Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

KY's Medicaid is limited to those earning $217 a month, AND less than $2000 in "resources".

My father-in-law got approved for SSI disability for a bleeding disorder, and got about $15k in back-dated benefits (about 2 years worth) from the time of the application.

BUT, in order to qualify for Medicaid, he couldn't have more than 2K in the bank. So he was basically forced to spend that money in order to get Medicaid coverage. Never mind he couldn't actual work, or that he already had ~$50k in unpaid medical bills - he was too rich for assistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm trying to conceive living off $218/month and I can't imagine its possible without being homeless.

Some states actually use your assets instead of or in addition to your income, so things like having money in the bank or owning a car can prevent you from getting Medicaid.

EDIT: ^ Yeah, what he said!

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Parachute posted:

I think it's funny that states like mine (Texas) are pretty much refusing to go along with this, hoping that ACA will be overturned. Not to mention that not only are we losing tons of federal assistance, it also means that the state is forgoing its right to set up its own "insurance exchanges" or whatever they are calling that and the federal government will step in and do it on their own when the time comes.

I'm not off base with this, right?

Several counties within Texas are trying to get the Federal money in spite of the what the state legislature says.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...06_story_1.html

I'm sure the "state's rights" folks won't like that one bit though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Crackbone posted:

KY's Medicaid is limited to those earning $217 a month, AND less than $2000 in "resources".

My father-in-law got approved for SSI disability for a bleeding disorder, and got about $15k in back-dated benefits (about 2 years worth) from the time of the application.

BUT, in order to qualify for Medicaid, he couldn't have more than 2K in the bank. So he was basically forced to spend that money in order to get Medicaid coverage. Never mind he couldn't actual work, or that he already had ~$50k in unpaid medical bills - he was too rich for assistance.

Same with Idaho!

quote:

Adult health coverage also has a limit on the value of assets, such as bank accounts, vehicles, and real estate. The Medicaid for Workers with Disabilities coverage group has higher income and resource limits so that many disabled workers under the age of 65 can qualify for health coverage.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Crackbone posted:

How the hell are you supposed to spend the money and not buy anything, if possesions can count as your resources. You have to blow the money on non property things? gently caress the poor haters.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Amused to Death posted:

Oddly enough, I can buy that sushi, but I can't buy a rotisserie chicken for almost the same price that would be dinner for 3 people because it's "hot food", despite the fact both are prepared and ready to eat.

Publix actually has a loophole regarding that. They take a certain amount of chicken, package it in plastic containers and put it in the cooler section of the deli. Now you can buy all the premade chicken you want with EBT.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bombadilillo posted:

How the hell are you supposed to spend the money and not buy anything, if possesions can count as your resources. You have to blow the money on non property things? gently caress the poor haters.

Even now I don't have a concrete answer on what "resources" count as (didn't handle most of the details for him). But money in the bank definitely counts.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Hey, I finally got the last word in on something. (I'm in green.) Ignoring the fact that the Constitution does, in fact, assign powers of taxation to the government.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
The requirements are so ridiculous that the only way you can meet them and still survive is to cheat. Give your money to a friend for a while, so they can't count it as yours. This is what my mom has to do. List someone as living with you, when they don't, otherwise they'll say that $400 a month is too much for a family of 4. List someone else who is living with you as not, otherwise they'll say you have too many income earners.

This stuff, by the way, is largely the effect of Clinton's "Workfare" reforms of the 90's.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

The Macaroni posted:

Hey, I finally got the last word in on something. (I'm in green.) Ignoring the fact that the Constitution does, in fact, assign powers of taxation to the government.

To be fair, the 16th came after Madison died.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
True, but that means that the missing next panel of the comic is Obama saying, "Good thing we were able to amend the thing later on, huh? Otherwise the Federal government would've fallen apart once it quit selling land to generate revenue."

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ratbert90 posted:

edit* Please don't give them ideas. :smith:
Good point, I'll shut up. :smithicide:

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Another thing I saw shared from "Being a liberal means being a hypocrite." I take personal offense, because I have a big crush on Sandra Fluke.

I respond:

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Mia Love is an accomplished individual, but that doesn't mean Sandra Fluke isn't.

By age 30, Sandra Fluke has two degrees from Cornell, is working on a law degree from Georgetown, and worked for several years at a domestic violence shelter. She is engaged to be married and has become a prominent voice in the Democratic party. That's certainly more than I've done so far.

The person she was talking about who needed $100 of birth control a month needed it to treat ovarian cysts. Limbaugh twisted this into her saying she herself (not her friend) has had to pay $3000 for birth control because she has so much sex. It was a blatant lie on Rush's part, plus that's not even how birth control works. Rush was essentially calling her friend (who is a lesbian, and thus doesn't even need birth control) a slut for needing expensive medication that the university refused to cover.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

zeroprime posted:

Just remind him that the Republicans gladly stole all the racist votes from the Democrats during the civil rights movement, and that the racist vote is the only thing keeping them in power anymore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

Anyone have that pro-union comic where the boss keeps telling each of the rail workers one by one that they're a great worker, not like that lazy [guy he just talked to last]. I'm not sure if it was a Mr. Block one or not. That would also be a good response.

Yeah there's no reasoning with someone that believes the slaves where freed in the 60's.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Being elected to a city council in a city of 17,000 people isn't exactly hard either. In my old town(of 14,000), most people running would in fact be elected, heck you'd inadvertently have to also vote for the party you didn't even want, since you had to choose 9 people for the town council and there weren't that many Democrats or Republicans running.

e: Not to poo poo on Mia's success, I'm just saying, it's not exactly a hard thing to do, in fact I would say it's easier than obtaining two degrees and then working on a third from one of the nation's most respect law universities.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 30, 2012

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

madlobster posted:

As the law is written, the subsidies are only for people making between 100% and 400% of the poverty line, with people under 133% eligible for medicaid. If the states don't expand medicaid, only people making between 100% and 133% will be caught by PPACA.

If they make less than 100% FPL, their subsidies are calculated as if their income was 100% FPL. So they should still be able to get insurance that I described. Though if you only earn 50% FPL, it might still be too expensive.

Parachute posted:

I think it's funny that states like mine (Texas) are pretty much refusing to go along with this, hoping that ACA will be overturned. Not to mention that not only are we losing tons of federal assistance, it also means that the state is forgoing its right to set up its own "insurance exchanges" or whatever they are calling that and the federal government will step in and do it on their own when the time comes.

I'm not off base with this, right?

You're correct. The Federal government will setup and run them as the Federal Government sees fit. The thing here is that this actually takes away a means for the State to control abortions further. PPACA has a clause that requires every State's Exchange must contain at least one insurance plan which does not cover abortions. However, there's no requirement to have at least one plan which does. So Texas or SC or GA could set up their Exchange such that NO plans cover abortion. But they're leaving it to the Feds instead. They're being offered STATES RITES and making GBS threads all over it just to spite Obama. The only real reason for it is to rally the conservative base, because there's no actual benefit for them to refuse.

Nikki Haley, of SC, is trying to block the Federal Government from setting up their Exchange in SC. Instead she wants to allow the Insurance companies in SC to run their own Exchange, without any of those pesky "minimum requirements". Unfortunately for her, I don't think she's aware of the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

XyloJW posted:

The requirements are so ridiculous that the only way you can meet them and still survive is to cheat. Give your money to a friend for a while, so they can't count it as yours. This is what my mom has to do. List someone as living with you, when they don't, otherwise they'll say that $400 a month is too much for a family of 4. List someone else who is living with you as not, otherwise they'll say you have too many income earners.

Yeah, it's set up this way so that they can deny the benefits to as many people as possible and have plausible legal backing for claims that people are "cheating the system", all while still sucking up as much federal funds as possible.

I would think it's actually pretty close to impossible for the government to track your assets, though. Unless I'm grossly uninformed and the panopticon is upon us, the government relies on self-reporting to determine your assets. I don't think they can look into your bank account without a warrant, if they even had a way of finding out which bank you keep your money in without you telling them.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Replies on the original thread are like "Sandra keep your legs shut!" and "Birth control only costs $9/mo!" My wife urges me to stop debating online because I get nowhere. Maybe I'll run for city council instead.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Another thing I saw shared from "Being a liberal means being a hypocrite." I take personal offense, because I have a big crush on Sandra Fluke.

I respond:
According to this graphic, that lady on the left (Mia Love) married two kids. That's polygamy, possibly statutory rape was involved, and it's all pretty disgusting if you ask me. (Why do these things so often have terrible text layout?)

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Amused to Death posted:

e: Not to poo poo on Mia's success, I'm just saying, it's not exactly a hard thing to do, in fact I would say it's easier than obtaining two degrees and then working on a third from one of the nation's most respect law universities.
Uh, no. She got married and has two kids. Two!! That's way harder than demanding the government give you free stuff. Think of the skill required to get married. And then to have two kids! The dedication, the tenacity. It's impressive.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

edit* Please don't give them ideas. :smith:

Some (many) States will already take a woman's child support checks if she's on TANF. And other sources of assistance, like TANF or SSDI reduce your SNAP benefits.

Armyman25 posted:

Several counties within Texas are trying to get the Federal money in spite of the what the state legislature says.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...06_story_1.html

I'm sure the "state's rights" folks won't like that one bit though.

Thanks for posting this. I hope they succeed.

When I first saw that picture of Mia and Sandra, I read it as she was "married to kids".

edit: beaten

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Replies on the original thread are like "Sandra keep your legs shut!" and "Birth control only costs $9/mo!" My wife urges me to stop debating online because I get nowhere. Maybe I'll run for city council instead.

As someone who is Facebook friends with you in real life (and by extention most of your friends), i've gotta tell you: I went through and did a huge purge of my Facebook friends a couple of weeks ago, deleting the worst offenders and setting all the right-wing idiots i'm friends with as invisible on my wall. It's done wonders for my overall well-being.

I kind of want to find whoever posted that picture and laugh at them, though.

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 30, 2012

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So someone "Liked" Mitt Romney in my Facebook wall, and the "also liked" was a whopping six people. Lucky me, I guess.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I need to start purging people from my list. Every "JESUS SAVES THANK GOD FOR THIS BEAUTIFUL DAY" post linked with a fetus en utero and "PRO LIFE AND PROUD" from my mom's coworkers makes me cringe and want to cry.

I did get a talking to from my dad about this whole wealth thing. I didn't mention the tax or his SCUBA or anything, just that the other day I was at the dollar store and saw a homeless guy with a cardboard sign asking for food. I had to pick up produce and stuff anyway, and grabbed an extra loaf of bread and a bag of apples. You'd think I gave the dude a hundred bucks from how much he thanked me. A half dozen red apples and a loaf of bread was enough for that. And my dad, who has never been hungry a day in his life, snapped that the guy was probably faking it, because everyone KNOWS that people pretend to be homeless to get money and blow on drugs.

(oh, Dad, like your son, right?)

I tried to point out that it was two goddamn dollars I gave away; when I bought lottery tickets I spent three or four times that. And technically I'm 'wasting' money anyway buying apples and lettuce for the tortoises; they can eat grass! (and yes they can, but they need more than that)

Then again, daddy is still bitter that his wife lost her well-paying real estate job after the boom and bust and now works in a hospital. The reason she lost her job, he told me, is that her coworkers and boss got pissed at her always going away for two-week long vacations to Australia or Mexico, and she'd bring back tons of photos of all the expensive places they'd stay or eat at. Jealous people fired her. Which may be true. But dad, love, you have to admit, she sure as poo poo didn't need that job as much as everyone else when you two paid CASH for new cars and paid them off that day, and took vacations literally every few months.

Besides, I like to imagine the Oliver Twist Karma might kick in one day: the poor guy I helped once, and who the gently caress cares if he eats the apples or gives them to birds or trades them for a blowjob, might be the one helping me some day.

But gently caress the poor, right? I seriously wish everyone had to volunteer at a soup kitchen or homeless shelter for a year.

edit: Has anyone else got the email about how Romney's tax break horse actually pays for far more than the tax refund? All the people that build the stables, feed the horse, shoe the horse, brush the horse, and all of their families benefit from this single animal! I swear the email says it's the second coming of Christ from how much this single Elmer's Glue escapee has fed people.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 30, 2012

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003

Sarion posted:

If they make less than 100% FPL, their subsidies are calculated as if their income was 100% FPL. So they should still be able to get insurance that I described. Though if you only earn 50% FPL, it might still be too expensive.

Do you have a source for that? Everything I've read so far seems to say otherwise.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Dr Christmas posted:

So someone "Liked" Mitt Romney in my Facebook wall, and the "also liked" was a whopping six people. Lucky me, I guess.

Only two people out of 200 on mine liked Mitt Romney, one may or may not be doing it ironically

Connecticut :toot:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Six on mine. Three of them I expected, as they're die-hard "I LOVE BEING REPUBLICAN" family. One I was kind of surprised, but she's generally a-political, so no idea what's up there. The other two are young, gay, socially liberal, and otherwise uninterested in politics, so I have to assume they have no idea what Romney's about. I'll need to talk to them.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Cowslips Warren posted:

And my dad, who has never been hungry a day in his life, snapped that the guy was probably faking it, because everyone KNOWS that people pretend to be homeless to get money and blow on drugs.

(oh, Dad, like your son, right?)

Sorry your dad is such a jerk. My mom and stepdad are the same and it takes every ounce of will to keep from vomiting out a screaming tirade whenever they start telling me about what the poors are really up to.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm glad that I generally agree with my parents politically. My mom still harps on the "FIX THE WELFARE FRAUD" thing way too much. My aunt recently got approved for disability, and she says that EACH KID GETS A CHECK UNTIL THEY ARE 18 :supaburn: (they have 3 kids)

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

zeroprime posted:

Just remind him that the Republicans gladly stole all the racist votes from the Democrats during the civil rights movement, and that the racist vote is the only thing keeping them in power anymore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

Anyone have that pro-union comic where the boss keeps telling each of the rail workers one by one that they're a great worker, not like that lazy [guy he just talked to last]. I'm not sure if it was a Mr. Block one or not. That would also be a good response.

The idea that unions were created as a racist measure to protect white workers from non-white laborers is so loving wrong and offensive that I literally want to punch that person in the face. This person honestly doesn't think that unionization was due to rampant child labor, dangerous working conditions (black lung, the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire, etc.), exploitative practices like company towns and stores, low pay, lack of job security, or any other abuse of labor by management and owners?

The Macaroni posted:

Actually, the federal government had the power to tax prior to the 16th Amendment, even income taxes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16th_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Wikipedia on the Sixteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution posted:

Article I, Section 2, Clause 3:

Representatives and direct taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers...[1]

Article I, Section 8, Clause 1:

The Congress shall have Power to lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States.

Article I, Section 9, Clause 4:

No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in proportion to the Census or Enumeration herein before directed to be taken.

This clause basically refers to a tax on property, such as a tax based on the value of land,[2] as well as a capitation.

What the 16th Amendment did was change the Constitution so that the government would no longer have to directly distribute income or other direct taxes back to the states on the basis of population.

The Sixteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution posted:

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

So, the Constitution actually authorizes the government to collect various kinds of taxes, both indirect and direct, it's just that prior to the 16th Amendment, it was stricter about what the government could do with direct taxes and forced it to apportion the revenues back to the states based on population rather than spending the money itself. Thus, the canard that the Founders and the Constitution didn't allow for taxes or "redistribution of wealth" or some other bullshit is completely wrong and requires either willful ignorance of history and the Constitution or intentional lying in order to believe in them.

The funny thing is, without the 16th Amendment, most income tax revenues would go to the states with the highest populations, not to those who necessarily need it the most. This is ironic because it's only conservatives who are against the 16th Amendment and income taxes, but red states are far more likely to currently be net takers of federal funds and have lower populations (e.g. both Dakotas, Montana, Alaska, etc.), so these conservatives would likely be the ones losing out in terms of funds if the 16th Amendment were repealed or never existed. Conversely, California, Illinois, and New York are net givers of federal funds and are relatively large in population, but the loss of the 16th Amendment would be a boon for them in terms of federal funding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_population

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

I respond:

But it's not "forcing the school to pay for her birth control," it's the government requiring the school's insurer to cover oral hormonal contraceptives without copays, deductibles, or coinsurance costs for the patient. It doesn't cover all birth control (e.g. condoms are not covered), but, more importantly, it's actually a cost-saving measure because it's far easier and cheaper to treat conditions like ovarian cysts with birth control pills than to perform surgery to remove ovaries once they've been damaged beyond repair by the cysts, as well as being cheaper than pregnancy and delivery in a hospital.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Then again, daddy is still bitter that his wife lost her well-paying real estate job after the boom and bust and now works in a hospital. The reason she lost her job, he told me, is that her coworkers and boss got pissed at her always going away for two-week long vacations to Australia or Mexico, and she'd bring back tons of photos of all the expensive places they'd stay or eat at. Jealous people fired her. Which may be true. But dad, love, you have to admit, she sure as poo poo didn't need that job as much as everyone else when you two paid CASH for new cars and paid them off that day, and took vacations literally every few months.

Um, does he ever consider that she was fired due to a combination of a housing bubble bust and her constantly taking long vacations? I know that if I had a business in a terrible industry like housing, one of the first people I'd fire is the one who's always on long vacations rather than working, especially if they're paid vacations. Who the gently caress would want to keep an employee who seems to care more about vacationing than working? I'm totally in favor of employers providing paid time off, but I also realize that it's not necessarily something employers like or want to do, so I also understand that it's stupid to infer jealousy over vacations as a motive for firing rather than the employer simply being annoyed by the frequency of those vacations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Crackbone posted:

Yeah, I was just about to post that. It's loving 2012 - if you want something better than entry-level food service positions, chances are having Internet access/smartphone is going immensely help if not be outright required. Half the job postings I see are online-only anymore.

If you want entry-level food service positions you need Internet access.

The following jobs do not or may not require Internet access:

Placements/interviews arranged by government agencies, nonprofits, or temp agencies.

Jobs at small businesses run by crazy old Luddites.

Jobs with small local governments which require application in person or by mail...but only if you manage to find out about them without the Internet, because that's still how they advertise.

I volunteered at a public library where a LOT of people went for their only Internet access. Some of them came 40 miles, bumming rides. IIRC, it was an hour a day if the place was busy. That's enough to apply for MAYBE one job, and it isn't enough if you don't know what you're doing. There were people who I taught to look for work online, where I had to show them every step starting with "this is how you use a mouse."

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 31, 2012

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I've been watching past Daily Shows on Hulu to catch up. Every show I see Romney's ad that says Obama cut the work requirements from welfare, which is like 99% false and 1% totally misleading.

It's awful and it makes me cringe, but my question is why are they running it on the Daily Show? Surely advertisers get to pick what kind of shows their ads get run on if not the show specifically (I have no idea how advertising works)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

If you want entry-level food service positions you need Internet access.

The following jobs do not or may not require Internet access:

Placements/interviews arranged by government agencies, nonprofits, or temp agencies.

Jobs at small businesses run by crazy old Luddites.

Jobs with small local governments which require application in person or by mail...but only if you manage to find out about them without the Internet, because that's still how they advertise.

I volunteered at a public library where a LOT of people went for their only Internet access. Some of them came 40 miles, bumming rides. IIRC, it was an hour a day if the place was busy. That's enough to apply for MAYBE one job, and it isn't enough if you don't know what you're doing. There were people who I taught to look for work online, where I had to show them every step starting with "this is how you use a mouse."

It certainly doesn't help that many retail companies have ridiculously long application processes online with hundreds of strongly/weakly agree/disagree questions.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Your information was great, but I wanted to point out some potential problems with that infographic - mostly, it's from data from 2005 when there were more red states since the graphic is based on how they voted during the presidential election.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/jan/26/blog-posting/red-state-socialism-graphic-says-gop-leaning-state/

Not that it makes it any less true, just that it would be wise to use caution with how that information is presented. I would love to see a new one made up with more recent data.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

myron cope posted:

I've been watching past Daily Shows on Hulu to catch up. Every show I see Romney's ad that says Obama cut the work requirements from welfare, which is like 99% false and 1% totally misleading.

It's awful and it makes me cringe, but my question is why are they running it on the Daily Show? Surely advertisers get to pick what kind of shows their ads get run on if not the show specifically (I have no idea how advertising works)

I'm guessing The Daily Show viewers are in a demographic (young/college aged?) where they're considered swing votes. There's no point advertising to people who are already sure things and on your side. I'm guessing money is money to Comedy Central, no matter who's doing the advertising. Hell, I'm pretty sure I've seen vibrator ads during The Daily Show.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Your information was great, but I wanted to point out some potential problems with that infographic - mostly, it's from data from 2005 when there were more red states since the graphic is based on how they voted during the presidential election.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/jan/26/blog-posting/red-state-socialism-graphic-says-gop-leaning-state/

Not that it makes it any less true, just that it would be wise to use caution with how that information is presented. I would love to see a new one made up with more recent data.

I'm already aware of that and other criticisms, e.g. presidential voting in a single year isn't necessarily the best indicator of political ideology, especially since there are other measures as easily obtainable, such as voting for Senators and Congresspeople, but I'm not really willing to put in more work than what I've already done.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Got another one from my idiot brother in law yesterday:

My Retarded Brother In Law posted:

shared No Lib Service's photo.

Like · · Unfollow Post · Share · 10 hours ago ·
6 people like this.

Natas Dog posted:

I too can read the minds of men who lived more than two centuries ago, and they said "Holy crap, what are these fast moving metal carriages and why are people talking into small bricks as if someone is listening to them; also, who let all the slaves run free off their plantations?????"
a few seconds ago · Edited · Like
This is after we'd had a long discussion about how the Chevy Volt is supposedly a safety hazard on accident scenes because first responders can get electrocuted. As if the risk of electrocution is somehow just too much considering all the other dangerous things that can happen like car fires, airbag precharger explosions, or even the just as unlikely chance of a gas tank explosion.

E; Actually had a second person enter the debate, and amazingly he's not one of the 6 who liked my brother in law's initial post!

New Guy posted:

Care to elaborate, or are we just throwing things out there with no substance or facts to back it up?

Hey watch this: The Romney administration would be the government our founding fathers tried to prevent.

Bam!
22 minutes ago · Like

Natas Dog posted:

That was more or less my point. The founding fathers had no idea half of the things we take for granted in our society would or could exist when they wrote the constitution, that's why it's not a static document and amendments are allowed. It's up to the people and those they elect to decide what kind of government our 'founding fathers' wanted, and as long as those decisions follow the democratic process that's exactly the government they wanted.
16 minutes ago · Like

New Guy posted:

Here's something. http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/08/30/paul-ryans-speech-in-three-words/#ixzz251rvLkSe

High-five to the guys you think our founding fathers wanted in office. Also, keep in mind this is a Fox News website. I'm sure they're going easy on him.

Paul Ryan’s speech in 3 words
https://www.foxnews.com
Paul Ryan's speech was three things: dazzling, deceiving and distracting.
14 minutes ago · Like

Natas Dog posted:

I don't think you 'get' Brother in Law's gimmick, New Guy. He has no original opinions on any of these subjects, which is why he posts these pithy image macros expressing terrible opinions without having to think to hard about why those opinions are terrible. I've stopped trying to debate with reasoned and well sourced arguments at this point, hence my flippant first reply; it's more entertaining that way. As the saying goes, you can't reason someone out of a position that they haven't reasoned themselves into.
a few seconds ago · Like

Brother In Law posted:

I could just google until I find a page that says what I want it to say also. But I don't
5 minutes ago via mobile · Like

Natas Dog posted:

No one's asking you to, but if you're going to make a post claiming that "The current government is what our founding fathers tried to prevent", you should be more specific. What exactly does 'the current government' do that the founding fathers would object to, and how does it differ from what 'the previous government' or 'the next potential government' would do that the 'founding fathers' would approve of?

Is it targeted extrajudicial killings of foreign born and US citizens? I agree, but I doubt the founding fathers could have even envisioned that we'd be able to drop a bomb from a drone on someone 10,000 miles away 2 centuries ago, so that's not exactly something they could have added to the constitution let alone try to prevent. Is it the PPACA? I'd disagree, even in the 18th and 19th century, before there was modern medicine as we know it, there were 'founding fathers' who were proponents of some kind of health care for every citizen. How about Slavery, Women's rights?

I could go on, but I refuse to put more effort into a debate than the person I'm debating.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 31, 2012

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I got this one from my dad. I haven't even checked into it, though I know it belongs here and is probably misquoting something innocuous:

Sorry in advance for the formatting.

oddhair's dad posted:

Subject: FW: MOST STUPID STATEMENT EVER MADE]

THIS MOST UNBELIEVABLE PRESIDENT?
HERE IS HIS RESPONSE WHEN HE BACKED OFF FROM HIS DECISION TO REQUIRE THE MILITARY PAY FOR THEIR WAR INJURIES.
Bad press, including major mockery of the play by comedian Jon Stewart, led to President Obama abandoning his proposal to require veterans carry private health insurance to cover the estimated $540 billion annual cost to the federal government of treatment for injuries to military personnel received during their tours on active duty. The President admitted that he was puzzled by the magnitude of the opposition to his proposal.

"Look, it's an all volunteer force," Obama complained. "Nobody made these guys go to war. They had to have known and accepted the risks. Now they whine about bearing the costs of their choice? It doesn't compute.." "I thought these were people who were proud to sacrifice for their country, "Obama continued "I wasn't asking for blood, just money. With the country facing the worst financial crisis in its history, I'd have thought that the patriotic thing to do would be to try to help reduce the nation's deficit.. I guess I underestimated the selfishness of some of my fellow Americans." < an>
Please pass this on to every one including every vet and their families whom you know. How in the world did a person with this mindset become our leader?
REMEMBER THIS STATEMENT...."Nobody made these guys go to war. They had to have known and accepted the risks. Now they whine about bearing the costs of their choice?"

If he thinks he will ever get another vote from an Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard service member or veteran of a military service he ought to think it over.. If you or a family member is or has served their country please pass this to them.
Please pass this to everyone. I'm guessing that other than the 20-25 percent hardcore liberals in the US will agree that this is just another example why
this is the worst president in American history. Remind everyone over and over how this man thinks.

But to top that off.....he is perfectly happy providing insurance to illegal aliens!!!!!!

Edit: I might add it's got a 'smug-looking' Obama pic stuffed partway down, centered.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
I'm sure no one's surprised that when I did a quick Google search just now about it one of the first results was from PolitiFact, and they gave it a Pants on Fire rating.

Of course, if PolitiFact's evaluations are any indication, it's pretty much safe to assume that chain e-mails are false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Oddhair posted:

I got this one from my dad. I haven't even checked into it, though I know it belongs here and is probably misquoting something innocuous:

Sorry in advance for the formatting.

Edit: I might add it's got a 'smug-looking' Obama pic stuffed partway down, centered.

That isn't even a misquote or a parsed quote out of context... it's just outright lies. That's always the most baffling thing to me, not when people aren't willfully disingenuous but when they are just make stuff up whole cloth to smear people.

Here is the snoopes: http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/veteranshealth.asp