Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

I just marked a book I didn't care for at 2 stars and Audible immediately offered to let me return it and get a new book free. I thought this was super cool and wanted to share. Please do not loving abuse this like a bunch of slickdeals douchebags, thank you in advance.
I was ecstatic when I found out I could return this poo poo Cassandra Clare book I bought without doing a quick search on the author first. I needed something to help me get to sleep and exhibited some poor judgement, I couldn't handle more than 20 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Thesaurus posted:

Can you recommend any books that deal with my specific hangup? It involves being turned off by listening to extended graphic descriptions of a mishappen dwarf having sex with a prostitute, read by an old man impersonating a woman's voice.

Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy.

It's a gently caress of a lot less boring than GRRM's long-winded, neurotic crap, and the narrator is excellent, rather than sounding like a crummy Hagrid knock-off.
Seriously, Dotrice is terrible, and emotional scenes just sound tired and forced.
Steven Pacey speaks with so much real emotion, you'd think he wrote Abercrombie's books himself.
It also has a widely diverse class of characters from all walks of life, rather than just focussing on the loving ruling class, too.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 23, 2012

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Mister Macys? More like Mister Edgy, hatin' on great stuff.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Not my fault that he's so boring, he makes Tolkien's and Frank Herbert's last two or three books sound fast paced, and energetic by comparison.

GRRM's series is the Star Trek: The Motion Picture of fantasy novels. :colbert:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 23, 2012

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Mister Macys posted:

Not my fault that he's so boring, he makes Tolkien's and Frank Herbert's last two or three books sound fast paced, and energetic by comparison.

GRRM's series is the Star Trek: The Motion Picture of fantasy novels. :colbert:

Yeah, I'm kinda regretting getting Game of Thrones as my first audiobook. Nothing against the narrator, he's great, but listening to so much dull banter has me swearing profusely at my MP3 player and looking generally insane to my family.

I think I might get one of Stephen Colbert's books to listen to instead. God knows I need a serious laugh after all that. :colbert:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mister Macys posted:

Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy.

It's a gently caress of a lot less boring than GRRM's long-winded, neurotic crap, and the narrator is excellent, rather than sounding like a crummy Hagrid knock-off.
Seriously, Dotrice is terrible, and emotional scenes just sound tired and forced.
Steven Pacey speaks with so much real emotion, you'd think he wrote Abercrombie's books himself.
It also has a widely diverse class of characters from all walks of life, rather than just focussing on the loving ruling class, too.

How do you feel about Zelazny's Amber? Honestly curious. Also the audio books' narrator's quality, if you have heard them?

I just started them this month, and I am digging his sort of noirish narrator prose, and clipped dialogue.

I read the first three GRRMs before I got the audio, but holyshit are they looooooooong to listen to! :(

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 31, 2012

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Geektox posted:

Yeah, I'm kinda regretting getting Game of Thrones as my first audiobook. Nothing against the narrator, he's great, but listening to so much dull banter has me swearing profusely at my MP3 player and looking generally insane to my family.

I think I might get one of Stephen Colbert's books to listen to instead. God knows I need a serious laugh after all that. :colbert:

Listen to a Scalzi book as your first audiobook, like Old Man's War. They're snappy and great, awesome little popcorn sci-fi.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Or if you're trying to get over the single voice aspect, and are looking for something you can listen to in discrete chunks, an audio drama like World War Z might be even better.

Henry Rollins! :swoon:

Or really, anything by George Guidall.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
eh, Guidall's voice is just too soft for a lot of his narrations to be enjoyable for me. I listened to a lot of his work in the 90s and early 2000s, and any character I hear him portray always comes across as a soft, doughy kind of dude.

Try something by Barbara Rosenblat. That women is incredible.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

coyo7e posted:

How do you feel about Zelazny's Amber? Honestly curious. Also the audio books' narrator's quality, if you have heard them?

I just started them this month, and I am digging his sort of noirish narrator prose, and clipped dialogue.

I read the first three GRRMs before I got the audio, but holyshit are they looooooooong to listen to! :(

Never read/listened to his books, or the narrator Alessandro Juliani before. In fact, I'm not big on fantasy in the first place. (D&D really made me jaded as gently caress) Wil Wheaton is alright though. I've listened to him in METAtropolis: Cascadia, and War of the Worlds (dramatised). Both were narrated by various Star Trek cast members. Been tempted to grab Redshirts. I dunno... I'm sitting on two credits right now. Maybe.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 3, 2012

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Wheaton is a great narrator for stories told from the perspective of the main character being a great insufferable prick. Which are almost all of Scalzi's recent novels.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Until September 18, Audible is having a $4.95 sale for members which includes, among other books, the entire Dresden Files collection.
Read (almost entirely) by James Marsters (Spike) of Buffy/Angel fame.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Any good narrators for history books? (I'm looking for ancient and Middle-Ages history in particular)

As a side note, recently got the audiobook for Crocodile on the Sandbank, by Elizabeth Peters. Barbara Rosenblat is a truly excellent narrator.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Scott Brick (Salt, Moneyball, No One Would Listen)
Christian Rodska (Churchill's history of WWII/English Speaking Peoples)
John Kricher (Modern Scholar: Behold the Mighty Dinosaur)
Joe Barret (various political/financial history books)
Paul Boehmer (The Price of Inequality, Soon I Will be Invincible)
Sean Runnette (Engines of Change, A History of the World in 6 Glasses)
Charlton Griffin (Various most Roman/Greek classics- very dry speaker)
Coleen Marlo (The Poisoner's Handbook, Wicked Plants, Wicked Bugs)

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 8, 2012

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Awesome, thanks a lot.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Mister Macys posted:

Until September 18, Audible is having a $4.95 sale for members which includes, among other books, the entire Dresden Files collection.
Read (almost entirely) by James Marsters (Spike) of Buffy/Angel fame.
I'm showing books 1, 2, 3, 4 and 13 are not on sale. Anyone else having this issue? I'm seriously ready to buy all these books but I don't know why they're not all on sale.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

My bad, I skimmed through the list. It's 5-12, + Side Jobs.

Sorry, eh? :canada:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Well I sent their support an email asking if i could get them all at $5. It can't hurt to try. It's Amazon so who knows when their amazing customer support will make an exception.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I tried to cancel my Audible subscription today, but they offered me $20 to stay. I took the $20 and found 3 books I wanted from their Win-Win sale and then noticed they offer large discounts on books you already own on Kindle. What's even better is this 'Whispersync' thingy they have now which, if what they say is true, syncs your kindle and audiobooks for seamless transition between reading and listening. If it works as intended I'm going to be thrilled.

Audible continues to impress me. I've tried several times now in 4 years to cancel my subscription only to have them woo me back.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've never had any complaints about Audible's service, once I changed my subscription from 2 credits to one but they charged me twice, for two and then one, for some reason (I'd made the change pretty close to the renewal date,) and when I called up I was treated very courteously and they reversed both the charges and confirmed that I was on the 1-a-month subscription.

I got 3 free credits that month, and went back to two credits shortly after since I was tearing through books.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

If anyone cares the Audible rep said they could not give me the first four Dresden books for $4.95. Oh well.

I noticed this whispersync audio/ebook thing starting to pop up on a lot of titles so I think I'm going to grab a of the $5 books that have it, and their kindle counterparts so I can try it out. Anyone using it yet?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
No I'm intrigued though, since I have a bunch of ebooks and some of them I also have on audible.

RobinPierce
Aug 29, 2009
I'm just over halfway through listening to Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Since Prisoner of Heaven came out recently, I wanted to read the set before it again - but then my many-read copy of Shadow of the Wind fell behind my bed and I happen to know that's spider haven, so off i went to the audio book.

It's fantastic to listen to. Given that I've read the book five or six times, this is weirdly like discovering it all over again. I'm kind of tempted to just listen to the Angel's game on audio, since I got halfway through reading it and then somehow it made its way into a corner and never came out again. Perhaps audio could redeem it!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Free Public Domain Audiobooks From Audible

"Buy" the free ebook from Amazon and it will give you a link to a free book from Audible.
No Kindle required!
Professional recordings. NOT Librivox.

You aren't signing up for a trial.
"Membership Plan: You are currently not enrolled in one of our membership plans"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Regarding Whispersync For Voice, do you always get the audiobook included free for a book that has it if you buy the Kindle version? Or do you normally have to buy both separately? I ask because I really like the idea but in general I don't think I would pay twice as much to have both versions (I would probably pay 15-20% extra at most).

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

mystes posted:

Regarding Whispersync For Voice, do you always get the audiobook included free for a book that has it if you buy the Kindle version? Or do you normally have to buy both separately? I ask because I really like the idea but in general I don't think I would pay twice as much to have both versions (I would probably pay 15-20% extra at most).
They're not free, but you don't pay full price either. I spot checked a book on my wish list and it's $5 to add the audiobook. It's a good deal considering Audible credits cost about $15, and buying the audiobook outright is very high, like $30.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

They're not free, but you don't pay full price either. I spot checked a book on my wish list and it's $5 to add the audiobook. It's a good deal considering Audible credits cost about $15, and buying the audiobook outright is very high, like $30.
Ah, neat. I said I didn't want to pay that much extra but I was mostly thinking in comparison to just the audiobook, in cases where I already knew I wanted that version, so the fact that it doesn't actually come free with the Kindle version isn't actually that bad.

Edit: Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like all books that have whispersync for voice allow you to obtain the audiobook for a reduced price, but you can see the ones that do here: http://www.amazon.com/s/?node=5744840011

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 12, 2012

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Hunh. Yahtzee (Zero Punctuation) wrote and narrated a book:

Mogworld

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Mister Macys posted:

I wanna do it with Dune too, but the ebook isn't available in my country, due to some :canada: bullshit, or another.

I just finished listening to Dine via Audible.

Enjoyed the story and the recording has a good cast of readers but the production was all a bit jumbled.

Voice actors will read their parts in some chapters but in others it's the main narrator reading got them. You end up with characters having accents one chapter but not the next. Or characters are clearly old on chapters but sound really young in others.

A bit confusing but more annoying than anything.

I've read mixed reviews of Dune Messiah. Anyone strongly recommend continuing?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Tortilla Maker posted:

It depends on how much you enjoyed all the metaphysical spice dreams and prophecy stuff that was in the first one because that stuff takes a major role in Dune Messiah. If you liked all the stuff about prescience, and Paul's inner monologues where he thinks about it, then you should continue.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Dune Messiah is probably the shortest of the Dune novels, and least dense since you've already been introduced to all of characters. It basically follows the story of Maud-dib realizing he has unleashed a jihad on civilization and trying to figure out a way to stop it from getting worse via his future sight. Also involves political intrigue of factions trying to manipulate his messiah status.

Children of Dune is a pretty slow-burn book, but pretty good as well, and involves his children. Books 4+ takes place like thousands of years later, and get pretty dense and a little incomprehensible unless you're really into it.

And yeah, the weird cast thing with those recording sucked. By the second book it is mostly the single narrator taking over, and I believe by the third book it is completely him again.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tortilla Maker posted:

I've bought up to God Emperor. The first three books are the best.
The next three are a... product of their time. ( :lsd: )
I just can't get through them.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004
I read the first three. I say the original was heavy on adventure, with equal parts religion/philosophy (or as other people put it, the prescient stuff) and political poo poo added in.

Messiah of Dune seemed just a mix of political plotting and the religion stuff, which I digged. It may even have been my favorite (the last 75 pages or so at least)

Children of Dune brought back a bit of the desert adventure.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I got 4 credits languishing on Audible... I need to get out of this Jonathan Davis kick, but I don't know what to get. I wanted to listen to Cyteen, which does have some parts by Davis, but it's mostly narrated by a woman and I usually don't like listening to female narrators. Honestly I wouldn't mind some kind of easy murder-mystery-thriller series like 'Dragon Tattoo' since that last thing I listened to was Origins of Political Order which was quite the heavy read. Any suggestions?

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Whoops I made a DP

Womyn Capote fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 25, 2012

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mister Macys posted:

Hunh. Yahtzee (Zero Punctuation) wrote and narrated a book:

Mogworld

Huh, geting the e-book version is a bugger so this might be the way to do it then.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm having issues with iTunes. Big surprise right?

I've been listening to audio books while I run and finally ran out of the ones my friends gave me on a flash drive. For those books I simply copied them into my media folder and added them to my itunes library in order to sync them with my ipod.

Well tonight I decided to buy one for myself rather than mooch off of friends. Bought Children of Hurin from itunes store, downloaded it, and attempted to sync it onto my ipod. No dice. There was an error message saying it's not authorized for this computer. Any ideas? Is there some special hoop I have to jump through to sync legally bought books onto my ipod? Why is it more difficult than media I didn't actually purchase myself?

edit:
Apparently I'm allowed to authorize up to 5 computers to use my downloaded itunes stuff. I just never authorized my new pc I guess. Funny how I figure this out 20 seconds after asking for help when I screwed around trying to make it work for like 20 minutes earlier...

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 3, 2012

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Schwarzenegger finally released an autobiography.
Great stuff.

Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

Part 2 of the Mongoliad by Neal Stephenson was release a week or two ago.

Audible Link

I really enjoyed the first part. He always mixes enough history and fiction to keep me tuned in. Looking forward to reading this some time in the next few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Mister Macys posted:

Schwarzenegger finally released an autobiography.
Great stuff.

Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story

Putting this on my wish list so when I get my credit next month I can get it for $8 instead of $15.

The fact that this is narrated by both Stephen Lang and Arnold is going to make this really fun to listen to, isn't it?