Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

I don't think you can add your own rooms yet. Hell I don't think the interface can support you being in more than like, 3 at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Got mine. Still 60+ spots left!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I found that one of the 'features' in Kaya is that if 5 people mute someone they get banned from chatting. The server is gonna have a lot of growing pains.

RushMix
May 16, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

I guess Seattle is a pretty big place, but isn't it the home of pretty much the only purpose built Go building in the US? Other than maybe some places in New York?

Well son of a bitch... I looked earlier and couldn't find anything in the area, which led to me spending the money to make a Meetup. Hopefully I can get a refund on that poo poo or something.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I recently started playing Go, and I happened to mention it to a guy I just met at my university. He wants to start a Go club, but he also doesn't know much about Go ( Like I question if he has ever played a full game), but he offered to buy all the boards and stones etc. Is this a bad idea, as it will end up a club of bads teaching bads bad ways to play Go?

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

lemonslol posted:

I recently started playing Go, and I happened to mention it to a guy I just met at my university. He wants to start a Go club, but he also doesn't know much about Go ( Like I question if he has ever played a full game), but he offered to buy all the boards and stones etc. Is this a bad idea, as it will end up a club of bads teaching bads bad ways to play Go?

I'm pretty sure this guy wants to murder you.

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I have personal experience with a go club comprised of mainly bad players.

Go ahead and start the club if you want, but it's important that you both realize that you are bad and don't presume that you will always be able to come up with great go strategies on your own. Don't presume that you can "teach" each other the right way to play go (honestly I am 1k-2k on kgs and I still hesitate to give advice to people in my go club because I am aware of how bad I am). Try doing/discussing problems together. Play against each other, record the games and have them reviewed by stronger players online if possible. And importantly, try to play online (again with stronger players ideally) so that you don't lock yourself in to only being used to the playing styles of fellow club members.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

RushMix posted:

Well son of a bitch... I looked earlier and couldn't find anything in the area, which led to me spending the money to make a Meetup. Hopefully I can get a refund on that poo poo or something.

If you can't, just do the meetup anyway. Playing a lot of different people in real life is ideal because playing the same people over and over again kind of wears on you and just sucks if they aren't great human beings.

Also, players tend to disappear easily (finish grad school, stop playing, move to asia etc) so its good to just to know a bunch of people.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

lemonslol posted:

Depending on how large your university is, do it. I did it at my university and then a bunch of much stronger players started showing up (one woman who showed up a few times had been on the pro route for a while in China). That being said my university is one of the largest in the US.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

captkirk posted:

Depending on how large your university is, do it. I did it at my university and then a bunch of much stronger players started showing up (one woman who showed up a few times had been on the pro route for a while in China). That being said my university is one of the largest in the US.

yeah my university is <20,000 students. So I'm pretty sure we will get 10 people tops + the 4 it takes to start the club. But it will be nice playing a game in real life with people my skill level I just worry it will be hard to level up if I can't play stronger players

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

lemonslol posted:

yeah my university is <20,000 students. So I'm pretty sure we will get 10 people tops + the 4 it takes to start the club. But it will be nice playing a game in real life with people my skill level I just worry it will be hard to level up if I can't play stronger players

Best of luck, it can be tough getting people interested in go. Make sure you know how to teach the game very well. Also you can print out some 9x9 boards to play possible members with.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6udlBs0jbs

BadukTV made an english commercial, and apparently they are streaming on the internet too. No more ch-bee for us! Just sweet, incomprehensible korean commentary, all the time~

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

http://kaya.gs/kayags/project.php

Has some accounts up for grabs

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?

lemonslol posted:

I setup and ran a Go club in Fairbanks, Alaska for a couple years. We were just a bunch of low level friends trying to find more people who played, and ended up attracting a strong 1kyu CS professor, an insanely strong ~6dan Chinese research professor came a few times, and two judges from the court house (not strong, but interesting people) played weekly.

Everyone in your group will naturally get stronger (especially if they pick up somes books and play online), and you might even have a few players get overly passionate about it and reach 1dan in under a year. One of the bigger good points is that you learn a lot yourself when you teach other people (like learning how to play decent handicap games, understanding core tesuji and joseki better yourself, etc.).

Try it out and see how it goes.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

So this dude shows up to go club, chinese dude, squirrly looking. Says he's a chinese 5d, but that can mean anything, just means he's strong.

Get someone in who speaks mandarin to really talk to him and he's a 9d on tygem :aaaaa:

Now begins a new age of learning at go club

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Under 15 posted:

So this dude shows up to go club, chinese dude, squirrly looking. Says he's a chinese 5d, but that can mean anything, just means he's strong.

Get someone in who speaks mandarin to really talk to him and he's a 9d on tygem :aaaaa:

Now begins a new age of learning at go club

Sounds like a good get for your club. Now you just meet you learn mandarin to get the most out of it!

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

There was an old Chinese guy at the go club I went to in Chicago. Sloppiest stone laying ever. At one point I played on top of one of his stones because his stone was actually a line over! But boy did he correct me. Sorry dude! Then I got him in a minor snap back and he was pissed so he demolished me. That's my story, now back to lurking.

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine
where da fuk is copen / parker

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

You're looking for parker, I'm looking for palmergggggg

We need a recruitment drive or so

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.
You guys, I am a complete beginner and played through some problems and read some stuff. I took a chance and played online and was surprised how cool advanced players are both in the goon channel and in the English channel. Apparently, metaphorical tea-bagging is against Go principles. This is probably the most civilized game ever.

e: except EGR might be poo poo. Stick with Goons.

RoboBlaster fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 5, 2012

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

as halfway crooks posted:

where da fuk is copen / parker

Yeah, where is that tall-rear end mother fucker?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

RoboBlaster posted:

You guys, I am a complete beginner and played through some problems and read some stuff. I took a chance and played online and was surprised how cool advanced players are both in the goon channel and in the English channel. Apparently, metaphorical tea-bagging is against Go principles. This is probably the most civilized game ever.

e: except EGR might be poo poo. Stick with Goons.

Talking in EGR is never a good idea unless you know what you are doing. You can get banned for little to no reason.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

5k! I hope to stay there this time. Can anyone reccomend any books that discuss the Orthodox Fuseki?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Replay recent pro games - that poo poo is in vogue :siren: right now :siren:

it's the new hotness since so many people will block mini-chinese

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Cool thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyMRGeT_SRI&t=20s

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I was bumming around on Tygem tonight beating up Koreans and a 9d chinese guy challenged me to a game. Tygem kind of rules

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club

Under 15 posted:

I was bumming around on Tygem tonight beating up Koreans and a 9d chinese guy challenged me to a game. Tygem kind of rules

What a great master

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Prodigious posted:

What a great master

Our master will win!

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Heads ups: The Go Master the biopic about Wu Qingyuan is now on Netflix instant watch.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So thanks to this thread I finally decided to try playing some Go.

Some people might be turned off by the fact, that you might be the only person of your rank bracket on the server in some timezones. So the automatch will give you the same opponent several times in succession.

After his eighth loss in half an hour, our pubbie here displayed the proper attitude.

:getin: My only regret is that I forgot to screenshot those resignation popups.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qav4l6ro0p2kjor/tears.zip

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
I'm about to start playing Go for the third time, ugh. Like always that means re-doing the playgo.to basics intro and banging around on Goban. What I'm wondering is, is the book rec in the OP (The Second Book of Go) still a good book to get after you get the rules down? Problem books seems to be often recommended, might try that out.

Any opinions on wbaduk? Seems to be the software/server of choice in Thailand, and I'll be going there soon.

edit: Are go problem paperbacks even needed these days? I'm guessing plenty of problems can be found online.

vvvv fair enough vvvv

moflika fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 13, 2012

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Play games, read books later.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Seconding completely forget about books for now, play games.

Blendy posted:

Heads ups: The Go Master the biopic about Wu Qingyuan is now on Netflix instant watch.

Is this any good? I've heard mixed things.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

surc posted:

Is this any good? I've heard mixed things.

I haven't had a chance to watch it let. Been busy with work and then when I get home I'm busy trying to watch all the movies I check out from work (I work in a library now).

I'll let everyone know when I do. Also I should log into ITGO sometime this week. Miss you bros.

Haoma
Aug 14, 2003
play go gam a lot

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
What would be the best way to play online games from an iphone?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Congrats on the library job blendy! I was just in Chicago for vacation and then work but never ran into you on KGS so didn't have a chance to try and look you up.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Thanks man :respek: Sadly even if I had been on we wouldn't likely have been able to meet up. I had to move to lovely North West Indiana for work :( No more Chicago for me for a while. Well I mean day trips but I don't get to live there.

I'm in ITGO right now. No one is here. WTF guys.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I put the go stones on the go board goban for all you gaijin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Can anybody recommend good Go programs for Android. I am mainly looking for a go problems display.
I tried almost all of the free ones by now.
Until now WeGoIgo lite is my favorite, but it has some minor problems which annoy me.

Has anybody tried any of those non free tsumego apps? Can somebody give recommendations?

e: also, most of the programmer's sites recommend some collections that lead to forests of dead links, anybody know any good digital problem collections that are still being offered?

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 16, 2012