Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Shifty Pony posted:

Do you have a Furminator? That really is the magic tool. Making short deep strokes (but avoid hitting the skin) and cleaning the blade often is the best way to do it. Follow up with a slicker brush to pull out any stray fluff.
I've seen those before, but I've also heard they're pretty harsh on the fur, and I'd like it if my precious snowball furbaby angelpoof couchclawing fingerbiting craphead cat didn't have her coat mangled. Urban legend? Anyone car to mythbust this for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Sully bashes his face into the steel cutter when I try to use the furminator on him. He just wants to nuzzle it and scrape it across his face. :staredog:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Bad Munki posted:

I've seen those before, but I've also heard they're pretty harsh on the fur, and I'd like it if my precious snowball furbaby angelpoof couchclawing fingerbiting craphead cat didn't have her coat mangled. Urban legend? Anyone car to mythbust this for me?

What's your kitty look like? Long or short coat? You'll have better luck with short, zero with long. Even a short coat you risk damage, but it could be worth it for you, it's really your own opinion. I personally use a slicker and a flea comb. Tedious, but it works. I even use it on my husky. :3:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I was actually just now coming back to ask about the coat so I could figure out which brush to get. I'm not sure, I'd say "in between."

What do y'all think?

Justin Sane
Aug 15, 2012
so after being a complete retard, I've resized my picture. This is one of my Cocker/Cavalier mixes, Rascal. He's about 3 1/2 now.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Super you'll be happy to hear that Moses doesn't exist. You can stop spergin' about APBTs now because they aren't real. They're all just bully mutts that people slap fancy names on. I mean I'm against BSL but this reasoning is just wildly stupid.

"You can't make laws against pit bulls because there is no such thing as a pit bull! :downs:"

vvv I don't understand these people. There are so many good arguments against BSL (like the fact it doesn't work) why do you just go with something that is factually wrong?vvv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 29, 2012

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Super you'll be happy to hear that Moses doesn't exist. You can stop spergin' about APBTs now because they aren't real. They're all just bully mutts that people slap fancy names on. I mean I'm against BSL but this reasoning is just wildly stupid.

"You can't make laws against pit bulls because there is no such thing as a pit bull! :downs:"

Yeah I hear this one a lot, it seems to be a favorite of rescue ladies. For some reason it makes me madder than all of the "BUT THE CHILDREN!!" reasons combined. A tiny nerd baby inside me just explodes when I hear "Did You Know There Is No Such Thing As A Pit Bull? :smug:" I'm not even capable of coherently responding and I just make incoherent nerd sounds.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I hear "PIT BULL ISN'T A BREED!!!" by some bully advocates in town. I always think APBT when I hear pit bull obviously, but I know some people think all bully breeds are pit bulls. So idk wtf.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:

Justin Sane posted:

so after being a complete retard, I've resized my picture. This is one of my Cocker/Cavalier mixes, Rascal. He's about 3 1/2 now.

He is super cute :3: What other dogs do you have? What made you pick this mix? I've never seen this combination before.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bad Munki posted:

I wouldn't use it as a replacement for a slicker for an everyday brush, but it isn't harsh. The basic design of it is that it kind of jams up with fur as you pull it through the coat. This provides a little bit of tugging on each individual hair which is just enough to pull the loose ones out while leaving anything else behind. I guess it is not unlike what hair stylists do when they put some of your hair between two fingers and gently pull to get all the hair an even length.

I suppose you could run into trouble if the coat was such that there was a huge difference between how strongly the undercoat and topcoat hairs were held in the follicles. My friends have used it on all of their cats and have noticed drastically reduced shedding all around, with either no change or a smoother coat. Oh and one of their cats has become a major pest because he loves it so much he begs whenever he catches a glimpse of it.

I love in that article that some people apparently have been confusing Boxers with Pibbles. How do you make that mistake?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

I love in that article that some people apparently have been confusing Boxers with Pibbles. How do you make that mistake?

A friend of my parents recently came to visit and told me "oh, you have a BEAUTIFUL boxer!" when she saw Moses in the yard. She is the sweetest, most awesome lady ever, but just REALLY.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Shifty Pony posted:

I wouldn't use it as a replacement for a slicker for an everyday brush, but it isn't harsh. The basic design of it is that it kind of jams up with fur as you pull it through the coat. This provides a little bit of tugging on each individual hair which is just enough to pull the loose ones out while leaving anything else behind. I guess it is not unlike what hair stylists do when they put some of your hair between two fingers and gently pull to get all the hair an even length.

Thats actually a bit off. Furminators are basically clipper blades on a stick. It's a technique called carding meant to be used on already harsh coats, originally done using an actual clipper blade. Someone got the genius idea to throw a handle on it so it's way easier, but sell it to the general public who doesn't know what it's for and market it like a comb, and you see the problem.

The technique works by slicing the undercoat (not just getting the stuff that naturally shed out) and if you do it right, on the right kind of coat, the guard hairs slip through. However, it is WAY easy to still cut the guard hairs, and most coats don't even work with it.

Bad Munki, you cat's coat might be a little long. If you already have a slicker, try a flea comb, too, you might get better results. :)

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
I have had good luck using a zoom groom followed by a slicker brush. The zoom gets out loads of hair, but you should use it outside if you are able because it flies everywhere. The slicker helps neaten things up and pick up all the hairs that the zoom left wafting over your cat.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
So I just learned a great way to get cat hair out of a rug (or cat tree) if you don't have the most powerful vacuum and don't feel like buying a new one. A squeegee does the trick! My cat trees look almost like new after being coated with black hair. It takes a little elbow grease but it works so well.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Abbeh posted:

So I just learned a great way to get cat hair out of a rug (or cat tree) if you don't have the most powerful vacuum and don't feel like buying a new one. A squeegee does the trick! My cat trees look almost like new after being coated with black hair. It takes a little elbow grease but it works so well.

I've also heard tell that wiping it down with a leather glove on your hand makes the hair come right out, I guess the leather of the glove has just enough tack to pull it up/out with minimal effort. Also works great on the seats of car.

Asstro Van posted:

I have had good luck using a zoom groom followed by a slicker brush. The zoom gets out loads of hair, but you should use it outside if you are able because it flies everywhere. The slicker helps neaten things up and pick up all the hairs that the zoom left wafting over your cat.

We have one of these, but she won't sit still for it. Maybe it's just that my cat's a jerk that doesn't like to be brushed by anything ever. :(

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Skizzles posted:

Would it be possible for Beck to see/smell/touch Skylar's body after she passes? I dunno if there's any scientific evidence that this helps, but... damnit if that last chapter of "The Other End of the Leash" didn't get to me. :negative:

2tomorrow posted:

Anecdotal evidence seems pretty strong that animals deal with death much better if they're allowed to see the body rather than having their buddy just disappear and never come back. Plus I think it's nicer to have the animal put down at home if possible and a lot of vets nowadays are willing to do that even if they don't make house calls in other circumstances.

Letting Beck see Skylar's body after she's gone is something we've been planning to do, so I'm glad to know it actually serves a purpose. We're lucky enough to live near a university with a huge vet program, so they offer all kinds of options for owners of terminally ill pets. We'll be having the euthanasia at home, and it's possible Beck will be present for Skylar's comfort since they both like to be able to see each other during things like vet visists.

Topoisomerase posted:

Sorry about your sister's dog.

Patricia McConnell just wrote a couple of blog entries about this topic, oddly enough. They might help...I didn't really read them fully but it seems appropriate.

Thanks, I would have totally missed these if you hadn't posted them, and they're very relevant.

We've been doing lots of Dog Things lately, like going for walks in the evening on her favorite trails and stopping whenever Skylar wants to investigate something. She also gets to play with her favorite squeaky toy a lot. It's her favorite because it's the shrillest, most annoying toy in existence. :sigh: I just ignore it as long as I can. We've got plans to do a play date with the small dogs that live next door. Beck actually likes them and the little dogs don't mind that Skylar has stunted dog social skills (we call it "dogspegers"), so they can all run around like idiots together. I'll probably post pictures of different activities now and then.

It's kind of hard to think of things for her to do sometimes. Beck is super active, but Skylar really just likes tagging along. Sometimes we just do what we've always done, like using the Chuckit to scratch Skylar's butt after we throw the ball with it for Beck. My sister and I have always called her the baby of the family, despite her being the oldest dog, because she's so dumb and needy. I just try to keep that in mind and make sure I take a little time to let her know she's the Extra Special Idiot Baby, no matter what we're doing with the dogs.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

A friend of my parents recently came to visit and told me "oh, you have a BEAUTIFUL boxer!" when she saw Moses in the yard. She is the sweetest, most awesome lady ever, but just REALLY.

Make Moses be a boxer for Halloween. Have him carry little boxing gloves in his mouth. :3:

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Oh my god I finally got imgur to work on my phone. Now I once again have a camera and can actually maybe post pictures of my critters other than really old ones stored on my computer!

To test, here is a picture of my working dog being his usual dignified self.
edit: oh my the poor tables give me a second here

Okay let's try this again:

He was sound asleep when I went to take this picture, though he woke up a little when I moved to get a better angle.

2tomorrow fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 29, 2012

jenirussticks
Mar 19, 2012

Oh no, not you again!
My moms dog and his candy addiction.....silly taz....

My dog dexter likes to wear his snuggie and rock some Xbox...

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

2tomorrow posted:

Oh my god I finally got imgur to work on my phone. Now I once again have a camera and can actually maybe post pictures of my critters other than really old ones stored on my computer!

To test, here is a picture of my working dog being his usual dignified self.
edit: oh my the poor tables give me a second here

Okay let's try this again:

He was sound asleep when I went to take this picture, though he woke up a little when I moved to get a better angle.

:neckbeard:
More George, please.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Are there any recommendations for a dog bed for a senior dog? She's about thirteen and in good shape for her age, but she's obviously not a young dog anymore. Preferably something I can get at Petco.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Invalid Octopus posted:

Are there any recommendations for a dog bed for a senior dog? She's about thirteen and in good shape for her age, but she's obviously not a young dog anymore. Preferably something I can get at Petco.

Are you looking for something nice and soft, or easy to get out of, or ? I like the big squishy beds they sell at Costco for $20, everything at Petco is way more expensive.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

RazorBunny posted:

Are you looking for something nice and soft, or easy to get out of, or ? I like the big squishy beds they sell at Costco for $20, everything at Petco is way more expensive.

She's my mom's dog, and Petco's closer and I have to go there anyway. I'm not sure if I should be looking for extra soft or more support or what.

Etherealm
Aug 18, 2004

Here's Popof

And sleeping

The breed is Foldex, which you may not find outside of Canada. He recognizes his name and when called and usually comes to me. He will bring back stuff thrown to play until he gets tired of it. That's pretty much the cat equivalent of a dog, but with less energy and more reflexes.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Popof seriously looks like a stuffed animal. :3: Wanna play with his mushy face.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Invalid Octopus posted:

She's my mom's dog, and Petco's closer and I have to go there anyway. I'm not sure if I should be looking for extra soft or more support or what.

If she's a nester, probably softer. If she's a sprawler, probably firmer. :colbert: I still say a waterproof liner over a mattress is the best bed we've ever had for these mutts. http://www.petco.com/N_22_109_30_42...61700&cmrefpf=1 Those prices just seem absurd to me when (depending on weight) you could probably pitch together a bed for her half-ish of a lot of that.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

So I found a lump under Bailey's jaw this evening while petting him, and I swear it wasn't there yesterday (He had "naked time" and got lots of pets and brushing). Its maybe ping pong sized, pretty round, and it feels like its under his skin. He doesn't mind me touching or prodding it (expect for when he's had enough handling, which he's usually finicky about anyways and he's no more bothered by this than say me touching his feet). His appetite is normal, he's normally energetic and there haven't been any changes in pooping or peeing or other behaviors recently. Is this something to freak out about? Or is it just my dog giving me a scare? (I am not asking people to substitute for a vet; I'd just like to know what it might be and how much I should worry.)

Either way I'm planning on calling the vet. It just might be a little harder to get out there because (haha) my car broke down today.

And tomorrow is my b-day. hooray for me :unsmith:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This kinda could go in the cat thread but it is more a fundemental emotional crisis on my part. I don't know if Purrcy is going to work out in this house. He's a sweety-pie and totally cool with me (albeit a bit pesty when I am working) and astonishingly smart. The problem is I think he have a really fundamental litter box incompatibility with my other cat Sadie.

Sadie has to have a tall-sided litter box because she will attempt to bury her leavings with excessive exuberance. We are talking yard-long swaths of ejected litter. But she will preferentially use a lower sided litter box if one is available and just fling litter everywhere. We are talking like a pound or so per use, launched impressive distances across the floor. Purrcy, despite being smart in many, many other ways he does this when he needs to poop in a tall-sided litter box:

Then steps in it, kicks his paw, and flings poo everywhere in the litter box then tries to cover each little bit but really just mixes everything up soiling the entire load of litter in one go not to mention requiring me to clean the box and walls (from him flinging), his paws, and the floor (from him tracking) in the area. It is just.. everywhere :stonk: but he's fine with a low-walled box. Putting a top cover with a hole on a high box only solves the flinging onto the wall part but he still poops like that leaving the box shot for anyone else to use and he runs around leaving poo-prints. Of course it turns out that Purrcy will preferentially use a tall-sided litter box if one is there :smith:. A side entrance covered litterbox is not really an option because Sadie will launch litter out and I know my own failings and I would be less likely to be as diligent about cleaning it daily.

I just don't knoooooooow. I have one cat that can't have short boxes around and one that can't have tall! I can't find anything hopeful for changing these habits online. I'm seriously considering saying "this isn't going to work" to the rescue as they did say the first two weeks were "trial" to make sure it was a good fit but that just makes me feel like a failed kitty-father. To add to it Purrcy is now being very aggressive when he sees Sadie through his screen door and Sadie now bolts when she sees him. :(

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
You could try toilet training since she already seems to sit on the edge of the box while poopin'.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

wtftastic posted:

So I found a lump under Bailey's jaw this evening while petting him, and I swear it wasn't there yesterday (He had "naked time" and got lots of pets and brushing). Its maybe ping pong sized, pretty round, and it feels like its under his skin. He doesn't mind me touching or prodding it (expect for when he's had enough handling, which he's usually finicky about anyways and he's no more bothered by this than say me touching his feet). His appetite is normal, he's normally energetic and there haven't been any changes in pooping or peeing or other behaviors recently. Is this something to freak out about? Or is it just my dog giving me a scare? (I am not asking people to substitute for a vet; I'd just like to know what it might be and how much I should worry.)

Either way I'm planning on calling the vet. It just might be a little harder to get out there because (haha) my car broke down today.

And tomorrow is my b-day. hooray for me :unsmith:

Happy early birthday :toot:

Major had a random lump on his jaw around Christmas that showed up overnight on a Saturday and ended up almost golfball sized before I got to the vet on Monday. It was aspirated and turned out to be an abscess (that was the good thing for it to be) and a course of antibiotics got it down to grape size. Then it started bigger and he needed surgery and a drain put in and I was paying it off and cleaning dog blood off my walls for months. Yay! There wasn't a wound or anything so none of us could figure out how he got all infected but it hasn't come back since.

Hopefully yours is just a bug bite or something!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ladyweapon posted:

You could try toilet training since she already seems to sit on the edge of the box while poopin'.

You should see him with the lid-box. He just sits on the lid and lets it fall where it may before jumping in (onto it) to cover it up.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Happy early birthday :toot:

Major had a random lump on his jaw around Christmas that showed up overnight on a Saturday and ended up almost golfball sized before I got to the vet on Monday. It was aspirated and turned out to be an abscess (that was the good thing for it to be) and a course of antibiotics got it down to grape size. Then it started bigger and he needed surgery and a drain put in and I was paying it off and cleaning dog blood off my walls for months. Yay! There wasn't a wound or anything so none of us could figure out how he got all infected but it hasn't come back since.

Hopefully yours is just a bug bite or something!

Do you think its safe to leave it a day and then call the vet if it looks no better tomorrow evening?

EDIT: I'm just being an overly sensitive wreck over this. Its been kind of a crap day and a crappy month and now I'm all :qq: over a bump on my dog.

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 30, 2012

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Just got back from an annual exam + vaccines + heartworm tests + heartworm/flea(combo) meds for two of my dogs..

I guessed it might cost me around $300-$400...

was more like $640 :suicide:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

wtftastic posted:

Do you think its safe to leave it a day and then call the vet if it looks no better tomorrow evening?

EDIT: I'm just being an overly sensitive wreck over this. Its been kind of a crap day and a crappy month and now I'm all :qq: over a bump on my dog.

As long as he's acting fine and its not huge/oozing/hot I wouldn't panic. If it starts growing like crazy or he seems sick then you can worry.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Yeah don't panic too much wtftastic. Grooming dogs all day I see so many crazy lumps and bumps and skin tags and moles...it almost seems inevitable at some point a dog will get some sort of bump or lump during their lifetime.

Just wait and see what the vet says, and try to enjoy your bday :)

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Greycious posted:

Yeah don't panic too much wtftastic. Grooming dogs all day I see so many crazy lumps and bumps and skin tags and moles...it almost seems inevitable at some point a dog will get some sort of bump or lump during their lifetime.

Just wait and see what the vet says, and try to enjoy your bday :)

As long as he's acting fine and its not huge/oozing/hot I wouldn't panic. If it starts growing like crazy or he seems sick then you can worry.

Thanks guys. I'll keep that in mind and try to keep things in perspective!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Greycious posted:

Just got back from an annual exam + vaccines + heartworm tests + heartworm/flea(combo) meds for two of my dogs..

I guessed it might cost me around $300-$400...

More like $640 :suicide:

:stare: It has been a couple of years since I have actually gone to a vet for any of those things but when I did I got 2 dogs done for about $250-300.

Now I just dose my own ivomec for HW, buy generic fipronil for flea and tick, and buy my own combo vacc's at Tractor Supply. Once a year I go to a low cost rabies clinic hosted at insert-pet-store-here and get their rabies done. 6 months in I hit up a clinic for another HW test so they get checked for HW twice a year.

A $45 bottle of ivomec is good for about 3 years until it expires, so that's $15 a year on HW meds for 2 dogs. Combo vacc's are $7 each, so $14 for both dogs yearly. Rabies is $12 each, so $24 yearly. HW tests are $10, so $40 to have it done twice a year for 2 dogs. Generic Fipronil is about $30 a pack and if I buy the pack for giant dogs I can split it into multiple doses and buy maybe 2 packs a year, so let's say $60 for that.

Added up, that's $153 for all shots, HW exam, and flea/tick/HW meds for 2 dogs = yessssss.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Skizzles posted:

I hear "PIT BULL ISN'T A BREED!!!" by some bully advocates in town. I always think APBT when I hear pit bull obviously, but I know some people think all bully breeds are pit bulls. So idk wtf.

Isn't "Pit Bull" more of a type than a breed? "Pit Bull" usually refers to American Pit Bull Terriers, but Amstaffs, Staffies, and Bull Terriers could also be called Pit Bulls. That was the general impression I got from Bully people and that's what I tell others. Am I wrong? :ohdear:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Azrael Alexander posted:

Isn't "Pit Bull" more of a type than a breed? "Pit Bull" usually refers to American Pit Bull Terriers, but Amstaffs, Staffies, and Bull Terriers could also be called Pit Bulls. That was the general impression I got from Bully people and that's what I tell others. Am I wrong? :ohdear:

Yes. What these people are saying though is that because "pit bull" refers to a type, none of the breeds within the type are valid, and are all just "made up" to make people who have a general "type" of dog feel special. Their point is that because the general term "pit bull" refers to a wide range of dogs, identifying a dog as a "pit bull" is therefore impossible because it is too non-specific and BSL is therefore invalid because apparently none of the pit bull breeds are "real" dog breeds and since "pit bull" is a general term for a list of breeds that apparently don't exist, if BSL is a thing, all dogs might as well be banned as pit bulls because There Is No Such Thing As A Pit Bull.

Basically, they're all tragically confused by kennel club definitions of various pit bull breeds, dual registration of some of those breeds depending on kennel club, lack of recognition of certain breeds by various kennel clubs (the APBT not being recognized by the AKC for example) and the extreme type variation present in those breeds and because they don't understand it they just write it all off because researching stuff is hard when you're a rescue lady who just wants to save ~bait dawgs~ and ~rehabilitate ex fighters~ and own a ~troubled breed.~

Edit: They also don't seem to know what the term "type" refers to in reference to dogs. :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Superconsndar posted:

Added up, that's $153 for all shots, HW exam, and flea/tick/HW meds for 2 dogs = yessssss.

The only thing I'd add in is that a physical exam should really be done on them every so often by a veterinarian. When they're young it's perhaps not a big deal to not get one annually, but it is a good idea to have them checked out every so often if for no other reason than if they do get sick, some vet will have a baseline for how they are in health.

I'd argue that the exam is actually more important than the vaccinations, honestly.

• Locked thread