Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Hex Darkstar posted:

I believe http://www.cvedetails.com/version-list/5/1526/2/SUN-JRE.html?sha=3a6b2de2034bc3de0333cb8118a36d81e49eadbf&order=1&trc=431 has them all cataloged by version# as well as Update#. Not sure which update version you're looking for but it should be in there somewhere :)

Number of Vulnerabilities

What.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjl
Aug 6, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

Number of Vulnerabilities

What.

Hey now, only 21 of them execute code!

Hex Darkstar
May 28, 2004

I think I need another liver transplant.
http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/08/critical-java-bugs-reported-4-months-ago/

quote:

According to IDG News, two of the 19 vulnerabilities Security Explorations reported in April are those now under attack. By combining them, hackers are able to completely bypass security protections built into Java that are supposed to isolate Java applications from sensitive operating system functions. Neither of those were fixed during the most recent critical patch update for Java in June, although it did address three other issues the Polish firm reported. Oracle's next regular update isn't scheduled until the mid-October. The flawed Java components violate many of Oracle's own Secure Coding Guidelines for the Java Programming Language, Security Explorations said.

:doh::doh::doh: Really? Not sure what to say about that, there are no words.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Why hasn't something replaced java yet?

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

pixaal posted:

Something has. It's 'Don't Use Java'.
I've stopped putting in the base install of client machines, and it's only a few hold out programs on servers that need it installed. For day-to-day web use, it isn't needed at all. Just uninstall that poo poo heap. Hopefully with iOS and now Android driving the "No Flash" thing into people, I'll be able to remove the other fetid program from base installs within a year or so too.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005

pixaal posted:

It's still the environment of choice for "write once, run anywhere" programming. I think that's the only reason it become popular at all.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I came in here to find out about this new dangerous Java exploit thing, and to be quite honest I don't actually know what Java is, let alone what it's for. I'm just going to uninstall it.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

YggiDee posted:

I came in here to find out about this new dangerous Java exploit thing, and to be quite honest I don't actually know what Java is, let alone what it's for. I'm just going to uninstall it.

The corpse of Steve Jobs just got an erection.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

YggiDee posted:

Its for a ton of stuff you probably have installed, that now will not run!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

pixaal posted:

Its for a ton of stuff you probably have installed, that now will not run!

...Actually, by the look of things, I haven't have Java at all since I forgot to install it when I reformatted a month ago :v:

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
I reinstalled Win 7 3 months ago onto my new SSD and never installed Java. I haven't ran into a single site or application that absolutely required it. Uninstall it, you'll be fine. It's a security hole the size of Texas, and every infected-to-hell machine I have to work on has Java on it, because I see that goddamn orange icon in the taskbar telling me it needs to be updated.

I saw someone on the last page had problems getting TDSSkiller to run. Try renaming the TDSS executable.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
reg:

quote:

A potent Java security vulnerability that first appeared earlier this week actually leverages two zero-day flaws. The revelation comes as it emerged Oracle knew about the holes as early as April.

Windows, Mac OS X and Linux desktops running multiple browser platforms are all vulnerable to attacks. Exploit code already in circulation first uses a vulnerability to gain access the restricted sun.awt.SunToolkit class before a second bug is used to disable the SecurityManager, and ultimately to break out of the Java sandbox.

"The beauty of this bug class is that it provides 100 per cent reliability and is multi-platform," Esteban Guillardoy, a researcher at Argentina-based security outfit Immunity explains in a technically detailed blog post here. "Hence this will shortly become the penetration test Swiss knife for the next couple of years."

:psyboom: java

Hex Darkstar
May 28, 2004

Gweenz posted:

I saw someone on the last page had problems getting TDSSkiller to run. Try renaming the TDSS executable.

Doesn't work, I tried & usually do try that or changing the extension to another executable type but whatever method that SST uses to detect and terminate TDSSKiller & aswMBR is really solid at blocking them from running despite name, location, user executed as etc...

The only thing I use Java for right now is PS3 Media Server because it requires it to run :( I just run it inside of a VM on my host machine that way I keep the poo poo that is Java segregated from my main machine not that I do much browsing with the VM so it's pretty safe.

Hex Darkstar fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 30, 2012

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Okay, at this time I am uninstalling Java from my machine. It's not worth the risk, man.

BringBackATV
Jan 1, 2002
Rainbow Rider

tjl posted:

It's still the environment of choice for "write once, run anywhere" programming

Where "anywhere" means a specific version of Internet Explorer, running on a specific version of Windows, with a specific service pack :rolleyes:

gone soon

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Hex Darkstar posted:

Doesn't work, I tried & usually do try that or changing the extension to another executable type but whatever method that SST uses to detect and terminate TDSSKiller & aswMBR is really solid at blocking them from running despite name, location, user executed as etc...

drat, sounds like they are getting pretty smart about blocking AV tools. Have you tried a Kaspersky cd? I've been having good luck lately removing the nastiest of the nasties using their rescue disk.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
If you're really serious about removing infections you need to do it with either another machine it a boot cd

Hex Darkstar
May 28, 2004

Yea, I tested out the Windows Defender Offline bootable USB drive against it which removed the rootkit (it identified as Alureon but that is because SST is based off Alureon/TDL's code) the main issue I had with that was it removed the infected bootrecord and then it made the machine unbootable.

I thought maybe this was a one off issue but yesterday I was testing out Endpoint Protection 2012 (Forefront's new name) against ZeroAccess that was x64 compatible in our lab and it rendered the test machine unbootable too after cleanup. Just to be safe I repeated the same steps and it resulted in the same issue. System restore via recovery console was the only way to restore the system to a working state. Due to that i'm kind of fearful that MS anti-malware products might leave infected systems unbootable post cleanup if we begin using them going forward and ZeroAccess infects one of them.

Physical presence in front of the machine was basically the only way I could get rid of the infection at the time, I had to use a Win 7 CD and do a bootrec.exe /fixmbr and bootrec.exe /fixboot to restore the machine to a bootable state.

Hex Darkstar
May 28, 2004

Oracle has released an update for JRE 7 that fixes the vulnerabilities http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7u7-downloads-1836441.html

Edit:

Articles regarding it here:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/30/oracle_issues_java_0day_patch/
http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/08/oracle-patches-critical-java-bugs/
http://isc.sans.edu/diary/Oracle+Releases+Java+Security+Updates/14008

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
But I need Java for my Minecraft :(

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I too have always been terrified that Minecraft is going to one day bite me in the rear end.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hasn't anyone rolled the update to a server? I'm thinking I'll test it on my dev server (Win2k8R2 64x) but I've actually got a prospective client app on there because I don't run Java on my real production server.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

EvilMuppet posted:

But I need Java for my Minecraft :(
Not as 100% as uninstalling Java entirely, but you could always disable Java in IE/FF etc. At least cuts out a big chunk of attack area.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Armourking posted:

Not as 100% as uninstalling Java entirely, but you could always disable Java in IE/FF etc. At least cuts out a big chunk of attack area.

I thought it was Chrome/FF?

And what about Hex's post, isn't the probably resolved for the moment?

Hex Darkstar
May 28, 2004

syscall girl posted:

isn't the probably resolved for the moment?

Yea but what other nuggets of joy lay within this version? It's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get...except all the chocolates are really poo poo :(

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
So going into Firefox's content menu in options and unchecking Enable Javascript is going to protect me from this right?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

syscall girl posted:

I thought it was Chrome/FF?

And what about Hex's post, isn't the probably resolved for the moment?

This may be resolved, but the other unknown(to us) exploits are not.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Tardcore posted:

So going into Firefox's content menu in options and unchecking Enable Javascript is going to protect me from this right?

No. Java and JavaScript are two seperate things. You need to update (but preferably uninstall) Java to be completely safe.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

Tardcore posted:

Java and javascript are quite different.
http://www.ghacks.net/2012/08/30/how-to-disable-java-in-your-web-browser/
Is one of the guides that have just sprung up on how to do so.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Alright, thanks for the link, got that poo poo disabled now.

Hex Darkstar
May 28, 2004

http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/08/critical-bug-discovered-in-newest-java/

Well that didn't take long, newest version of Java also has a vulnerability that allows for bypassing the JRE sandbox and taking control of a users machine. The same firm that reported the other two vulnerabilities that prompted yesterdays patch found them within 2-3 hours of researching into it and have already disclosed this one to Oracle. But this time they also disclosed that it exists (but not any PoC code as that would be irresponsible) to online news outlets so Oracle can't sit on this one for another 4 months.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

To anyone who was curious I ran the patch on that Win2k8R2 server I was talking about. Nothing broken so far (knocks laminate), and I've got quite a few java server apps on there so it's probably good.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Hmm, my last Java version was SE 7 U5 10.5.1.255, that's probably safe, but should I disable it and Java Deployment Toolkit just in case?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

pixaal posted:

The real question is why browsers execute Java-scripts (the common attack vector for attacking Java) from any source without asking.

You can rant at people to just loving use no-script already, but the majority will expect an up-to-date browser to "do security" for them.

Java is actually pretty cool, it's just implemented in the most insecure manner imaginable by browsers.

e: The other answer, is whatever replaces Java would be the next thing attacked, just like there were no OSX viruses when no one used it.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 1, 2012

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

Khablam posted:

The real question is why browsers execute Java-scripts (the common attack vector for attacking Java) from any source without asking.

You can rant at people to just loving use no-script already, but the majority will expect an up-to-date browser to "do security" for them.

Java is actually pretty cool, it's just implemented in the most insecure manner imaginable by browsers.

e: The other answer, is whatever replaces Java would be the next thing attacked, just like there were no OSX viruses when no one used it.

Java and JavaScript despite their names are totally different.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Although NoScript actually blocks java and flash by default and displays a placeholder. It's very nice.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Critical flaw found in just-patched Java posted:

Security Explorations, the Polish security startup that discovered the Java SE 7 vulnerabilities that have been the targets of recent web-based exploits, has spotted a new flaw that affects the patched version of Java released this Thursday.

Security Explorations founder and CEO Adam Gowdiak was able to confirm that the defect does affect Java SE 7 Update 7, which Oracle released this week as a rare out-of-band patch.

As in the case of the earlier vulnerabilities, Gowdiak says, this flaw allows an attacker to bypass the Java security sandbox completely, making it possible to install malware or execute malicious code on affected systems.

What the gently caress, Oracle.

Why do people still use java?

Impotence fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 1, 2012

Ghost Mutt
May 10, 2009

Hex Darkstar posted:

In regards to this, it's almost always (in my experience) a hidden, primary malicious partition that is booted to first and then Windows is loaded from there.

Grab yourself a copy of GParted or your favourite partitioning tool and get rid of that sucker.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

TwoKnives posted:

Java and JavaScript despite their names are totally different.
I'm referring to the fact the common attack vector is to have malicious JS execute an applet against your knowledge (commonly placed on a webpage via a banner advert - some have even made it onto these boards). If you use no-script, there's a vastly diminished attack surface. Though there are other vectors of attack, most viruses that target Java are spread this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
Any word on whether this latest flaw also affects Java 6?

I'm just going to assume that Java 6 is also affected. I don't even want to think about trying to downgrade again given how much of a massive pain it was to get Java 6 to work after previously having Java 7 installed.

• Locked thread