, I just know that it'll heat up drastically just as it's about to crash and reset. Perhaps I just need to wait for winter, as just doing the freezer thing doesn't seem to cut it.

I'd have tossed it already if it wasn't stable when underclocked, and my friend didn't need a loaner phone for the moment.

Edit: Perhaps it's cursed? Or haunted? :iiam:

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 30, 2012

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Trying to get 4.1 on my rooted, stock rom GNEX. I'm poo poo at this rooting business so I can't even get the simplest poo poo to work.

So here's the steps I need to take:

AC posted:

1. Go completely back to stock 4.0.4/IMM76K by using either Wug's Toolkit or my Return to Stock guide.
2. Unlock the device (if you relocked it) and install a custom recovery--either ClockworkMod or TWRP.
3. Flash the IMM76Q package using the custom recovery.
4. Flash the JRO03O update using the custom recovery.

1. I'm already on this image
2. Device is unlocked, clockworkmod is installed
3. Ok, how? I have the <long rear end name here>.zip on my SD root. Now what? Rename it to update.zip? Go into fastboot? I DON'T loving KNOW
4. Ditto.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

dreesemonkey posted:

Trying to get 4.1 on my rooted, stock rom GNEX. I'm poo poo at this rooting business so I can't even get the simplest poo poo to work.

So here's the steps I need to take:

1. I'm already on this image
2. Device is unlocked, clockworkmod is installed
3. Ok, how? I have the <long rear end name here>.zip on my SD root. Now what? Rename it to update.zip? Go into fastboot? I DON'T loving KNOW
4. Ditto.

If you've got the right whatever.zip; CWM will have an option to select from SD card. Pick the zip from there and it will flash away. Make a nandroid (CWM backup) before you do that.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Ahhh, I'm stupid (obviously). I was getting fastboot mixed up with the clockwork mod. I didn't realize I still had to use the nexus toolkit to them boot into cwm.

Trying it now.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

clamiam45 posted:

Whoa, I've had this exact issue and not been able to search for an answer. How did you solve it, exactly?

I found a different way than what's posted here.

1. Get Root Browser Lite
2. Delete everything in the data\clipboard folder
3. Go to your application list -> All -> find 'Test Service' and clear it's data

Reboot and it's fixed, no CWM required.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wrist Watch posted:

help I tried to follow the instructions but #12 doesn't actually explain how to do anything and trying to keep going (I didn't see any option to go wipe some "Dalvik Cache" and then my android dude dies with a red triangle
You don't have a custom recovery installed, the red triangle over the horizontal android is the stock recovery and it can't do what you need.

slovach posted:

1. Get Root Browser Lite
3. Go to your application list -> All -> find 'Test Service' and clear it's data

"Fixing permissions" is the xda equivalent to using prayer to cure illness. Sometimes you do need to do it but not nearly as often as they suggest.

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
Drinking, Driving, Thinking of You
I currently own an LG Thrill 4G (LGP925) and am using the official Gingerbread release with the Thrill Seeker v2.0 ROM and v20p software version. I would like to update to a newer version of the software that will hopefully give me better performance while still allowing me to root my phone. Also when doing so I am wondering which ROMs I should consider using.

I have not been keeping up with the community so I am totally lost right now. I see that there is a v3.# release for Thrill Seeker right now. Also there is a v21e software version available. I just don't know if I should use v21e, stick with v20p, or use something else even. A friend of mine swears by the CM7 Nightly builds, but I do understand that if I use that with my phone I will lose the HDMI (which I have never used) and the 3D (which I only use from time to time but do enjoy).

Any recommendations? Also right now I am in the middle of making a backup so I am ready to wipe my phone of any junk that could be on it. Thanks for any help!

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

slovach posted:

1. Get Root Browser Lite

Thanks, I'm new to rooting my phone and so I'm trying to learn as many of the methods like this as I can. Root Browser Lite isn't actually opening any folders for me, despite having permissions, so I'll keep working on it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

slovach posted:

The phone would literally just lock up for about a minute the second I tried to copy something, anything.
TouchWiz implements a persistent clipboard with history. So if you get something copied into the clipboard that makes it unhappy, subsequent clipboard operations will fail. Since it's persistent, it'll fail after a reboot too.

lovely situation. There needs to be a "clear clipboard" option in the Settings menu or something to clear it out should that kind of thing happen, although it probably shouldn't happen in the first place. But I give them some credit for trying to implement a useful feature.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

LastInLine posted:

You don't have a custom recovery installed, the red triangle over the horizontal android is the stock recovery and it can't do what you need.
"Fixing permissions" is the xda equivalent to using prayer to cure illness. Sometimes you do need to do it but not nearly as often as they suggest.

I figured as much.

So since the directions on the page I was following there are incorrect (well, not so much as incorrect as a key step not actually explaining anything at all), I guess I should follow this if I want to keep going? So if I understand correctly, I need to use Mobile Odin to flash CWM5 so I can use that to wipe my data/cache and then flash CM9 and Gapps. And after that I should have everything set and never have to deal with this again?

Sorry if this is all obvious, I just want to make extra sure I don't gently caress everything up.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wrist Watch posted:

I figured as much.

So since the directions on the page I was following there are incorrect (well, not so much as incorrect as a key step not actually explaining anything at all), I guess I should follow this if I want to keep going? So if I understand correctly, I need to use Mobile Odin to flash CWM5 so I can use that to wipe my data/cache and then flash CM9 and Gapps. And after that I should have everything set and never have to deal with this again?

Sorry if this is all obvious, I just want to make extra sure I don't gently caress everything up.
I'm sorry, I only have experience with Nexus phones where you type one line in to flash any recovery you want, I have no idea what it's like on other things.

If you're dealing with custom ROMs though you'll very much have to deal with stuff like this again. Again and again and again and again. That's what the custom ROM scene is all about, doing poo poo like this over and over and over hoping this feature won't be broken tonight or that bug finally got fixed or maybe this mod will fill that hole in your consumerist soul but like a good heroin addiction you'll get close but never quite catch that dragon.

But sure that guide seems reasonable as any. I was looking to see if there's a build of CWR6 for the Epic 4G Touch but I couldn't find one. A shame because it's a lot nicer than CWR5 for multiple backups.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wrist Watch posted:

and apparently CM9 alpha 6 is the latest stable version.
Looks so.

Wrist Watch posted:

can I just follow the "Complete install directions" section or is there something else better or what?
Yes.

Wrist Watch posted:

And what the gently caress is a nightly?
It's a daily (but called nightly) build of a ROM from source code, including all source changes that had been committed in the past day.

Since nightly builds are generated automatically, they're not necessarily tested and occasionally a patch makes it through that inadvertently breaks some feature on the device. People complain about it, it gets fixed, and the next nightly will incorporate that fix (along with another bug).

Stable or snapshot builds (at least, in CM terminology) are those that are released after a testing period and so, shouldn't contain any obvious undocumented bugs.

Wrist Watch posted:

And after that I should have everything set and never have to deal with this again?
Once CM9 is installed, you can update to a new version by downloading the zip to the internal SD card, rebooting into recovery (which is an option in the power menu), applying it, and rebooting again. Occasionally gapps are updated, and if they are you can flash that too.

Otherwise you don't have to mess with mobile Odin or the other crap again, no.

LastInLine posted:

I was looking to see if there's a build of CWR6 for the Epic 4G Touch but I couldn't find one.
The E4GT has only a single kernel partition that's used for both boot and recovery. So the actual recovery version once CM9 is installed is whichever version was built from CM9 sources.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
So for you owners with a Desire HD that are pissed off about a "certain situation", be on the look out for something official. I'm sorry for being vague. :|

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Any news is good news regarding that particular situation.

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
Drinking, Driving, Thinking of You
I downloaded a v21e kdz file earlier this evening and have had zero success in figuring out a way to install it onto my LG Thrill 4G. I am soooo frustrated right now and really could use some help. PLEASE!!!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

G-Philez posted:

I downloaded a v21e kdz file earlier this evening and have had zero success in figuring out a way to install it onto my LG Thrill 4G. I am soooo frustrated right now and really could use some help. PLEASE!!!
There's a lot of hate for LG around these parts so most of us probably don't have any idea what you need to do.

The best modification I made to my wife's G2x was changing the ownership from her to some guy on Craigslist for a $200 loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do I delete or block these OTA updates?

I downloaded some update on my carrier that will gently caress up root/wallet if I install it on my sgs3, and I want it to stop asking me.