Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

DasNeonLicht posted:

Thanks for the reply, and sorry if I was unclear. You correctly drew out both of my questions:

1) Has anyone been contacted by a federal hiring manager on their resume alone (i.e., they did not apply)?

2) Has anyone actually been hired through USA Jobs? (A cynical question, but I have heard a lot of discouraging stories)

Thanks again.

I have never been contacted by a federal hiring manager by my resume being searchable.

On the other hand, I am glad to say that I have had two job offers by applying through USAjobs. It took a ton of applications, and about two unsuccessful interviews before I successfully made it through in January of this year with two simultaneous offers. I just passed 5 months from my EOD date last week and have been told I am on track to get my grade increase in February.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

DasNeonLicht posted:

2) Has anyone actually been hired through USA Jobs? (A cynical question, but I have heard a lot of discouraging stories)

Yes. After putting ~45 applications in via USAJOBS, I ended up with two interview offers, one of which led to my job with the USDA. This was from Jan-June 2010, and I started in Oct '10.

It's a very discouraging process because of how long it takes. I had actually completely forgotten that I had applied to this job when I got called.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

DasNeonLicht posted:

As discouraging at the stories are, just keep applying to positions that interest you. Make sure your resume is thorough and take a close look at what the job announcement questionnaires are asking for.

I have co-workers whose family members (parents, uncles, cousins, etc.) worked with the same agency yet it took them years of trying before they got a foot in the door.

I also have co-workers who randomly applied out perhaps more so out of curiosity, were interviewed and subsequently hired within months. There are a lot of factors that go into it so don't be too discouraged.

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.
TSA contacted me after 11 and a half months. I declined. I applied for something like 200-300 things. Eventually I got picked up at a location about 50 miles from my house. Expand your search area, don't lose hope.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Is it normal for agencies to just call federal references out of the blue even when I don't have that option marked on my resume?

Midge the Jet fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 23, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

DasNeonLicht posted:

Thanks for the reply, and sorry if I was unclear. You correctly drew out both of my questions:

1) Has anyone been contacted by a federal hiring manager on their resume alone (i.e., they did not apply)?

Thanks again.
A few years ago, there were a number of generic continually open positions in USA Jobs, where applicants would apply for non-specific jobs in a general area, and hiring officials would search those resumes. Every once in a while I would get a call out of the blue asking if I was interested in such and such a job, and if I wanted to schedule an interview. I was hired to my present job that way.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

ilc23 posted:

A TSA job opened up here for the first time I've ever seen one open up. Crossing my fingers and applying. Does anyone know if bilingual abilities count as a plus?

TSA guy here. As far as I know, it really doesn't help you when applying. Once you get your foot in the door, then you'll have a leg up when applying for promotions and detailed positions.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

Beerdeer posted:

I work for CIS and I love it. It does depend where you work though. Field offices are more stressful than the service centers.

Interesting. May I ask why? I was offered the job Friday and sent my acceptance Saturday.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Service Centers (I work at Nebraska) are just for pumping through applications. We're not open to the public, so we have a casual dress code. No direct contact with immigrants.

Field offices do all the interviews. That's where you have to deal with 15-minutes per case, attorneys in the office, and all the other "public relations" type work/headaches. If you're the kind of person who really enjoys that it's great. I'm not.

I'm an Immigration Services Officer though. As an analyst your experience may be very different.

FlyWhiteBoy
Jul 13, 2004
Is it possible to have an investigation open for a TS and Secret clearance at the same time?

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Well in an uncommon turn of events I retracted my acceptance for the CIS job because I was offered a job by the Navy on Monday.

Keep plugging away at those applications on USAJOBS, folks, it took me over 150 applications to finally get something!

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

Is it possible to have an investigation open for a TS and Secret clearance at the same time?

No, your secret has to be fully adjudicated before the TS can start.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

I got an email at work today from my IT office - Microsoft is offering Office Professional Plus to federal employees for $9.95 through their digital river services. Supposedly it only works for *.civ@mail.mil addresses but it really can't hurt to try.

http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/chooser.aspx?culture=en-US

Select your country, then click on the link that reads "Don’t Know Your Program Code? Click here." and input your work email address. You'll get a validation email which you can then use to buy the license and download the software.

:siren: DON'T DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE TO YOUR WORK COMPUTER. :siren:

Forward the confirmation email to your home address and do it from home.

edit: Worked for me, installed clean at home :)

Drewski fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 2, 2012

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Drewski posted:

I got an email at work today from my IT office - Microsoft is offering Office Professional Plus to federal employees for $9.95 through their digital river services. Supposedly it only works for *.civ@mail.mil addresses but it really can't hurt to try.

http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/chooser.aspx?culture=en-US

Select your country, then click on the link that reads "Don’t Know Your Program Code? Click here." and input your work email address. You'll get a validation email which you can then use to buy the license and download the software.

:siren: DON'T DOWNLOAD THE SOFTWARE TO YOUR WORK COMPUTER. :siren:

Forward the confirmation email to your home address and do it from home.

edit: Worked for me, installed clean at home :)

I did the same a couple years ago.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Well, about a week ago, my manager received a reference call about me. Turns out that I now have a tentative offer with that agency, and the new promotion potential is up to an 11! This is with no interviews whatsoever.

I should be receiving email soon with a 306 to fill and a place to send it to. The transfer process is completely foreign to me, so if anyone else has done one, how was it like?

Midge the Jet fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 9, 2012

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

NintyFresh posted:

Well this was a surprise, my manager called me in today to let me know that HUD was asking her for a reference. I haven't even received anything about an interview. Kind of awkward, but she said it sounded like a good fit for me. I already work for the gov, but in another agency.

Is it normal for them to just call federal references out of the blue even when I don't have that option marked on my resume? I would be elated to get this job since the promotion potential would be up to an 11 instead of my current 7.

Out of curiosity, why are you interested in transferring to HUD and what agency are you leaving?

It looks like you've decided already. Just wanted to see what you've heard about HUD because my current boss at OPM came from there.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

De Nomolos posted:

Out of curiosity, why are you interested in transferring to HUD and what agency are you leaving?

It looks like you've decided already. Just wanted to see what you've heard about HUD because my current boss at OPM came from there.

I work at NIH right now as an assistant. The job itself isn't bad at all, but there is very little promotion potential in my institute, especially if you don't have a medical background. Some of the other assistants I've worked with have been there for nearly 20 years as a 7 and never moved up. There also isn't too much work to do...there are a lot of slow periods since I mostly print documents and put files away. In addition, a lot of HHS jobs are in Maryland while I live in Virginia. There isn't anything wrong with Maryland, but I prefer living on the Virginia side and a commute to DC is what I would favor.

For HUD, it would be in financial analysis, so I would get away from an assistant role and move into a professional series as a trainee. In addition, this job will have a ladder to 11, and then I would have to compete to move up to 12/13/14. I know HUD isn't that highly ranked in employee satisfaction, but the ability to get out of an administrative role and into something where I could produce work for myself is something I've been trying to do since I graduated.

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT
So... am I an incorrigible and unhireable smart rear end if I take this:

quote:

Examples may include the following: examining and processing a variety of legal documents; conducting research, analysis and evaluation of data in response to complex or sensitive requests; drafting briefs, pleadings, litigation recommendations, or other legal documents and correspondence; using a variety of electronic or manual filing systems to acquire and store information; document findings and preparing recommendations; searching and reviewing legal references, case files, and other sources for information and data required by attorneys or court personnel; skill in explaining and presenting laws, rules, and/or regulations orally and in writing to a wide range of individuals; ability to interpret and apply complex laws, rules regulations, and precendents; ability to research technical materials.

and rewrite it as "my worked involved the following: {copy/paste make slight edits}"? I mean, it's true! I have done a lot of all that.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

solovyov posted:

So... am I an incorrigible and unhireable smart rear end if I take this:

and rewrite it as "my worked involved the following: {copy/paste make slight edits}"? I mean, it's true! I have done a lot of all that.

If that's in the job description, I think that's exactly the way you're supposed to do it. Maybe give some specific examples. Your resume's gonna be long.

Machiavellist
Jul 1, 2012
Anyone here work for NASA? I read through the thread once before and do not remember it being mentioned. They have quite a few interesting openings. I'm looking into it for an after school type thing (getting a degree in Geography - Geographic Information Technology). I also have to my credit a secret clearance, 6 and a half years of Military Service, Separated with an Honorable Discharge as an E-5 Aviation Electronics Technician and 60% disability. I'm hoping that with most of this going for me I can get a job somewhere.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Machiavellist posted:

I also have to my credit...60% disability.

This will get you 10 point of veterans preference and put you on the top of most lists for vacancies that are open to the public. You can also apply for status only jobs that are open to outside an agency.

Bellum
Jun 3, 2011

All war is deception.
What can you get with a TS clearance and no work experience?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Bellum posted:

I think you'd be better off trying with clearancejobs.

While I was job hunting, I did occasionally see stuff like TS clearance needed for ID badge makers at Northrup and stuff like that.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Bellum posted:

Government doesn't care about existing clearances; the announcements always say "must be able to obtain [x]". It's contractors that care.

FYI, cleared janitors are always in demand. Or did you have something else in mind?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Bellum posted:

Ambassador. (Seriously, that qualifies you for the foreign service assuming you pass the exams).

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I'm interested in applying for a position within my same department but different agency.

The new position starts at a 7 and full potential ends at the 12. When applying for these type of transfers, is it generally expected that the applicant put in for a lower grade and essentially start "fresh" with the new agency?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Tortilla Maker posted:

I'm interested in applying for a position within my same department but different agency.

The new position starts at a 7 and full potential ends at the 12. When applying for these type of transfers, is it generally expected that the applicant put in for a lower grade and essentially start "fresh" with the new agency?
No, you should put in for the lowest level you wish to be considered as- EG, your present level if you want a lateral, or a step up if you would only do it for a promotion.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
Can someone explain how a grade increase works when I'm at a step 10? My understanding is you go up 2 steps in your current grade, then find the lowest step in the new grade that would have you at or above that rate. Correct? So if I can't go two steps higher, do I just add 2x the amount of the differences in steps at my grade?

That makes the most sense to me, but I'm worried there's something stupid where I'm going to get screwed and get like $400 extra after my promotion in October.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Kase Im Licht posted:

Can someone explain how a grade increase works when I'm at a step 10? My understanding is you go up 2 steps in your current grade, then find the lowest step in the new grade that would have you at or above that rate. Correct? So if I can't go two steps higher, do I just add 2x the amount of the differences in steps at my grade?

That makes the most sense to me, but I'm worried there's something stupid where I'm going to get screwed and get like $400 extra after my promotion in October.
http://www.opm.gov/oca/pay/html/promotion.asp

Round up from your present salary to the next step in your new grade, and then add a step.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I've tentatively accepted a position from the USPTO to start this winter. The process took a while and there were pretty long periods of no contact, so don't let that discourage you for anyone else using USAjobs.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

grover posted:

http://www.opm.gov/oca/pay/html/promotion.asp

Round up from your present salary to the next step in your new grade, and then add a step.

So in a 9/11/12 developmental position (talking base salary)-
a 9 step 10 making $54028 would round up to 11 step 4 at $55315, then bump up to 11 step 5 at $56991?

Then after a year the 11 step 5 making $56991 getting promoted again would round up to 12 step 1 at 60274, then bump up to 12 step 2 making $62283?

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has anyone here worked (or know anything about working for) the Federal Reserve? I'm considering applying for one of the researcher positions once I get my econ BA.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

I'm still waiting for my offer to be finalized so I can transfer to HUD. I did my fingerprinting and picture on the 15th and all my scans, prints, and picture were already in the system from last time so I was in and out within 5 minutes. They just added a scan of my current PIV card.

The last time she talked to me, I was told I had to wait on my background to clear before release and I haven't even been given access to e-QIP this time. I completed the SF-85 in Feb, and this job doesn't require a clearance.

Guess I will just have to check in again next week, since that seems to move it along. I'd like to get a release date settled before the fiscal year ends.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Captain Payne posted:

Has anyone here worked (or know anything about working for) the Federal Reserve? I'm considering applying for one of the researcher positions once I get my econ BA.

I believe that only employees of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System are federal employees, and employees of the Federal Reserve Banks are not federal employees.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
So I've begun my M.A. in Intl Relations here and Norfolk but I am beginning to have some doubts as to whether this even a Master's in this field will be marketable. I am starting to strongly consider starting fresh and work my way through a computer science degree. Is there anyone here that is/has experience with the State/Defense department that can offer their two cents?

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
There's a thread for the State Department :)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3166411
Officially, no specific level of education is required, but in practice it seems like people with JDs and Master's degrees and even PhDs are quite common.

menpoop
Jul 29, 2004

Girls aren't the only ones who take dumps, you know...

Gravel Gravy posted:

So I've begun my M.A. in Intl Relations here and Norfolk but I am beginning to have some doubts as to whether this even a Master's in this field will be marketable. I am starting to strongly consider starting fresh and work my way through a computer science degree. Is there anyone here that is/has experience with the State/Defense department that can offer their two cents?

I'm about to enter into a position as a civilian with one of the services so I might be able to add some insight. I've got a poli-sci BA and an IR-type MA. While my education was no doubt important in getting my resume looked at, I really think that what sealed the deal for me during the selection process were the skills I could reference outside of academia. (study abroad, language, internships)

To be sure, the MA helped me stand out a bit in a very saturated field and if I had to do it again, I'd do it without hesitation. But what worked for me isn't necessarily what will work for you. At the very least, if I were you, I'd make sure to get an internship that I could spin as relevant to the sorts of positions I had an eye on. Networking helps a lot with this - don't be shy about asking your professors if they or their colleagues need help with their projects. My internship proved absolutely invaluable in the interviews and I got it just by asking a professor to ask his friends if they had any work that needed to be done. I didn't get a few of the positions I interviewed for, but even in the rejected ones, I could tell that that experience was really helping me out.

I guess my bottom line is that - at least for my personal situation - I don't think the MA itself was the difference between getting offered a position and not. People with BA's are getting hired at the exact same position as I'm about to start. What the degree did was open doors for things like getting that much-needed experience on my resume and for allowing me to explore relevant, useful topics I would have otherwise left alone.

menpoop fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 30, 2012

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011
Anyone have any experience with a contact service representative role with the IRS? I am a bit nervous about accepting. The only reason I want the position is to just get in the IRS and hopefully move to a better position as soon as possible. I doubt I would enjoy this job, but would be willing to suffer for something better down the road.

It is also only seasonal. Not sure how it would work with student loans, but I could probably make it work.

Is there any real possibility of moving out of this department? Or will I be stuck in the call center only hoping to move up to a manager position?

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

stephelopholus posted:

Anyone have any experience with a contact service representative role with the IRS? I am a bit nervous about accepting. The only reason I want the position is to just get in the IRS and hopefully move to a better position as soon as possible. I doubt I would enjoy this job, but would be willing to suffer for something better down the road.

It is also only seasonal. Not sure how it would work with student loans, but I could probably make it work.

Is there any real possibility of moving out of this department? Or will I be stuck in the call center only hoping to move up to a manager position?

I actually was hired last year as a contact rep up in Baltimore. I was only in the job for only a week before I got a firm offer for a full year job, which I jumped ship to. As you can see, looking at my post history, I'm waiting to move into a professional ladder series now.

It is a good way to get your foot in the door, but it will take some time to move up within the IRS itself. Internal IRS jobs rely heavily on performance appraisals, and as a seasonal, it will take a longer time to get 4/5 ratings. Most people I talked to were moved from seasonal to permanent within 3 or so years. Some end up being lifers since they prefer seasonal work.

Also, being seasonal means that you will be on non-paid status during the off months, which can vary depending on call volume and the current budget. During the off-season, you may be eligible to get unemployment due to lack of work depending on the state.

They train you on the phones fast. Even though I was only there for two weeks, I was on all the systems and double-jacking on phone calls with taxpayers.

I'm glad I got into my current job when I did, because some callers get very irate. In the long run, I would say to take it. It allows you to establish an EOD which future leave will be based on, and to get into the government before stricter budgets may hurt hiring even more. After 90 days, you will be able to apply to jobs as a status candidate, which is really helpful with getting interviews in other agencies. Since getting the ability to apply to status, I've had 3 interviews, 1 job offer, and another possibility of an offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

NintyFresh posted:

I actually was hired last year as a contact rep up in Baltimore. I was only in the job for only a week before I got a firm offer for a full year job, which I jumped ship to. As you can see, looking at my post history, I'm waiting to move into a professional ladder series now.

It is a good way to get your foot in the door, but it will take some time to move up within the IRS itself. Internal IRS jobs rely heavily on performance appraisals, and as a seasonal, it will take a longer time to get 4/5 ratings. Most people I talked to were moved from seasonal to permanent within 3 or so years. Some end up being lifers since they prefer seasonal work.

Also, being seasonal means that you will be on non-paid status during the off months, which can vary depending on call volume and the current budget. During the off-season, you may be eligible to get unemployment due to lack of work depending on the state.

They train you on the phones fast. Even though I was only there for two weeks, I was on all the systems and double-jacking on phone calls with taxpayers.

I'm glad I got into my current job when I did, because some callers get very irate. In the long run, I would say to take it. It allows you to establish an EOD which future leave will be based on, and to get into the government before stricter budgets may hurt hiring even more. After 90 days, you will be able to apply to jobs as a status candidate, which is really helpful with getting interviews in other agencies. Since getting the ability to apply to status, I've had 3 interviews, 1 job offer, and another possibility of an offer.

Thanks! I feel better about the job now. How do the benefits work for seasonal?