Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I miss living the suburbs and in the uk. I got a great deal on a place recently and it's $1500 a month...
$250k to buy I figured was standard for a place in a large-ish city. You certainly wouldn't get much for that amount in London or NY. Doubt you get more than one bedroom if you're central.

ash with a five posted:

You're working at C+C now?

Nope - moved to dbox's NY office :)

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
What method do you guys retopo a low in? I tried Zbrush (4r2) but it was really slow and a bit crap. Now I have Wrapit and whilst the videos look amazing, it seems to be a bit different in practise.

Any good tips or methods?

Simpo
May 1, 2008
you could try q-remesher in 4r4, and see where it gets you. I'm interested to hear what people think of it (I haven't got around to playing with it very much yet).

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
I picked up 3d coat for it's poly paint tools. But it has bad rear end retopo tools. I use it for all my retopo work now. That program is super awesome. Between it's auto-retopo/retopo, UV unwrapping, and poly paint. It's well worth the purchase.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

SGT. Squeaks posted:

I picked up 3d coat for it's poly paint tools. But it has bad rear end retopo tools. I use it for all my retopo work now. That program is super awesome. Between it's auto-retopo/retopo, UV unwrapping, and poly paint. It's well worth the purchase.

I abuse the polypaint on here so much. It's step one on any hand-painted projects I do (unless I'm making tileables) and it lets me worry a lot less about seams and such.

Edit: Oh, we're talking about retopo. Um, I know some guys at work who use Topogun, but I think a lot of them have switched to the new Zbrush.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zbrush's QRemesher is quite neat and gets you pretty usable results, combined with the guide tool. Or if you hate yourself, use the old Zsphere retopo method. :barf:

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
So I've tried Wrapit again today as I don't have access to 4r4 :( I used the zsphere method last time, it's painfully slow.

The paint tools don't seem to work that well for me, but I'll try again on the body. I used the wrap function with some old fashioned poly modelling on this. The hair will have a lot more detail with alpha planes when I come to texture it.

How's this topology looking?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looking pretty decent, though the ears seem to be quite a bit denser than it probably needs to be, going by how you've divided up the other areas. Couple of triangles near the hairline that could easily be taken care of, but otherwise, nothing horrible going on!

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Hey got a bit of a problem I could use some advice on.

I posted about a revolver model I was making a few weeks back, I've finished the models now and I've done some unwrapping (I would have done it sooner, but something important came up and I had to stop working on it for a while).

Now I should probably say that I am awful at UV mapping; so when I get to baking some normals from the high-poly model in xNormal, I run into a problem:

Now I don't think I've had bakes turn out like this, so I'm kind of at a loss at what to do here to get rid of those weird looking jagged edges, though I imagine I should probably try unwrapping from scratch again, I wasn't really trying to use the space as effectively as possible, just trying to keep the UVs roughly the same proportion and keep smoothing groups apart.
Any advice to keep stuff like this from happening? I'm using Max for the modelling and unwrapping, and as I said before, xNormal for the baking.

Disproportionation fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 26, 2012

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
This looks to me like your cage isn't the right shape. I'm not familiar with Xnormal (yet, learning in a week or so) but it looks a lot like a cage problem to me anyhow.

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/normal_workflow_2.htm

See half way down this page?

One big thing I'd address before you bake out the normals is your UV layout. It's really unoptimised. For the size of the map, you could probably get 2/3rds more resolution by getting rid of all that negative space.

If you're bad at UV mapping, get good at it! You'll be up to speed in no time :)

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Based on your normal map image, I can see that your green channel is oriented downward (Y-). Do you have the X-Normal viewer set up for the same orientation?

It's either that or you may need to break the smoothing groups in the same place as your UVs.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I decided to start learning 3ds max today. I tend to learn programs best when I don't read any documentation so it has been a slow start.

I started with something simple, please don't laugh at me. :smithfrog:

Not finished yet obviously but I've already got it up and running in my UDK project which is neat.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I never read any documentation I just watch video tutorials here and there and learn stuff slowly that way and by experimenting.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Slow progress today as I've been procrastinating a lot, but progress is still progress right?

Gonna optimise it when I'm done.

doczoid
Mar 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
any (ex?) xsi users?
I love the programs flexibility, being able to do almost anything with enough work, wheras with max it was a case of "if there's a plugin for it" (admittedly there usually was).

Anyway with xsibase being down for a month now I feel the xsi community has really finally, sadly fallen into the precipice with no marketing from autodesk to speak of since it's acquisition (for $65m :/, that's almost a twentieth of instagram ffs).

Anyway, I'm starting to think I need to just suck it up and go crawling back to max, I tried maya once and really didn't like the interface.

Oh, I am a 3D generalist, dabble in mostly everything, can post some images if you like but I'm really interested to hear what people think of the future, if any, of xsi (now just autodesk softimage).

(PS. This is my first look into the 3D thread here on SA, is it a pretty active thread or not that many users straying from their app specific communities?)

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

doczoid posted:

(PS. This is my first look into the 3D thread here on SA, is it a pretty active thread or not that many users straying from their app specific communities?)

It's pretty active, we're a small group but between us I think knowledge on most softwares is covered.

That being said, if you like the flexibility of xsi being able to do anything without plugins, I think its worth giving houdini a shot. As someone whos never used xsi, I've heard through the grapevine that they're very similar, but I've just never put the time into finding out for myself.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Got a lot of stuff done last night. Re-did the UVs to use more space and just did the bake in Max instead, because it's a little easier to mess with the cage, and I can do an exploded bake too.

Normals have come out a lot smoother, especially on the body and the cylinder. Some things still need working out though, particularly on the smaller parts, which my have come out worse in some areas, but they should be much simpler to fix.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Just my two cents, but the edges of your high poly are really, really tight and don't come across on the bake clearly. If you look at the object at any distance they're going to disappear or just look like noise. If you make the edges softer than they might be in reality, you'll give the projection more leeway to work with.

You should zoom out occasionally when working on a high poly and make sure the edges are still catching light. Think about the size this thing will be on the screen if you saw it as a world model/in an NPC's hand.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Update on my model. I still have to put in his jacket, all his accessories and his proper hair. It's currently weighing in at almost 10k tris so I'm going to have to cut a fair bit, although I'm not entirely sure what I want to aim for!

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Internet Friend posted:

Just my two cents, but the edges of your high poly are really, really tight and don't come across on the bake clearly. If you look at the object at any distance they're going to disappear or just look like noise. If you make the edges softer than they might be in reality, you'll give the projection more leeway to work with.

You should zoom out occasionally when working on a high poly and make sure the edges are still catching light. Think about the size this thing will be on the screen if you saw it as a world model/in an NPC's hand.

That screenshot is the low poly with the normal map applied, but thanks for the advice anyway! I'll see if I can smooth those high poly edges a little.

Here's what the high poly looks like, though this is an old screenshot so I may have changed it a little since.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Disproportionation posted:

That screenshot is the low poly with the normal map applied, but thanks for the advice anyway! I'll see if I can smooth those high poly edges a little.

Here's what the high poly looks like, though this is an old screenshot so I may have changed it a little since.

Yeah, I searched your posts, I was referring to that model. For comparison, look at this (not my model) and look at the size of the highlight along the edge of the frame, trigger, scope rings ect. Now if you look at an actual gun frame many have a much sharper edge, like what you have now. But when you try to bake a tiny edge like that, especially on a LP edge with split smoothing/normals, the projection is going to miss the detail or give you two pixels of data.

Also if you aren't already, you may be better served by using Xoliul Shader or 3Point Shader Lite to approximate what you'd get in a game engine.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

doczoid posted:

any (ex?) xsi users?
I love the programs flexibility, being able to do almost anything with enough work, wheras with max it was a case of "if there's a plugin for it" (admittedly there usually was).

Anyway with xsibase being down for a month now I feel the xsi community has really finally, sadly fallen into the precipice with no marketing from autodesk to speak of since it's acquisition (for $65m :/, that's almost a twentieth of instagram ffs).

Anyway, I'm starting to think I need to just suck it up and go crawling back to max, I tried maya once and really didn't like the interface.

Oh, I am a 3D generalist, dabble in mostly everything, can post some images if you like but I'm really interested to hear what people think of the future, if any, of xsi (now just autodesk softimage).

Between the studios that I've worked at, I've used all the major packages. And still love XSI the most. I use version 6.5 for all of my home work and freelance work. I feel like a lot of the other big name packages are still trying to catch up to the modeling tools XSI had ages ago.

doczoid
Mar 14, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Between the studios that I've worked at, I've used all the major packages. And still love XSI the most. I use version 6.5 for all of my home work and freelance work. I feel like a lot of the other big name packages are still trying to catch up to the modeling tools XSI had ages ago.

Most people who use it love it, but what worries me is the people who own it.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Internet Friend posted:

Yeah, I searched your posts, I was referring to that model. For comparison, look at this (not my model) and look at the size of the highlight along the edge of the frame, trigger, scope rings ect. Now if you look at an actual gun frame many have a much sharper edge, like what you have now. But when you try to bake a tiny edge like that, especially on a LP edge with split smoothing/normals, the projection is going to miss the detail or give you two pixels of data.

Also if you aren't already, you may be better served by using Xoliul Shader or 3Point Shader Lite to approximate what you'd get in a game engine.

Ah, thank you for clarifying, I see what you mean.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Update: Currently want to kill myself this is so tedious!

Sitting at about 11.5k at the moment although there's a lot of optimisation I can do.

This is the high, so shows what I still need to do:

What do you guys think so far? I'm used to max 3-5k tri modelling so this is new territory for me really.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Hi folks,

Sorry for the probably total obvious question but how can I put a curve in this poly?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

MORE LOOPS.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
It's best if you just do it by hand. Don't ever be tempted to use Boolean. Just put in some more loops like mutata says and put that curve in!

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Sorry, total noob here, (literally my second day of learning to model) what is a loop?

I did try a boolean subtraction using a cylinder but the it removed the top poly and made that mesh look hollow.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
A loop is just a ring (loop) of vertices joined up in to a line.

Say you have a shape and you want to subdivide that shape along an axis so it has two lines of polygons instead of one. You can do many things, but mostly you'll be doing either: Select a loop with the line tool in editable poly mode and chamfer it. This is best for edges however. Or you can go in to vertex mode, click either Cut or Quick Slice and cut a new loop in.

Edit for the above thing I'd probably (I might possibly work in a backwards way and everyone will have their own method) quick slice it down the middle so you have a loop in the centre of the object, then chamfer that loop a few times with equal spacing so you get several loops you can then manipulate in to the shape you want.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

^^^ Yeah, like that.

"Loops" are edge loops. Basically, you cut more edges and move the vertices by hand to make that curve. Someone who knows 3Dsmax or whatever you're using can tell you what tools to use specifically if you don't know.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Hi folks,

Sorry for the probably total obvious question but how can I put a curve in this poly?

What everyone's saying is you want to add more edges to your object, like in the attached image, so that you can then move vertices (red dot, indicated by green arrow) to changed the profile of the object. In this image, one loop is added, and if you moved the indicated vertex down, you would have a V-shaped notch in the top of the object. To simulate a curve, you would have to add more edges with neighboring vertices and move the vertices to approximate a curve.

Or you could get a curve shape with fewer loops and vertices by using subdivision modeling.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
Hey guys, here's a new thing I finished up. I'm finding that I pretty much never leave Zbrush anymore. I haven't gotten to play with 4r4 yet, but I've been getting used to dynamesh more and I really don't have any reason to use anything but Zbrush and Photoshop. Really intuitive workflow, and really fuckin' fun. This is my take on the Chupacabra legend:

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
2nd model finished. Learnt about splines, 2d shapes and lathing.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Good, now you'll never need to learn about them again :v:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

While I've never used lathing, I do use spline circles and paths for lofting and extruding organic curvy shapes. I always convert them to polygons soon after, but curves are great.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was just joshing, I used splines in games quite a few times and made some shoelaces out of them the other day. The other two though, no idea when I used them last hah.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I use splines and lathes all the time, but my focus is industrial/mechanical animation so they're a quick way to eliminate crappy tri geometry on wires and tubes and so forth.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I use splines and lathes a fair bit when I have to do architectural stuff.
I also like them a lot in lofts for keeping certain stuff a bit more live and procedural with an edit poly stack on top

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
using lathe on a spline is great for making brushes for sculpting programs.