Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Gnaghi posted:

Oh I'm definitely not riding there, Husky's going in the back of my truck. I was just wondering what to expect from a rain race day.

1600 miles on a sumo is a good stretch, what tires did you have on there and did they last? I'm gonna need to replace the distanzas on the WRX soon and would like to go the "sumo-touring" route.

Oh, I misunderstood. I've never done sumo in the rain, but I'd imagine tires and the pavement type would have a big role in how it'd turn out. Go for it!

I ran Q2s with starting out with 50% life left. The rear is really square and close to the wear bar in the center. The wet season is approaching here in Seattle so I'm thinking something like a pilot roads for street riding, but I haven't researched much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Gnaghi posted:

Oh I'm definitely not riding there, Husky's going in the back of my truck. I was just wondering what to expect from a rain race day.

Sumo in the rain on the track is the most fun I've had at a track day. Start slow and get comfortable, find the slick spots on the track and learn where the traction is. Once you know when and where the bike will want to slide you can have a lot of fun.

Plus you won't destroy tires as quickly sliding in the rain.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lets just step through the ad shall we? I've owned a couple DRZ's and have been around more than a few throughout the years.

• 2006 DRZ400S (SM Conversion) says 18k miles but is actually much lower - Probably true, as the 17's will spin faster at a given ground speed than the 21" wheel will. Still beat him up over it though, and push the fact that the true mileage is unknown.

• not the stock sm wheels but excel rims golden talon hubs - A good thing, the stock SM wheels are pretty great, these are one step better

• Emissions can removed - Overall this is a good thing for performance. Make sure he didnt botch the job though, look for the blockoff plates.

• Dynojet kit - This is a given on all DRZ's not much to mess up here. The bigger main jet listed after this probably goes with it. The extended fuel screw and 3x3 are par for the course on most DRZ's. UNI air filter is fine as well.

• MCCT(Manuel Cam Chain Tensioner) - I dont know why the name of the guy who installed the cam chain tensioner matters, but either way, a manual cam chain tensioner is a good thing. CCT failures on 2006+ DRZ's are really rare, but better safe than sorry

• FMF Full Q4 Exhaust, sounds awesome and loud, BRAFFFF - Find out if he gutted the pipe or something, the Q in Q4 stands for Quiet. This pipe should be a bit throatier than the stock pipe. If he gutted it prepare for it to actually sound like poo poo and not "awesome".

• EBC 320mm brake, stainless line and caliper adapter - More good stuff. Takes what is already a good braking system and makes it great.

• Visual upgrades - This is all of course subjective, if you like them, great, if not, well its subjective. The DRC edge tail light is THE replacement tail light for the DRZ.

Other than that, ask about the Loctite fixes and whether he's done them (detailed here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/939138-what-every-drz-needs-protection-reliability-fixes-common-maint/), if so, bonus.

Try to feel him out on how he rode it, was he a stunter? Did it spend its life in dirt? Does he do burnouts all day on it? Did it sit at the rev limiter constantly? As you mentioned, the DRZ is stout, so what you're looking for is obvious abuse, coming mainly through how he treated it. There are DRZ's that are exposed constantly to the above mentioned things and are just fine, as long as they get the maintenance they need. There are also DRZ's that are ridden lightly but never maintained and are ready to die, so its a double edged sword, just try to feel him out as a bike owner.

What to look for? The engine can be noisy, so if you hear some clicks and such coming from the top end, dont worry too much. If you hear loud or deep knocks, run away. The transmission can be notchy (and will feel downright broken when the bike is ready for an oil change), so if you're used to something like a GSXR transmission, it will feel weird.

As for that particular bike? I dont know what the market is like in Hollywood, and I suspect its a more expensive bike than it would be here in Milwaukee, but here, that is not a $4k bike. Actual SM's go for $3500 to $4000 in good shape. If that bike is in good shape, I would expect to see about $3000 for it here. I would push him on the mileage and the fact that its 10 different colors and so is obviously assembled from multiple bikes/parts.

I would feel good about getting below $3K for that, but in good shape I'd move up into the $3K range. Like I said, these rules may not apply in Hollywood, but either way, theres my feelings on it.

Thanks for all of the advice, I got a hold of him and and first impressions aren't good so I think I'm going to back away. Seems like the PO gutted the hell out of the exhaust so he probably did some other stupid poo poo to it as well. The CO sounded about 19 and I got the feeling this was the equivalent to an abused STI sitting on CL waiting for the seller to wash his hands of the problems plaguing it.

All was not lost, however, as THIS popped up on the thumpertalk classifieds. Spoke with the owner and have come to the conclusion that it's absolutely perfect. Going to see it probably monday and if he takes my fist full of cash I'll be one happy goon :awesome:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, I think thats the first "custom graphics" job that I actually like. Looks like it could have come from the factory that way.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
My thoughts exactly. What sold me was actually looking at his business webpage. He definitely strikes me as one of those people willing to meticulously put a professional effort into what they're doing and I can respect that.

I'd probably be pretty hard-pressed to find a bike that would come with more ease of mind that something isn't wrong with it.
A lot of what can be found Here he did except for the brake pads and gearing changes which will save me a considerable amount of time.

Any 625 riders here know how simple it is to check valve clearances?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Well, I did a bit of a discovery tear down yesterday and discovered that I didn't so much buy a bike as I bought a project. A few things:
  • The current chain uses a clip-style master link instead of a riveted on master link. See next point.

• The slack in the chain seems excessive, but I won't know how far out of spec it is until I check to see if I have/buy a 27mm nut to loosen the rear axle. I'm not sure if I should go ahead and replace the chain and sprockets at this time, or if I can get away with just putting in a proper master-link.

• The chain has rubbed against the rear tire. I do not like this. It has 160-series Pilot Roads which was much wider than 160mm when measured. Even though one of the owners did a "tubeless" conversion to the wheels, I think I am going to go back to running inner-tubes front and rear. Do you guys know which tubes are best, if you can run tubes inside of the Pilot Power 2ct, and if the PP2CTs will rub against my chain? The Sumo guys on other forums seem to be fine with this, but this seems like additional tire and chain wear and something that would not pass tech inspection at a track day. Also, dangerous.

• When I had the rear end lifted and rotated the wheel to clean the chain, I noticed that there was a sticky point. Loooking closely at the rear brake pads I noticed that the gap between the pads and the rotor changed as the wheel rotated. I don't know if this means I have warped rear disk or if the spokes are out of true.

• The rear end in a top hat who removed my starter also removed all of the internal gears (free wheel, etc.) I am going to have to order a bunch of gaskets, change the oil, and so on when I go to reinstall the starter. I also need to test the starter with a car battery or something to make sure it is even functional. Do any of you guys know if the LC4 likes Rotella 5w40 synthetic, or do I really need to run 15w50?

• The owner who streetfightered my bike just cut wires instead of doing a neat removal. This includes things like cutting the ignition lock straight off, wires for turn signals, etc. I'm not sure how hard it is going to be to find these wires again and put everything back together.

• At some point, the threaded holes on the gas tank for the left plastic wing/fairng were stripped out/broken free so now I can't remove those plastics. The bolts just spin in place. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a spare tank for sale-- or potentially investigate getting the 18L tank at some point. This isn't critical, but it's a little concerning.

• At 13k miles I might send the rear shock out to be rebuilt and re-spring it for my weight. I need to look up what the spring on it right now is for. It's labeled "WP 70-260".

• I'm not sure what the smallest Li-Ion battery is that I can run. I've been looking on Shorai's website a bit, and compared specs, but I don't know what the minimum Ah's and CCAs are to turn the engine over and run electrics reliably.

• There appears to be some oil leaking from the drain plug. Does the LC4 use a crush washer here, or is it possible that the bolt is just undertorqued? Something else?

• The bike's still hard to start and backfired when I tried to kick start it. I think switching to an iridium plug might be a good idea. I don't know if the hard-start issue could be related to a faulty ignition module, flooded engine, or something else.

• I think I will flush the coolant system during this process. I need to find a new, appropriate radiator cap and thermostat.

• Still need to pick out some handguards. Are the Acerbis sumo guards worth the money?
[/Rant]

That sums it up, for now. Hopefully.

Probably Hates You posted:

My thoughts exactly. What sold me was actually looking at his business webpage. He definitely strikes me as one of those people willing to meticulously put a professional effort into what they're doing and I can respect that.

I'd probably be pretty hard-pressed to find a bike that would come with more ease of mind that something isn't wrong with it.
A lot of what can be found Here he did except for the brake pads and gearing changes which will save me a considerable amount of time.

Any 625 riders here know how simple it is to check valve clearances?

The tutorials that I've found on supermotojunkie/advrider seem like it's not too challenging (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55445) but it still looks like you might as well flush out your coolant system and all that jazz while you're at it.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Some of that is no big deal at all. Run a 150 and you won't have the rub problem - also tightening your chain will help relieve some of the side to side movement from the chain so that it doesn't rub anymore. The clip style link is A-OK to be 100% honest. Pretty much every dirtbike uses a clip-style unless the owner specifically wants to use a rivet. It's SUPER nice for cleaning as you can take the chain off and clean it way better than on the bike. Installed correctly it should be fine - I wouldn't worry too much but it's up to you. As far as tech inspection it would pass no problem at all as long as the tire has sufficient life. Then again tech inspection at the tracks around here is a joke.

The rear rotor might be a bit off but it's probably not anything to worry about unless it's really rubbing. Don't worry too much here.

The wire issue can probably be fixed by getting either replacement wires from a junked bike online somewhere like ebay or you could just splice in new wire if the PO left you any hanging off the harnesses. Ignition would be my top priority imo otherwise it's not able to be ridden and left anywhere. Unless you meant just the "lock" portion which is no big deal. You can live without the lock for sure.

Any bark busters with the bar in them will be good. Make sure they fit 7/8's bars - pretty much all busters meant for dirtbikes will.

The kickstart will probably just take some getting used to. Look up kickstarting technique if you haven't already. Big singles can be a bear to kick over if you don't do it right - it's definitely not like kicking over a 2 stroke 125 and it can be finicky. Installing the starter can wait a while if you can figure out the proper technique.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

NitroSpazzz posted:

Sumo in the rain on the track is the most fun I've had at a track day. Start slow and get comfortable, find the slick spots on the track and learn where the traction is. Once you know when and where the bike will want to slide you can have a lot of fun.

Plus you won't destroy tires as quickly sliding in the rain.

Well it didn't rain so I lucked out on that. More class craziness though. They created a beginner group but the other beginner, being the organizer, was too busy to race. As a result they threw me in the liquid-cooled mini class which kinda sucked because I was hauling rear end on on what little straights there were only to get stuffed in turns. Also trying not to run over the guy in front of me gridding at the back of a pack of minis.

Looking at my times I would have been better off running in both Novice 450 and Asphalt-only where I would have been towards the back of the pack but not last. From my earlier race I was actually 5th out of 8 in Novice 450. Really what it is is more people need to race sumo so all the classes don't get combined in weird ways.

The upside is I dropped two complete seconds off my time. And since I was the only one in my class I got a 1st place ribbon, haha.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Any recommendations for brand of sprocket, chain, or hand grips?

My current grips were nice and soft, but melted in the Texas heat. Chain needs replacing, but I have no idea who makes quality chains and sprockets.

Also: Chain replacement tool recommendations would be nice too.

Edit: Reading this: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/452329-selecting-the-right-chain-maintaining-it-and-when-to-replace-it/ now

More Edit: Do I need to use a lift for the DRZ or is there some way to use just a rear stand...
This would be for the impending chain/sprocket replacement work. I feel like I know nothing.

Also DID chains seemed popular, and I think I'll go with the Sunstar or Driven sprockets. Hard to find a steel 38 rear, which I think is the way to go for a little better highway riding... 15/38

Resource fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 29, 2012

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Do you guys have any strong opinions on inner tubes? I'm thinking about ordering a set of the Michelin Supermoto Tubes from Motostrano, but I was wondering if there was something better out there, and maybe cheaper while we're at it. Bonus points if it's a tube stocked by Motosport.com and I get an answer before 4 pm PST so that I can try to tack it onto the order I made for my tires-- and get free shipping.

I just ordered a set of Bridgestone 003rs's 120/70 front and 150/60 rear. I went with the 150 rear (instead of the 160 which was the oem tire size) because of the variation in widths I've seen between different brands and even models from the same brand-- I'd also like to avoid added wear to the tire and chain that occurs when they rub.

I also ordered a bunch of gaskets and crush washers in order to reinstall my starter, do an oil change, and replace the oem plug with a new iridium spark plug.

Left on my list are a set of handguards, mirrors, and some sort of front turn signal. I'm thinking of killing to birds with one stone and going with these guards:
http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=handguards
Here's a review showing the mirrors and turn signals:
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?114393-Highway-Dirt-Bike-Handguards-on-a-KTM-625-SMC!!-%28PICS%29

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have never been one to worry about tube brands. I've had name brand ones poo poo the bed in a month, and generic ones last for years.

Any of them will leak when punctured, which is what you really have to worry about day-to-day.

Are those Michelin tubes more technically advanced than the BikeMaster ones or whatever are hanging out on the shelf at your local bike shop? Probably. Will it matter? Probably not.

Just depends if its worth it to you or not.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
The tubes aren't like dirtbike or bicycle tubes, they're much thicker and hold up to heat better. I have a 150 michelin or dunlop (I forget) tube kicking around that I bought for my DRZ a few months back if you want to buy it. It's still in the shrink wrap. I think I paid 25 or 30 for it, so let's say 24 shipped? I really have no use for it right now.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Resource posted:

More Edit: Do I need to use a lift for the DRZ or is there some way to use just a rear stand...
This would be for the impending chain/sprocket replacement work. I feel like I know nothing.

Also DID chains seemed popular, and I think I'll go with the Sunstar or Driven sprockets. Hard to find a steel 38 rear, which I think is the way to go for a little better highway riding... 15/38

I'm running sunstars and a DID chain on my DRZ. has yours had any power increasing mods done? going down to 38 from 41 will take a lot of the fun out of the bike if its still stock in my opinion.
I use an old beer crate as a stand for the drz, just put it under the frame rails under the engine.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

How do we like the Conti-Force SMs versus the Conti-Attack SMs? I asked because a set of Conti-Attack SMs comes out to just over $400, and I'm wondering if the Conti-Force are significantly worse.

Alternatively, what's a good bang/buck supermoto tire nowadays?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pilot powers. The 150s are cheap, and they stick like mad.

I just put some on my DRZ and they're great. All said and done I did two pilot powers, tubes and install for like $250

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Pilot powers. The 150s are cheap, and they stick like mad.

I just put some on my DRZ and they're great. All said and done I did two pilot powers, tubes and install for like $250

I'm running a pilot power 2ct front and a regular pilot power rear and I find them great, very good in the wet too. the dunlops that I took off were loving horrible

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

echomadman posted:

I'm running sunstars and a DID chain on my DRZ. has yours had any power increasing mods done? going down to 38 from 41 will take a lot of the fun out of the bike if its still stock in my opinion.
I use an old beer crate as a stand for the drz, just put it under the frame rails under the engine.

Cool that'll be my set up too :) Thanks.

It does have some basic mods done, jetting and 3x3. Maybe if 38 is too boring (I commute way too much on the DRZ right now) I can switch it to a 39 or something.
I assume the chain will not need to be a different length for 38 and 39 right?

Does removing a chain destroy the chain?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Just pounced on an 06 DRZ400sm with 3000 miles. FMF Ti4, 3x3 mod, jetted, Clarke tank, Corbin seat, rear rack with tail bag, windshield, MCCT.

$3800 from a 50 year old body shop owner, so I think I got a deal thanks to Craigslist alerts. The only thing I think I really have to do is take care of the open vent hole on the gas cap. I'd also like to avoid waking the neighborhood, so I'm hoping getting the quiet core for that FMF pipe does something.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

I'm hoping getting the quiet core for that FMF pipe does something.

If it doesnt, you can always get a FMF Q4 pipe and stick it on the (presumably a powerbomb) header, then sell your Ti4 to make up the difference.

The q4 is supposed to be just louder than stock.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The quiet core has mixed reviews, but its only $30 so it's worth a try.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I ordered a set of Bridgestone "radial" inner tubes. Hopefully they work out well.

A really stupid question: Now that I've broken off the bolt that was welded onto the "custom" subframe on my bike I'm confused as to how the gas tank is regularly held to the frame on KTMs. I can't seem to find any mention of this, so I'm unsure if the tank is just sort of wedged in place, or if on the factory subframe the stud screws down and clamps the tank against the frame.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Found this gem for sale parked out in front of my local grocery store. Looks like its had most mods done, but no mention of the FCR carb. Yoshimura exhaust. Its in Dunmore, PA 18512. Just outside of Scranton and conveniently off I-81.

white 2008 DR-Z400SM with 8900mi -- $4000
http://scranton.craigslist.org/mcy/3233256920.html

If you're from outside the area, I'd be happy to check it out for you if you make arrangements with the seller.

VVVVVVVVV
Should have been clearer. Can't afford to buy it, but I can live vicariously through you.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 30, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buyyyyyyyyyy it, that is the sexiest color scheme for DRZ's

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Ended up with a 39T rear for the DRZ instead of the 38T because they were out of stock. I'm actually happy that it turned out that way, I had been second guessing my ratio change.

So if I don't die on my way home from work because of limb severing loose chains, I should be able to install a new less deadly chain soon!

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tired of having to look at a 50+ degree angle downwards and try to look forward out of the very top of my eyeballs every morning while riding into the fuckfaced sun on my drz400sm. Also wanted to get a supermoto helmet for a while... On the wishlist as well would be a high quality Bluetooth link to my iPhone. Anyone have a setup like this? Recommendations on helmet/some kinda kit that would do this? There seems to be a lot of cheap junk out there.

Also, anyone recommend a bike mechanic in Los Angeles for general maintenance?

soy fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 31, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It's pricey and I have my personal gripes with it, but check out the Shoei Hornet DS. I liked mine while I had it.

As far as Bluetooth goes, check out the Sena SMH 10. I'd probably get the big earpiece kit if I was installing it in the Hornet DS, as it lets in a lot of wind noise. The SMH10 is supposed to be very good at filtering out noise though.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

soy posted:

Tired of having to look at a 50+ degree angle downwards and try to look forward out of the very top of my eyeballs every morning while riding into the fuckfaced sun on my drz400sm. Also wanted to get a supermoto helmet for a while... On the wishlist as well would be a high quality Bluetooth link to my iPhone. Anyone have a setup like this? Recommendations on helmet/some kinda kit that would do this? There seems to be a lot of cheap junk out there.

Also, anyone recommend a bike mechanic in Los Angeles for general maintenance?

I will help you with your maintenance. I also have the afx fx39ds with a sena smh10 and its awesome.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Safety Dance posted:

It's pricey and I have my personal gripes with it, but check out the Shoei Hornet DS. I liked mine while I had it.

As far as Bluetooth goes, check out the Sena SMH 10. I'd probably get the big earpiece kit if I was installing it in the Hornet DS, as it lets in a lot of wind noise. The SMH10 is supposed to be very good at filtering out noise though.

Ordered an SMH 10, pretty sold on the Hornet DS. I've had a Shoei RF1000 for about 3 years now and it was worth every penny. Just looking for a place to get a good deal on a 2XL now.

e- Actually now I'm sold on the Arai XD-4 because.. gently caress it, you only live once. Why doesn't anyone have 2XL for my jupiter head :smith:

ee- Ultimately went with a AGV AX-8 DS as it's the only one that comes in XXXL. My head is enormous. Also it looks like a top gun helmet, and it's not $600.

SaNChEzZ posted:

I will help you with your maintenance. I also have the afx fx39ds with a sena smh10 and its awesome.

Yes, you helps precious. I meant to hang out with you at some point but I'm a butt.

soy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 31, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Put that down. You'll put an eye out!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

I'll see your front wheel and raise you a few inches

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

And it's a black one with the factory renthals I've been doubly bested!

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
I looked at the 610sm that was local and it was a total bust. Engine was leaking oil everywhere, the owner assured me "My cousins races Husqvarnas and they all do it, nothing to worry about..." no wonder he never sent me the better pictures that I had asked for. I would not have minded to much, it's not the frist POS bike I have looked at and passed on, but I drove 2 hours each way to see it (4+ hours total)

I did ride it up and down the street and it was fun as hell, I can see myself with this type of bike. Did feel as little slow, but I was only on it for less then 5 minutes and doubt I was over 40mph.

It's a shame what someone can do to a bike in 3 years, it was just beat to poo poo.

Not pictured, busted rear turn signal, scratched to hell plastics, hole in seat. Can you at least wash your bike before you try to sell it? Especially if you are asking way to much and say you can't budge on the price since you owe that much on the loan...

I found a very nice 610sm on ADVrider but the seller said they have 6 other interested buyers and only want a local with cash at there door step. A fly and ride from Bakersfield CA to Denver CO on a unknown to me sumo it pretty out of the question. I would think about buying it and having it shipped but the seller said they don't want to deal with that. That and it's been listed for more then one month+, so I don't know about the 6 buyers thing, sounds fishy to me and I am not in the mode for these stupid games at the moment.

I guess I'll go back to looking at / thinking about WR450s. Why can't I just by a nice late model exotic Italian specialized semi-racing bike? #Firstworld_problems.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

soy posted:

Ordered an SMH 10, pretty sold on the Hornet DS. I've had a Shoei RF1000 for about 3 years now and it was worth every penny. Just looking for a place to get a good deal on a 2XL now.

e- Actually now I'm sold on the Arai XD-4 because.. gently caress it, you only live once. Why doesn't anyone have 2XL for my jupiter head :smith:

ee- Ultimately went with a AGV AX-8 DS as it's the only one that comes in XXXL. My head is enormous. Also it looks like a top gun helmet, and it's not $600.

Yes, you helps precious. I meant to hang out with you at some point but I'm a butt.

You are a butt! Also, I too have a gigantic head (XXXL) so you're free to come try on the multitude of helmets that I have (afx, gmax x3, suomy). The problem is that I don't really have much area to work on cars/bikes in my current apartment, but if you have a place to do it I'd be more than happy to help.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

spandexcajun posted:

Why can't I just by a nice late model exotic Italian specialized semi-racing bike?

Good Huskys are out there, they just tend to be 450/510s instead of 610s, which are really rare. And while the 510s like to blow up regularly, the 450s seem to hold together pretty well (mine will self-destruct now that I typed that).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

spandexcajun posted:

I looked at the 610sm that was local and it was a total bust. Engine was leaking oil everywhere, the owner assured me "My cousins races Husqvarnas and they all do it, nothing to worry about..." no wonder he never sent me the better pictures that I had asked for. I would not have minded to much, it's not the frist POS bike I have looked at and passed on, but I drove 2 hours each way to see it (4+ hours total)

That sucks, duder.

How many miles were on it, out of curiosity? My PO only managed 1100 between 2008 and 2012. I ran into him the other day, and he was real impressed that I had almost doubled the mileage between May and now.

Mine has a small oil leak around the oil filter cover because dingus over-torqued one of the bolts and messed up the gasket. It's nothing like what you posted, but it does piss on my boot a little bit during long rides. I'm going to get all of that taken care of in a couple weeks.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

That sucks, duder.

How many miles were on it, out of curiosity? My PO only managed 1100 between 2008 and 2012. I ran into him the other day, and he was real impressed that I had almost doubled the mileage between May and now.

Mine has a small oil leak around the oil filter cover because dingus over-torqued one of the bolts and messed up the gasket. It's nothing like what you posted, but it does piss on my boot a little bit during long rides. I'm going to get all of that taken care of in a couple weeks.

Had just under 3000 miles.

So, I am called to craigslist once again and this time he is not a bitch.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3231827868.html

This looks like pretty much the bike for me, heavaly modified bigbore fancy carbed DRZ400 for a reasonable price. Also close by, might give the guy a call and see if I can look this afternoon. My questions is, is such a modified DRZ now just a ticking timebomb or still pretty reliable?

Also found a pre motarted WR450 but no pics, emailed the guy asking for more info.

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3209813460.html

Yamaha or Zuc? I know I said the DRZ was not for me, but this one looks right up my ally. Plus I already have a SV650, so I Iike the Suzuki method. Please don't snipe if you are in Denver :)

I will have a retarded wheelie machine soon... even thought I am a wuss rider.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Iirc the wr450 has a maintenance schedule more on hours than miles. Some people motard them but I'd say the Drz would be money better invested.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Are drz-400s usually good in snow with knobby tires? Winter will be here in a few months in indiana and I'm trying to decide if I should wait till spring to get a new bike and get a truck now or if I'm able to get a bike now and not be stuck in the snow or tan off the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
WR vs DRZ... It depends what you want out of it. The WR would be more fun in the twisties and sumo track, but less ideal for racking up the miles (but thats not what a sumo is for and you have the SV).

I wonder if the WR had the suspension switched to a street setup. I have that setup and it's cushy and good off road, but it suffers on the track. Lots of front end dive under heavy braking. It's not difficult to put new springs in but it's something to consider.

I understand that oil capacity is a limiting factor with legitimate dirt bike motards - don't they contain <1L? I've heard of KTM EXCs running longer intervals with oil coolers to add capacity.

• Locked thread