Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

You mean steal dat dawg... :colbert:

Yeah, if we end up going with Pam, there are so many people we'd have to see on the way, hahaha. She has a b&t girl right now, but she's a woolie and we're not really wanting a long haired one. (so someone from PI needs to get her and spam pics all over the place omg)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttes McDuff
Dec 4, 2004

Scottish Buttesman
Curious to hear thoughts from owners (I'm getting a Kai Ken but I suppose its a general puppy buying questions). The breeder I'm on a list with said they had a litter due in the last couple of weeks based on speaking with him. No word since, but I guess in a moment of boredom I looked them up on Facebook and there were pictures of a new litter of pups posted not too long ago. Is it overly pushy of me to check in again? I'm not sure what the typical turn around is on list notification after puppies have been born but its driving me nuts!

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
The gently caress is a Kai Ken.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Kerfuffle posted:

The gently caress is a Kai Ken.

Another type of Japanese spitz dog. Brindle. Adorable. Pam had a returned dog as an adult rescue a few months ago :3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai_Ken

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

TVs Ian posted:

Another type of Japanese spitz dog. Brindle. Adorable. Pam had a returned dog as an adult rescue a few months ago :3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kai_Ken

Dat brindle is cute. :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Buttes McDuff posted:

Curious to hear thoughts from owners (I'm getting a Kai Ken but I suppose its a general puppy buying questions). The breeder I'm on a list with said they had a litter due in the last couple of weeks based on speaking with him. No word since, but I guess in a moment of boredom I looked them up on Facebook and there were pictures of a new litter of pups posted not too long ago. Is it overly pushy of me to check in again? I'm not sure what the typical turn around is on list notification after puppies have been born but its driving me nuts!

I don't think it's out of line to call and check in since he said he had a litter due soon, though I'm not sure how many pups he had vs how many may have been in his waiting list. Good luck, though! I love Kai, they are gorgeous and I'd love to have one to hunt with. :3:

Ashamee
Jan 12, 2012
Hey, guys, I could use some suggestions.

Aggro is mostly a good boy, but he likes comforters. He ate my fluffy microfiber one, so I bought another last week. We had our backs turned for ten minutes, and thought we had the door shut, and he must have gotten in there and chewed that one up, too, because now there are holes in it. I'm devastated, because I can't keep buying comforters every few weeks.

I'm going to buy some fabric glue and attempt to salvage it tomorrow, but I am just so upset, that I don't know if I want to keep Aggro if he's going to continue to eat my bedding. My husband read that Malamutes and Huskies grow out of eating household objects at about a year old? Any truth to this? I'll give him one more chance if I can find a behaviorist or something. He has plenty of toys, goes outside constantly and runs around with Kiba and gets lots of attention. I feel so guilty.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I think you really need a 3 pronged attack, here:

1) Manage the situation as best you can by keeping him out of the room and away from anything comforter related (this includes things that can be mistaken for comforters, like how a paper trained dog might pee on a magazine on the floor). Sounds like you're already working on this! You might also want to switch back to an old comforter while you're working on the training, no use spending all the money those drat things cost while you're still working out kinks.

2) Find a good substitute for the chewing. Different dogs get chewing satisfaction from all sorts of materials. Maybe something like a felt rope toy, or soft toys with stuffing in them. You'll probably go through a lot because I'm guessing the thing he likes is shredding it, but it'll be worth it to keep him from YOUR stuff.

3) Teach him that he'll be rewarded for not chewing your blankets and choosing something else instead.

This last part is where the actual training comes in. You'll want to work with the comforter, so you can do the training in your bedroom. How is Aggro with body blocking and cues to stop something, like a sharp "AHT!"? You're REALLY going to want to be able to grab his attention and distract him for this exercise. I normally wouldn't even ask, but with his supposed wolf heritage, it's possible he doesn't have as much of the instinct to follow human direction as other dogs do. Just make sure you know you can distract him before working with your actual comforter (previously knowing a "Leave It" command is a plus), it would really suck to be working on his training and have him go right for it!

Anyway, I'd approach it like you would train a dog to ignore a cat, only it should be much easier. ;) Arm yourself with some really high value treats and some good, soft toys. Head in the bedroom and wait for Aggro to head towards the comforter. In the beginning, you might want to wait until he actually touches it, or put the comforter on the floor, so he's sure to associate the training with the blanket as opposed to your bed entirely. That way, later on he won't go, "Oh, blanket's on the floor now? FAIR GAME! :ninja: " Once he heads towards it, make a sharp noise to get his attention and walk in and block his approach if need be. The SECOND his focus is off the blanket and on to you, treat like MAD and redirect him to his toys. Once he's happily playing with something else, just hang out and wait for it to happen again, and repeat the process. You want him to get to the point where you'll see him WANT to go over there, but make the decision on his own to look to you instead. You want him to know that as fun as that comforter is, going to you is WAY better.

Once he starts to understand, you can pair it with a "Leave It" command (if he doesn't already know one). Say "Leave It" while you're redirecting him, and work it into your praise, "Good Leave It!! Good Boy!!" etc. You can see if you can work that command into stopping him before you have to use body blocking to get his attention. Ideally you want him to stop on his own, but using the command is a good stepping stone.

Also know that it's quite possible Aggro WON'T completely grow out of this chewing. Primitive Breed dogs are sneaky little assholes, and while other dogs might be perfectly fine not going near the comforter once they learn they aren't supposed to, Aggro might just be the type to wait for you to leave and head right towards it. In the same vein that my cat is always locked away from my dog when we're gone, make sure you have your bedroom safely closed up, too! If you know where your dog is at all times while you're home (tether him if need be) and lock him away from anything blanket-related when you can't directly supervise, then you shouldn't have a problem, even if you have a hard time actually redirecting the behavior.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Whoooo waaaaants an Akita?

Training is sleepy work.

Good thing I'm so cute!

Lucy and Neige are...not the greatest of chums yet. Lucy has a playing style (and since she's a puppy, a lack of finesse) that Neige isn't so very fond of, and since Neige is a corgi and not an uber-sophisticated primitive dog with a billion body language cues, her "no thanks I'm done" signals look a lot like "rar bitey face let's play!" They do best in short sessions with lots of room to maneuver, then plenty of breaks when things get a little snotty. She sleeps in her crate quietly though, so thank goodness for small miracles. Also learned "down" pretty quick, and her "leave it" is already getting better.

Yeah, there was a reason I picked the breed I did to own. No offense primitive dog lovers!

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

ButWhatIf posted:

Training is sleepy work.

Good thing I'm so cute!

Lucy and Neige are...not the greatest of chums yet. Lucy has a playing style (and since she's a puppy, a lack of finesse) that Neige isn't so very fond of, and since Neige is a corgi and not an uber-sophisticated primitive dog with a billion body language cues, her "no thanks I'm done" signals look a lot like "rar bitey face let's play!" They do best in short sessions with lots of room to maneuver, then plenty of breaks when things get a little snotty. She sleeps in her crate quietly though, so thank goodness for small miracles. Also learned "down" pretty quick, and her "leave it" is already getting better.

Yeah, there was a reason I picked the breed I did to own. No offense primitive dog lovers!

Oh good, now my wife wants an Akita.....

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

ButWhatIf posted:

Me! I do I do! :haw:

No offense taken, I think us prim owners understand we are a little crazy. I personally don't know how people put up with or love breeds like spaniels and schnauzers. :saddowns: They make my head hurt and I find while I can acknowledge they are a Good Dog, I just would rather not...be around you thanks.

Ashamee
Jan 12, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions, WolfensteinBag! We keep the door closed whenever we're not in our bedroom. However, my computer is now in our room, and Aggro tends to wander in when I'm in here (Can't leave my sight, or instant crying). His crate is in here, and he sleeps in it at night, and we leave the door open at all times. Any time I see him go anywhere near my bed, I tell him "AHT! No! Leave it!" and he always will go into his crate and lay down. We've not had any comforter-eating. He's been great lately, in fact. If anything, it's Kiba that needs to chill out. She pulled something in her shoulder a week or so ago, because we think she tried body-blocking him, and since he's now bigger than she is, she likely went down and hurt herself. The scream she made was atrocious.

She's on anti-inflammatories and strict rest. No rough play, no running, yet she still does both. Her limp was getting better, but as of yesterday, she overdid it, despite us telling her to chill out and stay, and now she's back to limping and still attempting to wrestle. If she's not doing better by the time the pills run out, we'll go back to the vet for some x-rays. Ahhh, dogs. :T

daishan14
Mar 6, 2004

ButWhatIf posted:

Training is sleepy work.

Good thing I'm so cute!

White Akita with a black nose? I love it! Akitas are my favorite breed, and I love mine, but they are definitely not for everyone. Probably not for most actually.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Ashamee posted:

Any time I see him go anywhere near my bed, I tell him "AHT! No! Leave it!" and he always will go into his crate and lay down.

This is great! Both in that he's getting it, and that his listening is another indicator that he's much more dog than wolf. Just remember to reward him when he's good, like when he's in the room ignoring it or choosing to chew something else. The more positive association with not chewing it (as opposed to just correction) the more likely he is to ignore it for good and not just wait for an opportunity. :)

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I already have a Kita.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

You need to post pictures of her more often.

Hij
May 29, 2005

Just read this whole thread. Love all these doggies!

I have always been very VERY much a cat person. The kind of cat person that gags at the mild dog stench in dog-owning friend's houses and daydreams about punting my grandma's annoying small yappy dog out of windows. Plus, I am a freak of nature that is totally not allergic to cats, but VERY allergic to dogs. My dad's the same way. We can barely share the same space with a dog without breaking out in hives and sneezing blood. But 6 months ago, after much research, I finally "compromised" with my boyfriend's pleas to allow us to get a dog. He grew up with dogs. Lots of them.

Please excuse my overuse of dumb filters on these images. I went from a $10 pay-as-you-go flip phone to a brand new iPhone recently and you know how that goes. You go overboard.

This is Admiral Adama, and he is the best dog ever.

I truly never thought I could like, let alone love, a dog... but as it turns out, a Basenji was just the thing. We got lucky - non-mixed Basenjis are HARD to come by in central Texas, but a young couple an hour from us had themselves some accidental puppies - something which I was very suspicious of, but after witnessing with my own eyes that the parents had both been fixed ASAP after this incident, I felt much more confident that this mistake was genuine and they weren't just backyard breeders. Adama was the last puppy they had, and the only male. His name was formed on the way home from picking him up - his totally calm, collected demeanor and wrinkly face just screamed Edward James Olmos.

These were the first pictures we got of him, the day after bringing him home.

He is BFFs with my cat, Bob. Bob is the love of my life, so this was important. They get along great, even if Adama's puppy antics occasionally annoy the middle-aged Bob.

And a few more just because.

Anyway, obviously first dog for me. He's almost 9 months old now. My allergies are great around him - he barely sheds AT ALL, cleans himself obsessively like a cat, has NO dog smell whatsoever, can't bark but makes many many other totally adorable and acceptable noises, and was pretty much just a total natural when it came to house training. He's also great with people and other animals - he was very well socialized from day one thanks to my boyfriend being able to take him to work with him to play with all his coworker's dogs. He's funny as hell, sleeps on his back jammed between either my legs or our two bodies in the bed at night, and loves nothing more than to play fetch with his stuffed leopard for as long as you will keep throwing it.

We DID have some issues with separation anxiety - crate training was a challenge but he's much better now. He's calmed down a LOT as far as how he reacts when we leave/come home. He's fairly well-behaved when it comes to destroying things - sure, he does it, he'll keep doing it, but I'm okay with that. I keep important things out of his reach and the fact that he doesn't always listen to us doesn't bother me - I was raised with cats. That's their thing. Honestly, he listens and obeys FAR more than I would have expected from the research I did. He turned out to be the perfect dog for this future crazy cat-lady.

mickeymickey
Sep 13, 2004
punch me, i'm irish
Oh man Admiral Adama is so great! Continue to post a million pictures of him, he's very handsome. I don't know anything about Basenjis- why are they so common in central Texas? Are they bred for any particular task, like hunting or something?

Also Bob's "BOB" name tag made me laugh. "What's that cat's name? Oh, it's Bob."

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

My friend got a Tamaskan husky earlier this year. It's a fairly rare breed of Northern Inuit, Utonagan, Siberian Husky, Alaskan Malamute, German Shepherd and others. Would that categorize it as a primitive breed? Wiki article.

A few pics:

One week old

Four weeks (being roughed up by his brother)

Recent:

Hij
May 29, 2005

mickeymickey posted:

Oh man Admiral Adama is so great! Continue to post a million pictures of him, he's very handsome. I don't know anything about Basenjis- why are they so common in central Texas? Are they bred for any particular task, like hunting or something?

Also Bob's "BOB" name tag made me laugh. "What's that cat's name? Oh, it's Bob."

Ah, well I think I actually said they AREN'T common here - I decided that's what I really wanted but I almost gave up looking before he turned up on a website one day. It's funny how often we get questions/comments about him when we're out and about - always either people asking us what the hell kinda dog that is, or people getting excited to see a basenji because they always wanted one but could never find one in the area. The people we got him from had actually traveled all the way to Kentucky to get his parents! There are, oddly enough, a fair few mixes that turn up in shelters, but very few purebreds. I didn't want to take a chance on a mix with my allergies (you can never be sure that the breed's hypoallergenic nature will be present in a mixed breed), so we basically got super lucky with him.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?

Hij posted:

Basenji!

Oh my god, a basenji. :swoon:

I have wanted a basenji for just about my whole life, but ultimately think they'd be a terrible fit for me. Thanks to this post, I'll be living vicariously through you. Please post lots of pictures!

Hij
May 29, 2005

Ginny Field posted:

... but ultimately think they'd be a terrible fit for me. Thanks to this post, I'll be living vicariously through you. Please post lots of pictures!

Ha, yeah they reeeeeeally are cats in dog bodies. But bigger, stronger, noisier, less lazy cats with way more destructive potential!

SatanKat
Aug 15, 2012

My Husband has already posted some photos of my dogs, but I always have many more. So now you get more photos of Keiko (Akita) and Sasuke (Shiba).

She loves her bee

Sasuke, on the other hand, maybe not so much.

Stealing my place in the bed

My husband wasn't paying attention so Sasuke gradually inched towards the sandwich and stole it (whilst I took photos rather then say anything).

Om nom nom chicken

Playing together

An Sasuke with one of our cats (they like cuddling up together when we're not looking)

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I'm sorry, I'm pretty sure that you were sold a bear, not an Akita.

SatanKat
Aug 15, 2012

Aravenna posted:

I'm sorry, I'm pretty sure that you were sold a bear, not an Akita.

A cute, cuddly teddy bear?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Lima posted:

My friend got a Tamaskan husky earlier this year. It's a fairly rare breed of Northern Inuit, Utonagan, Siberian Husky, Alaskan Malamute, German Shepherd and others. Would that categorize it as a primitive breed? Wiki article.

A few pics:

One week old

Four weeks (being roughed up by his brother)

Recent:

Either it's a mix, or it's just Tamaskan, not Tamaskan Husky. :) And yes, it is a Primitive Breed!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3344325&pagenumber=6#post382290968

Also, that bear of an Akita is killing me. :3:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Lucy has gotten so much bigger in the last two weeks, and now she and Neige get along sooooo well. This client went from nightmare to joy, and I'm so glad. But where is the photographic proof, you say? :D

She took my stick!

This is basically my favorite photo of anything ever.

Bitey-face!

Look how good we are.

I think I'm going to miss her when she goes home next week. She's learned so much and now she actually has some impulse control and social skills and a good wait and excellent greeting manners. She's a Very Good Girl. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

She's so cute! Have you met her owners? If so, do they seem like the types to keep up the training? Would be a shame if all your work went out the window. :( I couldn't have your job, I'd be too worried about stuff like that or just loving the dogs too much!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I've never really liked "little" dogs that much, but for some reason the Shiba Inu causes me to melt into a puddle of Appalachian-sounding frontiersman gibberish. Usually it never goes past the realm of saying the words "Shiba Inu!" over and over unintelligibly.

This thread has been an adorable and informative read.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

WolfensteinBag posted:

She's so cute! Have you met her owners? If so, do they seem like the types to keep up the training? Would be a shame if all your work went out the window. :( I couldn't have your job, I'd be too worried about stuff like that or just loving the dogs too much!

I have, and the owner in part called us because she wants the dog to be a hospital therapy dog. Lucy was bought for the family by a friend because they wanted to give a puppy to the owner's little girl, who had leukemia. (:wtc:) Unfortunately, the little girl passed away about a week ago, so now the family has decided that the dog will give comfort to lots of terminally ill children since she can't be with the little girl. It's a completely heart-wrenching story all around, and I've done a lot of tearing up thinking about how Lucy will go home and her little girl won't be there to greet her... Lucy really is the right temperament to be a therapy dog. She's very chill, very affectionate, and she's got an excellent "settle." She took to clicker training like a fish to water, and since she spent the first few weeks at home going to and from the hospital, she's already very well socialized. I think Lucy and her family are going to do well together, and it's good for them to have a living, breathing, very fluffy reminder of their daughter, who was taken from them at 6 years old.

And now if you'll excuse me, there is some dust in my eye... :cry:

Two lovely doggies.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
This video was on my facebook feed today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG8njOXLza8

It's a video of a Shiba doing an interpretive dance to express his hatred of his new boots. (Note: The boots are apparently because he had stitches on his feet after a cut, not just for adorable humiliation)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

The best part wasn't even the boots, it was the dog chomping the treats right at the camera. :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

WolfensteinBag posted:

The best part wasn't even the boots, it was the dog chomping the treats right at the camera. :3:

Yeah this. Want that dog.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I admit I watched this without the cochlear implant on so I couldn't hear all the fussing, but to me the best part was the other shiba just plain not giving a gently caress about the others plight. :allears:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

It's bath day!

Followed by a frozen peanut butter/kibble filled Kong!

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

I have not photo dumped lately. So have some pictures!

Sitka is a pretty, pretty princess

Her bff is a rottie

They are stupid cute together

The day after Midori (the rottie) comes to visit is the best & the cats agree

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

She really is lovely, Citizen Rat. Since Nori is determined to be a runty runt forever, my wife keeps thinking maaaaaaybe a Mal one day but then no....

Lookit dis face though

It was very cute to watch him move incrementally lower in to a 'down' for his dinner today each time my wife said 'All the way, buddy'. They really do have the gears turning all the time :3:

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

TVs Ian posted:

It was very cute to watch him move incrementally lower in to a 'down' for his dinner today each time my wife said 'All the way, buddy'. They really do have the gears turning all the time :3:

Yeah. They are always looking for that one inch they can turn into a mile.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I want to squash Nikita and Sitka and Nori.

Recently I taught Quaffle "shake hands". Now he will sit in front of me and offer first one paw, then the other, back and forth, so I will scratch his chest. I only taught him with one paw, but I guess he managed to generalize to the other? Maybe I can work this into a dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

TVs Ian posted:

Ha! That's too funny because Buddy actually knows "All the Way" as his command for, "You're doing the right thing, just not well enough." :haw: It also came about from not laying down all the way at dinner time.

Aravenna posted:

Recently I taught Quaffle "shake hands". Now he will sit in front of me and offer first one paw, then the other, back and forth, so I will scratch his chest. I only taught him with one paw, but I guess he managed to generalize to the other? Maybe I can work this into a dance.

My in-laws' golden does this. :3: Being the people pleasers goldens are, you can tell he thought, "They must really love getting paws, I WILL GIVE THEM ALL THE PAWS!" and you sit and rub his belly for hours if he has any say. He gets the HAPPIEST look on his face, too. :3:

Speaking of photo dumps, whenever I get a chance to throw a bunch of pictures together, I have some really great ones of Buddy for you guys.

• Locked thread