Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I saw this a few days ago and had high hopes for it after seeing Goldthwait's World's Best Dad, but it really is just a violence/revenge fantasy set to film. I hoped it could have been more, but it's definitely not the quality of Goldthwait's last movie and falls short where it could have been great (such as if they'd been ballsy enough to pull a Funny Games and indict the audience for enjoying the killing).

Definitely can't wait to finally see Glengarry Glen Ross though. :)

What bugged me the most is in the midst of all the childish 'man don't you wish someone would just murder people who mildly annoy you?!' he never actually condemns or praises either the sociopath girl who just wants to murder people who personally bother her, or mr 'I'm killing people for society's sake'. So, basically, even if we were meant to agree with mr 'yea let's just kill the Kardashians, they deserve to die for being annoying' he's never divorced morally from the crazy girl, so the message gets all hosed up.

Maybe it's just because Best Dad was so great, but God Bless America movie really blew for me.

Glengarry Glen Ross, though, must be watched by everyone. I want to have 1984 style mass broadcast areas where people have to go watch it at least once :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
I watched God Bless America (it is exceptionally mediocre) because Bobcat Goldthwait made it, but I didn't realize this wasn't his first movie since Shakes the Clown.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Froglight posted:

You should all go watch Fido, a movie about a post-zombie apocalypse world where zombies are domesticated and kept as pets. It has Trinity from The Matrix and it's as fun as it sounds.

I watched this last night on the recommendations in the thread, and holy poo poo, I loved it. Everybody go watch it right the hell now.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
God Bless America is like a more violent version of Idiocracy

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

casual poster posted:

God Bless America is like a more violent version of Idiocracy

There is nothing about this statement that makes any sense.

One is a satire about our society becoming progressively dumber and the other is a childish revenge fantasy about murdering people who are making out society progressively dumber.

Like, they are vaguely related from a very abstract, conceptual point, but they couldn't possibly be more different in execution. The message, the tone, etc are all completely different.

That's like saying Gremlins is a more violent version of Beethoven.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

One is a satire about our society becoming progressively dumber and the other is a childish revenge fantasy about murdering people who are making out society progressively dumber.

Like, they are vaguely related from a very abstract, conceptual point, but they couldn't possibly be more different in execution. The message, the tone, etc are all completely different.

I would like to think that Gremlins 2: The New Batch is a more violent version of Beethoven's 2nd though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just finished up The Hunter, and god drat it's really good. Willem Dafoe is a hunter/tracker sent to Tazmania to find the now extinct Tasmanian Tiger, for a company wanting it's organs and such for study. The plot makes it sound like a bad sci-fi or action film, but it's a really good drama film.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Wait... since when did Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky become available!?!?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Very recently, I think. Just noticed it this morning.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Eh........yeah, you're really right actually. Like really really right. I don't think I could of been any wronger in my statement. At first I was drawing a comparison between Idiocracy's commercials (Ow! My Balls!) and some of God Bless America, but really, there isn't much besides just a commentary on american society. I wish I could say I wasn't sober while writing that, or that I was tired, but I can't.
It was kind of a dumb statement. But you should all still check out the movie.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

PowderKeg posted:

It popped up on the new releases feed over the weekend.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

EasyEW posted:

It popped up on the new releases feed over the weekend.

Can I get a link to this?

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I watched this last night on the recommendations in the thread, and holy poo poo, I loved it. Everybody go watch it right the hell now.

Fido is the quintessential case of an amazing movie being hamstringed by lovely box art. Please, everyone, watch this movie ASAP. It's wonderful.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

OK Octopus posted:

Fido is the quintessential case of an amazing movie being hamstringed by lovely box art. Please, everyone, watch this movie ASAP. It's wonderful.

No kidding. I skipped over this movie a million times because of the name and boxart. I watched it the other day, and it totally rules. It's like Shaun of the Dead meets Pleasantville.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Fido owns, thanks for the recommendations!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Even being a nerd for zombie movies I put off watching Fido for years because the boxart and previews made it look terrible but it's really good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I always assumed Fido sucked because it's Canadian, being in Canada we get so much Canadian content (Can-con) rammed down our throats due to regulations it makes us immediately suspicious of anything produced here.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

jojoinnit posted:

Can I get a link to this?

The New Choices To Watch Instantly feed (RSS): http://dvd.netflix.com/NewWatchInstantlyRSS. It's a good thing to have handy, since for obvious reasons the new/renewed things show up quicker on the RSS feed than they do on the third-party sites.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

EasyEW posted:

The New Choices To Watch Instantly feed (RSS): http://dvd.netflix.com/NewWatchInstantlyRSS. It's a good thing to have handy, since for obvious reasons the new/renewed things show up quicker on the RSS feed than they do on the third-party sites.

Thanks!

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Ishamael posted:

I enjoyed Dragon Tattoo, but I agree that the rape scene was way too graphic for my taste. Do the sequels have anything like that in them? Trying to decide whether we should watch them or not.

This is why I keep putting this movie off. I can watch 99% of gross stuff in horror/zombie/action/comedy movies because movie violence is generally too over-the-top to be realistic. I saw Irreversible, which had a disturbingly graphic rape scene, and it creeped the hell out of me. It's like the difference between watching Rambo shoot 100 dudes in the face, versus pictures of actual car accident victims.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.
I can't remember if it was this thread or the Netflix recommendation thread in CineD (maybe both) but thanks to all who recommended Terriers. I just whipped through all of it in the past 3 days. I hadn't intended to finish the series tonight because I have an early class tomorrow, but I had to see how it all wrapped up. Usually when I watch tv, I'm browsing the forums at the same time, but this show seriously sucked me in to the point that I put down the laptop and just watched. I think I remember people saying that there's no second season and probably won't be and that makes me sad :saddowns:

Also I always listened to all of the opening and closing themes because they're so damned catchy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Terriers is a great show, I'm sad I discovered it too late because who knows, if more of us found it earlier when it was being aired perhaps they would have gotten another season :(

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

PowderKeg posted:

watch this movie right the gently caress now everyone no matter what

remember the old daily show with craig kilborn? and there was that clip of the guys head being crushed? this is that movie. watch it. no excuses.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

priznat posted:

Terriers is a great show, I'm sad I discovered it too late because who knows, if more of us found it earlier when it was being aired perhaps they would have gotten another season :(

I had no idea this show existed until people were talking about it in the Netflix threads! Maybe bad PR/marketing on their end? Also in the category of TV shows goons love, I'm finally starting Breaking Bad after it's been in my queue since forever.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

A more accurate description is that the main character of God Bless America is the type of person that thinks Idiocracy is a clever and insightful movie. I could totally seem him gushing about it to the lady at the front desk in between his monologues about dumb cattle pod people sheeple American Idol

PowderKeg posted:

Is it dubbed? It's just not the same without that amazing English dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMKN1tYknE

Spoilers, obviously.

Splaa
Jul 23, 2007

Farbtoner posted:

Is it dubbed? It's just not the same without that amazing English dub.

Alas it is subtitled. Sad to find out the big dude is not in fact named Tarzan.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I vouch for Terriers, I remember it being on TV a ew years back and giving it no thought. It poped up a few months back and I watched it all in about 2 days.

Finished Inbetweeners in about 2 days as well. I am a sucker for newer British shows and this easily got my attention. It is pretty much Super Bad Britain version. If you liked Spaced/Black Books or really jokes about pooping yourself, enjoy.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Khorne Flakes posted:

I vouch for Terriers, I remember it being on TV a ew years back and giving it no thought. It poped up a few months back and I watched it all in about 2 days.

Finished Inbetweeners in about 2 days as well. I am a sucker for newer British shows and this easily got my attention. It is pretty much Super Bad Britain version. If you liked Spaced/Black Books or really jokes about pooping yourself, enjoy.

Yes, the Inbetweeners is awesome, and watch it on Netflix...BUT STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THE US VERSION!

sublyme
Mar 21, 2003
lol poker
I believe the dubbed version of riki-oh is on crackle, I watched it a month or so back

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Just watched an amazing documentary, Jiro Dreams of Sushi.

It's about an 85 year old master sushi chef, and is just a beautifully made film and character study. Highly recommended, and it will make you really hungry if you are a sushi fan.

EDIT: Also, Super 8 is on Instant Watch now. Haven't seen it yet, but I will watch it soon.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Ishamael posted:

EDIT: Also, Super 8 is on Instant Watch now. Haven't seen it yet, but I will watch it soon.

Watched it last night. Not bad for Lost: The Goonies, especially if you can ignore every element of the movie trying to parallel everything else until it's one giant interconnected mess of overwrought symbolism. When I said to myself "the characters are pretty interesting, but the monster's kinda blah," I opened a second bottle of gin until I stopped doing that.

The Gate is up, starring Stephen Dorff as a surprisingly competent child actor. Also C.H.U.D.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Ishamael posted:

Just watched an amazing documentary, Jiro Dreams of Sushi.

It's about an 85 year old master sushi chef, and is just a beautifully made film and character study. Highly recommended, and it will make you really hungry if you are a sushi fan.

Just about to watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi and incidentally my grandfather just bought Super 8 for me on DVD today because he thought I'd like it :D

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

The marketing made Warrior look like a 2-hour Tapout commercial, but it's a surprisingly well-made, well-acted and soulful little sports movie despite the prominent brand names. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Plus, Tom Hardy. :allears:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Has anyone else watched Bad rear end starring Danny Trejo yet? I enjoyed it quite a bit. The story of the "I AM A MOTHER FUCKER" t-shirt/beard guy.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

fosborb posted:

Watched it last night. Not bad for Lost: The Goonies, especially if you can ignore every element of the movie trying to parallel everything else until it's one giant interconnected mess of overwrought symbolism. When I said to myself "the characters are pretty interesting, but the monster's kinda blah," I opened a second bottle of gin until I stopped doing that.

The Gate is up, starring Stephen Dorff as a surprisingly competent child actor. Also C.H.U.D.

Do you remember anyone's name aside from the main character?

I enjoyed the feel they were going for, but it was piss-poor character development. I didnt care about a single one of them.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Do you remember anyone's name aside from the main character?

I enjoyed the feel they were going for, but it was piss-poor character development. I didnt care about a single one of them.
This is pretty true, and it's a shame since the kids' performances were really good. They just didn't have poo poo to work with.

Also, the Abrams Glare was even more annoying than it was in "Star Trek".

I didn't totally hate it but it was REALLY bad at the things it was bad at.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

mds2 posted:

Has anyone else watched Bad rear end starring Danny Trejo yet? I enjoyed it quite a bit. The story of the "I AM A MOTHER FUCKER" t-shirt/beard guy.

Watched it a couple of days ago. B-grade in a good way. Danny Trejo is awesome as Bad rear end, but some of the dialogue is kind of cheesy. I found myself rooting for him throughout the whole movie. As a bonus, Barney from Silence of the Lambs is in it as the bad guy, and he's excellent. Lots of puns and violence.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Found an article I thought this thread would enjoy

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Not a movie, but I believe the 4th season of Parks and Rec is newly added, when I went a week or so ago all I could get was season 3. It's definitely a must watch feel good sitcom season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

sublyme posted:

I believe the dubbed version of riki-oh is on crackle, I watched it a month or so back

Yeah, the Netflix version isn't dubbed or subtitled. How many Netflix subscribers speak Cantonese?

• Locked thread