Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I decide to pop back in after 1000 posts and find a rare gem: A post that proves itself.

Did you want a cookie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

What kind of cookie?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

What kind of cookie?

Marijuana. With a side of milk of the poppy.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

Shageletic posted:

Did you cackle like a clown this is important

When I realized what I was doing I worked a high pitched ee-hee into it.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
a nasally, squeaky pedophile ee-hee that terminated in a session of labored breathing?

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

My breathing is always labored, for I am great with wisdom.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Azure_Horizon posted:

Marijuana. With a side of milk of the poppy.

I NEED AN ADULT!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

I NEED AN ADULT!

Screaming only makes Uncle GRRMie's peepee poopier.

:unsmigghh:

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Screaming only makes Uncle GRRMie's peepee poopier.

:unsmigghh:

Funny enough, that's exactly how he produces his "milk of poppy".

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Thulsa Doom posted:

I was substitute teaching today

Whoa whoa whoa, aren't you legally obligated to disclose your posting in this thread to your employer if you work around minors? Jesus, dude. :psyduck:

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Who said they were paying me?

I thought it was obvious from all those bullshit posts about musketry and medieval crap I keep making that I must be some kind of educator.

Thulsa Doom fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 28, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Eh, we've got whowhatwhere to copypaste from wikipedia, it's the internets.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

If it's any consolation I only do it for money and dream of escaping to whore and drink myself into an early grave.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

bigmcgaffney posted:

LOTR did that.too.

Oh I agree. I get shivers every time I Read this:

“And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.”

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

kcroy posted:

Oh I agree. I get shivers every time I Read this:

“And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined.”

Let me tell you about how Sauron is actually only a lieutenant of the Dark Lord and pales in comparison to He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named so our heroes are actually bitches who almost lost to a big loving eyeball who is just screwing around until his boss comes back and makes him commit REAL atrocities (Sacking Nargothrond and Gondolin, for an example) and shoot fantasy ICBMs across the sea at America

:goonsay:

And Turin Turambar was so nihilistically tragic, he either accidentally murdered or caused the suicide of everyone he ever made contact with, what a Dick

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bigmcgaffney posted:

Let me tell you about how Sauron is actually only a lieutenant of the Dark Lord and pales in comparison to He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named so our heroes are actually bitches who almost lost to a big loving eyeball who is just screwing around until his boss comes back and makes him commit REAL atrocities (Sacking Nargothrond and Gondolin, for an example) and shoot fantasy ICBMs across the sea at America

:goonsay:

And Turin Turambar was so nihilistically tragic, he either accidentally murdered or caused the suicide of everyone he ever made contact with, what a Dick

I just remember Sauron shapeshifting into a giant werewolf, then getting his rear end kicked by a magical speaking dog. Sauron was a pussy.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Sauron is Oliva Newton-John's character from Grease. He puts on a big show towards the end of being some snarling badass, but he's still poodle-skirt-wearing Saury Dee.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Sauron's entire motivation is that he was pissed off because he wasn't allowed to be pretty anymore. Also the Numenoreans were morons. Lord of Gifts? Really? That sounds legit, let's do what he says.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Thornghost, as much as I am enjoying this project, you should switch me out with someone to write chapter 18. I'd still like to contribute to the project in some way, but I don't think I've got the mental fortitude required to write a game of bones right now and I don't want Game of Bones to be half-assed, dammit!

Email me at contralculus@gmail.com if you can think of anything I could do to help or contribute in some way.

Also, to the rest of you absolute fuckers: I've been thinking about making a Wild Cards GW2 guild with a few of the fuckers I talk with on IRC. If you're interested just shoot me an email, a PM, or get on IRC. Again, to chat with some godawful people on IRC, our channel is #thebadthread on synirc.net. Once there, we can all talk about how much we hate A Dance with Dragons while we're killing dragons or whatever.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Someone step into the breach.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Has the series ever made reference to the days being longer/shorter during the summer/winter, or does the temperature just change?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The only reference I can recall is Old Nan's story including people being born and dying without ever seeing the sun.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

The issues regarding winter are probably one of the reasons why Martin stalled after building up such a head of stem with the first three books. If the nights get longer, even if they never reach depth-of-winter levels where you have about eight hours of sunlight, it would completely kill all plant life in Westeros. If "winter" was just a quasi ice age with short growing seasons and more severe winter weather it would be plausible but full dark for an entire human lifetime would basically drive the continent/planet into extinction.

Martin has no sense of scale.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

Contra Calculus posted:

Thornghost, as much as I am enjoying this project, you should switch me out with someone to write chapter 18. I'd still like to contribute to the project in some way, but I don't think I've got the mental fortitude required to write a game of bones right now and I don't want Game of Bones to be half-assed, dammit!

Email me at contralculus@gmail.com if you can think of anything I could do to help or contribute in some way.

I'll take you off of the list, but I'll need you to start contacting podcasts to line up interviews for yourself so you can start going on them and promoting Game of Bones. For this purpose, you can play Game of Bones author T. B. Thread.

Feel free to say whatever comes to mind about any question just as long as you promote AGoB.

Also, a very special character has been added to the summary of chapter 18.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Urdnot Fire posted:

The only reference I can recall is Old Nan's story including people being born and dying without ever seeing the sun.

I suppose you can say it wasn't winter itself but a large volcano eruption that filled the atmosphere with ash for a few years or maybe those stories are just bullshit.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

eXXon posted:

I suppose you can say it wasn't winter itself but a large volcano eruption that filled the atmosphere with ash for a few years or maybe those stories are just bullshit.

GRRM has said more than once that there is no scientific explanation, i.e. volcanism or an erratic orbit or a rogue star or something, for the weird seasons. It's magic, and it shares a common origin with the Others and possibly the dragons.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Sometimes magic... is just magic!

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Martin's "system" of magic (if you can even call it that) falls very much on the Tolkien less is more side, so people who are expecting detailed explanations of why the seasons are borked or why frozen zombie people are walking around are going to be disappointed.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
I don't really care if an author never explains why something happens (I'm not so much into sci fi), but it does bother me when taking "okay, but assuming this does happen, how does the world cope with it" leads to the conclusion of "it can't". At that point, more information is needed or your constructed world falls apart.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

I'm fine with the magic never being explained, but I would like to know how a continent full of human beings with primitive technology can survive with ten years in total darkness, much less a full generation. That would be impossible for modern society, even.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Thulsa Doom posted:

I'm fine with the magic never being explained, but I would like to know how a continent full of human beings with primitive technology can survive with ten years in total darkness, much less a full generation. That would be impossible for modern society, even.

Maybe that's why Westeros has barely advanced technologically - every long winter kills off 60% of the population and devastates crop yields, like a recurring black death.

I imagine that, in a more realistic scenario, everyone who doesn't die migrates to Dorn for ten years? And there's some magic plants that grow in the dark? I don't know, I can't really think of any ways in which it would be possible for civilization to continue.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

It's a planet with semi-regular nuclear winters. It should be uninhabitable.

Presumably Nan's lines about entire generations living in darkness refers to the Old Night and the long winter that accompanied the last war with the Others, but still, even if there's daylight, a perpetual winter of any length lasting beyond a year or more would be utterly devastating.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Winter in Westeros sounds pretty loving metal.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Thulsa Doom posted:

It's a planet with semi-regular nuclear winters. It should be uninhabitable.

Presumably Nan's lines about entire generations living in darkness refers to the Old Night and the long winter that accompanied the last war with the Others, but still, even if there's daylight, a perpetual winter of any length lasting beyond a year or more would be utterly devastating.

I guess, then, for the world to be at all tenable, you have to assume that at the very least the stories of the long night are greatly exaggerated legends and winter never lasts longer than a few years. And you can still grow things in the South where its effects are less drastic.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

I guess, then, for the world to be at all tenable, you have to assume that at the very least the stories of the long night are greatly exaggerated legends and winter never lasts longer than a few years. And you can still grow things in the South where its effects are less drastic.

It pretty much as to be that. Weren't there mentions of people flocking to Dorne in Dance/Feast?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I don't recall anything like that (especially since they have to cross a desert to get there by land, and sea travel isn't cheap), but I'd assume that the Reach gets a flood of migrants.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
There's also Essos (and Sothoryos I guess), where they never seem to worry about the impending Winter.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Which then raises the question, why the hell does anyone live in Westeros? You'd think, at least, that the Targaryens would use their invincible killing machines to forge an empire in the part of the world that doesn't suck.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There seem to be all kinds of plagues in Essos and zombie ghosts all over Valyria and the Dothraki Sea is full of notMongolHuns and anyways Dany's been going through that continent just recently. Although I do wonder how the Lamb Men survive with their gimmick of being docile shepherds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
If it's cold enough for there to be a 700 foot wall of ice which never melts even in a decade long Summer, and everything North of the wall is colder than that, how does it have a growing season? How are there trees or wolves or people? what do they eat and when do they grow it? If you're trekking about in the snow and ice in the warmest season, you're basically in the equivalent of Antarctica and the most complex plants should be mosses and lichens.

I know it's all MY IMMERSION, but it's irritating because in Westeros proper and in Essos, GRRM does give some thought to poo poo like supply lines and cities needing massive areas of countryside around them to produce food, and what kind of culture different kinds of ecosystem produce. In the far North though the rules don't seem to apply just so he can have a stupid 700 foot ice wall and have rangers miserably plodding though snow in all seasons.