Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mammon Loves You
Feb 13, 2011
Is there any legal reason why etrade wouldn't allow any kind of stop orders on employee stock purchase plan accounts? I couldn't find anything through google and etrade doesn't explain why it's disallowed. I guess they don't have to provide good service because I'm a captive customer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Exewu posted:

Uh yes? It doesn't give me an option at all? It doesn't give me any printer options at all even, it just prints to preview (I am on an older mac though). Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.
That sounds correct -- it sends the document to the system print preview, and you can then choose how many pages to print. Here's how it looks in Linux:

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Excel allows you to do custom unit formatting, as well as a lot more combinations of formatting. For example I like to use red financial rounded for negative numbers. For totals I like to use financial formatting with a $ sign in it. Stuff like that Google Docs isn't very good for.

You can do exactly that, though.

The only issue is getting the $ in front of a negative total in financial number formatting, everything else you said is easy enough to do.

edit: in case you complain the numbers aren't rounded, that was two clicks to change:

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 28, 2012

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

shrike82 posted:

Wake me up when Google Spreadsheets can do macros/VBA stuff.

Consider yourself woken up: https://developers.google.com/apps-script/

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Key word is VBA I believe.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Harry posted:

Key word is VBA I believe.

Why would that be the key word? The entire argument is kind of absurd. Ancient programming languages like COBOL are still used regularly in production environments around the world. Google Docs will NEVER *replace* Microsoft Office, if for no other reason than that people that have used it for the past 20 years won't want to switch.

The bottom line is that Google Docs is quickly catching up to the feature set of Excel, much faster than Excel is coming out with new features. Their market share will almost certainly follow especially when you consider how popular a brand Google is among today's students/entry level professionals.

Yes, I realize that you used google docs a few years ago and it sucked. They have been adding features like crazy and "lol it can't do macros" or "lol it can't format numbers" aren't going to cut it as ways to simply write off an emerging platform. VBA is just a scripting language, the same solutions (ok, most of them, obviously some libraries/tools will have to be developed/ported) can be achieved using the tools Google offers.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

a lovely poster posted:

Yes, I realize that you used google docs a few years ago and it sucked. They have been adding features like crazy and "lol it can't do macros" or "lol it can't format numbers" aren't going to cut it as ways to simply write off an emerging platform. VBA is just a scripting language, the same solutions (ok, most of them, obviously some libraries/tools will have to be developed/ported) can be achieved using the tools Google offers.

Heh, spoken by someone who hasn't done any spreadsheet work. The amount of work that it'd take most firms to port their legacy VBA code/spreadsheets is orders of magnitude more than the couple hundred per head they pay for a MSDN license. Paying Microsoft for OS/Office licenses is peanuts to a corp.

The productivity suite market isn't driven by consumer demand - no one gives a poo poo if students replace text pad with google docs.

You're literally arguing that Photoshop is going to be replaced by GIMP.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
This entire discussion is pointless until someone explains how Google would even adequately monetize their spreadsheet program in the hypothetical bizarro world where corporations would actually switch from Excel.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

a lovely poster posted:

The bottom line is that Google Docs is quickly catching up to the feature set of Excel, much faster than Excel is coming out with new features. Their market share will almost certainly follow especially when you consider how popular a brand Google is among today's students/entry level professionals.

I don't think google docs is terrible, I just don't think it's as good as people are saying and definitely not nearly able to replace Office in businesses which is what started the original conversation. I'm sure the market share will increase for the home user, but I don't think businesses will be as quick to convert as some of the posts say. Really, paying $100-200 per computer for a suite that everyone knows and is familiar with is worth it to most companies, along with not having to entrust that Google will continue to offer the service.

At this point you have people who have been using VBA for nearly decades, and companies that have macros that have been around that long as well. You think someone will just learn a new scripting language and re-write things just to save $200?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

abagofcheetos posted:

This entire discussion is pointless until someone explains how Google would even adequately monetize their spreadsheet program in the hypothetical bizarro world where corporations would actually switch from Excel.

Probably something like this: http://www.google.com/intl/en/enterprise/apps/business/pricing.html

Edit: They also claim that 4 million businesses have signed up, so perhaps the world isn't as bizarro as you may think.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 29, 2012

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

abagofcheetos posted:

The same way the monetized companies moving from outlook and hosting to corporate gmail accounts...

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Pressed posted:

The same way the monetized companies moving from outlook and hosting to corporate gmail accounts...

Yeah, but mail servers were something they already paid an ongoing fee for, and already were accessed via web client. Google is expecting companies to pay a monthly fee and only offer online access to something they previously paid a machine license for, and was hosted locally. And that new thing isn't as good.

I'm really curious how many of those companies truly are strictly Google Apps, or if many of them have both Google and Office. My university switched to Google for mail and offers the whole apps suite, but they also have Office installed on every single machine. Hah I just dug through their site:

There is not a PC on campus that doesn't have Office on it.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

abagofcheetos posted:

Yeah, but mail servers were something they already paid an ongoing fee for, and already were accessed via web client. Google is expecting companies to pay a monthly fee and only offer online access to something they previously paid a machine license for, and was hosted locally. And that new thing isn't as good.

I'm really curious how many of those companies truly are strictly Google Apps, or if many of them have both Google and Office. My university switched to Google for mail and offers the whole apps suite, but they also have Office installed on every single machine. Hah I just dug through their site:

There is not a PC on campus that doesn't have Office on it.

The entire point of apps is that it is a suite of programs. Also, while local hosting may be what some people desire, hosting things on the cloud does have its advantages and some people see that as a benefit.

You asked how they are going to monetize those apps and you got the answer. Whether or not Office is installed on all college campus computers is kind of beyond the point. I have worked at two companies that have used Google Docs spreadsheets before, and one of them didn't have Microsoft Office on all the computers.

It's not Google Docs v Microsoft Office, there is room for both Microsoft Office and Google Apps. I don't think Google expects their Spreadsheet software to be real competition for Excel any time in the near future.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fair enough. This is a bit premature of an argument anyway, because in a year or two we will have a MUCH clearer picture of where both Google and Microsoft are in regards to their productivity offerings.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

abagofcheetos posted:

The new thing is better in a lot of ways, such as auto-saving to the cloud, easier sharing of documents, etc.

It just can't do a macro language from the 80s.

Yet.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Inverse Icarus posted:

The new thing is better in a lot of ways, such as auto-saving to the cloud, easier sharing of documents, etc.

It just can't do a macro language from the 80s.

Yet.

The sheer inanity of this is mind boggling.

You don't win market share purely through parity of features. Not to mention, it's not even clear that a) Google Docs does the above better and b) corps even necessary value "auto-saving" or "easier sharing" that much.

And you're being willfully stupid if you think the point about VBA is simply about the lack of a macro language. A lot of companies have built actual applications on top of their Excel spreadsheets, often in the kilo/mega LoCs to do stuff like extract/transform data from DBs or perform calculations. For example, any trading desk at an IB is likely to have literally hundreds of Excel spreadsheets that do pricing analytics. Why should they give a poo poo about porting to an unproven spreadsheet format.

I'm still waiting to hear why GIMP hasn't replaced photoshop - advocates like to claim parity of features.

Cheeze Kuyeh
Jul 5, 2008

i am monocle
Even more so, regulatory reporting to the SEC and the FSA go through Excel for some of the major financial institutions in the UK.

Its flexible, reliable and universal. Its not going anywhere anytime soon.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I had the impression XBRL was the de facto standard for financial reporting.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

shrike82 posted:

You don't win market share purely through parity of features. Not to mention, it's not even clear that a) Google Docs does the above better and b) corps even necessary value "auto-saving" or "easier sharing" that much.

And you're being willfully stupid if you think the point about VBA is simply about the lack of a macro language. A lot of companies have built actual applications on top of their Excel spreadsheets, often in the kilo/mega LoCs to do stuff like extract/transform data from DBs or perform calculations. For example, any trading desk at an IB is likely to have literally hundreds of Excel spreadsheets that do pricing analytics. Why should they give a poo poo about porting to an unproven spreadsheet format.

I'm still waiting to hear why GIMP hasn't replaced photoshop - advocates like to claim parity of features.

I don't think anyone is expecting Google Docs to replace Excel in the detailed financial world.

Hell, Word hasn't replaced Wordperfect in the legal realm due to installed base and existing tool set. I see the same reasons that many of the people in this thread and other investment or financial professionals will still prefer Excel. Hell, I know I prefer Excel to Docs simply because of how quickly I can move through an Excel file compared to a Google Spreadsheet.

However, that changes when you're talking about the myriad of non-financial professionals who simply need a way to make a list of numbers and sum them up. Or simply need to be able to view files created by other people. Google Docs makes this easy and, importantly, really cheap to deploy.

I certainly can see companies where Docs is the standard and only authorized users get access to the full suite depending on job role.

a lovely poster
Aug 5, 2011

by Pipski

Cheeze Kuyeh posted:

Its flexible, reliable and universal. Its not going anywhere anytime soon.

I don't think anyone disputes this. I'm not entirely sure why shrike82 is so intent on proving that Excel is a superior spreadsheet software when nobody is trying to say it isn't. Google Apps and Microsoft Office are not in direct competition and Google Apps is already plenty successful. Why is suggesting that some users might prefer Google Spreadsheets to Microsoft Excel that insulting of a concept? Do you guys all hold MSFT or something?

shrike82 posted:

And you're being willfully stupid if you think the point about VBA is simply about the lack of a macro language.

Maybe it's because you specifically used the word "macros" when you were displaying your ignorance earlier.

shrike82 posted:

Wake me up when Google Spreadsheets can do macros/VBA stuff.

I'm not trying to say Google Spreadsheets is better than Excel, just that it's part of an already successful product and that it's actually been improving quite rapidly. Will Google Apps replace Microsoft Office in the future? Probably not, because platforms as popular as Excel never get replaced (see: FORTRAN, COBOL, etc). Will the market share shift more in Google's favor? I think so but I'm not going to pretend like any prediction there is more than bullshit.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

shrike82 posted:

GIMP hasn't replaced Photoshop because GIMP is open source and doesn't have the support network that companies need. When it comes to software, a company wants to have some guy on the other side of the phone to fix it when it breaks.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can we go back to discussing the stock market instead of continuing this Google vs. Microsoft software slapfest?

My bet is on no QE3 on Friday and then lots of selling through Tuesday. There's no way they're going to announce QE3 with the market hitting recent highs and with commodities spiking.

cobra_64
Apr 3, 2007
Hey guys just a quick question regarding Canadian brokers I'm probably going to open an account with Quest Trade unless someone convinces me otherwise. Right now I have an RSP Account with Royal Bank DI which I wish I hadn't opened seeing as the fees wipe out any gain that I might make. So my plan is to transfer everything over to Questtrade. My question is if there are hidden catches or fees that I'm unaware of or if it is as transparent as the website makes it seem. I'd love to hear your experiences and or recommendations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can I get an opinion on FRN? I'm looking to invest in some foreign markets, but I think an ETF might be a better bet than cherry-picking, as I'm not terribly familiar with the non-US markets.

http://quote.morningstar.com/etf/f.aspx?t=FRN

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Dolphin posted:

Can we go back to discussing the stock market instead of continuing this Google vs. Microsoft software slapfest?

My bet is on no QE3 on Friday and then lots of selling through Tuesday. There's no way they're going to announce QE3 with the market hitting recent highs and with commodities spiking.

It's going to be the same old "we'll be watching the data closely," stuff. I don't think anyone is expecting anything substantive until September, anyway, so while there may be some jostling about because Friday will probably be the lowest volume day yet, I don't expect any lasting paradigm shifts. If anything I would welcome another little flush to pave the way for more gains.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can I get an opinion on FRN? I'm looking to invest in some foreign markets, but I think an ETF might be a better bet than cherry-picking, as I'm not terribly familiar with the non-US markets.

http://quote.morningstar.com/etf/f.aspx?t=FRN

"invest in some foreign markets" is very vague...

The ETF tracks some weird "Frontier Market" index which itself invests in the following manner -
Argentina 10.59%, Chile 37.42%, Egypt 9.45%, Georgia 0.80%, Poland 2.16%, Colombia 15.36%, Kazakhstan 4.52%, Peru 6.04%, Czech Republic 1.78%, Lebanon 3.71%, Nigeria 2.62%, Oman 1.68%, Qatar 1.64%, Pakistan 1.15% and Ukraine 1.09%.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Housing is exploding and GDP data was revised up. Commodities (particularly food) prices are currently elevated and borrowing rates are already at rock bottom. We are two months before a presidential election and any easing will get absolutely zero fiscal support from congress.

I don't see QE happening anytime soon, though the loving monetists are dead set on this poo poo so who knows.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Turkeybone posted:

It's going to be the same old "we'll be watching the data closely," stuff. I don't think anyone is expecting anything substantive until September, anyway, so while there may be some jostling about because Friday will probably be the lowest volume day yet, I don't expect any lasting paradigm shifts. If anything I would welcome another little flush to pave the way for more gains.

Yeah I think it will be September. Growth is picking up but still tepid, unemployment still poo poo, inflation still under the mandate.

Commodity futures already pricing it in.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 29, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Housing is exploding and GDP data was revised up. Commodities (particularly food) prices are currently elevated and borrowing rates are already at rock bottom. We are two months before a presidential election and any easing will get absolutely zero fiscal support from congress.

I don't see QE happening anytime soon, though the loving monetists are dead set on this poo poo so who knows.

I had figured the same, but what I'm unsure of is whether or not denial of QE3 is already priced into stocks, or if that hit will happen between now and Friday.

I've noticed lower volumes and volatility in stocks that I trade, so I kind of figured that everything is already priced in.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
YELP :signings: that's quite a short squeeze.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Turkeybone posted:

YELP :signings: that's quite a short squeeze.

A guy on reddit was asking why he couldn't short yelp and it was because his broker had no shares for him to borrow or something- gonna be fun to see what happens in the coming days.

E: vvv short squeeze? Dunno...

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 30, 2012

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Any why exactly is Yelp up today?

shrike82 posted:

The ETF tracks some weird "Frontier Market" index which itself invests in the following manner -
Argentina 10.59%, Chile 37.42%, Egypt 9.45%, Georgia 0.80%, Poland 2.16%, Colombia 15.36%, Kazakhstan 4.52%, Peru 6.04%, Czech Republic 1.78%, Lebanon 3.71%, Nigeria 2.62%, Oman 1.68%, Qatar 1.64%, Pakistan 1.15% and Ukraine 1.09%.

It's basically a derivative fund (ADR/GDR), I'm not sure if that's a better call than a traditional fund or not?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 30, 2012

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

shrike82 posted:

WTF. Chile is not a frontier market. They are as developed as any western market.

As for the others, unless you have experience in frontier markets stay away. I do and would not recommend it for anyone.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I was thinking of just putting a couple percent into some foreign market funds to spread some money out. Any other suggestions for them?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 30, 2012

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I like Poland and Turkey.

YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

I bought some RIMM Oct puts @ 6. With them seemingly not putting out their new phone until next year I'm hoping they'll plummet after their Q2 earnings release.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Other than a minimum wage increase in China and no QE, can anyone think of a reason why STX has dropped 12%? Because it's getting attractive.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Dolphin posted:

Other than a minimum wage increase in China and no QE, can anyone think of a reason why STX has dropped 12%? Because it's getting attractive.

Look at hard drive prices and SSD prices. Hard drive prices are dropping pretty rapidly, which will eat into STX's margins. SSD prices are absolutely plummeting, which will move a lot of people from HDD to SSD for their primary drives. Look at the number of laptops rapidly moving to SSDs as standard instead of HDD- this is going to accelerate with the rapid decline in SSD prices.

STX and WDC have a ton of headwinds in my opinion, and everyone is just celebrating the cashflow of the last year or two when they had a lot of things working in their favor.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 30, 2012

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Dolphin posted:

Plus the PC is dead. I mean I guess servers will have to store most data now, but I think the number of units being sold will decline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I honestly think the Wall Street journal is conspiring with some hedge fund over this QE poo poo.

Here is their headline:

Bernanke Signals Readiness to Do More
Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke offered up a robust defense of the effectiveness of the central bank's easy money policies and left little room for doubt that he is looking toward doing more as the Fed prepares for a September policy meeting

Bernanke said exactly what everyone thought he would say; the same "we're ready to act if conditions warrant" statement which he has regularly held for the last 6 months.

How they can imply "IMMINENT QE" from this is beyond me. Its like they are saying that because he is not ruling it out, that he must be ruling it in or something.