Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echoes
Aug 27, 2008
Still having absolutely horrific flash issues with all browsers. Chrome, Safari and Firefox will all just crash after a while, sometimes the page won't even have any flash on it and the page will just error showing the 'Oh Snap' page. Most of the time it happens when I'm viewing a flash video though. iTunes will sometimes get on the action too and just crash, I mean every time one of these programs crash I can just reopen it straight away but its just very very irritating. Oh and sometimes if I'm really lucky the whole system will crash and just restart. This normally happens when I have 10+ tabs open +itunes +word. Surely this shouldn't happen on a Mid 2011 Mac Mini with 8GB of RAM right? I've uninstalled all browsers and installed them again. I've deleted flash then reinstalled. I've used another profile on the actual computer, and the other day I reinstalled mountain lion. Nothing seems to help, just asking for any last bits of advice before I bite the bullet and make a genius bar appointment :( Any help would be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean the next step I'd take is checking the logs to see if anything is happening, but that can be somewhat of an esoteric journey. At this point if I was just recommending something I'd say an OS reinstall in case something is corrupt, followed by a visit to the genius bar for sure. Not necessarily in that order, I'd probably make the visit first actually since they might comb through your logs for you or something. I don't really know what goes on behind the desk at a genius bar.

My educated guesses would be either bad RAM or OS corruption, but that's such a huge blanket to throw over a problem. Very vague.

I'm not sure if RAM is a user servicable part in a Mac Mini, but If you wanted to test RAM yourself you could probably just start taking out a stick at a time, booting the machine and seeing if the problem persists. Try different combinations of the sticks, see if you can narrow down which might be faulty (it might not be RAM as well, of course)

e: Maybe try something like this as well: http://osxdaily.com/2011/05/03/memtest-mac-ram-test/

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 30, 2012

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

Well, Apple can suck my balls. I just tried to go to Safari's Activity window to download a youtube vid and what the gently caress, it ain't there no more. Why remove such a useful feature? (Yes, feedback already submitted.)

Hey thanks for letting me know that that page exists. I just left a bunch of feedback on Safari 6's new web inspector. The network tab is so crippled that the browser is now unusable for development. Problems include:

• You can no longer filter requests by type, so you can't look at just XHR requests
  • The request list doesn't show the request method or the full path of the request
  • Looking at an individual request also doesn't show you the request method, so it's impossible to tell if a request is a GET, POST, etc.
  • There's no way to see the body of a request, so you have no idea what gets sent to the server
  • JSON responses are no longer formatted, so you have to copy and paste them into a tool to make them readable

I don't really know what they were thinking. I really like the rest of the new functionality (the debugger in particular is really great) and the design, but some of the things that are missing are fundamentally necessary for development.

Echoes
Aug 27, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I mean the next step I'd take is checking the logs to see if anything is happening, but that can be somewhat of an esoteric journey. At this point if I was just recommending something I'd say an OS reinstall in case something is corrupt, followed by a visit to the genius bar for sure. Not necessarily in that order, I'd probably make the visit first actually since they might comb through your logs for you or something. I don't really know what goes on behind the desk at a genius bar.

My educated guesses would be either bad RAM or OS corruption, but that's such a huge blanket to throw over a problem. Very vague.

I'm not sure if RAM is a user servicable part in a Mac Mini, but If you wanted to test RAM yourself you could probably just start taking out a stick at a time, booting the machine and seeing if the problem persists. Try different combinations of the sticks, see if you can narrow down which might be faulty (it might not be RAM as well, of course)

e: Maybe try something like this as well: http://osxdaily.com/2011/05/03/memtest-mac-ram-test/

Holy poo poo, I think you've got it. Just ran Memtest and my mac almost had a heart attack, the fan went crazy and terminal just shut itself down, looks like it's faulty RAM. Thanks a bunch dude! Gonna have to try and send this back and get some more in. Thanks for the help man, you're a hero!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I think that's certainly a good place to start looking. Try pulling sticks and see if you can identify which bank is bad. If it's aftermarket then take it back to the stock RAM it shipped with. Certainly glad it put you on the right track :)

Echoes
Aug 27, 2008
This is gonna be a really stupid question but how do I test the RAM? Can it run on just one stick or will I have to put a single 4GB one and the stock 1GB in? Once against sorry to be an idiot, and to think, there was a time when I was tech savvy!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Echoes posted:

This is gonna be a really stupid question but how do I test the RAM? Can it run on just one stick or will I have to put a single 4GB one and the stock 1GB in? Once against sorry to be an idiot, and to think, there was a time when I was tech savvy!
It will run on one stick just fine. Test it in both banks, too, so you can make sure that that didn't go bad, either.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I found out something useful if anyone is running Filevault 2. If your drive is encrypted and you hold down option at boot, you'll notice that the recovery partition doesn't show up. But it's still accessible by holding down Command-R on boot.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Tenterhooks posted:

Dumb question, but software isn't tied to a country, right? I'm in the UK and, holy poo poo if this'll work, Photoshop CS6 usually costs us £667 ($1050).

It will install, activate, and run, but Adobe is cranky about providing support to out-of-region software. (It's also against the reseller contract to ship it out of region, so you may need to use a friend or a freight forwarder.)

Come up with a good story if you ever need technical support. Perhaps you were on extended holiday in New York, for example. Or temporarily living with an American relative while they recovered from a heart transplant.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gordon Cole posted:

I don't really know what they were thinking. I really like the rest of the new functionality (the debugger in particular is really great) and the design, but some of the things that are missing are fundamentally necessary for development.

I had just gotten used to the Chrome/Safari inspector. Back to Firefox...

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Does anybody have any experience using Examguard on a Mac? I can't find any solid resourses online, tech support has been horrible, and I'll soon have to take exams through it for ASU, so I would like to be sure it'll work on my Air. It seems like a pretty terrible little program but I have no choice but to use it for this online class I'm taking.

Thanks guys :)

Senf fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 31, 2012

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

Molten Llama posted:

It will install, activate, and run, but Adobe is cranky about providing support to out-of-region software. (It's also against the reseller contract to ship it out of region, so you may need to use a friend or a freight forwarder.)

Come up with a good story if you ever need technical support. Perhaps you were on extended holiday in New York, for example. Or temporarily living with an American relative while they recovered from a heart transplant.

Cheers. I took the risk and purchased it. So far everything seems fine - got an email letting me know it's on backorder and should ship in a week or so. I'll hopefully not need tech support (managed all through college / various jobs without it over the years) but that info is good to know. If it installs ok, should I expect upgrading to be tricky when the time comes?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Tenterhooks posted:

If it installs ok, should I expect upgrading to be tricky when the time comes?

As far as I know, the upgrade installer will accept any valid serial number or previous install. I don't think it should be an issue.

Edit: Just asked a colleague who moved here from the UK. He had no problem upgrading his UK CS4 using US CS5. Presumably it also works in the reverse situation.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Modern Pragmatist posted:

That was always a pain in the rear end anyhow. I use clicktoplugin which allows you to right-click to download and save the video.

Sadly, while that works for YouTube (and is actually what I'd already done by the time I wrote my post) there isn't a plugin for every downloaded webpage resource on any random site I might need to pull something from. The Activity window was useful for just about anything on any site, even stuff loaded by plugins (which Safari's and Firefox's web inspectors/page resources windows don't list). That window was a tool without equal, and its disappearance just flat out sucks.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Is there any way to prevent duplicate network drives from showing up on my desktop when I start my computer?

This is annoying:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Figure out what's using them/trying to mount them I guess. One of those is probably mounted at /Volumes/TV-1 (or "TV 1") and something may have used/saved that path in the past and could be the culprit. I'd look into your login items first, then uh, maybe something shows up in the console logs.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Lexicon posted:

I do use 1Password with the file stored in Dropbox. I'm reaching a bit here, but is it possible the number was leaked through this or some other vector like a misbehaving browser extension?

Do you have the master password enabled on this? I believe you have to if you want it encrypted. Source: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/change_master_password.html

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
I feel like I'm in the eighties when I have to deal with file systems. Why do I have to deal with that poo poo on a modern computer? I have a samsung TV that only supports NTFS, but all my computers are macs. A long time ago I used NTFS3g to copy files from mac to pc, but now it seems that is dead. Do I have to buy some third party software to move files from mac to ntfs? I now there is some kind of built in, but disabled and possibly system wrecking, way of copying to NTFS. Should I stay away from that?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Where does the App Store save the Install Mountain Lion.dmg to? I'd like to symlink it to a folder on my external hard drive so that I can update through the App Store but not have that 4GB tied up on my dinky 64GB SSD.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Where does the App Store save the Install Mountain Lion.dmg to? I'd like to symlink it to a folder on my external hard drive so that I can update through the App Store but not have that 4GB tied up on my dinky 64GB SSD.

In the Applications folder.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I don't understand. Doesn't it delete itself after you install ML? Why do you need to keep it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't understand. Doesn't it delete itself after you install ML? Why do you need to keep it?

I think it does. I can understand keeping the installer around in case you have a second (or third) computer, or in case you want to re-install later. Especially if you have a slow internet connection.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I moved it to my external to begin with, but when the last update (10.8.1 I think) came out the App Store tried to re download the entire installer. Someone in the thread here said it was to update the install image, which seems dumb.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I moved it to my external to begin with, but when the last update (10.8.1 I think) came out the App Store tried to re download the entire installer. Someone in the thread here said it was to update the install image, which seems dumb.

It's like a 7MB update if you have the installer on your HD. It makes sense if you have a 1TB HD but not a 64GB SSD

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bob Morales posted:

It's like a 7MB update if you have the installer on your HD. It makes sense if you have a 1TB HD but not a 64GB SSD

It was 7megs for me and I don't have the installer on my SSD.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

It was 7megs for me and I don't have the installer on my SSD.

Hrm, I thought I heard people bitching on another forum for that reason. Now that I think about it, I didn't have the installer and it was only 7MB as well, did it on lovely hotel wifi.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I just got back home from a vacation, and while I was on that vacation I hosed up my iTunes library by deleting some of my favorite songs by deleting a sizable playlist. I get home, and try to restore it from my Time Machine backup. First it complains that there's not enough space. Fair enough, it's like 120 gigs, and I'm on a MBPr, so my SSD can't fit it. I delete the damaged iTunes library and empty the trash.

Now the Finder and Time Machine are saying there's still not enough room. But this is after a restart even, and my SSD is showing something like 230 gigs free, and my library is still around 120 gigs free.

Anyone know why it's saying this? It was saying it trying to copy over a number of files, that I could copy over fine one by one, or just by a few folders at a time. Right now I'm copying over my music, but I have over 1,000 artist folders at this point, so it's going to be slow manual work.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
gently caress, I didn't know I was using an Internet Explorer clone. Thanks ADP for letting me know!

quote:

Thank you for your email, which is regarding accessing the commuter benefits link. Please be aware that in order to be able to access the Commuter Benefits, you must be using Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher or Firefox 5 and higher. Internet Explorer clones (such as Mac-Safari) will not work to access our web site or download our forms.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

withak posted:

gently caress, I didn't know I was using an Internet Explorer clone. Thanks ADP for letting me know!

Oklahoma's unemployment site will literally only work on Internet Explorer.

When I got laid off last summer, I had to go to the library to file every week. My house is mac only. :(

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

withak posted:

Dang, I really like using Mac-Safari! Makes me wonder if I should just give up using Mac-OS, such an obvious windows clone.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Oklahoma's unemployment site will literally only work on Internet Explorer.

When I got laid off last summer, I had to go to the library to file every week. My house is mac only. :(

For future reference, MS makes available VM builds of Windows with IE for web testing. You can download one and run it for something like this.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

mediaphage posted:

For future reference, MS makes available VM builds of Windows with IE for web testing. You can download one and run it for something like this.
which are for virtualpc, and all the convert to virtual box/etc appear to be windows based...

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You didn't search hard enough

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I'm on my parents' Snow Leopard 10.6.8 machine and am having a problem with the Java plugin.

If I navigate to a site in Safari with a Java applet, I am told that Java is not installed or not enabled. In Firefox it works.

The installed Java is version 1.6.0_33-b03-424 according to Java preferences in /Applications/Utilities. Applets/web start is enabled. Safari has Java enabled in its own prefs.

I can start Web start apps, they run without issues.

I've checked for Flashback and not found anything.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Or, for that matter, there's always the fact that Windows can be run for 30 days in a trial mode, so if only need for temporary use....

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Evis posted:

Do you have the master password enabled on this? I believe you have to if you want it encrypted. Source: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/change_master_password.html

Definitely. I didn't even know it was a possibility to not have a master password.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

What?

I said in my post it tried to re download the entire 4GB installer to my SSD (which is the main drive in my Air). I don't want that to happen with every update.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Maybe something went wrong, because I certainly didn't have the installer and it was still a 7MB update.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
ok this is awesome. Trying this out, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Has anyone had luck getting a G9x mouse to play well with OSX? I'd love to get the side buttons working.