Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

eddiewalker posted:

I stopped at Subway on my way to work. The place was empty except for the cute little white girl working the counter. She was super nice. I paid and walked to the door when she shouted, "How you gonna carry that sandwich on that little Jap bike? Slanty-eyed ching-chongs didn't even put a place for their chop sticks."

Totally out of nowhere...

:psyduck: Where do you live, exactly? Rice-rocket or no, that's the kind of statement that in most places would get you instantly fired.

(my little jap bike really doesn't have a spot for chopsticks. It's even a year before the model where they added a little flat plastic box for your registration documents under the seat. So I'm slowly working on a custom one-sided pannier so that I can stick my laptop bag on the side and at least carry something with me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

:psyduck: Where do you live, exactly? Rice-rocket or no, that's the kind of statement that in most places would get you instantly fired.

(my little jap bike really doesn't have a spot for chopsticks. It's even a year before the model where they added a little flat plastic box for your registration documents under the seat. So I'm slowly working on a custom one-sided pannier so that I can stick my laptop bag on the side and at least carry something with me)

Next time bring some chopsticks. Then realize there is no room for them on your bike, and ask her to bend over so you stash them for later.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

For real. I go there pretty often because it's across the street from work, and the girl had seemed kind of flirty up to that point, so I was too stunned to say anything but, "uh... I'm going to strap it to the seat thanks."

Sandwich was good, though.

She was negging you :ssh:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Pompous Rhombus posted:

She was negging you :ssh:

Do you think ANY goon knows what that means?

Wait...why the hell do I know what that means? It's a Mystery. :ninja:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
E/N does :v:

:smith:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

E/N is bad and you should not be posting there if you have a motorcycle.

"Girls don't like me"

Get a motorcycle.

"I'm angry all the time"

Get a motorcycle.

"I have self-esteem issues!"

Get a motorcycle.

There, I have successfully eliminated the need for us to ever go to E/N :unsmith:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
But it's so entertaining when you have threads like this one!

In other news, here's some stupid motorcycle poo poo: Cycleworld lists the new Honda NC700X as the 2012 Standard of the year.

quote:

We’ve picked everything from the Suzuki DR-Z400SM to the Triumph Tiger 1050 for this category in the last five years, so don’t even try to talk us down from this year’s winner, Honda’s new-world NC700X. Even if our highly experienced Eurospondent, Bruno dePrato, hadn’t given the NC a rave review, this interesting, original, approachable and affordable machine takes us back to a time when those qualities helped Honda take the world by storm. What’s not to like about scooter-style storage and great gas mileage in an adventurous-looking package that goes and handles, if not like a sportbike, at least like a sporty bike? For a starting price of $6999 or $8999 with auto-shift DCT and ABS? Maybe austerity won’t be so bad.
The Aprilia 850 Mana has a storage compartment and autoshift. Has for years. I'm not seeing what's so drat innovative about this bike. I've never seen an autoshift system really take off. Do they suddenly think that it will because Honda does it? There are so many other bikes I'd buy in that price range.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Pope Mobile posted:

But it's so entertaining when you have threads like this one!

In other news, here's some stupid motorcycle poo poo: Cycleworld lists the new Honda NC700X as the 2012 Standard of the year.

The Aprilia 850 Mana has a storage compartment and autoshift. Has for years. I'm not seeing what's so drat innovative about this bike. I've never seen an autoshift system really take off. Do they suddenly think that it will because Honda does it? There are so many other bikes I'd buy in that price range.

Isn't the Mana a CVT system with fake "shifting" between pre-set ratios, while the Honda is an actual gearbox?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yeah, it's a CVT system:

Aprilia posted:

Intelligent transmission

The primary drive is the focal point of the entire Mana range. The Sportgear transmission offers the rider a choice of different driving modes:

-Sequential mode: The rider decides when to change gear by using the conventional control on the pedal or by pressing a switch on the handlebars as desired. An electronically-controlled servo mechanism acts on the main pulley which changes the gearshift mode with seven gear ratios amazingly quickly. Only during deceleration, if the rider does not manually change gear, the engine automatically changes down gear using the Semi-Sequential function and preventing the minimum RPM threshold from going below the set limit. Another valuable aid to safe riding.

-Fully automatic mode (Autodrive): the sophisticated electronics control everything and the CVT transmission keeps the engine running at maximum torque speed for optimum pick-up and acceleration. The rider can choose from three different mappings:
1.Touring: for those who want a softer power delivery and minimum fuel consumption;
2.Sport: for maximum performance and quick acceleration;
3.Rain: on wet or slippery roads in maximum safety;
Semi-Autodrive mode only allows the rider to change down gear. This is useful for overtaking at maximum torque revs or when riding down a hill when engine braking is required.

You can switch from Autodrive to Sequential mode and vice versa at any time and in any riding conditions. The handlebar gearshift control can be disabled from the instrument panel.

With this technical solution, the Mana GT 850 adapts perfectly to any type of road and offers relaxed cruising or exhilarating sports riding depending on the rider's needs or wishes

As for the NC700X, it's got a DCT:

Honda posted:

...It’s even available in two versions: one model features a conventional six-speed, manual-clutch transmission, while a second version is available with the latest generation of Honda’s exclusive automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT). Plus, the DCT version comes with Honda’s revolutionary Combined ABS!

Optional Automatic Dual-Clutch Transmission (DCT)
Shift with the push of a handlebar-mounted button, or select the NC700X's automatic mode and the bike will shift itself. DCT has been a huge hit on our other models, and once you ride an NC700X with DCT, you'll see why.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah, but with a DCT can you yank the clutch, stomp down hard, rip the throttle open as you dump the clutch back in and BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA? I don't think so :smugbert:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I like being able to shift why take that away?

Unless you're handicapped or something.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

That's the same justification for the Can-Am.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Because that Honda is aimed at commuters and scooter riders. That it won is pretty.... Something

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

You can still shift, just not clutch. I could be okay without clutching, but then I do 90% of my riding in an urban environment.

I'd have to ride it before I passed judgement. Automatic mode is very unappealing, but clutchless shifting could be quite nice.

I already made my decision on CVTs, though - I sold my CVT scooter after I bought a manual scooter. The feeling of direct a throttle/engine/gearbox/wheel connection is amazing compared to the vagueness of CVT, but DCT wouldn't lose that.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

I've always preferred a manual to an automatic so I'm in the same boat. I've always viewed motorcycles as kind of the last bastion of the manual transmission so when I see or hear of an automatic bike I kind of lose a little respect for that rider. Unless they have some handicapped excuse or something.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'm sure they have some ridiculous definition of 'standard' (esp if it includes a DR-Z and a Tiger) but what other actually new standards came out in 2012? The Tuono V4R?

E: I guess technically the Tuono came out in 2011

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 31, 2012

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Automatic is where you go when you stop enjoying being able to really control your bike or car and just want to get to wherever you're going with a minimum of fuss.

It's sad.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

So, don't buy one?

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Automatic is where you go when you stop enjoying being able to really control your bike or car and just want to get to wherever you're going with a minimum of fuss.

It's sad.

This is the problem with our world today. People either don't want to learn or are somehow incapable of enjoying things, like driving. I remember the first time I told someone I enjoyed driving - really enjoyed it - and they thought I was being stupid or sarcastic. What the hell? Cars/motorcycles aren't just for transportation, dumbass. Too bad people treat them like they are...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I was in the local bike shop today buying tires and shooting the poo poo with the owner when a guy on a scooter rode into the parking lot, helmet unbuckled and no other gear. The owner immediately started giving him poo poo for riding around with his helmet unbuckled, and the guy waved it off. He then started asking for brake levers for a Buddy 50cc scooter. The owner probed a little deeper, and the guy said he wanted a brake lever for a "Genuine Buddy Roughhouse." The owner told the guy that Buddies and Roughhouses are different models, but the guy insisted that the Roughhouse was a Buddy much like the Trans Am is a Camaro. As I left, the owner was walking the guy over to where the in-repair bikes live to show him the difference between Buddies and Roughhouses.

As an aside, the owner's cool, but a completely bonkers dude who tried to convince me that he coined the terms "hangry" (angry from being hungry, which was honestly new to me and for all I know he coined it) and "sorostitute" (sorority prostitute).

Edit: the guy did not ride in on his Genuine Buddy Roughhouse, but some other cheap scooter.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

To the goons that are now bitching about the NC700X being DCT: The DCT is a $1000 option on a $7000 bike. It comes standard with a manual gearbox.

Also, that site is kinda dumb since they list the Diavel as the best cruiser, but to me it looks like a standard. I think they're inventing categories so that everyone can win something.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Wulframn posted:

This is the problem with our world today. People either don't want to learn or are somehow incapable of enjoying things, like driving. I remember the first time I told someone I enjoyed driving - really enjoyed it - and they thought I was being stupid or sarcastic. What the hell? Cars/motorcycles aren't just for transportation, dumbass. Too bad people treat them like they are...

I had a woman I worked with that was genuinely confused when I told her I bought a manual transmission car.

"But why make it harder? I just put my foot on the pedal and off I go!"

"because it's fun to learn? Maybe some day I'll need to know how to do it? You get more control over your vehicle this way too."

"My car goes when I put my foot down and that's all I want."

I guess it makes sense though. She was a lifer in a dead-end job whose only joy in life was church. Her life was (and still is, I'm assuming) spent avoiding any kind of experience that might challenge her philosophically or otherwise, despite the fact that she was actually pretty smart.

Different strokes.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Taco Box posted:

To the goons that are now bitching about the NC700X being DCT: The DCT is a $1000 option on a $7000 bike. It comes standard with a manual gearbox.

Also, that site is kinda dumb since they list the Diavel as the best cruiser, but to me it looks like a standard. I think they're inventing categories so that everyone can win something.

Honestly I don't really care beyond feeling superior to anyone who would invest in that kind of option.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Xovaan posted:

"Girls don't like me"

Get a motorcycle.

"I'm angry all the time"

Get a motorcycle.

Get a motorcycle.

There, I have successfully eliminated the need for us to ever go to E/N :unsmith:

Get a COOL motorcycle. No one wants ride on my spaceship looking on my R1100GS or Ver-sys. My CX500 was way cooler looking. Saving up for a Bonneville or Scrambler. :/

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

thylacine posted:

Get a COOL motorcycle. No one wants ride on my spaceship looking on my R1100GS or Ver-sys. My CX500 was way cooler looking. Saving up for a Bonneville or Scrambler. :/

At least it's not a DN-01 :shepface:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Taco Box posted:

At least it's not a DN-01 :shepface:

Had to look it up and drat, that's the right smiley. What a weird bike.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Xovaan posted:

"Girls don't like me"

Get a motorcycle.

"I'm angry all the time"

Get a motorcycle.

Get a motorcycle.

Did you check them all off before getting one? ;)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I guess it makes sense though. She was a lifer in a dead-end job whose only joy in life was church. Her life was (and still is, I'm assuming) spent avoiding any kind of experience that might challenge her philosophically or otherwise, despite the fact that she was actually pretty smart.

Different strokes.

I think calling driving a standard a "philosophical challenge" is kind of pushing it. Some people have an interest in the mechanics and dynamics of their car, and like having that extra connection/control. Other people just want the box that gets them from A to B with the least possible effort and inconvenience.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Other people just want the box that gets them from A to B with the least possible effort and inconvenience.
This is why I'm strongly in favor of development of autonomous cars, so that the people who just want to get from A to B (who I believe are the majority) can remove their lovely habits from the decision chain and leave the rest of the road for those of us who actually enjoy riding/driving.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I think calling driving a standard a "philosophical challenge" is kind of pushing it. Some people have an interest in the mechanics and dynamics of their car, and like having that extra connection/control. Other people just want the box that gets them from A to B with the least possible effort and inconvenience.

Oh no, I wasn't. I was describing her personally. She was just resistant to any kind of viewpoint that was different from her own.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Did you check them all off before getting one? ;)

Actually, I'm probably the first person to admit that I got my bike so I would have an excuse not to talk to people.

"Sorry, I was out riding. For eleven hours."

"Sorry, I can't give you a ride home. I rode to class."

"Sorry, I can't make it out. I don't like riding at night."

Allows me to focus on studying. And I get to ride a motorcycle. :downs:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Xovaan posted:

"Sorry, I can't make it out. I don't like riding at night."

Riding at night was one of my greatest joys in college. To unwind after a bout of homework, I'd get very lost and try to find my way back to campus via landmarks (it helped that the 9th tallest building in the US was only a few blocks from campus).

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Splizwarf posted:

Had to look it up and drat, that's the right smiley. What a weird bike.

r1200cl

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

I had a woman I worked with that was genuinely confused when I told her I bought a manual transmission car.

"But why make it harder? I just put my foot on the pedal and off I go!"

"because it's fun to learn? Maybe some day I'll need to know how to do it? You get more control over your vehicle this way too."

"My car goes when I put my foot down and that's all I want."

Different strokes.

I'm always confused by the people who claim it is so much more difficult. Sure, for about the first hour, maybe - hell, let's be generous and say maybe your first day. But then you've got the basics down and you can start working on proper technique, etc.

Learning to drive a car was difficult, at first, just was just about anything else you learned: swimming, bicycling, and so on, that you now perform like it's second nature. Same with a standard; after a short break-in period it comes as naturally as anything else in life probably does.

But, I do understand. Some people are just happy inside their warm, safe little bubble and anything that might challenge them or push them into unfamiliar territory is to be feared and shunned. Too bad

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Riding at night was one of my greatest joys in college. To unwind after a bout of homework, I'd get very lost and try to find my way back to campus via landmarks (it helped that the 9th tallest building in the US was only a few blocks from campus).

Hey now! I never meant I didn't ride at night-- I just would tell them I didn't ride at night. :D

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I think I would enjoy riding at night in the city, but out here unless you take the boring rear end highways you run too much of a chance of hitting a deer to enjoy yourself.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

City living is best living.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Except for all the goddamn four-way stops every block. I'm really jealous of Europeans and their roundabouts :mad:

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
After moving closer to the city I realize how lucky I was to be out in the woods. I was a mile away from twisty roads; now I'm 20 miles. Oh well, they're chip sealing everything anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yep I just ran high bridge road and it's almost entirely chip sealed.

• Locked thread