Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

jivjov posted:

I dunno, the theater I went to for Phantom Menace 3D was a full house and everyone there seemed pretty enthused about the whole thing. I know it's trendy to hate on the prequels, but I feel that they're really only bad in relation to the OT.

I read several reviews where the theater was empty.

Also:
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=starwars3d.htm

I guess $43 million is ok, but it's 10% of the original. But the money is probably more in licensing really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011
The Phantom Menace isn't just bad in relation to the older movies. The Phantom Menace was a disaster by the most objective of standards. You can make more of a case for the other two being not as bad as people say. I'm not going to make the case, but it's a case that could be made.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The prequel trilogy's biggest crime is that it's boring.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The prequel trilogy's biggest crime is that it's boring.

I've never been as embarrassed to be in a theater as I was when during the love picnic montage in Attack of the Clones.

That was until the Darth Vader reveal scene in ROTS.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I've never been as embarrassed to be in a theater as I was when during the love picnic montage in Attack of the Clones.

That was until the Darth Vader reveal scene in ROTS.

Runt's dead, by the way, you'll have to go with some other funny avatar. :(

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

api call girl posted:

Spoilers, mate.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Ursine Asylum posted:

Spoilers, mate.

It's background information. Don't care.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rogue1-and-a-half posted:

The Phantom Menace isn't just bad in relation to the older movies. The Phantom Menace was a disaster by the most objective of standards. You can make more of a case for the other two being not as bad as people say. I'm not going to make the case, but it's a case that could be made.

nope, TPM is objectively better than AOTC.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

computer parts posted:

nope, TPM is objectively better than AOTC.

This is true. AOTC is by far the worst of the series.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So looking over some accounts of Celebration VI, apparently Ian McDiarmid actually read the Darth Plagueis novel? That's kind of cool, but I can only imagine how over his head all the EU references went.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

jivjov posted:

I dunno, the theater I went to for Phantom Menace 3D was a full house and everyone there seemed pretty enthused about the whole thing. I know it's trendy to hate on the prequels, but I feel that they're really only bad in relation to the OT.

I feel the opposite. I think the only good points present in the prequels lie in their Star Warsiness, and that if you took them as independent films they would be so objectively godawful on every level of structure and craft they'd be mentioned in the same breath as Transformers.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Transformers are probably better Star Wars movies than the prequels. And are objectively better films.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

api call girl posted:

Jedi ghost horse?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Jedi ghost horse?

Holy poo poo.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

api call girl posted:

Holy poo poo.

Maybe the caption should be "Ne-e-e-e-igh the force be with you."

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I'm done with the Thrawn Trilogy and :(Jedi Prince :( , whats the next book I can expect to actually be interesting in some way? Truce at Bakura is not that book.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Quad posted:

I'm done with the Thrawn Trilogy and :(Jedi Prince :( , whats the next book I can expect to actually be interesting in some way? Truce at Bakura is not that book.

Go with the X-Wing series.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Quad posted:

Darksaber.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

I just read the Han Solo trilogy that was mentioned a few pages back. It was very entertaining. I gave up on Star Wars books a long time ago (the last ones I have read in the chronology were the Zahn duology), but this was a fun throwback. The books are set before the movies so Han is just an awesome smuggler who only cares about his ship, his friend Chewie, and making credits. I recommended it to any fan.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

That's part of why I'm looking forward to Scoundrels (and because Zahn). Pre-ESB Han, Chewie, and Lando in Ocean's Eleven sounds pretty good to me.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Don't listen to this poster. :saddowns:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Quad posted:

The Glove of Darth Vader.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Don't listen to this poster. :saddowns:

Leaving aside the like of the Jedi Prince series, Darksaber is probably the EU book that can be most adequately described as being so bad it loops around and becomes good again. That "revenge of the one-armed wampa" scene remains one of the most flat-out bizarre things they've ever published.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I second that opinion on the X-Wing series, I sort of enjoyed I, Jedi before it was pointed out to me what such a Gary Stu the main character is. Still good fun.

omg chael crash posted:

The Glove of Darth Vader.

Which is part of the Jedi Prince series dude.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

taco_fox posted:

I just read the Han Solo trilogy that was mentioned a few pages back. It was very entertaining. I gave up on Star Wars books a long time ago (the last ones I have read in the chronology were the Zahn duology), but this was a fun throwback. The books are set before the movies so Han is just an awesome smuggler who only cares about his ship, his friend Chewie, and making credits. I recommended it to any fan.

Even though they had to shoehorn droid companions into those books, it still worked out alright because the droids were kinda smarmy dicks, just like Han. Blue Max reminded me of Wheatley from Portal 2.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's always cracked me up that there's a robot called "Bollux".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wish Random House Audio would go and do an unabridged and combined version of both Han Solo trilogies. Would probably amount to something like 40 hours, but it would be awesome. Of course I also wish Troy Denning would have a stroke, so I wish a lot of things.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

api call girl posted:

Transformers are probably better Star Wars movies than the prequels. And are objectively better films.

Transformers: Bark at the Moon is legitimately, hands-down, in the running for worst film ever made by human beings. And not for any ":qq: my childhood" poo poo either, everything about that film is loving wrong

Also, Attack of the Clones is definitely the worst of the series. It's a cowboys-in-space sci-fi-actiony film whose only real action before the third act consists of Anakin bravely dueling a pair of space slugs.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Transformers: Bark at the Moon is legitimately, hands-down, in the running for worst film ever made by human beings. And not for any ":qq: my childhood" poo poo either, everything about that film is loving wrong

On the other hand, the droid factory sequence.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Also, Attack of the Clones is definitely the worst of the series. It's a cowboys-in-space sci-fi-actiony film whose only real action before the third act consists of Anakin bravely dueling a pair of space slugs.

I recall reading a long-rear end review of everything that was ever wrong with that movie, and it was really entertaining, but I can't find it anymore. Anyone have any idea where to look?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Zoran posted:

I recall reading a long-rear end review of everything that was ever wrong with that movie, and it was really entertaining, but I can't find it anymore. Anyone have any idea where to look?

It was probably the Red Letter Media review.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, on one hand you have ten-year old Darth Vader exclaiming, "Now this is pod-racing!" and, "Let's try spinning. That's a good trick!" and on the other you get twenty-year old Darth Vader acting like he's fourteen and creepy lines about sand.

Honestly, I couldn't say which one I prefer, but at the same time, I kind of like the "machete order" which cuts out Episode I entirely.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Metal Loaf posted:

Well, on one hand you have ten-year old Darth Vader exclaiming, "Now this is pod-racing!" and, "Let's try spinning. That's a good trick!" and on the other you get twenty-year old Darth Vader acting like he's fourteen and creepy lines about sand.

Honestly, I couldn't say which one I prefer, but at the same time, I kind of like the "machete order" which cuts out Episode I entirely.

I like the machete order too. I could envision (I) the events of New Hope -> (II) Empire Strikes Back -> (III) flashback to (heavily revised) Clone Wars, Anakin as a real hero -> (IV) Anakin's fall -> (V) flash forward to victory of Rebellion (perhaps revised?) and Anakin's redemption making a really solid order for any future remake of the film series in fifty years or so.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Here's the proper watching order of Star Wars:

A New Hope -> Empire Strikes Back -> Return of the Jedi

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
If you're going to do a remake of the all six movies, you could avoid the awkward Rebellion era/Clone Wars era cobbling by changing the reveal. Have Owen and Beru raise Luke under another surname (which makes sense if you're trying to hide him). That way, even knowing that Anakin Skywalker is Darth Vader, you still don't suspect Luke Moisturefarmer is his son. You could even have Kenobi raise him directly, training him as a full-fledged Jedi with the intent of overthrowing Vader/Palpatine while deceiving him about his past. Then the reveal would really send Luke reeling and make him doubt his whole life.

Or, we can just leave the wonderful OT as is and forget about the awful prequels. As long as someone made a solid trilogy about the Clone Wars that was fun, no one would care about smashing the view order together. Every time I read about someone trying to do that, it seems like they're trying to make poo poo palatable by spreading it between pastrami. The pastrami sandwich was awesome and you're ruining it.

Mmmmmm...pastrami.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

api call girl posted:

Here's the proper watching order of Star Wars:

A New Hope -> Empire Strikes Back -> Return of the Jedi

Yeah, yeah, but we're working within the established framework here. And I don't think the general story arc of the prequels was horrible in itself, it was just done extremely poorly with godawful writing, nonsensical plotting, and generally terrible execution (insert Attack of the Clones arena joke).

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
So the writing, plot, and actual realization of said writing and plot were all bad, but the story was good?

The concept of clone wars (especially earlier versions-e.g., leaders replaced by clones and chaos ensuing when multiple clone armies are raised by various factions) and two badass Jedi friends blazing their way across the galaxy before one has a tragic fall is really cool. It's a stretch to say that's the story that I saw in the prequels.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Derek Dominoe posted:

The concept of clone wars (especially earlier versions-e.g., leaders replaced by clones and chaos ensuing when multiple clone armies are raised by various factions) and two badass Jedi friends blazing their way across the galaxy before one has a tragic fall is really cool. It's a stretch to say that's the story that I saw in the prequels.

Yeah, absolutely. I was never into the role-playing games, but I've heard a planned campaign from the late-1990s (which was supposedly nixed by the higher-ups) would have involved the return of a long-missing evil geneticist who had supposedly used his knowledge of cloning to orchestrate the Clone War in the first place. That kind of thing might have been more interesting.

In retrospect, one of the interesting aspects of the Expanded Universe material published before 1999 for me is getting to see what all of the authors thought happened before the films were released.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

Yeah, absolutely. I was never into the role-playing games, but I've heard a planned campaign from the late-1990s (which was supposedly nixed by the higher-ups) would have involved the return of a long-missing evil geneticist who had supposedly used his knowledge of cloning to orchestrate the Clone War in the first place. That kind of thing might have been more interesting.

This was actually Kenner's idea for a new toy line to try to continue encouraging merchandise after ROTJ came out. Kind of surprised Lucas nixed the chance to promote new toy sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I've been going through and buying all the Tales from... books. I read them when I was younger, and they are definitely overall my favorite EU stuff.

Of course, I love the X-Wing series, too, just like everyone, and I thought the Yuuzhan Vong stuff was sweet when I was like twelve.

I just love Jabba's Palace and Mos Eisley Cantina for the whole aspect of "Hey, look at that weird dude you saw for 0.5 seconds in the background. He has a story too."

The stories are generally quite well-written as well, with the exception of Empire.

I never get tired of the absurdity of "No Disintegrations, Please" from New Republic.