Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
it's cable

edit: I just stopped being a sperg and called teksavvy to ask them. When I put in the cancellation order with SHAW they tried to upsell me with their $45 plan that is 10Mbit/150GB vs Teksavvy's $45 25Mbit/Unlimited plan telling me that Teksavvy doesn't actually give you 25Mbit, you only get 7Mbit, and a vague promise that they will never actually charge you for overage (trust me!). I'm safe to assume that the retentions agent was blowing smoke up my rear end, correct?

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ZShakespeare posted:

it's cable

edit: I just stopped being a sperg and called teksavvy to ask them. When I put in the cancellation order with SHAW they tried to upsell me with their $45 plan that is 10Mbit/150GB vs Teksavvy's $45 25Mbit/Unlimited plan telling me that Teksavvy doesn't actually give you 25Mbit, you only get 7Mbit, and a vague promise that they will never actually charge you for overage (trust me!). I'm safe to assume that the retentions agent was blowing smoke up my rear end, correct?

If your area doesn't get the 25Mbit then TekSavvy cannot sell you the 25Mbit unless you still request it. As for the never charging for an overage fee, I know the Cogeco Business line doesn't ever charge us in Windsor for overage but they always charge Residential lines.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I live in Burnaby, and Shaw offers 200Mbit internet. I was just wondering if there was any truth to the claim that teksavvy would advertise 25Mbit internet that only performs as 7Mbit in real–world usage.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ZShakespeare posted:

I live in Burnaby, and Shaw offers 200Mbit internet. I was just wondering if there was any truth to the claim that teksavvy would advertise 25Mbit internet that only performs as 7Mbit in real–world usage.

No, they're using the same last-mile as Shaw.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

I'm on 25mbit teksavvy in Surrey and it's 25mbit.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here
Anyone know any information regarding Acanac's IPTV service? There's very little information trickling out in their forums but nothing concrete on channel listings, pricing, etc.
Currently on Teksavvy cable but I'm hoping Acanac's IPTV service gets rolled out soon. I will gladly switch over if there's a decent lineup of channels.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rogers continue to be total shitlords.

Wake up this morning, net has been down since 2am or so. Do some troubleshooting. Doesn't look like a problem on my end - the modem has link, but won't respond to DHCP requests once the coax is connected. I call TekSavvy.

More troubleshooting follows. Apparently they don't support linux (I could have sworn they used to?) and need it connected to a windows computer to rule out OS-related issues. Fortunately my wife's laptop still has a windows partition on it. After about an hour of a half of going around in circles he concludes that it's a provisioning issue and needs to be fixed at Rogers's end.

Here's where it gets surreal.

He says that he needs the MAC address of the computer the modem is connected to to submit the ticket, and that that computer needs to stay connected to it until the modem has been re-provisioned.

I ask if I can just leave it connected to the router (which is, after all, basically a small linux computer anyways), he says no. Has to be an "actual" computer running Windows or OSX.

I ask why, he says that's what it says on the re-provisioning instructions from Rogers but he'll see if he can find out more. I spend the next ten minutes on hold.

Off hold, he says that he has NFI why, they just say that it has to be a windows or OSX computer and if it's connected to anything else, or if it's connected to something that doesn't match the MAC address I gave them, provisioning will fail.

The computer, however, doesn't have to be on. It just needs to be connected. According to Rogers, the modem can not only figure out the MAC address of a shut-down computer, but can figure out what OS it's running.

:psyboom:

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
If you find out more about Acanac's IPTV, please let us know. We are currently on Acanac, and although the speeds and pricing are great it sure took a lot of headaches to get everything in order (ex: a 'Cable billing' fee from Rogers for us hooking up to Acanac, and other weird stuff). IPTV would be an interesting upgrade, to say the least.

I would check with Distributel to see if they plan on rolling out this product, as Acanac is either a subsidiary of Distributel, or uses its servers as a Tracert scan to anything outside the Rogers network heads to Distributel... (At least, it does for us in the Ottawa area).

As for the previous poster - What the heck?!? Your cable modem doesn't need a MAC address for a machine located behind the Router - your Cable modem handles the WAN side of things, and your router is meant to handle everything in between.

You wouldn't happen to know if your Cable modem is DOCSIS 2 or DOCSIS 3? I only ask, because we had a similar issue when Rogers upgraded to DOCSIS 3 in our area. When we switched to Acanac, we purchased a Docsis 3 modem that was backwards compatible with a Docsis 2.0 network - but then when rogers switched to 3.0 support, they used the wrong serial number for our modem and thus their network was not responding to WAN requests from our modem. Took a few days before I figured it out through forum support.

Good luck!

Guigui fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 20, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Guigui posted:

As for the previous poster - What the heck?!? Your cable modem doesn't need a MAC address for a machine located behind the Router - your Cable modem handles the WAN side of things, and your router is meant to handle everything in between.

Well, some modems can be configured to only permit access from a specific MAC address, in which case the configured address has to match whatever MAC the device connected to the modem presents to it. So there might be something like that buried in there.

But then they start going on about how it has to be connected to a windows or OSX machine and the modem can apparently detect the MAC address and operating system of the connected machine even if said machine is off and will fail provisioning if it's connected to a router and :wtc:

quote:

You wouldn't happen to know if your Cable modem is DOCSIS 2 or DOCSIS 3? I only ask, because we had a similar issue when Rogers upgraded to DOCSIS 3 in our area. When we switched to Acanac, we purchased a Docsis 3 modem that was backwards compatible with a Docsis 2.0 network - but then when rogers switched to 3.0 support, they used the wrong serial number for our modem and thus their network was not responding to WAN requests from our modem. Took a few days before I figured it out through forum support.

It's a DOCSIS 3 modem. I'm in Guelph and have no idea if Rogers is still using DOCSIS 2 here or has switched to DOCSIS 3.

According to TSI, it'll take 24-48 hours for Rogers to see the ticket and act on it. In the meantime, I've bound my phone to the router and the whole house is connecting through that. :suicide:

At least I have unlimited data.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ToxicFrog posted:

According to TSI, it'll take 24-48 hours for Rogers to see the ticket and act on it. In the meantime, I've bound my phone to the router and the whole house is connecting through that. :suicide:

At least I have unlimited data.

There is also no way for TekSavvy to call Rogers and fix something. They are forced to use the ticket system, even when something is a simple fix. If Rogers ignores a ticket three times, TekSavvy can fine them under some CRTC thing. Rogers never allows a ticket to be ignored three times.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

ZShakespeare posted:

it's cable

The agent is right if it were 2 years ago when teksavvy only had the old 6mbit tpia dsl option. Now they have the option to match speeds with the tpia/gas' own offerings. Teksavvy operators have said that overages are an average over two billing cycles. Call to confirm that policy though as that was a half year ago. The agent also recommended that I not worry too much
about overages unless I was consistently way above the 300 gb limit.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Aenslaed posted:

The agent is right if it were 2 years ago when teksavvy only had the old 6mbit tpia dsl option. Now they have the option to match speeds with the tpia/gas' own offerings. Teksavvy operators have said that overages are an average over two billing cycles. Call to confirm that policy though as that was a half year ago. The agent also recommended that I not worry too much
about overages unless I was consistently way above the 300 gb limit.

Oh, I'm getting unlimited internet from TSI. It was Shaw who was trying to sell me on a $45/10Mbit/150GB (we'll never charge you for overage, but won't provide a promise in writing, also TSI lies about their speed it's actually 7Mbit) as an alternative to TSI's $45/25Mbit/Unlimited plan.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

ZShakespeare posted:

Oh, I'm getting unlimited internet from TSI. It was Shaw who was trying to sell me on a $45/10Mbit/150GB (we'll never charge you for overage, but won't provide a promise in writing, also TSI lies about their speed it's actually 7Mbit) as an alternative to TSI's $45/25Mbit/Unlimited plan.

Are you on DSL or cable?

If you're on DSL, you might be too far away to get the highest speeds.
If you're on cable, your node might be oversaturated.

Either way its lovely.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

ZShakespeare posted:

Shaw TSR here.

The last time we touched on the usage limits was last year during the UBB mess. The official policy was to be if you hit your usage limit for your current plan, you would be bumped up to the next level of service and billed the difference. So, say you hit the allotted 400GB limit for Broadband 50, you would be billed $10 more for the one billing cycle, but you would be getting the Broadband 100 speeds on top of the higher usage cap. In practice, I've never, ever seen that happen with any of the heavy usage accounts I've run across. I think we only really intervene if it becomes an ongoing problem and the node is saturated or something, but I've yet to see it happen. If you want me to check for cable saturation, I don't think it'll be a problem if you PM me with your details and I can look into it.

As far as that plan with Teksavvy goes, that's not bad at all. It's exactly the same as our Extreme speed package for $17 less, and the difference is probably due to the fact that you're purchasing a modem instead of leasing it, and due to their service calls not being free. I think we have a six month promo going on for the High Speed 20 at $29.95 with a free wifi modem right now ($55 after six months), but I'm not a big fan of the High Speed 10 and 20 packages due to the low upload cap on them (0.5Mbps). The Extreme speed is the best package we carry before hitting the DOCSIS 3.0 speeds for heavy internet users, in my opinion.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 21, 2012

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm in downtown Montreal, I was using acanac but their rates haven't really been...competitive for awhile and I thought I'd take the dive and try Tekksavvy. Are there better options out there? I was on DSL and I'm not sure if I should switch to cable or stay with the DSL. It's certainly cheaper than what I was paying at least.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 23, 2012

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Dreylad posted:

I'm in downtown Montreal, I was using acanac but their rates haven't really been...competitive for awhile and I thought I'd take the dive and try Tekksavvy. Are there better options out there? I was on DSL and I'm not sure if I should switch to cable or stay with the DSL. It's certainly cheaper than what I was paying at least.

Depending where you're living, you could try ColbaNet. I've heard good things about them.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

We've had TekTalk for a few weeks now. Service is working good, number ported on the date it was supposed to. But we received a bill from Bell a couple days ago because nobody warned us about Bell requiring 30 days notice when we ordered the new service.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
Just moved to Southwest Ontario (London) and boy is this far different than where I came from. My old ISP offered a minimum 10/1 package and upgraded you to 20/2 if you had any sort of bundle. They were slightly more expensive than Bell to have phone + internet + cable but had far better customer service, faster speeds and no contract cancellation bullshit. Also no such thing as UBB, everything is unlimited (except their 200 MBit package).

London, and Ontario in general, seems to have rolled over and took it up the rear end when it comes to UBB. Place I'm staying at currently has some "worldline" ISP, but the connection is terrible which isn't surprising since it is dirt cheap. Advertised as 10/1 I'm lucky to get 1.8/0.4 with horrific ping and terrible routing problems... yesterday I couldn't order something from Sportschek.ca because it was telling me I was in Quebec and they don't service Quebec.

Anyway probably going to get my roommate to switch to TekSavvy but debating between cable and DSL. My own experiences have all been with cable, and my address ony shows the 15/1 package with a 300 GB cap offered. Is it safer, with TekSavvy, to simply go with cable and get either the 18/0.512 or 28/1 package? Never having dealt with the company, this city/province, or DSL has me unsure.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Dreylad posted:

I've been using https://www.electronicbox.net Cable for a few months, and our backup internet at work (DSL) is on them, so far no hassles, cheaper prices, higher caps.

Vinterstum
Jul 30, 2003

Migishu posted:

Depending where you're living, you could try ColbaNet. I've heard good things about them.

Seconding ColbaNet; good prices and plans if you live close to one of their supported exchanges. I synced at 16 mbits where I used to live in the Plateau.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

NerdPolice posted:

Anyway probably going to get my roommate to switch to TekSavvy but debating between cable and DSL. My own experiences have all been with cable, and my address ony shows the 15/1 package with a 300 GB cap offered. Is it safer, with TekSavvy, to simply go with cable and get either the 18/0.512 or 28/1 package? Never having dealt with the company, this city/province, or DSL has me unsure.

Hi London buddy! :hfive:

I've got Teksavvy's unlimited package a year ago after switching from Rogers, and I haven't had a single problem. From all my dealings with Rogers and Bell, the infrastructure/technicians that Rogers has is much better than what Bell has. It's incredibly easy to run a new line to a cable modem as compared to trying to fix lovely phone wiring/convincing Bell that the wiring it bad.

With that said, definitely get the 300GB cable package. The nice thing is if you exceed it they just bump you up to the next tier (unlimited) and just charge the difference, there are no actual "overage" fees.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
UGH so annoyed right now, my telus optik box failed to record the Formula 1 race this morning, what happened??

The weird thing was it just started recording that channel after I turned the tv on to watch the race.. Sadly the race was well over by that point.

Sort of my Sunday tradition during the season and I like my routine :(

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Vinterstum posted:

Seconding ColbaNet; good prices and plans if you live close to one of their supported exchanges. I synced at 16 mbits where I used to live in the Plateau.

Whereabouts if you don't mind me asking? I live just up from des Pins and I've considered them before, but not if they couldn't beat my slow but steady TekSavvy connection... judging by google maps, I'm about 0.75km away from the DSLAM that services my area, but I know that doesn't take actual cable length into account.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Anyone know about the deal with the ISP in Hamilton specifically the Westdale area. I'm moving there for work and Cogeco seems to be the only cable game in town but the TSI website says that dsl is unavailable also.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does Shaw cover your area? I'm in Ancaster and I was checking for alternatives, and I thought the coverage area for Shaw covered Westdale, but I could be wrong.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

NerdPolice posted:

In London as well and on Teksavvy cable. Never had any issues and always had full speed. I was on 28/1 but dropped to 18/.5 because I found myself not really needing it.

I believe they take a two months bandwidth average before charging overage
For example, if you're on the 300gb plan. If you do 325gb this month but next month you only do 250gb, you're fine.
Unless they changed things now.

Peter Radiator
Aug 1, 2004

somebody got hurt
somebody get hurt

Voodoo Cafe posted:

Whereabouts if you don't mind me asking? I live just up from des Pins and I've considered them before, but not if they couldn't beat my slow but steady TekSavvy connection... judging by google maps, I'm about 0.75km away from the DSLAM that services my area, but I know that doesn't take actual cable length into account.

I'm just south of des Pins and my connection from colba syncs at 13-14 mbps, real world download is closer to 10-11 mbps.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

From all the horror stories I'd heard in here and on the internet about switching to teksaavy I was afraid of spending up to a week or more without internet access and lots of angry phone calls. Shaw required that I take my modem in two days before my hookup date (why, I have no clue). Since my teksaavy hookup is scheduled for monday I was prepared to go a couple of days with no internet.

For shits and giggles I hooked up the teksaavy modem tonight and much to my amazement it synced up after ten or so minutes. I only noticed when my apple tv's menu started showing me itunes content again. So, yeah. the transition was as smooth as could be.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 16, 2012

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Just wanted to say I'm loving my Shaw 100mbps internet. Preloaded Borderlands 2 last night and got my highest ever download speed from Steam while I was at it. A steady 10.5MB (Megabytes) per second and the 5 or 6 gig download finished in about 10 minutes.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
My new place can get 16x1 cable through start.ca. Anyone know if that requires a DOCSIS 2 or DOCSIS 3 modem? I figure I can find one online for less than Start will charge me.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

VR Cowboy posted:

My new place can get 16x1 cable through start.ca. Anyone know if that requires a DOCSIS 2 or DOCSIS 3 modem? I figure I can find one online for less than Start will charge me.
that is docsis 2 range but it's usually not worth the hassle of using your own modem unless you've had cable service on the network in the past.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

Sprawl posted:

that is docsis 2 range but it's usually not worth the hassle of using your own modem unless you've had cable service on the network in the past.

Fair point. I'll probably just rent one from them.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I honestly have no loving clue how my parents haven't gotten rid of their lovely Bell internet yet.

This is seriously painful. I can't even load loving Google right now. Not to mention the fact that it just wasn't loading any pages for anyone for a period earlier today. (Which is not unusual.)

Oh god, a second test was even worse:

279 ping?? Is the Bell server on Mars!?

And a third was worse again:

I can't wait to get back to my 30 mbps+ TekSavvy connection. :(

Right now, it won't even load the latter two speedtest images in my post, that's how lovely it is.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 4, 2012

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
That's criminally poo poo. How much do they pay per month?

My workplace had to get a quick and dirty Bell business connection for a group working in another building. It's 5 Mbps for $198 per month :froggonk:

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
That just looks like something is broken or not working. Is the line really noisy or something? What are they actually subscribing for?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Anyone have experience with Distributel, Acanac or Teksavvy cable near Yonge and Bloor?

Acanac's the cheapest for 18 Mbit. I'm not sure if I really need 18 vs 6 since I don't do much :filez: anymore, but it does require a 12 month contract and I've heard less than encouraging things about their billing and customer service.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

VR Cowboy posted:

That's criminally poo poo. How much do they pay per month?

My workplace had to get a quick and dirty Bell business connection for a group working in another building. It's 5 Mbps for $198 per month :froggonk:

Kachunkachunk posted:

That just looks like something is broken or not working. Is the line really noisy or something? What are they actually subscribing for?

I don't recall how much they pay, but it's wayyy too much and I discovered before that they're only paying for a 5 mbps plan. They tend to get ~3 mbps, which is still pathetic. (Checked, they pay $60-$70 a month, not sure specifically how much.)

And it's back to... "regular" speeds now, but it pretty frequently drops the connection altogether or has periods of severe slowdown.

There may be a periodic issue with the line that's actually due to something being broken, but I have no desire to get it fixed, since Bell is ripping them off tremendously already, I'd rather just get them moved to TekSavvy. (They're basically ready to, it's just a matter of actually getting the transition started.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 5, 2012

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
If the wiring itself is faulty (lots of static or lack of common ground) switching to a 3rd party provider may not help... It might be best to see if you can resolve the issue with Bell first (as they may not charge them for a maintenance visit) and then switch.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Guigui posted:

If the wiring itself is faulty (lots of static or lack of common ground) switching to a 3rd party provider may not help... It might be best to see if you can resolve the issue with Bell first (as they may not charge them for a maintenance visit) and then switch.

Hmm, this is a good point... although, they'd probably be switching from Bell's DSL lines to Rogers' cable line. Would any potential wiring fault effect both?

If there's still the chance, it probably would be worth getting someone in. Although I suppose there's also the possibility that a TekSavvy (c/o Rogers) tech would have to come by to make the switch? I've only ever had to deal with them in an apartment complex as opposed to a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Guigui posted:

This, because the second you move providers, it'll be a $99 house call if they find nothing wrong.