Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001
Yesterday I filled rock chips, polished out scratches, etc...

Just in time for my wife to back into my neighbor's car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
put my springs on from the other fiat. much better

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 29, 2012

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
My headlights were looking a bit hazy so I polished them up a bit. Washed her up good too.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Geoj posted:

Shooting the paint tomorrow...

Mostly done now, just need to finish putting the rear end back on and pick up minor parts from a pick & pull lot.

Also need to find someone with a Euro upper grille in stock, I forgot what a colossal POS the stock grille is.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

New pads and rotors all around, and flushed all the brake fluid in the Miata.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Geoj posted:

Mostly done now, just need to finish putting the rear end back on and pick up minor parts from a pick & pull lot.

Also need to find someone with a Euro upper grille in stock, I forgot what a colossal POS the stock grille is.

That... actually looks really good in matte.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Yeah, I wasn't sure what to expect the first time I had it sprayed but I was really happy with the outcome. This is JD Blitz Black. The biggest seller for me was the price - a gallon of paint and a pint of hardener were under $100. My father-in-law did the painting, he's been spraying cars longer than I've been alive.

It also is a very close match with the original job, even considering different paint batches and different hardener/reducer than the last time. You have to get right up on the car to see the difference between the old and the new (we repainted about 60% of the panels - both bumpers, hood, fenders, passenger door & quarterpanel, top of hatch and the panel running between the A and C pillars on the driver's side.)

e:

Its my third Euro front end. #1 got taken out by a pile of snow when a plow driver failed to raise his plow going through an intersection (I basically had the choice of powering through it or causing an accident,) #2 was taken out by a deer at 65 MPH. If this one follows the other two its the last one I'm getting - I don't even think I could get one imported at this point unless I fly to Europe. I'm probably going to get a stock front bumper for when I go out of town and end of November through mid-March.

VVV

Geoj fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 30, 2012

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Geoj posted:

drat, that make me miss my old turbo zx3 it was my first car. Also that Euro bumper looks way better than the US one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I finally bothered to put my summer tires on.

Yes, it's almost the end of August. I need to swap new winter tires on, and don't want to drive around on brand new winter tires in summer temps.

At this rate I'll be wondering why RS3s are suddenly so bad at cornering in the snow in March.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Raw_Beef posted:

I feel bad for you with plastic headlights that get faded with time.
Sealed beam 4 lyfe.

More like sealed beam for 3 month or so, then get another one.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Why so often?

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.
I guess the current headlights derail fits like a glove, replaced my old daytime-running lights with fancy LED's in white/blue color.

EDIT: Without rain spoiling the mood.

Gorillian Dollars fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 30, 2012

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Is it just your camera or are those incredibly dim?

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.

EightBit posted:

Is it just your camera or are those incredibly dim?

Incredibly dim, now with the LED's at first it appears to be a bit brighter, keep in mind those aren't the lights used at night which use 55 Watts in comparison to the daytime lights which only use 5Watts each so its a little more economic aswel.
I'll replace the picture when the weather clears up and its more visible.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I don't get these. BMW has lights with those things too, but I don't understand what they're supposed to accomplish. Is there supposed to be a case where this little bitty light lets someone see your car if they should happen to miss the giant chunk of metal they're attached to?

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

Lowclock posted:

I don't get these. BMW has lights with those things too, but I don't understand what they're supposed to accomplish. Is there supposed to be a case where this little bitty light lets someone see your car if they should happen to miss the giant chunk of metal they're attached to?

Entirely depends on where you live and the amount of ambient light, in most scandanavian countries Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) are required by law since 1990 and before, when you start the engine the lights automatically go on.
Since 7 February 2011 all cars sold in the European Union are required to have daytime running lights, usually in the form of LED strips that you have seen on those BMW's for example.

As for collisions/prevention, it allows you to be *seen* on the road more easily, that and in rear-view mirrors you can be spotted earlier in the distance.

quote:

A 2008 study by the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration analysed the effect of DRLs on frontal and side-on crashes between two vehicles and on vehicle collisions with pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists. The analysis determined that DRLs offer no statistically significant reduction in the frequency or severity of the collisions studied, except for a reduction in light trucks' and vans' involvement in two-vehicle crashes by a statistically significant 5.7%

Not alot, but not being part of the 5.7% is still something, depending how much you rate collisions. Source

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Replaced the timing chain tensioner on my S2000, they like to go bad and you can hear the chain rattle from the slack. S2000s are so awesomely easy to work on.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Personally I can't stand DRLs since, here in Florida, all it means is that people go "HURRR MAH HEADLIGHTS ARE ON ALL THE TIME DURR" and drive around at midnight with dim headlights and no taillights.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fucknag posted:

Personally I can't stand DRLs since, here in Florida, all it means is that people go "HURRR MAH HEADLIGHTS ARE ON ALL THE TIME DURR" and drive around at midnight with dim headlights and no taillights.

DRLs are less to blame for that then electroluminescent gauges.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
DRLs are a complete waste where I live: it's either so bright outside that they go unnoticed (glare from hoods and shiny metal poo poo is brighter than DRLs by far), or you need your regular headlights anyway.

jermz
Sep 29, 2008

Fucknag posted:

Or, the other much more annoying extreme - high beams day and night. My poor abused retinas. I hate driving in this state sometimes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Fucknag posted:

hate to say it but that happens everywhere... I see idiots driving around in the dark with no lights on all the time. Then they act huffy and make angry gestures when you flash your lights at them in case they hadn't noticed they were running dark.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

3 1/2 month old mount with about 2000 miles on it... :suicide: Metal part still looks brand new, not even any dirt on it. Rubber looks dryrotted to hell though.

Makes me wonder how the rear one looks, it was replaced at the same time... :ohdear:

I let the clutch out a bit too fast downshifting to 3rd to pass someone on the highway a couple of weeks ago and heard a nice CLANK, pretty sure that's when it sheared. But you'd think it would take more than that to rip a new mount. :argh: Though I think it may have been backwards. And there was definitely at least 1 washer missing when I tore into it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 31, 2012

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

some texas redneck posted:

3 1/2 month old mount with about 2000 miles on it... :suicide: Metal part still looks brand new, not even any dirt on it. Rubber looks dryrotted to hell though.

Makes me wonder how the rear one looks, it was replaced at the same time... :ohdear:

I let the clutch out a bit too fast downshifting to 3rd to pass someone on the highway a couple of weeks ago and heard a nice CLANK, pretty sure that's when it sheared. But you'd think it would take more than that to rip a new mount. :argh: Though I think it may have been backwards. And there was definitely at least 1 washer missing when I tore into it.

Probably been sitting on someones shelf forever. I've heard of folks filling their lovely busted mounts and bushings with polyurethane caulk.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Got a friendly mechanic who's local to my parents to unlock the OEM radio for a CD changer so I can use it as an AUX input.

Accordingly, the radio now tells me that I'm rocking 6 CDs, each with 99 tracks that are each 99 minutes and 99 seconds long, and they all happen to contain the music from my MP3 player :toot:

I also grilled him about tuning the 2.2L and he told me to basically forget it unless I wanted to run high-octane gas. The motor already has good exhaust headers from the factory and a decent intake system. Short of throwing a turbo on it, there's not much you can do except maybe gain maybe 5hp. Sounds like Peugeot did a decent job on it.

Lastly, he confirmed that the speedo going to zero means a faulty speed sensor on the gearbox. I'll have to get it fixed if it starts acting up more than it does now, since the ECU cuts engine power when it thinks the car isn't moving.

I gave the mechanic a contribution to the office coffee pot for the radio unlock and code readout. I'm probably going to get my car serviced there, they seemed extremely competent and the whole shop seemed very well-managed.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 1, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
After paying the dealer $300 to have a new headlight bulb fitted I noticed some fresh damage on the front bumper.

The manager is going to call me back on Monday once he's checked if any of his staff will fess up, but I get the feeling they're going to deny it and I don't have any way of proving they did it. Normally stuff like this doesn't annoy me so much but this is quite visible even from a distance :(

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

dissss posted:

After paying the dealer $300 to have a new headlight bulb fitted

:stare:

What car do you have that it costs $300 to have a new headlight bulb installed...?

The only way I can see that not involving a shitload of labor is if you're paying dealership rates on a replacement HID bulb.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 1, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Geoj posted:

What car do you have that it costs $300 to have a new headlight bulb installed...?

The only way I can see that not involving a shitload of labor is if you're paying dealership rates on a replacement HID bulb.

Dealership rates on an HID bulb, ten year old Nissan Skyline

I know it could have been done a lot cheaper but I really needed it sorted that day and the dealer was the most convenient way to go. What irks me is the damage not the cost, when you pay a premium you expect better service.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
They have videocameras, ask to see the footage.

Geoj posted:

Couldn't be a Beetle because that's too cheap. :v:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Replaced rear springs so my fenders quit eating my tires at high speed bumps.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Painted my chalky plastics. Luckily Krylon Fusion overspray is easily removed with a rag of mineral spirits, goo gone, or a light rain.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Changed the S2000 oil today. I found out you can do everything through the hood.

edit: Now with 100% more image example

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 2, 2012

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Changed out the rear air shocks and compressor on the Escalade today. The air ride system hasn't worked since I got the truck, with a "SERVICE RIDE CONTROL" message constantly illuminated on the DIC. An in-depth check of the systems using a tool on loan from an awesome fellow goon revealed that the exhaust solenoid on the compressor was stuck. So, a compressor replacement was in order.

While researching this, I found that leaking air shocks are usually what cause the compressor to fail. One way to test them out is to spray soapy water on them, if it foams up while the shocks are aired up, then they are leaking. So I went out back to give them a quick visual check.

Other side was pretty much the same. Well, no soapy water test necessary, looks like these bad boys are coming out as well. They look original, and this truck has 175k on it. I got all the parts I needed a while ago, and finally did the installation today. I'll probably get around to replacing the front shocks at some point, but that can wait for now since bad fronts won't wreck my new air compressor.

Old vs. new

Yeah, these were done for.

Compressors

I had to cut the electrical connector off of the old compressor and crimp it to the new one. I put heat shrink over the crimped connections. I generally prefer soldering stuff, but the connectors were already on there so whatever. I assume they did it that way for a reason, so I went with it.

The black cylinder thing on top of the old compressor is the dryer unit. I had to transfer that over to the new one. The kit from Arnott came with a dryer rebuild kit, which included new O-rings, desiccant, filters, and steel plates. Let's just crack the dryer open and see what we've got...

:barf:

The contents:

There was a little bit of very rusty water hanging out in there too. No wonder this poo poo wasn't working. After cleaning (that rust stain on the bottom was ON THERE, and I didn't worry too much about getting rid of it, cause :effort: and who gives a poo poo anyway, it's the inside of a dryer unit.

After the installation was complete, I took it for a spin to see what it felt like and to make sure everything was good. Now, I've never really had much experience driving truck-based SUVs, as I don't much like them and nobody in my family has one. So when I got this truck and started driving it, I was thinking "god drat, this thing handles like rear end on wheels" as I couldn't take even a mild corner at much over 5 - 10 mph without the truck feeling like it was going to fall over. It didn't feel normal to me at all, but I figured maybe that's the way it was supposed to be, it's not a sports car after all. Well, I think I figured out what was wrong with it, and my gut was right - it wasn't normal. It feels great like it's supposed to now, and I can take corners without slowing to a crawl.

Oh, and I had slow leaks out of both driver side tires, causing them to go from 40 PSI to flat in a week. So I took it in to a local tire place, who told me that the rims were corroding / chrome was flaking off, causing leaks at the rims. So they dismounted the tires, ground / sanded the lovely areas, and reinstalled them. Hopefully that'll take care of it, but time will tell.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
New drums/rotors/shoes/pads and a few soft brake lines, one new wheel cylinder, complete brake system flush on my 2000 TJ today. Slight shimmying and pull fixed, but the brake pedal goes down more than I expected it to. I hope I didn't gently caress up the master cylinder by bleeding the lines with it.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!

Black88GTA posted:

Oh, and I had slow leaks out of both driver side tires, causing them to go from 40 PSI to flat in a week. So I took it in to a local tire place, who told me that the rims were corroding / chrome was flaking off, causing leaks at the rims. So they dismounted the tires, ground / sanded the lovely areas, and reinstalled them. Hopefully that'll take care of it, but time will tell.

Did they clean out where the valve stems mount too? I had the same trouble on my Pontiac and the valve stems were where most of the leaks were happening. GM and their lovely chrome can gently caress right off.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I just found out that it cost me more money to change my own oil than get it done at a Chevy dealership. They charge me $60 but 7 quarts of Mobil 1 synth and a Mobil 1 oil filter just cost me $80.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I just found out that it cost me more money to change my own oil than get it done at a Chevy dealership. They charge me $60 but 7 quarts of Mobil 1 synth and a Mobil 1 oil filter just cost me $80.

Ask them how much it costs to put Mobil 1 in. You don't usually get that in an oil change that you don't do yourself.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

They used Mobil 1 at the dealership I took it to the first time I got an oil change. My dad is also best friends with the manager there though so I dunno if he hooked it up or not.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nathan Explosion posted:

Did they clean out where the valve stems mount too? I had the same trouble on my Pontiac and the valve stems were where most of the leaks were happening. GM and their lovely chrome can gently caress right off.

What wheel supplier does GM use because it seems like they are some of the most terrible factory wheels out there.

My mom's 2003 Vibe has paint peeling off like crazy from the alloys. My sister's 2006 vibe has had all the black paint flake off from the parts that are exposed under the hubcaps and rusted like crazy. My dad just had to have all 4 wheels of his 3 year old Traverse replaced under warranty for corrosion.

My 2002 WRX's wheels are fine. I mean, they have nicks and marks on them from 116k miles and 11 years of use, but they are completely corrosion free and the paint is completely fine on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

bull3964 posted:

What wheel supplier does GM use because it seems like they are some of the most terrible factory wheels out there.

My mom's 2003 Vibe has paint peeling off like crazy from the alloys. My sister's 2006 vibe has had all the black paint flake off from the parts that are exposed under the hubcaps and rusted like crazy.

:ssh: The Vibe is actually a Toyota Matrix, built by Toyota with a few GM tweaks thrown in. The steel wheels on the 06 are likely provided by Toyota, dunno about the alloys though.