Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Scythe posted:

I've obviously seen hop substitution charts, but does anyone have any "if you like this hop you should try this one"-style recommendations?

I love Centennial and Nugget and like Sorachi Ace, Saaz, Strisselspalt, and Willamette. I'm bored of Cascade and Golding, and really disliked Summit. What other hops should I try?

If you like Centennial (and fruity American hops in general) you should definitely try out Amarillo and Citra, they both taste and smell like sweet tropical fruit.

Also, Palisade and and Ahtanum are criminally underutilized for hoppy American styles, just throwing that out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Jacobey000 posted:

First, malt extract will provide just as much "malty body" as 2-row or a mix of 'base malt'

Right, what I'm saying is that rather than using 12 lbs of malt extract I'm going to use less extract and substitute in sucrose by weight - which I've read lightens the beer without giving up fermentables. I'm just unsure of how much sucrose is too much.

quote:

Second, the Kettle seems okay for a boil pot, albeit overkill (why do you need to measure boiling water?).

Well, I could use the temp gauge to measure the temp of the wort while it's chilling after a boil, but you're right I could just use my current thermometer.

quote:

The problem I could see for a mash tun is it doesn't have an open end on the valve so attaching a dip-tube or screen or bazooka tube is going to require you replace the 'pot end' of the attachments with something longer. Adventures in homebrewing have decent alternatives worth checking out.

I wouldn't be using that pot for a mash tun, if I'm understanding you right (I may not be as I'm only just looking into putting together a mash tun and I'm not very clear on the process or equipment required for mashing). I had thought a bazooka screen could just screw into the inside of the pot-side of the valve. Regardless I do need a bigger pot than I currently have if I want to boil a full batch.

Jo3sh posted:

That's a 10PSI regulator, so there's no way it's 185KBTU - more like 55K. Which is not terrible for 5 gallons, it will just take a little longer to get things boiling. On the other hand, it could be hard to get a hot burner to throttle down cleanly.

Hmm, as long as it'll work it's an improvement on my coil stove. The price seems good, comparing it to some burners available on homebrewing sites.

E: Varying up my grammar so that isn't so boring to read.

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 30, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

JawKnee posted:

Right, what I'm saying is that rather than using 12 lbs of malt extract I'm going to use less extract and substitute in sucrose by weight - which I've read lightens the beer without giving up fermentables. I'm just unsure of how much sucrose is too much.

Up to about 20% sucrose is a good rule of thumb. If you go too heavy with it the wort will be very deficient in nutrients leading to a crappy fermentation, plus it'll just end up very thin, watery and bone-dry.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Super stoked because last night I ordered my starter kit from NB, a turkey fryer, extra plastic carboy and a bunch of other equipment.

Thanks to all that have helped in that process. I'm sure I'll have questions when I start getting my stuff tomorrow. :pedo:

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

JawKnee posted:

No thoughts on these pieces anyone?

Get a bigger kettle. 8 gallons sounds like enough for a 5 gallon all-grain, but for some big beers where you need to use more sparge water (and boil down the wort more), it isn't. I wouldn't get a pot smaller than 10 gallons.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Kegged my blackberry pale wheat ale tonight with juice from berries I picked this afternoon and pasteurized.

Warm flat sample indicates I got close to what I wanted. Nice tart berry flavor, rose color.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 30, 2012

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I just got bit by the homebrew bug after trying a coconut porter. I purchased a brew kit and recipe kit (porter) from the local homebrew store. I have a couple of questions though. I apologize if they've been answered in the previous 160 pages. I only read through the first 10 or so.

1. My recipe says to allow the bottles to carbonate for a week. Most of the videos I've watched say up to 30 days. Besides opening beer and trying it, how do I know how long to allow for carbonation.

2. I plan to bottle the first batch. However, I have a keg fridge and 1/2 keg. If I buy new seals, everything should be great, right? When I used to buy CO2 and beer kegs, my problem was the first few beers a day were all head and I wasted a lot of beer. If I choose to keg, is there any way around that?

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

BDawg posted:

I just got bit by the homebrew bug after trying a coconut porter. I purchased a brew kit and recipe kit (porter) from the local homebrew store. I have a couple of questions though. I apologize if they've been answered in the previous 160 pages. I only read through the first 10 or so.

1. My recipe says to allow the bottles to carbonate for a week. Most of the videos I've watched say up to 30 days. Besides opening beer and trying it, how do I know how long to allow for carbonation.

2. I plan to bottle the first batch. However, I have a keg fridge and 1/2 keg. If I buy new seals, everything should be great, right? When I used to buy CO2 and beer kegs, my problem was the first few beers a day were all head and I wasted a lot of beer. If I choose to keg, is there any way around that?

1. 30 days isn't going to hurt anyone, but generally speaking, carbonation will be more than done at this point. 1-2 weeks is more accurate, but there's no harm in opening up a bottle or two before then to see how it's coming along.

2. Unless you have corny kegs (far left) you aren't going to be able to keg your beer. There probably is a way to do it, but it's too much of a pain in the rear end to bother. Corny kegs have a top hatch as well as dedicated posts for gas and beer. With a commercial keg, it's going to be a pain in the balls getting the one connector off and on again.

Raveen
Jul 18, 2004
1) It usually takes 2-3 weeks from my experience for beers to fully carbonated. Keeping the bottles in a warmer temperature and softly shaking the bottles to re-suspend the yeast once a week should also help carbonation.

2) It sounds like you are talking about a commercial 1/2 keg? If so, those won't work, you need a soda keg and the equipment for that.

Stopping foam in home brewing is about getting your dispensing hose length right. You can figure out that length by knowing your C02 pressure, inner hose diameter, and fridge temperature. Use those numbers and the charts and equations on brewing webpages to figure out the length of hose you need.

I have also heard that the way to quick carbonate your keg by shaking it produces more foam compared to just letting it sit and carbonate slower way.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

BDawg posted:

When I used to buy CO2 and beer kegs, my problem was the first few beers a day were all head and I wasted a lot of beer. If I choose to keg, is there any way around that?

First, what RiggenBlaque said about Cornies vs. half-barrels.

Second, yes, there is a way around it - balance your lines. Long story short, (1) the level of carbonation in the beer, (2) the pressure used to dispense it, (3) your serving temperature, and (4) the resistance your serving lines provide all have to be in balance to get a good pour with the right amount of foam. It can take some tweaking, but it can be done.

If you are kegging homebrew and force-carbonating it, items 1, 2 and 3 will take care of themselves as long as you carbonate at serving temperature and pressure. This leaves tweaking your serving lines to the appropriate length, diameter, and material. In general, you are going to want about five or six feet of beer line for a standard setup, but some rigs need more.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I switched to a 14ft line and my foam problems went away. It's also extra handy for picnic/camping dispening to run the excess line coiled through an ice bath to have it nice and cold all day long even before the keg chills.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Thanks for the responses, guys. I believe it's a commercial slim quarter.

Since I have the keg fridge already, I suppose that once I get a brew or two under my belt, buying a home keg wouldn't be out of the question. Maybe one day, I'll go get my $10 deposit back.

I assume to keg beer you still need CO2? Do you still need to use priming sugar or does the CO2 tank provide the carbonation?

I'm planning to make my first batch on Monday. I think I have everything I need except a wort pot. I'm going to a kitchen outlet this weekend to find a 4-5 gallon one.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

BDawg posted:

I assume to keg beer you still need CO2? Do you still need to use priming sugar or does the CO2 tank provide the carbonation?

Yes, you still need CO2. No, you don't need to prime. I (and lots of other people here) just rack the beer into a keg and then put it in the serving fridge with the gas hooked up. It takes a couple of weeks, but the CO2 will dissolve into the beer and carbonate it until it reaches equilibrium. You can change how carbonated your beer is by changing the pressure or the temperature (although the change takes a while to reach a new equilibrium this way).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I guess a lot of beer people seem to be getting their shorts in a knot over this BW3 video 'making fun' of hombrewers. If you've not seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zM5P5iOKzI

My takeaways:

-I don't go to bdubs for beer anyway
-A commercial about beer/sports bars without sexism!
-It makes the homebrewer look like a crazy mad scientist, which is pretty cool

So, I approve.

Edit: The comments on Youtube are pretty amazing.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 30, 2012

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Sirotan posted:

I guess a lot of beer people seem to be getting their shorts in a knot over this BW3 video 'making fun' of hombrewers. If you've not seen it:

My takeaways:

So, I approve.

Not that I didn't find the humour in it, but it's just one more reason to not go there anyway. I make better wings and brew better beer at home.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I saw a bunch of people getting all pissy about that over on reddit. The ad is just a joke, I don't understand why people are taking it so personally.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sirotan posted:

My takeaways:

So, I approve.

That was great. I love the guy sniffing the star san foam to time the beer being done.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Paladine_PSoT posted:

That was great. I love the guy sniffing the star san foam to time the beer being done.

To be fair, I kinda resemble that guy.

I don't think the commercial presents an accurate picture of homebrewers, but then I don't think homebrewers are their target audience. Whatever. The beer selection at the one BWW I have been in was pretty meh at best. They had 47 international flavors of industrial lager and a couple of hefeweizens, as I recall. People already aren't going there if their goal is branching out in their beer consumption.

So, overall, it doesn't bother me.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Gonna make some bratwurst beer.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jo3sh posted:

I don't think the commercial presents an accurate picture of homebrewers, but then I don't think homebrewers are their target audience. Whatever. The beer selection at the one BWW I have been in was pretty meh at best. They had 47 international flavors of industrial lager and a couple of hefeweizens, as I recall. People already aren't going there if their goal is branching out in their beer consumption.

So, overall, it doesn't bother me.

I think all or almost all the Michigan BW3's are owned by the same guy/company and have Michigan beer on tap. Selection isn't great mind you but there's always at least one offering from Founders, Bells, and Dark Horse at the Ann Arbor location.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

That's cool, I am sure you are right that they cater to the demand they get.

On the other hand, I thought the beer selection and the wings at the Hooters near me were both pretty drat decent.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Hopping question:

When hops are to be added at "Flameout", what does that mean? Are they just dunked in and taken out or do you generally let them rest in there until it comes to pitching temperature?

Normally, I've been hopping my beers with a hop bag during the boil, then taking that out at flameout which results in a hop-free fermentation. I mainly do Wheats and other low IBU things so this hasn't been a problem, but I'm thinking I want to try something hoppier. Should the hops be free in the wort and settle out during fermentation?

Also: Last year's homebrew secret santa was a big success, I think. I think I'll run another one this year, so start thinking about that when making/saving batches :)

Raveen
Jul 18, 2004
I keep them in there until pitching temperature, I don't think dunking them and taking them out would release the amount of IBUs you want.

I use a hop bag that hangs over the top of my kettle. With 15 mins of the boil left, I take the bag and metal bars that hold it over the kettle off, put in my wart chiller so it gets decontaminated, and put my hop bag back in.

Once it gets near pitching temperature, I sanitize my hands and squeeze the hop bag to get that extra wort out.

Most of the hops should settle out, the biggest problem would be hops clogging your siphon tube or keg tube if your dry hop.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Jo3sh posted:

First, what RiggenBlaque said about Cornies vs. half-barrels.

Second, yes, there is a way around it - balance your lines. Long story short, (1) the level of carbonation in the beer, (2) the pressure used to dispense it, (3) your serving temperature, and (4) the resistance your serving lines provide all have to be in balance to get a good pour with the right amount of foam. It can take some tweaking, but it can be done.

If you are kegging homebrew and force-carbonating it, items 1, 2 and 3 will take care of themselves as long as you carbonate at serving temperature and pressure. This leaves tweaking your serving lines to the appropriate length, diameter, and material. In general, you are going to want about five or six feet of beer line for a standard setup, but some rigs need more.

I have 5 foot lines, and I've gotten universally better results moving to 10+, and I only serve at 10 psi, sometimes 8 or 9. Science seems to say it shouldn't work better but it does. :psyduck:

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

I have 5 foot lines, and I've gotten universally better results moving to 10+, and I only serve at 10 psi, sometimes 8 or 9. Science seems to say it shouldn't work better but it does. :psyduck:

I think "too long" has to be way better than too short - otherwise, no bar or restaurant could ever have their cold box more than 6 feet from the faucet.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Jo3sh posted:

I think "too long" has to be way better than too short - otherwise, no bar or restaurant could ever have their cold box more than 6 feet from the faucet.

The guy at one of the big Corny Keg distributors online was absolutely adamant on HBT that 5 foot lines were the best line length and that you should not get excessive foam at that length, but I always get half foam at that length and a very controllable level of foam with 10+ foot lines.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I run 6-8ft 3/16" lines, and I carb most things to about 10-12psi.

I'm also using incredibly low resistance Tygon tubing. Pours are perfect.

Clearly something odd goes on.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Raveen posted:

I keep them in there until pitching temperature, I don't think dunking them and taking them out would release the amount of IBUs you want.

Flameout additions don't contribute (very much) to IBUs, but you still want to keep the hops in there until pitching temperature. The goal is to get as much of the essential aromatic oils to leave the hops as possible without boiling them away with heat.

Usually I actually get my wort chiller going before I add my flameout hops. Perhaps there's a minute infection risk there but hops are pretty anti-microbial on their own and I find that getting the wort 10-20 *F away from boiling allows the flameout addition to contribute even more aroma.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
My buddy has a line that's about 6 inches, just long enough to go from the keg to the side of his fridge. It's like shooting a garden hose into your glass.

I actually just bought tubing to take my lines from 4ft to 8ft. I had 4 belgians on tap this summer and would get way too much foam with the high carbonation.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
My kit came with 2 containers. A plastic bucket with a spigot and a glass carboy. If my recipe only calls for single fermentation, is there any reason I couldn't do the fermentation in the plastic bucket, at bottling time put the priming sugar in and bottle from the same bucket? Or, am I better using the glass carboy that requires a funnel to fill?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

BDawg posted:

My kit came with 2 containers. A plastic bucket with a spigot and a glass carboy. If my recipe only calls for single fermentation, is there any reason I couldn't do the fermentation in the plastic bucket, at bottling time put the priming sugar in and bottle from the same bucket? Or, am I better using the glass carboy that requires a funnel to fill?

Use the carboy. When you go to bottle you'll get massive amounts of yeast and other crud coming through the spigot if you ferment in there as well.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Can someone link rage-saq's recipe page? The newly formed AHA-approved homebrew club I belong to wants to brew a dark strong, can't think of a better goon's recipe to consult seeing all the praise his have garnered.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

Super Rad posted:

Can someone link rage-saq's recipe page? The newly formed AHA-approved homebrew club I belong to wants to brew a dark strong, can't think of a better goon's recipe to consult seeing all the praise his have garnered.

http://www.thesaq.net/beer/recipes/

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Thank you! I hit thesaq.net but there is no navigation there :)

Hopefully the club likes the recipe, I'm seeing a few others tossed around in the discussion but none have the candi / high ABV of Saq's Pious recipe.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I just put an Iconoclast (derived from the Pious recipe) in the beer fridge for enjoyment tonight after work.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
Is it still hard to find the dark Belgian candy syrup? I seem to remember there was a shortage for a while.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
They always have some in stock at my LHBS (MoreBeer Riverside).

They actually just started carrying flavored Candi sugars such as Chocolate and Spicy Thai!

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Thanks saq for doing a beersmith of the Kate clone recipe. Now to figure out if my mash tun can actually hold 24 pounds of grain and 7 gallons of water...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

BerkerkLurk posted:

Is it still hard to find the dark Belgian candy syrup? I seem to remember there was a shortage for a while.

I just got a quart from NB, but it was in a kit (Chocolate Milk Stout) so might pre-date a shortage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
drat,

Ordered my kit on nb Tuesday. It's taken until now for them to pack it up. It will be shipped tonight.

Is that normal?