Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Superconsndar posted:

Yes. What these people are saying though is that because "pit bull" refers to a type, none of the breeds within the type are valid, and are all just "made up" to make people who have a general "type" of dog feel special. Their point is that because the general term "pit bull" refers to a wide range of dogs, identifying a dog as a "pit bull" is therefore impossible because it is too non-specific and BSL is therefore invalid because apparently none of the pit bull breeds are "real" dog breeds and since "pit bull" is a general term for a list of breeds that apparently don't exist, if BSL is a thing, all dogs might as well be banned as pit bulls because There Is No Such Thing As A Pit Bull.

Basically, they're all tragically confused by kennel club definitions of various pit bull breeds, dual registration of some of those breeds depending on kennel club, lack of recognition of certain breeds by various kennel clubs (the APBT not being recognized by the AKC for example) and the extreme type variation present in those breeds and because they don't understand it they just write it all off because researching stuff is hard when you're a rescue lady who just wants to save ~bait dawgs~ and ~rehabilitate ex fighters~ and own a ~troubled breed.~

Edit: They also don't seem to know what the term "type" refers to in reference to dogs. :rolleye:
I know a lot of this has come about because of the recent amendment to the Maryland law stating that pit bull mixes were no longer considered inherently dangerous (and therefore a liability to landlords), only "pure bred" pit bulls. Which of course begs the question of what a "pure bred" pit bull actually is...are they only considering APBTs purebred pitbulls, or does that include all of the bull and terrier breeds? I really think that a lot of people claiming that there is "no such thing as a pit bull" are hoping that it will take some of the steam out of breed discriminatory laws. There being no such thing as a "pure bred" pit bull would mean that Maryland could no longer consider the dogs inherently dangerous under their dumbass law. That's not to say that I don't think a lot of these folks actually believe what they're saying, but they have their hearts in the right place, at least. Still incredibly confusing for people who are uneducated about the breed and frustrating for people who are, but I can't see it doing any real foreseeable harm, especially considering how many much more damning myths and rumors about bully breeds there are out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Topoisomerase posted:

The only thing I'd add in is that a physical exam should really be done on them every so often by a veterinarian. When they're young it's perhaps not a big deal to not get one annually, but it is a good idea to have them checked out every so often if for no other reason than if they do get sick, some vet will have a baseline for how they are in health.

I'd argue that the exam is actually more important than the vaccinations, honestly.

I have literally never had a vet do more than vaguely glance in their mouths and run their hand down their back before slapping their sides and going "looks good to me!"

I realize that this is because they are lovely poor vets in the south and that an actual physical exam entails a whole lot more etc etc, but yeah.

Edit: to the point of having to practically force vets at gunpoint to actually Do A Thing or Run A Test or "do anything other than roll their eyes and check their watch" when I've had dogs who were actually sick.

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 30, 2012

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Azrael Alexander posted:

I know a lot of this has come about because of the recent amendment to the Maryland law stating that pit bull mixes were no longer considered inherently dangerous (and therefore a liability to landlords), only "pure bred" pit bulls. Which of course begs the question of what a "pure bred" pit bull actually is...are they only considering APBTs purebred pitbulls, or does that include all of the bull and terrier breeds? I really think that a lot of people claiming that there is "no such thing as a pit bull" are hoping that it will take some of the steam out of breed discriminatory laws. There being no such thing as a "pure bred" pit bull would mean that Maryland could no longer consider the dogs inherently dangerous under their dumbass law. That's not to say that I don't think a lot of these folks actually believe what they're saying, but they have their hearts in the right place, at least. Still incredibly confusing for people who are uneducated about the breed and frustrating for people who are, but I can't see it doing any real foreseeable harm, especially considering how many much more damning myths and rumors about bully breeds there are out there.

It does harm because gently caress lazy thinking.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Azrael Alexander posted:

At the very least the question of "what, specifically, are the breeds that are covered by this?" which really has been dogging these laws for years I don't think that you can have a law be enforceable if there is much question over what it takes to violate it.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

At the very least the question of "what, specifically, are the breeds that are covered by this?" which really has been dogging these laws for years I don't think that you can have a law be enforceable if there is much question over what it takes to violate it.

I would say that most of the BSL laws I've read do list specific breeds. Not all, but many/most. The "there is no such thing as a pit bull" people extend their argument to "WELL NONE OF THOSE BREEDS ARE REAL BECAUSE *insert misunderstanding of the way pit bull breeds work here*" to counter it.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Superconsndar posted:

I have literally never had a vet do more than vaguely glance in their mouths and run their hand down their back before slapping their sides and going "looks good to me!"

My vets up in northern BC, Canada are about the same. We go to the fancy local "vet hospital" that is probably the most expensive in town. They have great bedside manner, but nothing really important happened during an exam. What food, questions about exercise, here's a free toothbrush, and we are on our way.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

Shifty Pony posted:

This kinda could go in the cat thread but it is more a fundemental emotional crisis on my part. I don't know if Purrcy is going to work out in this house. He's a sweety-pie and totally cool with me (albeit a bit pesty when I am working) and astonishingly smart. The problem is I think he have a really fundamental litter box incompatibility with my other cat Sadie.

Sadie has to have a tall-sided litter box because she will attempt to bury her leavings with excessive exuberance. We are talking yard-long swaths of ejected litter. But she will preferentially use a lower sided litter box if one is available and just fling litter everywhere. We are talking like a pound or so per use, launched impressive distances across the floor. Purrcy, despite being smart in many, many other ways he does this when he needs to poop in a tall-sided litter box:

Then steps in it, kicks his paw, and flings poo everywhere in the litter box then tries to cover each little bit but really just mixes everything up soiling the entire load of litter in one go not to mention requiring me to clean the box and walls (from him flinging), his paws, and the floor (from him tracking) in the area. It is just.. everywhere :stonk: but he's fine with a low-walled box. Putting a top cover with a hole on a high box only solves the flinging onto the wall part but he still poops like that leaving the box shot for anyone else to use and he runs around leaving poo-prints. Of course it turns out that Purrcy will preferentially use a tall-sided litter box if one is there :smith:. A side entrance covered litterbox is not really an option because Sadie will launch litter out and I know my own failings and I would be less likely to be as diligent about cleaning it daily.

I just don't knoooooooow. I have one cat that can't have short boxes around and one that can't have tall! I can't find anything hopeful for changing these habits online. I'm seriously considering saying "this isn't going to work" to the rescue as they did say the first two weeks were "trial" to make sure it was a good fit but that just makes me feel like a failed kitty-father. To add to it Purrcy is now being very aggressive when he sees Sadie through his screen door and Sadie now bolts when she sees him. :(

You could put a low-sided litterbox (with a lid) into a pen or tub and then the littler Sadie kicks would at least be confined to the tub that the littler box rests in. Just thinking out(in?)side the box!

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Some vets legitimately do terrible physical exams, but I think most just do a poor job of explaining what they're doing. There are so many dogs who have come in for some unrelated reason, and then we do an exam and the dog has bilateral cruciate ruptures and the owners never knew. Or dogs who are in the beginning of heart disease, and without thoracic auscultation done at the exam to detect the murmurs/arrhythmias, the owners likely wouldn't have known until it had gotten much worse and much harder to treat. Or dogs who have masses in their abdomen, but they never get an exam so no one ever palpates that mass, and the owners don't realize what's wrong until their dog collapses and they have to rush it on emergency (where it's usually too late).

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

I gave up study time and spent 2 hours in the dark walking around the neighborhood knocking on doors, talking to random people on the street because I found a loose dog. I used one of my extra leashes to clip to his harness and he thought he was going for a fun walk with his new buddy.

NO ONE knew who the dog was, the dog didn't seem to want to go in any particular direction (hoping he would pull me "home"), animal control was closed and the non emergency police line told me to just "let him go". I am not allowed to have unauthorized dogs in my apartment, and even if I could, Dexter wouldn't have that. I refused to unclip the leash because if the roles were reversed and someone had Dexter, I wouldn't want them to send him off to get hit by a car/further lost. Thankfully, I posted something on FB and a friend of an acquaintance offered to take him for the night and now I have to rearrange my study/homework time TOMORROW to deal with this even more because the drat animal control doesn't open until loving NOON.

Moral of this story?

Buy your dog loving tags and put them on. They are like $5 at walmart.

He was a really goofy looking dog though. Definitely think he has a touch of husky in the mix because he had all the vocalizations of a husky plus the blue eye. When I asked him to sit, he did it almost immediately and then followed it with a bunch of back talk.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Shifty Pony, have you tried a covered litter box? Not a top entry one, but one with a roof and a cat flap to enter it. We got one because our kittens also liked to explode litter in all directions. It keeps most of the litter in the box and there's nothing for Purrcy to hang his rear end off.

Cat-It have decent sized boxes - we bought ours to accommodate a 9kg male ragdoll so it's quite roomy.

Justin Sane
Aug 15, 2012

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

He is super cute :3: What other dogs do you have? What made you pick this mix? I've never seen this combination before.

I have another one, his half brother, who is a year younger and the exact opposite of him. My wife picked them both out one year a part. Each time I was on a business trip and came home to a new puppy. I grew up with dogs, but these are her first.

nap time

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Braki posted:

Some vets legitimately do terrible physical exams, but I think most just do a poor job of explaining what they're doing. There are so many dogs who have come in for some unrelated reason, and then we do an exam and the dog has bilateral cruciate ruptures and the owners never knew. Or dogs who are in the beginning of heart disease, and without thoracic auscultation done at the exam to detect the murmurs/arrhythmias, the owners likely wouldn't have known until it had gotten much worse and much harder to treat. Or dogs who have masses in their abdomen, but they never get an exam so no one ever palpates that mass, and the owners don't realize what's wrong until their dog collapses and they have to rush it on emergency (where it's usually too late).

I had a shoddy physical exam (seriously he was a terrible vet, he wound up having his license suspended) pick up an abdominal mass once so I tend to agree they're not a bad idea even if you don't have great vets around. And yeah, a good vet can do a decent physical really quickly so it doesn't look like much.

I also like to do them because my vets will typically cut me deals on emergency calls without me asking for it (for example I recently had to take Bandit in for stitches on a Sunday morning, and my vet didn't charge the $40 after-hours emergency fee even though I know she had better things to do than sew up my dog) and will work out no-interest payment plans for the really expensive stuff. I look at it as kind of repaying that kindness and building a good relationship with my vets. I spread out the exams a bit so it doesn't hit my budget too hard, but they can count on seeing me a few times per year in nice, stress-free circumstances. I don't know if they look at it that way but it makes me feel better. Since I have a bunch of foolhardy herding dogs I wind up with a higher-than-average number of emergency visits, so keeping my vets happy is a high priority for me.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
oops

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

wtftastic posted:

So I found a lump under Bailey's jaw this evening while petting him, and I swear it wasn't there yesterday (He had "naked time" and got lots of pets and brushing). Its maybe ping pong sized, pretty round, and it feels like its under his skin. He doesn't mind me touching or prodding it (expect for when he's had enough handling, which he's usually finicky about anyways and he's no more bothered by this than say me touching his feet). His appetite is normal, he's normally energetic and there haven't been any changes in pooping or peeing or other behaviors recently. Is this something to freak out about? Or is it just my dog giving me a scare? (I am not asking people to substitute for a vet; I'd just like to know what it might be and how much I should worry.)

Either way I'm planning on calling the vet. It just might be a little harder to get out there because (haha) my car broke down today.

And tomorrow is my b-day. hooray for me :unsmith:

Any word yet? Poor Bailey. It's scary when you find something that you'd swear was never there before. Gary has a couple of skin tags and it freaks me out when I find a new one.

The location made me think it could be a swollen lymph node, maybe from an infected tooth. I might have lymph nodes on the brain from class though. :)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Braki posted:

Right, and I always paid for yearly physical exams because of this. Because I never got my dogs done at the same time, and didn't have a vet I was too in love with, this meant that I had multiple physical exams done by multiple vets multiple times a year on multiple dogs.

In prob 4 out of 5, they did not put their hands on my dogs except to administer whatever vaccines they were getting. No questions about them, not even a once over with their hands. Unless they were capable of palpating and listening for arythmias, etc via telepathy, they weren't examining my dogs. It got to the point where I'd comment on it and they'd just go "he looks good, he looks real good!" before scooting out the door. I have lists of "things that went undiagnosed until they became really bad (and in one case terminal) despite multiple physical exams" that is unfortunately, way too long.

I am sure all of the PI vet students will make amazing attentive vets, and I'm not being all :tinfoil: BIG VETS JUST WANT YOUR MONEY!:tinfoil: Just saying that the vets around here aren't great and they get about as much of a physical exam at the rabies clinics I take them to (sometimes more!) than at actual scheduled vet visits. I've had great vets in the past and gladly shelled out whatever it cost to go to them, but I haven't been able to find one here who was worth it so I just stopped. I realize it isn't ideal, but if the vet is legit not touching my dog during the entire visit, then...welp, I can just as easily administer shots at home.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Any word yet? Poor Bailey. It's scary when you find something that you'd swear was never there before. Gary has a couple of skin tags and it freaks me out when I find a new one.

The location made me think it could be a swollen lymph node, maybe from an infected tooth. I might have lymph nodes on the brain from class though. :)

When I woke him up this morning he was his usual spastic self and very much hungry. The swollen bump type thing is still there, but it doesn't seem to be bothering him. I'm going to call my vet this morning, and see what they say. If they're concerned, I'll try to bring him in this weekend, as my boyfriend will be visiting me and he has a car that works.

I also thought, at first, that it would be a lymph node. I'm just getting over a cold and mine get really sore when I'm sick so that's what brought it to mind. If its an infection and he just needs some antibiotics (and possibly a tooth pull) that would be a shame, but probably not too bad on the wallet. My vet doesn't usually check Bailey's teeth because he needs to be muzzled for exams, because he's not a fan of strangers poking and proding and being in his space.

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Aug 30, 2012

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
It sounds like an abscess. Sully had one last year (year before that?) 2 1/2 years ago*. It didn't bother him to have it touched, he didn't seem in any pain. It cost me 250$ to have it lanced and cared for by the vet.

*Time flies, man. :psyduck:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

ladyweapon posted:

It sounds like an abscess. Sully had one last year (year before that?) 2 1/2 years ago*. It didn't bother him to have it touched, he didn't seem in any pain. It cost me 250$ to have it lanced and cared for by the vet.

*Time flies, man. :psyduck:

I hope that's not the case, but its better than what I first thought (dog cancer of some type). I started brushing his teeth again (because he used to be such a little bitch about it). I guess too little too late. Also he was chewing the poo poo out of his Nylabone yesterday- maybe he managed to inflame something.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Superconsndar posted:

I realize it isn't ideal, but if the vet is legit not touching my dog during the entire visit, then...welp, I can just as easily administer shots at home.

The first vet I tried here didn't want to touch the drat dogs either. She literally came in, leaned against the door and stared at Ires, said "Yeah, she's probably like 5 months old or something" and left, never to return again.

I am way thankful I have A Good Vet now, who immediately gets all over the danes and they practically bowl her short self over. gently caress's sake, they charmed Kaydee out from under a bench when she got freaked out (this was when she hosed up her claw. All that work on her being friendly and social was shot to poo poo while she was hurt). They'll sit and bullshit endlessly about dogs (and other critters) and health and answer anything as long as it isn't a busy day. They're priced a little higher than the other vets in town, but I'd rather pay an extra $25 on the annual poo poo with them than have a vet who, like you said, telepathically examines the dog. Especially since Balen's 7.

Oh, and they load them down with treats every time we come in so the dogs are all in love. It's ridiculous. The dogs never want to leave while we're there :downs:

And I hope Bailey's alright. Lumps are scary as hell and I'll keep my fingers crossed it's like, a bug bite or something totally benign. :(

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The first vet I tried here didn't want to touch the drat dogs either. She literally came in, leaned against the door and stared at Ires, said "Yeah, she's probably like 5 months old or something" and left, never to return again.

I am way thankful I have A Good Vet now, who immediately gets all over the danes and they practically bowl her short self over. gently caress's sake, they charmed Kaydee out from under a bench when she got freaked out (this was when she hosed up her claw. All that work on her being friendly and social was shot to poo poo while she was hurt). They'll sit and bullshit endlessly about dogs (and other critters) and health and answer anything as long as it isn't a busy day. They're priced a little higher than the other vets in town, but I'd rather pay an extra $25 on the annual poo poo with them than have a vet who, like you said, telepathically examines the dog. Especially since Balen's 7.

Oh, and they load them down with treats every time we come in so the dogs are all in love. It's ridiculous. The dogs never want to leave while we're there :downs:

And I hope Bailey's alright. Lumps are scary as hell and I'll keep my fingers crossed it's like, a bug bite or something totally benign. :(
Thanks! :3:

I found another smaller one above the first one (but that one might be a whisker or something, the little roots for the whiskers can feel weird sometimes). I'm wondering if maybe he has a tooth infection but to be honest he's not put off of chewing. He grabs his nylabones and goes to town on them.

I called the vet and they said any changes in size or behavior in the next 24 hours and I needed to bring him. They said otherwise to keep an eye on him and call them next week to make an appointment to have it looked at. The woman I spoke with thinks it might be a lymph node or a minor infection, so fingers crossed that's what it is and its easy to fix.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Megatron is sick today. A few days ago she had some blood in her (very very loose) stool and she declined food. Part way through the day she perked back up and clearly felt better. This morning she again declined food and seemed to be feeling under the weather despite her poop being completely normal.

I've been a bit worried about her teeth lately (she's 7, tiny, and has never had a cleaning or a brushing) and now I'm a bit worried that there's something more ominous going on. If this keeps up it's vet time for tinydog.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

We had a completely crappy vet the first time we took Psyche to ask about putting her on prozac. We decided to see this one woman because she was supposedly well versed in behavior and medication for behavioral problems. She was completely disinterested in us, Psyche, or her behavior (which we were just discovered the extent of) and wasn't interested in making us or Psyche comfortable. She basically prescribed the prozac after two seconds of me asking her (I would have gotten a second opinion at that point except that I was already convinced by my trainer, who has like ten years experience with behavioral problems).

So after that, we asked to see different vets in that office and have stuck with the ones that actually seem to care about our dog. Ones who handle her very nicely, trying to make her comfortable even though she's muzzled and they could get away with whatever. They even stay a few minutes to try and offer her a treat, which she never takes, and ask about our behavioral training and are happy when we say it's going well. It makes a huge difference, especially because they let us help manage her during the visits by letting us hold her instead of the vet techs. Psyche was always relatively comfortable going to the vets until this summer where we had her blood drawn three times and she decided she now hates that place (though she just tries to leave, she doesn't throw fits and is still very well behaved).

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Hey Super, look at these hilarious pibbles.

http://caspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=30837&result=41&statusID=3&s=adoption

That is the ugliest dog I have seen.

http://caspcapets.shelterbuddy.com/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=30921&result=42&statusID=3&s=adoption

Annnd skeptical dog.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Kiri koli posted:

We had a completely crappy vet the first time we took Psyche to ask about putting her on prozac. We decided to see this one woman because she was supposedly well versed in behavior and medication for behavioral problems. She was completely disinterested in us, Psyche, or her behavior (which we were just discovered the extent of) and wasn't interested in making us or Psyche comfortable. She basically prescribed the prozac after two seconds of me asking her

Hahaha it's kind of sad and weird that there are vet versions of people doctors who do this with anti-anxiety meds and painkillers.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Shifty Pony posted:

litter flinging edge pooper

The bane of my existence, right there. I guess I should be thankful that Escobar goes into the box, scratches for preparation, climbs on the edge, pees/poops, then walks away sans burying. Spice will at least use the box like normal then bury her waste but she tends to be a litter kicker, so I found this high sided with u-shaped entrance uncovered box in conjunction with a litter mat of this size to be the best set-up I've had so far for their combined issues. The only litter that makes it onto the floor is stuff tracked in Escobar's fluffy as gently caress paws, but I think that could be remedied if the litter mat were a ridged one instead of kinda like those mats they put in front of cashiers to stand.

I tried covered litterboxes, but Escobar just peed on top of it :saddowns:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

1up posted:

The bane of my existence, right there. I guess I should be thankful that Escobar goes into the box, scratches for preparation, climbs on the edge, pees/poops, then walks away sans burying. Spice will at least use the box like normal then bury her waste but she tends to be a litter kicker, so I found this high sided with u-shaped entrance uncovered box in conjunction with a litter mat of this size to be the best set-up I've had so far for their combined issues. The only litter that makes it onto the floor is stuff tracked in Escobar's fluffy as gently caress paws, but I think that could be remedied if the litter mat were a ridged one instead of kinda like those mats they put in front of cashiers to stand.

I tried covered litterboxes, but Escobar just peed on top of it :saddowns:

I originally tried a design like that for both cats. Sadie goes right at the entrance and launches litter out the low area trying to cover it up, and Purrcy enters via the U then does his perch-poop thing at a corner. He's also taken to rocketing out via just about any side possible meaning I'll near a litter ma the size of an area rug. Sadie now won't use a covered box because I think she's scared of being cornered there.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Shifty Pony posted:

I originally tried a design like that for both cats. Sadie goes right at the entrance and launches litter out the low area trying to cover it up, and Purrcy enters via the U then does his perch-poop thing at a corner. He's also taken to rocketing out via just about any side possible meaning I'll near a litter ma the size of an area rug. Sadie now won't use a covered box because I think she's scared of being cornered there.

How about a top-entrance box? I have a covered box with a door for my litter-kicker (I was concerned, but she adjusted just fine with a little Cat Attract mixed in) but I've heard plenty of success stories with top-entrance as well. You can also put your litter tray into a tall cardboard box with a hole cut in the front for an entrance, that way there's no cover but they can't kick a ton of litter out.

There are lots of solutions for this but I'd start with a cheap and LARGE covered box (too-small covered boxes seem to be a problem for most cats and could explain the "trapped/cornered" thing from Sadie) and see if they'll try it. Definitely mix in some Cat Attract at first. This one from Target is dirt cheap, it's awesome and you can remove the door at first while they get used to it and then re-attach it later.

(Also: my iCal gives me a daily reminder every evening to scoop the litterbox. Easy, and it works!)

Just to give you an idea, this is what my entryway looked like when I had an open pan instead of a covered box: huge piles of cat litter with a little dumbass rolling around in it like a pig. Revolting:

I still have the sisal mat under the box but there's almost no tracked litter on it anymore since she has to do a little hop out of the box door, it makes a huuuge difference as I am totally repulsed if I find even one little nugget of litter on my foot after walking around the apartment.

demozthenes fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 30, 2012

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

demozthenes posted:

How about a top-entrance box? I have a covered box with a door for my litter-kicker (I was concerned, but she adjusted just fine with a little Cat Attract mixed in) but I've heard plenty of success stories with top-entrance as well. You can also put your litter tray into a tall cardboard box with a hole cut in the front for an entrance, that way there's no cover but they can't kick a ton of litter out.

There are lots of solutions for this but I'd start with a cheap and LARGE covered box (too-small covered boxes seem to be a problem for most cats and could explain the "trapped/cornered" thing from Sadie) and see if they'll try it. Definitely mix in some Cat Attract at first. This one from Target is dirt cheap, it's awesome and you can remove the door at first while they get used to it and then re-attach it later.

Sadie is ok with a top entrance box as long as she can stick her head out (which looks hilarious). Purrcy however still manages to pull off his yoga moves, only with the hole as the ledge instead. He still jumps on the poop and mixes/tracks it everywhere. As in... I had to clean flung poo off the wall four feet up from when he hopped out and vigorously kicked his back leg.

That covered box from target is the one I tried to use. I think it is the solution for Purrcy but Sadie didn't use it for almost a whole day and then immediately heavily used her old litter box when I made it available again. I have been using cat attract litter which is partially what is making Purrcy's entire box soiling adventures so annoying.

I have been spending the last few days trying just about every combination. Now I am getting really freaked out about the work I need to make up but I can't really work now because Purrcy who is in the office area has decided that my legs are totally there for him to bite and scratch hard unless I am actively playing with him using another toy, but I can't put him anywhere else because he beelines to attack Sadie. Then I have a week long trip in two weeks because my parents wouldn't lay off the drat guilt tripping that they haven't seen me in all of three months. In short I am having a major "I really hosed up here" moment kicked off by my inability to speak up when a "meet Purrcy" visit turned into a "and we'll just leave him here" situation that I was not expecting.

(perhaps that last part needs to be an E/N post or something)

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 30, 2012

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Dat eyebrow :3:

Gary came in to help out with our class on fitting head collars, harnesses and so on. He fell asleep under my desk for a while, then wandered around getting pats, then hung out with the teacher. She lost her poo poo and baby-talked at him for like 5 minutes telling him how cute he is. :smugdog:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Max isn't allowed to bite things for two weeks. His favorite thing to do is biting things. These next two weeks are going to be rough.

I've stepped up the walks to tire him out more so he doesn't have as much energy to play, but he still comes up to me wanting to wrestle which involves biting my arms again since we took all of his toys away, looks like we're going backwards on that training temporarily.

Swollen dog snout (sorry it's so dark I didn't want to use the flash right in his face):

And a happier less swollen doggy 24 hours later:

His upper lip always gets caught on his one remaining canine, which makes him look like he's got a smirk on his face.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Max isn't allowed to bite things for two weeks. His favorite thing to do is biting things. These next two weeks are going to be rough.

And a happier less swollen doggy 24 hours later:

He looks EXACTLY like Blueberry, a client's dog who came at me one time when I walked through their front door. If I hadn't managed to shove my handbag between us, he would have taken a chunk out of me. My client was right there, too. Was in the process of taking him upstairs to put him in a room when I walked in (which she'd told me to do) and she just didn't have a right enough hold on him.

The resemblance is uncanny.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Just dropped Psyche off at the boarding place. She was doing really great all morning, a little worried because she knew something was up, but still pretty happy. Then just as we walked out the door, she gave the most pitiful wail.

Oh dog, why must you make me worry so. :(

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Oh Psyche, you will be okay. :ohdear: Anxiety dogs make me sad. :( I do what I can to help the separation anxiety daycare dogs but there's only so much I can do in that environment.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I know there are a bunch of NE OH PI folks so if anyone in the Akron/Medina area has a dog that is prey drive-y, the Great Lakes Rat Terrier Club is starting up a ratting event called "Barn Hunt" October 6th. Any breed or mix is welcome! I saw something saying they needed to be able to fit through a 18" tube but I can't find it now so maybe even big dogs? I might go volunteer or just sit in on the clinic if Major is too big. It sounds like a blast.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Kiri koli posted:

Just dropped Psyche off at the boarding place. She was doing really great all morning, a little worried because she knew something was up, but still pretty happy. Then just as we walked out the door, she gave the most pitiful wail.

Oh dog, why must you make me worry so. :(

:ohdear: I just dropped off Koji to be boarded, too. He knew something was up when we were packing last night and I was measuring food out. He kept trying to go for the door. Oh, bubs...

On a lighter note, he's lost about 2.5 lbs and is now around 25 (I made him go on the scale when we got to the vet this morning). Still want to get another pound or so off of him but progress! :3:

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Has anyone here gotten a barkbox before? I finally ordered my first one for Dex after months of debate and now I cannot wait for it to get here. I am a fool for mystery items :(

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

cryingscarf posted:

Has anyone here gotten a barkbox before? I finally ordered my first one for Dex after months of debate and now I cannot wait for it to get here. I am a fool for mystery items :(

One of the bloggers I follow gets them, and they always look so awesome. It's a good combination of toys and treats, including ones that will keep them busy for a while like antlers. If I was employed, I'd totally sign up for my boyfriend's dog.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Man, PI is turning me into such a pet stalker. I was so ridiculously pleased to run into my neighbor and get to meet their new dog. I asked if she was a pit bull mix and her owner said "no, she's a rat terrier mix." Which...yeah, I buy, but I'd guess that the mix is with a small-framed APBT. Incredibly appealing little young dog, sooooo happy to show off her tummy spots. They're a pretty active family, too, so I expect they can keep up with her.

My daughter got to tell her to sit and then give her a tiny treat. :3:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Amberlyn posted:

He looks EXACTLY like Blueberry, a client's dog who came at me one time when I walked through their front door. If I hadn't managed to shove my handbag between us, he would have taken a chunk out of me. My client was right there, too. Was in the process of taking him upstairs to put him in a room when I walked in (which she'd told me to do) and she just didn't have a right enough hold on him.

The resemblance is uncanny.

Where are you located? Max was picked up as a stray a couple months ago, there's an astronomically small chance it's the same dog.

We've made some good progress on teaching him that toys are for biting and that he's only allowed to lick people and not bite them. He doesn't bite hard, but he likes to mouth our arms while playing and can get a little rough if he gets really into it but he's never broken skin. The vet said no chew toys or bones for 14 days after his tooth extraction and we're only on day 4 and he's getting a bit frustrated with his inability to play the way he likes to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

2tomorrow posted:

I had a bit of a lightbulb moment this weekend when I was working with a police dog trainer who gave a clinic to my SAR team. I learned a ton about drive and about raising and handling a working dog. He suggested that I stop making George socialize with new people and dogs, because George it stresses him out (based on his submissive behaviors and body language as he interacted with people other than me). Instead he should be in his crate at team trainings or leashed up and obedient to me. I of course have been doing the opposite and encouraging George to socialize with everyone, because he is nervous about new people and I thought it was helping.

This trainer believes that there's a sort of time limit on socializing puppies to accept strangers comfortably, and if they miss it it's best to get them to tolerate it (so that, say, a vet can handle them, or if a kid runs up and pets the dog before you can stop it the dog won't bite), but beyond that manage the dog so it doesn't have to interact with people. He believes that it's just less stressful for the dog, because then it can just trust it's handler's judgment rather than having to figure new people out on its own. That's a bad paraphrase of the very long conversation we had, but it made a lot of sense to me. His attitude is pretty much, why push it? The dog's going to be happier with his "pack of 2" and letting his handler deal with new people, so why force him into an uncomfortable situation when you can just manage his life so he doesn't have to? Of course this is from a working dog perspective, where you manage their life to a huge degree anyway so it isn't too hard to tweak that.
Healy came to me at 6mos. I've never tried to get her to greet people. She was afraid of men and children, when she came to me and her fear of men lasted at least a year. Now she is fine with all adults and even some children she'll approach on her own accord in order to be petted. I never tried to socialize her outside of getting her somewhat used to different surroundings as I didn't really need her to interacting with people, just tolerating them around was enough. When she was on a leash she didn't have to worry as I kept people away from her. Off leash she had the choice of staying with me and being nice and quiet or not being nice and quiet and going away from me and the situation. At 2yrs old she participated in the Finnish character test and got a pretty nice score and most importantly was very much alright with the male judge. Little over half a year from that Healy began practicing search (and rescue) and didn't really need any real work to get her comfortable enough for her to be rewarded by the subjects in the forest without me around. It still took her maybe half a year or so to be comfortable enough with people petting her in those situations.

edit:
I almost forgot, but go here: http://youtu.be/kQ_3f4bLkME
If you want to see Swedish Kennel Club's production "Making assessments of dogs' respiration" It's a complement to the Breed-Specific Instructions for Judges, BSI.

Riiseli fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 31, 2012

• Locked thread