Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

bobkatt013 posted:

You really mean awesome Bob Finger, gently caress you Bob Kane

You really mean awesome Bill Finger, gently caress you Bob Finger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I really like the art in The Shade, except for the faces. They're just... weird looking in a way I can't really explain.

That honestly is just Frazer Irving's style. His faces have always been a little off, but his art always rises above that for me just because it's so atmospheric and creepy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jim Steranko

Also in honor of Jack Kirbys birthday

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 28, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
All Kirby, all from Silver Surfer: The Ultimate Cosmic Experience:

and the best 8 panels of all time:

loving chills, man.

Anyone who doesn't own that book is a damned fool.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Man, it's easy to forget Uatu used to be huge. I mean, he's still drawn as being huge, but he's always got a giant head on a relatively slim frame. Original Uatu was freakin' jacked, man.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Man, it's easy to forget Uatu used to be huge. I mean, he's still drawn as being huge, but he's always got a giant head on a relatively slim frame. Original Uatu was freakin' jacked, man.

Actually, OG OG Watcher had the space baby build, then Jack Kirby forgot how to draw him and made him swole for a while.

FF #13

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I like how in his first appearance the Watcher is doing the exact opposite of what he's known for.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Happy Hippo posted:

I like how in his first appearance the Watcher is doing the exact opposite of what he's known for.

No, he's doing exactly what he's known for. He's doing the opposite of what he's supposed to do.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Senior Woodchuck posted:

No, he's doing exactly what he's known for. He's doing the opposite of what he's supposed to do.

Has there ever been an event or something involving the Watcher? I think my only experience with him was when he popped up on the meeting to defeat Reed Richards*

*from another universe.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Senior Woodchuck posted:

^^^ Read Fantastic Four 48, 49, 50
I am not suppose to interfere but Galactus is coming so I will try to hide earth and tell you where to find the nullifier.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has there ever been an event or something involving the Watcher?

The Watcher is famous for helping out the FF during Galactus's first appearance. Since then he mostly just pops in for cameos to signify that the latest apocalyptic event is Serious Business.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's also recently famous for getting punched by the Red Hulk because Jeph Loeb is a loving hack.

I love Ed McGuiness but this poo poo sucks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

redbackground posted:

All Kirby, all from Silver Surfer: The Ultimate Cosmic Experience:

loving chills, man.

Well I am no longer a fool as I just bought that

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

He's also recently famous for getting punched by the Red Hulk because Jeph Loeb is a loving hack.

I love Ed McGuiness but this poo poo sucks.

It was Ed's one request if he was going to do Hulk. Man just wanted to see the Watcher get punched by Hulk.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

redbackground posted:

loving chills, man.

I love the sense of Surfer falling here and Galactus' dialogue but what is going on with the city below him?

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

My favorite part about this is that there are all these fantastical locations, and then... "To shopping center."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Darth Nat posted:

My favorite part about this is that there are all these fantastical locations, and then... "To shopping center."

Just makes me think of Thor taking the Avengers on a tour of Asgard, then at the end adding "Please exit through the gift shop" like a Disney worker.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nilbop posted:

I love the sense of Surfer falling here and Galactus' dialogue but what is going on with the city below him?

-Our view is spinning
-City architecture, Kirby-fied
-It's hard to tell if the shots are supposed to rotated matches of each other and Kirby didn't care or if the view is wobbling and we're seeing different shots of the same area. I go with the former, considering he drew them all.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has there ever been an event or something involving the Watcher?
If that framing story from Point One last year ever gets followed up on, then maybe...

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Lobok posted:

-Our view is spinning
-City architecture, Kirby-fied
-It's hard to tell if the shots are supposed to rotated matches of each other and Kirby didn't care or if the view is wobbling and we're seeing different shots of the same area. I go with the former, considering he drew them all.

Pretty sure Kirby didn't care; he famously didn't bother with detail consistency between pages, so I can believe that he didn't care about consistency between panels either. Looks great anyway.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Unfit For Space posted:

Pretty sure Kirby didn't care; he famously didn't bother with detail consistency between pages, so I can believe that he didn't care about consistency between panels either. Looks great anyway.

Was it that he didn't care or he did not have time? He was doing a stupid amount of work a day so he did not have the time to really look over every panel to see that they matched.

Mr T by Steranko

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 29, 2012

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Was it that he didn't care or he did not have time? He was doing a stupid amount of work a day so he did not have the time to really look over every panel to see that they matched.

I don't know if his method of working evolved because he needed to work fast, but I think it was partly his personality. He didn't do breakdowns for the books he was pencilling; he just drew stories page by page as he thought them up, which is why the Galactus saga ends midway through FF #50.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

redbackground posted:

loving chills, man.

The last two panels are the only ones that bother me, because the Surfer is clearly stationary at that point. It looks like he hit one roof so hard he teleported to a second, completely different roof.

The rest of it is pretty amazing, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Internet Wizard posted:

The last two panels are the only ones that bother me, because the Surfer is clearly stationary at that point. It looks like he hit one roof so hard he teleported to a second, completely different roof.

The rest of it is pretty amazing, though.

I dunno man, it looks like he's still falling to me.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno man, it looks like he's still falling to me.
I looked really close at the page in my book, and he's in entirely different positions in the last 2 panels; he's still falling.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 30, 2012

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

bobkatt013 posted:

Mr T by Steranko

Steranko did the concept art for Raiders of the Lost Ark. Here's the first effort anyone took at imagining what the protagonist looked like.

This is from before Indiana Jones was named or cast - Lucas and Spielberg just told him to paint the ultimate two-fisted pulp era world adventuring archaeologist/man of action, and Steranko managed to nail it exactly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, Steve Dillon's art on Avenging Spider-Man #11 is atrocious. I just cannot stand those faces. A page, for reference:

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
In the last panel it looks like someone scooped that guy(Peter?)'s philtrum out with a melon baller.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Dillon should only ever work on The Question.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FMguru posted:

This is from before Indiana Jones was named or cast - Lucas and Spielberg just told him to paint the ultimate two-fisted pulp era world adventuring archaeologist/man of action, and Steranko managed to nail it exactly.

It's almost like he drew Harrison Ford day 1 knowing he was the best man for the role. It's rare to see early concept art being used point-for-point. Even Star Wars had lightsaber wielding storm troopers and Darth Vader looking more Japanese than he did.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
My respect for Jim Steranko just doubled - and it was pretty loving huge to begin with.

TwoPair posted:

Holy poo poo, Steve Dillon's art on Avenging Spider-Man #11 is atrocious. I just cannot stand those faces. A page, for reference:

Wow. They look like they are stoned out of their minds.

It's amazing how he gets work when he only has one face he can draw. It may be fat, old, young, in drag, but it's always the same face.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 30, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I love how Peter turns into Johnny Gat in that second panel.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Steve Dillon does not give even half a gently caress any more. He did his time with Preacher and the earlier Punisher stuff. He doesn't have to impress anyone. Sure Spider-Man whatever here you go where's my check.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Yeah, seriously, you can post early Preacher and it's a completely different world.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, seriously, you can post early Preacher and it's a completely different world.

It's a completely different world to later Preacher, even. Dillon's givafucometer broke about 6 or 7 issues into the run. Which is a great shame, as I've been a fan of his style since he first started doing Dredd in the 1980s. His "werewolf Dredd" belongs in this thread for sure, and not for the same reasons as that ASM page.

In Dillon's defence, though, he's not gone totally to poo poo like some artists do. His style remains intact, he's just not doing anything with it any more.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Dillon's early work on Dredd and the like had a nice 'gritty' style to the inking, but as he went on and got a reputation as a super-fast artist (2000AD lost an entire episode of 'City Of The Damned' after he delivered it, so he redrew the whole thing from scratch in about two days to make the deadline) that level of detailing disappeared to leave a very clean, minimally-detailed style where all his characters have one of about six different identikit faces.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Kevin Nowlan, Infernal Man-Thing #3. No, I don't know what's going on in it either.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TwoPair posted:

The worst part about the hideous Dillon art in this issue is that the writing is wonderful and emotional, and Dillon's art just completely wrecks it. To add insult to injury, the cover had art by Chris Samnee, who would have been a wonderful fit for the issue.

Look how pretty that is!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think a neat book would be "The Faces of Aunt May." She's been depicted as everything from a silver-haired vixen to loving Mother Teresa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

How are the Parkers not all morbidly obese or diabetic? Fuckin' pancakes all day every day. I'm surprised Aunt May's best friend is Anna Watson and not Paula Deen.