Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Colonel Sanders posted:

I need some ideas for healthy breakfast options.

Man, I'd ditch that muffin and have another two eggs, honestly. You'd save a lot more calories just ditching that muffin than by going to substitutes -- plus almost all of the good nutritional stuff is in the yolk.

As far as hash brown alternatives, you can try grated daikon. I've had decent results with it as long as I press it in a paper towel before frying to get rid of all of the excess moisture. It's not going to replace hash browns and it's certainly not the same, but it's an okay alternative.

Very Strange Things posted:

I also have a shredded cabbage question.

I am having cole slaw tomorrow.
Would it be better to make it tonight, so the flavors can meld a bit in the fridge overnight, or make it fresh an hour or so before we eat it?

I'm a big fan of letting those kinds of things sit overnight. Then again, I personally don't like super fresh, crispy cole slaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

GrAviTy84 posted:

I dunno. I generally don't like wasting food and eggwashes are pretty wasteful when used just for glazing the top of a baked thing. Most of it goes down the drain. vOv

Are you saying that you can't think of anything to do with a bowl of beaten eggs?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Are you saying that you can't think of anything to do with a bowl of beaten eggs?

eggwash is more than eggs.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

GrAviTy84 posted:

eggwash is more than eggs.

I never bother making it with anything other than beaten egg.

My point still stands: Even if you add milk to it, you can save it for scrambled eggs, or something, surely? It seems silly to avoid eggwashing things for fear of wasting something you can easily use elsewhere.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scientastic posted:

I never bother making it with anything other than beaten egg.

My point still stands: Even if you add milk to it, you can save it for scrambled eggs, or something, surely? It seems silly to avoid eggwashing things for fear of wasting something you can easily use elsewhere.

I didn't say I avoid it at all costs but as a glaze for baked goods I just don't see the value in it. You can do other things if you absolutely must have the sheen though. Depending on application: cornstarch/water wash, milk, simple syrup.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Colonel Sanders posted:

I need some ideas for healthy breakfast options.

I also love pancakes, but I need a recipe that is healthy. Should I add blueberries to my pancakes? I like the taste of blueberries, but will that benefit my diet?

What you posted looks like a completely healthy breakfast. I have a feeling that, if you are looking to cut calories by switching to egg whites, your breakfast is not the issue in your diet. If you want to make it healthier, get some veggies on the plate. Steamed broccoli is not going to mess up your daily caloric intake. You'll feel more full and you'll get some nice nutrients early in the day.

Pancakes are probably not going to be healthy if you are eating normal pancakes. "Everything in moderation and all that", but it's freaking cake for breakfast. Fresh fruit is a great substitute for syrup (but not in addition to) although they both contain a lot of sugar. Look for healthier pancake recipes. I can't endorse this recipe as I've never tried it, but I hear good things.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I dunno. I generally don't like wasting food and eggwashes are pretty wasteful when used just for glazing the top of a baked thing. Most of it goes down the drain. vOv

I guess I have a skewed view because all the chickens make too many eggs. But my calzones look nice!

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
GrAviTy84mouth wash with the eggs.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones
Guys I'm a filthy northerner and have never seen fresh okra at the farmer's markets, but I did find some over the weekend and now have maybe 3 cups of fresh okra. How long will it keep and what should I do with it, pickle it? Fry it?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

kiteless posted:

Guys I'm a filthy northerner and have never seen fresh okra at the farmer's markets, but I did find some over the weekend and now have maybe 3 cups of fresh okra. How long will it keep and what should I do with it, pickle it? Fry it?

It will keep quite awhile. And yes- Pickle it. Fry it (cornmeal). Gumbo it.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

kiteless posted:

You want to be careful to not get it to turn into a pile of slime. Either fry it in plenty of oil or chop into small pieces and cook well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gumbo is the best. Fry any leftover.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
How long will my rendered duck fat keep in the fridge? Should I freeze it instead?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

How long will my rendered duck fat keep in the fridge? Should I freeze it instead?

Oh man... I also wanna know this. The thought of duck fat fries is too tantalizing to me.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

My tub is going on 6 months now. There's still a small amount left in the bottom. Still tastes fine.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

kiteless posted:

I made this Persian stew with okra the other week. Pretty good, the eggplant was sort of superfluous so I'll ditch that the next time around.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Hey folks tonight we're making falafel and tzaziki but we're trying to figure out a nice pink-colored sauce to go along with the white sauce. I'd like to incorporate harissa into it somehow but whenever I search for harissa sauce recipes they are all about how to make harissa. Any ideas?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

baw posted:

Hey folks tonight we're making falafel and tzaziki but we're trying to figure out a nice pink-colored sauce to go along with the white sauce. I'd like to incorporate harissa into it somehow but whenever I search for harissa sauce recipes they are all about how to make harissa. Any ideas?

Make regular harissa, blend in aioli

If you want a lighter variant, blend harissa in greek yogurt

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Yeah I just improvised and mixed harissa with Greek yogurt with some olive oil thrown in. Turned out pretty good. :cool:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
So I have about eighteen ghost peppers on a plant, two of which are a couple days from being fully ripe.

What in the world do I do with them? My family is petrified of them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

neongrey posted:

So I have about eighteen ghost peppers on a plant, two of which are a couple days from being fully ripe.

Man up

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

neongrey posted:

Home defense.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

They're not that bad. Honestly. Actually, they're my new all time favorite. Great in curry, salsa cruda, marinades...

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you were making a curry or chili or something for about 4 people, how much of the pepper would you put in? the whole thing???

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

neongrey posted:

Dry them, grind them, put em in a shaker. Proceed to make everything you eat instantly hot.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

neongrey posted:

Dry, grind into powder, snort lines while filming.

Post on the internet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Could homemade mayo be frozen without loving up everything? I would like to try making some but even if I only do one yolk's worth there's no way I'm going to use that much mayo in a week.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Jmcrofts posted:

If you were making a curry or chili or something for about 4 people, how much of the pepper would you put in? the whole thing???

Are they tolerant, or even fans of decent heat? Each pepper can vary wildly in spiciness, but a well-grown whole ghost pepper may make it pretty unbearably spicy unless your friends are huge fans of habaneros.

I suggest you make a bowl of something and slice finely maybe 1/8 of the pepper. Chop or make it into a paste. Mix it in and try it out for yourself before you get accused of attempted murder.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 31, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mach420 posted:

Are they tolerant, or even fans of decent heat? Each pepper can vary wildly in spiciness, but a well-grown whole ghost pepper may make it pretty unbearably spicy unless your friends are huge fans of habaneros.

I suggest you make a bowl of something and slice finely maybe 1/8 of the pepper. Chop or make it into a paste. Mix it in and try it out for yourself before you get accused of attempted murder.

We like spicy food but aren't hardcore. Like, we put tapatio or sriracha on our food but dare not venture into the realm of ghost pepper hot sauce or anything like that. These are good tips though thanks.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Jmcrofts posted:

I made a curry out of a whole deboned chicken and I put in 1 bhut, 3 habaneros, 7 serranos, and a handful of Thai birds and it wasn't spicy enough for they type of curry I made (phaal). However it was still pleasantly spicy, some might say just bordering on too spicy for a normal currydish

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 31, 2012

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I guess I'll dry most of them, there's no way I'd use that many while they're still fresh.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

neongrey posted:

I guess I'll dry most of them, there's no way I'd use that many while they're still fresh.

You can freeze them if you plan on cooking with them.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Oh, they will take to a freeze? I'll probably do that then.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Grand Fromage posted:

Could homemade mayo be frozen without loving up everything? I would like to try making some but even if I only do one yolk's worth there's no way I'm going to use that much mayo in a week.

Use it to make something nice and invite friends round to eat.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Is it advisable to use some bacon fat when making mayonnaise? Or does it make it worse?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Grand Fromage posted:

Nah, it'll break when you defrost it.

I actually had the same problem. I never thought I'd get through the entire batch by myself. I settled on the rather elegant solution of eating a lot more mayonnaise.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Happy Abobo posted:

I actually had the same problem. I never thought I'd get through the entire batch by myself. I settled on the rather elegant solution of eating a lot more mayonnaise.
This is the preferred approach.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Is it advisable to use some bacon fat when making mayonnaise? Or does it make it worse?

I wouldn't bother. Bacon fat doesn't add a lot of "bacon" flavor, and it congeals when refrigerated, which would probably give the mayo a weird texture.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Need help cooking beans. I bought a bag of dried, light red Kidney beans from Wal-mart. The directions said:

Bag O Beans posted:

Quick soak method: place 1 pound of beans in 6C hot water, bring water to boil for 1 minute, remove from heat and let sit for 1 hour.

Overnight soak method: I didn't use this so I won't post it, but at least the bag had an overnight soak option.

Cook: After soak, rinse beans. Put in 6C cold water, simmer for 1.5hrs.

What I ended up with was very bland, and kinda tough beans. Is the "quick soak" method simply not a good technique? Also, I am pretty sure I left my beans in the hot water for more like 2 hours (got distracted playing a video game) - could that have harmed my beans? I did rinse them, and then simmered for about 2hrs.

The beans have almost no flavor, which doesn't really bother me, I am just confused as to why. When I soaked the beans, I soaked them with just plain clean water. When I simmered the beans, I added some cilantro, 3 stalks green onion, and a stalk of celery to the water. I know the ingredients smelled good before putting them in the water but the beans still lack flavor.

Also, kinda unrelated, I was planning to add either beef or chicken broth to the water during either the soak/simmer. I don't know if that would taste good or nasty, or if that would add flavor or not, but I skipped that because my broth expired September 2011. . . :( Would broth be a good way to flavor beans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Beans don't really soak up flavor themselves - any flavor in a bean dish comes from the matrix of broth/smashed beans that cook down.

1. Use the overnight soak method.
2. Use a lot more seasoning in your beans. Don't use three stalks green onion - use 3 whole yellow onions. Use half a bunch of celery. Use hot peppers and lots of salt. Also cooking destroys the flavor of cilantro so add that at serving time.
3. When the beans are done (they're done when they begin to disintigrate), smash about 1/4 to 3/4 of them into the broth, depending on how thick you want your bean dish to be.

Normal cooking for me on beans (and I make beans a lot) is soak overnight, drain the next morning, refill with fresh water, then cook in a low crockpot for 12 hours or so along with all the aromatics. Smash, stir, serve with whatever else I'm serving. If I'm making white bean soup or something I'll add the ham hock in the morning and I won't be doing much smashing; if I'm making peruanos I'll pretty much puree the entire thing. Etc.