Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
What the hell man. What the hell is sexnet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Above Our Own posted:

What the hell man. What the hell is sexnet?

A net for watching sexhavers. All MOO admins are scum, fact.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
Why is there always so much drama revolving around a text based rape simulator?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Aafter posted:

Why is there always so much drama revolving around a text based rape simulator?

Because it was a pretty drat fun game for a while, and some people just can't let go I guess.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's the only MUD I've every played that wasn't objectively bad or some kind of gay roleplay fantasy hotspot.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
It seems like all the player hate the admins for being little bitches. Why are the admins little bitches in the first place? Are there no dudes cool enough to run it? It's pretty loving ridiculous in my opinion.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I sort of feel like I lucked out in the MUD raffle in getting a MUD that wasn't too focused on serious roleplay, had a nice combat/magic system, and decent admins...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure it's like, scientifically proven or something that running a MUD game will give you schizophrenia so that should explain the lack of Cool Dudes.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much. It's a lot of thankless work to begin with, and things just get worse when people take it upon themselves to chew you out for changes they don't like. A lot of MU* staffers are precisely the kind of people you don't want in a position of petty power either: they're insecure and inflexible, and often inclined to gently caress around with the code or the players for their own amusement or just out of sheer loving creepiness.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I dunno, sometimes getting hosed with by Admins was fun enough if you didnt have anything else to do or you were bored.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sure, but everything in moderation. There's a world of difference between the funny poo poo that used to get posted in the Hell threads, and the horrible crazy that real badmins get up to.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Bieeardo posted:

Sure, but everything in moderation. There's a world of difference between the funny poo poo that used to get posted in the Hell threads, and the horrible crazy that real badmins get up to.

Dont forget aiding their mortal alts or their mortal friends! Thats always a fun one.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
Wouldn't the same thing hold true for private servers? I've ran private servers for a couple games (not popular servers by any means), I've played on quite a few others and I've never seen such hate towards admins from the playerbase.

Thumbs Up Dude
Aug 25, 2006
Current hellmoo is a loving joke, wish these guys would get their drama over with so I can get to playing a new hellmoo that's free of admins that do nothing but sit on playnet and tf2net all day.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a hellmoo character that I use to literally sit on DJnet. He does nothing else. At all.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
In my webdev work, I use nodeJS and some comet/push notification servers, like getty/meteor/etc, so today I searched for "nodejs mud" and lo and behold:

http://www.ranviermud.com/

It's obviously super green, but I always thought that most of the current MOO/MUDs are running on ancient engines, and I wonder when we'll see some new pseudo-MUDs that more easily integrate with a web UI come up. I mean, the allure of nice HTML5/CSS3/JS UIs is hard to deny, I'd love having drag & drop inventories, and possible right clicking shortcuts - right click on "furnace" in the list of things in the room and then "start", to give an example. Also, with clever use of media queries, making it work well with a mobile is easy.
It could certainly help bring in new people who don't know what a telnet client is, but then again it's such a large shitload of work that would be likely better spent making a nice UI for a facebook app that lets people pay money to dress up gerbils in hats.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Someone told me another hellmoo revision is in the works. Is this true? Who's doing it, if so?

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
It's true, but it's currently broken as poo poo and being worked on by Total Nerds so who knows how it'll turn out.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
Did anyone ever develop and release a MUD creator wizard? Basically, the code is there you just fill in the text that players read? It seems like there was a construction set at some point but I can't find it with searches.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Dex posted:

It's true, but it's currently broken as poo poo and being worked on by Total Nerds so who knows how it'll turn out.

Which Total Nerds, exactly? What I'm saying here is that I'd like to be one of said Total Nerds, and need to know who to contact.

pixelatedmind
Feb 19, 2007
"look mom i'm on the internet"

ZombieParts posted:

Did anyone ever develop and release a MUD creator wizard? Basically, the code is there you just fill in the text that players read? It seems like there was a construction set at some point but I can't find it with searches.

There's plenty of code bases to choose from, most have stock worlds and the option to have "online creation" where you build the rooms/whatever while logged in. If you do a little reading you can do it all manually with a simple text editor, too, and pretty much not have to know anything about programming other than to get it to compile. Is that close enough to what you mean by "MUD creator wizard"?

I used to dink around with https://www.circlemud.org which is still available and has plenty of stock world material.

There's lots of codebases to choose from out there, which is as close to a "creator wizard" as you'd get, I'd think. It's been a long time since I messed with any of these though, there might be some better ones available. For instance if you like Python and are willing to go through a little more setup process there's https://www.evennia.com, though I think I had some out-of-the-box issues making that work last time I looked at it.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Funkmaster General posted:

Which Total Nerds, exactly? What I'm saying here is that I'd like to be one of said Total Nerds, and need to know who to contact.

Don't you have another MUD you should be working on?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
My biggest problem when I started MUDs was I always wanted ROM 2.4b6 with OLC and Erwin's coloUr minus the lovely magic system and all the lovely stock areas. It always took me forever to get it down to a workable state and I never remembered to save it like that. :(

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

OtspIII posted:

Don't you have another MUD you should be working on?

No, because the DB dissipated into the ether during the hate drama, and there's no way I'm going to start over with a clean hellcore, considering that nobody felt like helping the first time around and the few that did all have other things going on now.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

No, because the DB dissipated into the ether during the hate drama, and there's no way I'm going to start over with a clean hellcore, considering that nobody felt like helping the first time around and the few that did all have other things going on now.

meux.org:7778

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

OtspIII posted:

meux.org:7778

Welp, looks like I've got some work to do. :wotwot:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be happy enough with the more recent version of HATE as long as Benaron and Kharn were banned from it.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Is there anything to do in Pressure at the moment or do I have to wait for more players/wizards?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Elth posted:

Is there anything to do in Pressure at the moment or do I have to wait for more players/wizards?

It isn't actually a game right now. Probably should close sign ups to drive that point home.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

I really hope the third version of Hell works out. The formula is just too drat hilarious and fun for there to be TWO lovely, broken versions of it without a functional one around.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Amante posted:

I really hope the third version of Hell works out. The formula is just too drat hilarious and fun for there to be TWO lovely, broken versions of it without a functional one around.

Is there a hellmoo.txt somewhere? I could spend a lot of time just reading *comedy. :allears:

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

And just like that, Pressure is back in development.

So, I know this is the third time I've said this, so you guys are forgiven for being a little skeptical. Though I doubt it will do anything to curb your skepticism, here are some screenshots of a text game to show you guys that this is an actual thing that exists in some form or another.

A shot of the current version of who. Not too exciting, and very similar to the hell/hate variant, but shows the general theme we've got going for menu boxes. In case anyone cares, this was hand re-coded, not just an outline thrown over the existing who.

The skill menu. Skills are "dynamic" in pressure, meaning that instead of being hardcoded into the game as objects, we can just run a skill check for whatever skill we want, and recieve a sane result. If the object in question doesn't actually have a skill of that name, the game will treat the roll as if the person had a skill of 1 (a skill of 0 has to be specifically stated, and causes all rolls to fail). This means that any given player is just as adept at, say, "assfucking" as they are at "penguin hunting" or "vagina skiing."

Here's a quick look at combat, from both sides of the fight. This is a very rudimentary system and nowhere near what combat is going to look like in the final product, but the basic outline is here. Although this is a fistfight, anything in Pressure can be used as a weapon, as every object has weapon stats. You can smack someone upside the head with a lamp, or a wrench, or a stack of papers, or a refrigerator. Of course, right now these will all act exactly the same, but eventually with enough TLC you'll start to see realistic(ish) stats for most types of items.

Your class preference menu (currently found by typing 'sc' or 'score' outside of a round).

And finally, a look at the actual gameplay of Pressure, the beginning of a round. Note that the lab itself (and the names players are given during rounds, and to a lesser extent the missions you undertake during a round) are all randomly generated.

edit: Whoops, that first combat image broke tables. Thumbnailed that for ya.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
What exactly is Pressure?

http://piratepad.net/mjcjVdpB9Q

Sounds awesome. Can't wait to play it.

Aafter fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 17, 2012

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Aafter posted:

What exactly is Pressure?

In the past, I've used the phrase "text-based underwater SS13," but I no longer feel like that's an accurate description. It's a MOO built off hellcore, with the gameplay broken down into rounds. Each round sees the players, under randomly-generated monickers, running around in an underwater laboratory completing various goals (such as repairing and/or maintaining the base, or evacuating the staff). Play is psuedo-cooperative, with everyone working toward one grand goal but with potentially conflicting subgoals to ensure a healthy dose of PVP and general chaos. The whole thing is set in an alternate location within the hellmoo universe and framed in a floating utopian city where players hang out between rounds and/or during rounds they are not participating in.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.

In the past, I've used the phrase "text-based underwater SS13," but I no longer feel like that's an accurate description. It's a MOO built off hellcore, with the gameplay broken down into rounds. Each round sees the players, under randomly-generated monickers, running around in an underwater laboratory completing various goals (such as repairing and/or maintaining the base, or evacuating the staff). Play is psuedo-cooperative, with everyone working toward one grand goal but with potentially conflicting subgoals to ensure a healthy dose of PVP and general chaos. The whole thing is set in an alternate location within the hellmoo universe and framed in a floating utopian city where players hang out between rounds and/or during rounds they are not participating in.

The way you described that makes it sound way more awesome than the PiratePad link. I want to play this. I would offer help but I don't think I'm all too useful. Any idea when it's going to up and running?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Aafter posted:

The way you described that makes it sound way more awesome than the PiratePad link. I want to play this. I would offer help but I don't think I'm all too useful. Any idea when it's going to up and running?

No, no idea. There's a good structural start, but none of the meat or muscles are woven in yet. It'll be a while before something truly playable emerges, though there may be room in the relatively near future for some playtesting of a sort.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.

No, no idea. There's a good structural start, but none of the meat or muscles are woven in yet. It'll be a while before something truly playable emerges, though there may be room in the relatively near future for some playtesting of a sort.

The IRC channel is empty, sadly. I'll keep an eye on the thread for fun Pressure stuff.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Amante posted:

To be fair, the Gilmore version sounds pretty decent as long as you find PvP and griefing abhorrent. HellMOO without PvP just feels hollow to me, but GilMOO is actually still running pretty strong. I agree, though, that a good old mean griefer HellMOO variant needs to be maintained for all the jerks and weirdos who are into that stuff.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

What will the atmosphere of the game be like? I see you mentioned no Horror (or Survival-horror), will the game, items and uses for the items be super-serious or will there be useless poo poo to annoy other players with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Vadun posted:

What will the atmosphere of the game be like? I see you mentioned no Horror (or Survival-horror), will the game, items and uses for the items be super-serious or will there be useless poo poo to annoy other players with?

The latter. This is very much a project born of Hellmoo, expect lots of crude humor, enough pop culture references to make you puke, and lots of silliness and fuckery.

Ideally, there will be a core nugget of seriousness that this is all wrapped around, such to provide the makings if an actual game rather than a big goofy sandbox, but this is not the game for people who want an RP-enforced experience or something.

• Locked thread