Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nephilm posted:

Holy Terra is a horrible place to live. You can safely assume that most of the atmosphere isn't safe for unmodified or unprotected humans, that the parts that are breathable are kept that way using technomagic, and that the rich or well-off-enough live in altogether sealed habs. Also, the bulk of the oceans had been boiled off long before the Great Crusade, to the point that the blue planet was already a distant memory. How it happened is anyone's guess, but considering the technology available to humanity at the time it isn't very far-fetched to think it possible. Where did the water go? Perhaps stripped off the upper atmosphere by solar wind, don't know.

Maybe they developed a super fusion generator that creates power from nothing but ordinary water, then proceeded to use up all the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Possibly, but it's heavily implied the current state was a byproduct of warfare. Liberal use of futuristic WMDs isn't healthy for planetary bodies.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
There was an article or a quote awhile back (before the HH books I think) about why they'll never push past into 41K. The emphasis is really on the setting and the models and games with the idea was to make every fight and battle you had become 'canon'. They wanted to personalise the fluff into something you make up yourself hence you use to see a number of the designers' personal miniatures and battle reports make it into the actual fluff.

Not sure if they still hold this mentality but I think with the success of the Horus Heresy, things might start to change. All the new codexes seems to reveal some kind of horrible event that's about to happen to every army so who knows?

As some of the posters said, they did try making world events but I think they found it hard to balance and write the story compared to what was actually happening. They could even take a page from WarmaHordes and just push the story ahead while roughly keeping all the models still relevant.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nephilm posted:

Holy Terra is a horrible place to live. You can safely assume that most of the atmosphere isn't safe for unmodified or unprotected humans, that the parts that are breathable are kept that way using technomagic, and that the rich or well-off-enough live in altogether sealed habs. Also, the bulk of the oceans had been boiled off long before the Great Crusade, to the point that the blue planet was already a distant memory. How it happened is anyone's guess, but considering the technology available to humanity at the time it isn't very far-fetched to think it possible. Where did the water go? Perhaps stripped off the upper atmosphere by solar wind, don't know.
Well the Coruscant maths seems to be suggesting that an "ecumenopolis" of that scale would have problems with all heat dissipation methodologies.... melting. Apparently people get really really warm when you stack them three miles deep.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I just flipped through the latest W40K rulebook. There's a picture of the Golden Throne. It's like a huge Aztec pyramid, with the Emperor seated at the very summit. Do the Emperor's sacrificial victims and soul-binding candidates actually get a close look at his corpse?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Baron Bifford posted:

I just flipped through the latest W40K rulebook. There's a picture of the Golden Throne. It's like a huge Aztec pyramid, with the Emperor seated at the very summit. Do the Emperor's sacrificial victims and soul-binding candidates actually get a close look at his corpse?

No.

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Age of Apostasy? The Plague of Unbelief? Battle of the Fang? Numerous Foundings? Literally ten-thousand years of empty history into which they can easily shoehorn something? All the stuff you mentioned has happened in the last one-thousand years of 40K (M41.)

This was long before they licensed the LOTR stuff. That being said, I can't find any verification of the lawsuit through Google, so maybe it was just a rumor.

I was referring to the actual game tournaments that GW would hold every year or so to advance the plot and timeline. They can't really do any more of those the way they used to.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So I wrapped up the Night Lords series, and I just want confirmation on how I interpreted the epilogue

The apothecary took Talos' geenseed and implanted it in the son of Octavia and Septimus, resulting in Decimus, right?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Fried Chicken posted:

So I wrapped up the Night Lords series, and I just want confirmation on how I interpreted the epilogue

The apothecary took Talos' geenseed and implanted it in the son of Octavia and Septimus, resulting in Decimus, right?

That's the way I read it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

drkhrs2020 posted:

I was referring to the actual game tournaments that GW would hold every year or so to advance the plot and timeline. They can't really do any more of those the way they used to.
Oh, they haven't done those for years anyway. There was rampant fraud and it didn't matter who won anyway - GW would just complete the story as they saw fit.

That being said, it would be nice to see a return to those days now that they're focusing on narratives again, rather than competition. I did enjoy following those global campaigns.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
Void Stalker epilogue question What happened to Non...imus?

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

Void Stalker epilogue question What happened to Non...imus?

Demon possessed Corsair pulped him in the Blood Reaver.

edit: clarity

magicalmako fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 30, 2012

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I'm on Straight Silver in the second Gaunt omnibus right now and I really, really want Cuu to die in a spectacular fashion. :argh:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You're in for a rough time.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Arquinsiel posted:

You're in for a rough time.

We always are with these sorts of characters aren't we?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think it's kind of why they work so well.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

magicalmako posted:

Demon possessed Corsair pulped him in the last book.

oh whoops, thought they skipped a number, I need to read them back to back some time

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

oh whoops, thought they skipped a number, I need to read them back to back some time

I completely forgot about it as well, ended up making a whole theory about who the other slave could be.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Trast posted:

I'm on Straight Silver in the second Gaunt omnibus right now and I really, really want Cuu to die in a spectacular fashion. :argh:
How do you pronounce that? Koo? Choo? Kyoo? Koowoo? Seeyooyoo?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Baron Bifford posted:

How do you pronounce that? Koo? Choo? Kyoo? Koowoo? Seeyooyoo?

Koo. Rhymes with "shoe".

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

I think it's kind of why they work so well.

:Finishes Straight Silver:

God loving damnit. :smith:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You're not done yet, FETHING CUU :argh:

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?

Trast posted:

:Finishes Straight Silver:

God loving damnit. :smith:

But wait, there's more!! :munch:

edit: :unsmigghh:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

It's like Abnett got told that trench warfare and demons weren't grim dark enough so he whipped up Cuu in his last draft to put the screws to the reader.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Trast posted:

It's like Abnett got told that trench warfare and demons weren't grim dark enough so he whipped up Cuu in his last draft to put the screws to the reader.

Actually I heard he lost a few pages and wrote him in as a placeholder

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yes, I recall now that Abnett states in the forward that the original final draft was lost and he had to rewrite it from scratch. During that writing Cuu became a character and Abnett states "he loves writing him." If he was meant as a placeholder then he certainly turned into something used to beat the grim and dark into the stories. And like I said as if trench warfare and knife fighting with demons wasn't bad enough.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bunnyofdoom posted:

I am hopefully going to get a chance to talk to him as part of a comicbook thing, so I'll be sure to ask him why he hates us so much.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I dunno. What with Gaunt being Sharpe I thought Cuu made an excellent Hawkeswill.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Cuu is a sadistic rear end in a top hat, and for once I'm okay with a guy being evil just for the sake of it. He's an ex ganger, probably had a rough life and that marks you, doesn't excuse him but it works because he's not a major villain, just a plot device. poo poo, the First and Only is full of emotionally damaged veterans, like Brostin.

I really miss Bragg though :smith:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Spoiler that please, for the sake of the newbies.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

I am hopefully going to get a chance to talk to him as part of a comicbook thing, so I'll be sure to ask him why he hates us so much.

Please do. I really do enjoy reading about the Imperial Guard in his books but let him know that being cannon fodder for the corrupt generals is grim enough without his buddy Cuu in the mix.

Speaking of which after I get through the third omnibus does anyone have a good recommendation for another series to jump into? I've done the whole Eisenhorn/Ravenor binge and will probably want something else when I order up the third omnibus.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
ADB's Night Lords trilogy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Possibly go with Ciaphas Cain for a bit of light relief first. You'll need it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

ADB's Night Lords trilogy.

This. People credit Abnett for writing the Imperium so that it actually works - how things get done, why people do what they do, etc so it makes a horrible sort of sense rather than being author fiat of "do it or else". ADB does the same for Chaos. You come away understanding how they could decide to turn to Chaos, how things get done, why they do them instead of just being "argle bargle maim kill burn!"

Wesley Walker
Nov 12, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

This. People credit Abnett for writing the Imperium so that it actually works - how things get done, why people do what they do, etc so it makes a horrible sort of sense rather than being author fiat of "do it or else". ADB does the same for Chaos. You come away understanding how they could decide to turn to Chaos, how things get done, why they do them instead of just being "argle bargle maim kill burn!"

While I wouldn't recommend it for a new 40k reader, ADB's The First Heretic is excellent for this. It's one of the best and most believable corruption stories I've ever read.

If I ever meet him I'm gonna tell him he should've written the prequel trilogy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If I get lucky and find him in the same hotel as me I'll tell him for you.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
After the first Gaunts omnibus. Whats the second? Just finished Ravenor and I got time till Pariah comes out.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Speaking of ADB, check out a fanwork. Talos aboard the Echo circa start of Void Stalker

Also hes got a short in that Shadows of Treachery compilation. Essentially some Night Lord action during the Heresy. Hes got a review from another site posted on his wordpress. Might be smidge spoilery since it mentions its set after something in another short he wrote.

http://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/

MisterFuzzles fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 31, 2012

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MisterFuzzles posted:

Speaking of ADB, check out a fanwork. Talos aboard the Echo circa start of Void Stalker

Also hes got a short in that Shadows of Treachery compilation. Essentially some Night Lord action during the Heresy. Hes got a review from another site posted on his wordpress. Might be smidge spoilery since it mentions its set after something in another short he wrote.

http://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/

Oh hey, what's this ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.

mllaneza posted:

Oh hey, what's this ?

23rd Horus Heresy book being written by ADB. Hes got the opening quote and prologue on his site. Angron and Lorgar going about wrecking some Ultramarines that weren't on Calth for the slaughter. I believe Kharn is going to be the main character.

Here's the cover for it.

MisterFuzzles fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 31, 2012