Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Docjowles posted:

Is it really gouging if people are willing to pay it? It's not like it's the first gas station open after a hurricane charging $80/gallon or something, you're not being forced to buy it. Now, I have things I'd rather spend my money on than one $50 bottle of beer and wouldn't buy one. But I don't think it's outrageous that breweries see their poo poo sell for hundreds on eBay and conclude that if someone's willing to pay an absurd amount for a beer the profit might as well come back to them.
Charging absurd amounts to begin with merely because you can get away with it in a booming market doesn't sound good for the long term health of the industry. Beer isn't wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

I got a Love Child #2 from a friend this weekend. I think I'll open it up tonight. What should I be expecting? I've heard it described as "sour" and "funky". I've never had a sour beer, so that will be new to me. The funk part, is that a brett style funk or something else that will be a new experience?:ohdear:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Tigren posted:

You're wrong. Van Winkle is wheated bourbon, Buffalo Trace is very much a rye heavy bourbon. BT distills and bottles Van Winkle, but it ain't the same juice.

Yeah, I read up on it and realized I was waaaay off.

danbanana posted:

Honestly, you may be 100% correct. I've had Rare, as well as every other BCS variety and a very healthy (or unhealthy, depending on who you ask) sampling of other BA'd stouts. And nothing comes close to Rare. By far the best beer I've ever had. I don't know if that was all the time and equipment or just a particularly great batch of stout as the base beer, but it was worth every penny and then some.

Or to put it another way: its retail was 3 times a bottle of Parabola. I would trade 5 Parabola's for one Rare in a second (assuming I had the Parabolas... I think I'm down to 3).

Interesting as I love Parabola, I'd like to try Rare sometime. Maybe now that AB-InBev is funneling them money they'll make it again or in more quantities next time.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Corbet posted:

I doubt it. It seems like almost every brewery is afraid to go through the hassle of shipping directly to consumers except Cascade.

This seems weird now that the Postal Service will ship beer.

bartolimu posted:

Breckenridge Vanilla Porter - Not much vanilla, not much porter. It wasn't offensive but there wasn't much to it.

I wonder if yours was old? Mine (about a month ago) were amazing, good balanced roasty flavors all across the mouth and a strong smooth vanilla finish, I can't wait to find them again. A few of the other people who had it with me complained the vanilla was too strong.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Captain Shortbus posted:

I got a Love Child #2 from a friend this weekend. I think I'll open it up tonight. What should I be expecting? I've heard it described as "sour" and "funky". I've never had a sour beer, so that will be new to me. The funk part, is that a brett style funk or something else that will be a new experience?:ohdear:

Lip-puckering and intense; think like a sour citrusy fruit or something like a warhead/jolly rancher. It kinda reminds me of Rodenbach Grand Cru but better to me since it isn't as sweet and you get mellow bourbon in the background too.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

air- posted:

Lip-puckering and intense; think like a sour citrusy fruit or something like a warhead/jolly rancher. It kinda reminds me of Rodenbach Grand Cru but better to me since it isn't as sweet and you get mellow bourbon in the background too.

To be fair though, LC#2 doesn't have the acetic quality you get in Rodenbach Grand Cru, which for me is a good thing.

edit: LC#2 would probably be a good first sour, though I generally like to point to Lindeman's gueuze (not disgustingly sweet like their "fruit" lambics) for someone looking to taste a sour for the first time - it's readily available and much cheaper than most other sours.

edit 2: Don't get into sours if you value your wallet.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 29, 2012

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Midorka posted:

Interesting as I love Parabola, I'd like to try Rare sometime.

good luck- the BA trades for that stuff are astounding. well, the offers, anyway, as i don't think they actually go through. you're probably more likely to land one for hundreds of dollars on ebay.

Splizwarf posted:

This seems weird now that the Postal Service will ship beer.

I wonder if yours was old? Mine (about a month ago) were amazing, good balanced roasty flavors all across the mouth and a strong smooth vanilla finish, I can't wait to find them again. A few of the other people who had it with me complained the vanilla was too strong.

i, too, find it to be a bland, uninteresting beer, and i certainly wouldn't accuse it of being too strong on the vanilla front.

as for shipping beer directly to consumers, i imagine that many states prohibit that from happening.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

crazyfish posted:

To be fair though, LC#2 doesn't have the acetic quality you get in Rodenbach Grand Cru, which for me is a good thing.

Good point; totally with you on that too :)

e: and for "first sour", I like pointing people to Cuvee Des Jacobins Rouge, but some may argue it's a little sweet.

So how about those fall beers guys? Picked up Sixpoint Brownstone the other day and that was all kinds of meh whatever, especially now that I have easy access to Duck Rabbit's brown ale. One new beer that's stood out was Ommegang Scythe and Sickle. Refreshing and rustic with even flavors of rye and toasty malt. Creamy and easy drinking stuff.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

funkybottoms posted:

i, too, find it to be a bland, uninteresting beer, and i certainly wouldn't accuse it of being too strong on the vanilla front.

as for shipping beer directly to consumers, i imagine that many states prohibit that from happening.

Maybe something went happily wrong with mine? :v:

I didn't consider the difference between "seller to consumer" vs. "consumer to consumer" shipping, so I suppose you'd still need a trustee setup.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Charging absurd amounts to begin with merely because you can get away with it in a booming market doesn't sound good for the long term health of the industry. Beer isn't wine.

Random pale ales or porters or whatever are a high volume, low margin product, certainly. But you can't crank out millions of gallons of something that needs to sit in a barrel for 1-5 years, and sometimes the barrel just goes bad and you have to dump the entire thing for a total loss. The cost of production is orders of magnitude higher. On the flip side, they tend to be higher ABV and stand up to aging better. Sounds similar to wine to me.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

good luck- the BA trades for that stuff are astounding. well, the offers, anyway, as i don't think they actually go through. you're probably more likely to land one for hundreds of dollars on ebay.

Ebay probably isn't an option anymore, as they've cracked down on beer selling. Not surprisingly, I've noticed Craigslist blew up with stuff around the same time...

Rare in Chicago runs about $150 to $200 a bottle. I don't think it's worth that (and therefore don't think any beer is worth that). But if I saw a bottle for under $100, I'd be drat tempted. I do have one sitting in the cellar now.

RE: Love Child. Maybe the most complex beer I've ever had. Super-tart on the front end, finishes like you're sucking on a piece of oak. Everything in between, plus some funk. I couldn't hunt down a bottle for cellaring, which would be interesting. With brett and such in it, I suppose it'd be very different in a couple years.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Docjowles posted:

Random pale ales or porters or whatever are a high volume, low margin product, certainly. But you can't crank out millions of gallons of something that needs to sit in a barrel for 1-5 years, and sometimes the barrel just goes bad and you have to dump the entire thing for a total loss. The cost of production is orders of magnitude higher. On the flip side, they tend to be higher ABV and stand up to aging better. Sounds similar to wine to me.

This (again). The long-held argument about "beer isn't wine" just doesn't work anymore with some of the production methods being used now. Basic manufacturing economics certainly suggest that some breweries have to charge higher prices.

This is- of course- a different discussion than whether the beer-boom (bubble?) can support breweries doing these things in the long run. But for now, people including myself will pay hard-earned money to try their stuff. So let 'em go as long as it works for them.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Do tripels age well? I saw that the place by me has La Fin Du Monde but I think it's been there for ages.

I've never tried a triple, but 4 pack at $11 for a 9% beer doesn't seem like a bad price. Either picking that up or Dreadnaught tomorrow.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
Got to try Deviant Dale's on draft last night. I enjoyed it a lot, although I think as far as hoppiness goes it's about the upper limit of what I can handle in an IPA/DIPA right now. And thank goodness I don't seem to be afflicted with the Summit/onion malady or else that would have been an unpleasant time.

Really annoyed that my car is in the shop today, as the Saucer has a cask of mango habanero Dale's on tonight and that sounds like it would have been really fun to try. I highly, highly doubt they will have any left over tomorrow night but if they do I'll be sure to try it. Tomorrow they have Sierra Nevada Ovila on tap, so I'm definitely going to get in on some of that.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Harminoff posted:

Do tripels age well? I saw that the place by me has La Fin Du Monde but I think it's been there for ages.

A good tripel doesn't need to be aged, but it can withstand it ok.

Also, do yourself a favor and buy Tripel Karmeliet immediately. It is so good :swoon:

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Docjowles posted:

A good tripel doesn't need to be aged, but it can withstand it ok.

Also, do yourself a favor and buy Tripel Karmeliet immediately. It is so good :swoon:

Agree. Karmeliet is probably the best Tripel on the planet.

edit: To continue the fall beer discussion, I cracked a bottle of Ayinger Oktoberfest the other night. Holy poo poo what a beer! I'll have to go back to my local store and get a case. Goddamn.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Corbet posted:

Any chance you guys are going to let people have trustees and pick up allotments/releases. I have family 15 minutes away from the brewery.

Yeah. Basically the idea is that each member gets a locker and we just put beer into those lockers once they're packaged and whoever has the key will just come and get them whenever they want. So if you bought it, you'd just give the key to whoever is close by to come grab them.

I think we'll make an official announcement this week.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Ok, this Lovechild is like a really bitter cider with a bite of tartness and then :aaaaa:smoooooooth and oaky. I think I like sipping this stuff.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Captain Shortbus posted:

Ok, this Lovechild is like a really bitter cider with a bite of tartness and then :aaaaa:smoooooooth and oaky. I think I like sipping this stuff.

Love it!

Boulevard's Stingo... Good English-style brown/dark. Their Smokestack seems to get better with every variety.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Valencia posted:

Really annoyed that my car is in the shop today, as the Saucer has a cask of mango habanero Dale's on tonight and that sounds like it would have been really fun to try. I highly, highly doubt they will have any left over tomorrow night but if they do I'll be sure to try it. Tomorrow they have Sierra Nevada Ovila on tap, so I'm definitely going to get in on some of that.

Saw on twitter that the Dale's cask tapped in 5 minutes. Must have been a madhouse!

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

Retemnav posted:

Saw on twitter that the Dale's cask tapped in 5 minutes. Must have been a madhouse!

Haha, well goddamn. I expected it to kick at some point tonight but didn't expect it to go that soon. The Saucer is generally pretty crowded on my usual drinking night, I don't even want to think about how crazy it must have been tonight then.

Between this cask of Dale's and the Pint Night specials with Dale's/Deviant Dale's/Old Chub/Little Yella Pils at Tyler's last night, it apparently seems to be an Oskar Blues sorta week around here. I would have tried the Old Chub but I was watching my money due to the aforementioned car repairs :(

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Holy cow I love Hebrew's RIPA on Rye. The nose is sweet hinting at caramel, toffee, vanilla, and molasses, with a huge oak presence. The flavor is much the same with a sweet caramel, molasses, and vanilla intro, into a spicy rye and oak mid-taste with a mild whiskey finish that warms the throat. My bottle is from August of 2010 so I don't know what this is like "fresh" but this beer has turned into a fantastic barrel aged barleywine.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

danbanana posted:

Boulevard's Stingo... Good English-style brown/dark. Their Smokestack seems to get better with every variety.

Stingo was the worst Boulevard beer I've ever had. Do not understand all the high marks for this one at all. That stingy mouthfeel came off closer to offensive overcarbed soda rather than lively/pleasant cream to me.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Retemnav posted:

Must've been a small cask.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

air- posted:

Stingo was the worst Boulevard beer I've ever had. Do not understand all the high marks for this one at all. That stingy mouthfeel came off closer to offensive overcarbed soda rather than lively/pleasant cream to me.

I rather liked it, but it wasn't even close to my first beer that night. Time to chill another, I suppose.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Must've been a small cask.

Said 170 served, so I'm guessing the guy was a little hyperbolic on the 5 minutes thing.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Retemnav posted:

Said 170 served, so I'm guessing the guy was a little hyperbolic on the 5 minutes thing.

I've served at crazy beer fests where a special keg had 200 people lined up before it was tapped and we blew it in 5 minutes. The faucet basically never closed. So short of that it might be a bit of an exaggeration.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Random bits from last night.

Founders Dirty Bastard - seriously rich beer, almost tastes like cinnamon. I sort of liked it, but it was a bit hot for that kind of beer. (Apparently they're holding onto kegs of this even in San Diego from the WBC, although Founders is allegedly moving into CA in the next couple of years)

Stone's 16 - This was not something I can say I liked. It tasted a bit like eating a lemon peel, including the pith. Almost no malt to speak of. Not a fan.

Bear Republic Tartare - Berliner-weisse, apparently a new keg of it, and its even more bracingly sour than the last. My mouth hurts from drinking the end of one glass that was ordered by my wife.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Angry Grimace posted:

Founders Dirty Bastard - seriously rich beer, almost tastes like cinnamon. I sort of liked it, but it was a bit hot for that kind of beer. (Apparently they're holding onto kegs of this even in San Diego from the WBC, although Founders is allegedly moving into CA in the next couple of years)

The BA'd version of this (Backwoods Bastard) is a brilliant beer.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

I dunno what it was (and yes I know it's Founders vs Stone now), but I had stupidly thought that Backwoods Bastard was a variant of Arrogant Bastard (which I hate) so I never paid it much attention. Is backwoods a 'fly off the shelf in an hour' kind of beer or does it sit long enough for me to actually get my hands on it?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I'm heading to Purdue this weekend, are the Lafayette Brewing Company or the Peoples Brewery worth a quick stop?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

danbanana posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm an idiot and never made the connection that Backwoods was the BA version of Dirty Bastard. I never liked Dirty Bastard, but absolutely love Backwoods.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I'm heading to Purdue this weekend, are the Lafayette Brewing Company or the Peoples Brewery worth a quick stop?

The LBC definitely is. The atmosphere feels like a slightly dingy family restaurant/bar, but the food is pretty tasty and the beer has always been solid. It'll make a good lunch stop. Just as a caveat, I have a soft spot for them because they helped me get into craft beer while I went to college there. :) I haven't heard of the People's Brewery before, so I'll have to seek it out the next time I pass through the area.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Ubik posted:

The LBC definitely is. The atmosphere feels like a slightly dingy family restaurant/bar, but the food is pretty tasty and the beer has always been solid. It'll make a good lunch stop. Just as a caveat, I have a soft spot for them because they helped me get into craft beer while I went to college there. :) I haven't heard of the People's Brewery before, so I'll have to seek it out the next time I pass through the area.

Cool. I have most of the day tomorrow before my friends arrive to do stuff, might as well drink some beers :)
People's is new (I learned about it from another former student who stuck around in West Laf) and I believe it was started by the old brewer at LBC. Man, I wish I had been into craft beer when I was actually at Purdue hehe the scene seems pretty decent.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

danbanana posted:

Note: when I said it was "hot," I mean it was hot outside, not like too solventy hot for a Wee Heavy, because I didn't get that at all.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

crazyfish posted:

I dunno what it was (and yes I know it's Founders vs Stone now), but I had stupidly thought that Backwoods Bastard was a variant of Arrogant Bastard (which I hate) so I never paid it much attention. Is backwoods a 'fly off the shelf in an hour' kind of beer or does it sit long enough for me to actually get my hands on it?

Depends on where you're located, I'd imagine. Last year the store I went to the most had 4-packs on the shelf for a little while, and some singles in the one cooler for a bit longer. I think I bought most of their supply of 4-pks... whoops!

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002
I may have drank a Bud Platinum today. I just want to say that AB has finally done it. They have finally developed the technology to suck the soul out of a beer before selling it to you. Platinum was slightly malty. Slightly sweet. Slightly hoppy. It was so "slightly" in every category that when I had finished it, my brain was incapable of forming an opinion. No thoughts were forming as I drank it. It is what beer would be if humans had no emotion, no dreams, no desires. It is beer that is wholly unremarkable. Unmemorable. It is what people in George Orwell's 1984 would have drank. It is what Andy Warhol would have painted instead of that Campbell soup can. It is the pinnacle of American Pale Lager.

That said, both my dog and me enjoyed it while mowing the lawn.

FreelanceSocialist fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 30, 2012

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Midorka posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm an idiot and never made the connection that Backwoods was the BA version of Dirty Bastard. I never liked Dirty Bastard, but absolutely love Backwoods.

I actually don't 100% know if Backwoods is just BA'd Dirty or if it's a different base beer. I guess I assumed since they're both Scotch ales that Dirty is the base. I think it likely is.

crazyfish posted:

Is backwoods a 'fly off the shelf in an hour' kind of beer or does it sit long enough for me to actually get my hands on it?

It's kind of hard to find. I think last year I ran into 3 or 4 4-packs and bought at least 3. Definitely one of those things that doesn't last on a Binny's shelf but the smaller places might have them a while longer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Angry Grimace posted:

Note: when I said it was "hot," I mean it was hot outside, not like too solventy hot for a Wee Heavy, because I didn't get that at all.

Ah. Yeah, when you said hot, I thought you meant boozy. Hence the "wait til you try the BA'd version!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Stone's 16 - Almost no malt to speak of.

I'm a bit surprised to hear this. The beer has a spicy rye malt character for me.