Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
What of TheWorldOfWesteros is a lot smaller than Earth but orbits closer to the sun which is smaller and fainter so the climatic differences between north and south aren't as drastic. :science:

And we do know for certain that GRRM world has no axial tilt. And Magic.

Personally I think that the world GRRM created is engaging and very interesting, even if it's just a climatically unrealistic ripoff of Europe tilted sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SaviourX posted:

So, did you all just give up on the grrmfic or what the hell? I've got poo poo going down this weekend and next weekend but you can bet I'll be writing.

:spergin:

Naw man, just get to it. Chapter 18 is available if you've got the time and mental fortitude to spare. Not sure what else needs writing though.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The dragons will come and supply central forced air heating for everyone in Westeros.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Thulsa Doom posted:

Which then raises the question, why the hell does anyone live in Westeros? You'd think, at least, that the Targaryens would use their invincible killing machines to forge an empire in the part of the world that doesn't suck.

We don't know that they knew about all that poo poo. The Targs are like the retarded vestiges of RomeValyria in Gurmworld so maybe they just chilled in EuropeWesteros for a few after Valyria got nuked or whatever. Gurm's setting falls apart pretty hard if you try to consider timelines at all.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2012/08/31/social_mobility_in_targaryen_westeros.html

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Boy I wish I could get paid for writing *popular cultural thing* meets *current events* thing. Internet Journalism!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
That article has some pretty creepy subtext about immigration and :biotruths: and stuff.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I have no idea what the hell Yglesias's point is, either, because it's the opposite of his usual points about immigration and social mobility.

e: ah, ok, it's a counterpoint to this piece about how taxation rates have little to do with intergenerational social mobility. Basic point Yglesias is making is that class mobility is mostly about demographics. I have no idea where the genetic bit came in, because he's not a genetic determinist.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 1, 2012

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

If the google duck is updated, then this may be wrong:

So it looks like these folks were working on chapters, but haven't said if they're done drafts or not:

Chapter 2 – Ardi (SpaceMost)
Chapter 5 – Brendan (geeves)
Chapter 6 - Kate [SEX] (JustFrakkingDoIt) or syscall girl?
Chapter 8 – Ardi (1stGear)
Chapter 9 - Sensa [SEX] (IRQ)
Chapter 10 - Brendan [SEX] (Badly Jester)
Chapter 12 – Sensa [SEX] (Undead Unicorn)
Chapter 14 – Brendan (The Mutato)
Chapter 17 – Ardi (my cat is norris)
Chapter 18 – Sensa (was Contra's) - I'll take this one fo sho. Make Contraculus all sexylike (since it isn't reality)
Chapter 22 – Ardi (Cirofren)

What's happenin, fools?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SaviourX posted:

What's happenin, fools?

One and the same. I need to get to cracking on the actual [SEX] part. I think I should be able to finish it within the week.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A week? I expected better from you perverts. :colbert:

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Slippery Nipple posted:

When Game of Bones is done can you guys use your collective billions to make a Watchmen rip off next? I want to see Littlefinger blow up Kings Landing with a giant vagina squid.

Watchmen is just a WildCards rip off... it should be easy!

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I abandoned chapter 22 a few pages back. One chapter is more than enough.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
I finished chapter 14! And I'll take on another because I am a masochist.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

SaviourX posted:

If the google duck is updated, then this may be wrong:

So it looks like these folks were working on chapters, but haven't said if they're done drafts or not:

Chapter 2 – Ardi (SpaceMost)
Chapter 5 – Brendan (geeves)
Chapter 8 – Ardi (1stGear)
Chapter 9 - Sensa [SEX] (IRQ)
Chapter 10 - Brendan [SEX] (Badly Jester)
Chapter 12 – Sensa [SEX] (Undead Unicorn)
Chapter 14 – Brendan (The Mutato)
Chapter 17 – Ardi (my cat is norris)
Chapter 18 – Sensa (was Contra's) - I'll take this one fo sho. Make Contraculus all sexylike (since it isn't reality)
Chapter 22 – Ardi (Cirofren)

What's happenin, fools?
I was holding off for 1 & 3 to be written so I could toe the line.

Is there anywhere the written chapters are all assembled?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yes. GRRM's sex dungeon.

(It's the Golden Corral on San Mateo Boulevard.)

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yes. GRRM's sex dungeon.

(It's the Golden Corral on San Mateo Boulevard.)

Ohhh, the Golden Corral.

.....I've made a huge mistake.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo the Red Wedding is in season/series 3?

Well I guess that's good since there may not be any Red Wings games this season.

Anyways school started and I'm stuck behind grading papers most nights, but I'll try to keep up.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
The best thing they can do is gently caress with the timeline and trick the audience in to thinking "The Red Wedding" is Sansa's wedding to Tyrion and put that right out there as an episode title.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I maintain that the tagline for season 3/4 should be "Four Weddings. More Funerals."

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Well, the Hugo awards are out, guess who didn't win? The TV show did though.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Fly Molo posted:

Ohhh, the Golden Corral.

.....I've made a huge mistake.

What, were you whipping your sub at the OK Corral? Tsk tsk. They don't have a Country Gravy Wonderfall there, man.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Depends on how hard you're whipping your country boy sub there, doesn't it? :unsmigghh:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504138

Give me the gurmiest gurm pictures so we can have some literal wild cards. :catdrugs:

I was going to use that horrible picture of him with a monkey picking poo poo out of his hair but his livejournal seems to be down.

e:

HMMMMMMM

IRQ fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 3, 2012

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
put some grrm pics here: http://imgur.com/a/M9RcB

sorry I dont have the unedited monkey one.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's weird looking at all these pictures of Martin, because he kind of reminds me of my father- if my father lost all social skills, became an absolute fucker instead of a lawyer/teacher, and forgot how to trim his beard or go to a loving barber once in a while. I feel like I'm looking into a mirror universe where The Lord of the Rings became something more than his favorite books, something that consumed him and rotted him inside.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Great. I take summer off from the bad thread and now find out theres sexy fanfics to be had. Whatever happened to Clegane, PI?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
So Wild Cards, right? I never realized how horrible it was even by the first book.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3501532&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post407142674

The chapter listed there (after the horrible Hunter S. Thompson interlude) starts off with the graphic rape and murder of an 11 year old, and gets worse from there.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

whowhatwhere posted:

So Wild Cards, right? I never realized how horrible it was even by the first book.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3501532&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post407142674

The chapter listed there (after the horrible Hunter S. Thompson interlude) starts off with the graphic rape and murder of an 11 year old, and gets worse from there.

What the gently caress what the gently caress what the gently caress what the gently caress :stonk:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mythicknight posted:

Great. I take summer off from the bad thread and now find out theres sexy fanfics to be had. Whatever happened to Clegane, PI?

The detective genre is dead, my friend. The sex having genre is where the money is.

Follow the money (to GURM'S sex dungeon).

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Fly Molo posted:

What the gently caress what the gently caress what the gently caress what the gently caress :stonk:

And I cut out the worst. There's a couple paragraphs about exactly what happens.

Puppetman, the one who does it by proxy with psychic powers, is the one who's 11. The girl is described as "older," so maybe she's 13 or 14.

...that doesn't help at all, does it.
:negative:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The worst part of this is that I have a friend who defends the first book as really not all that bad :gonk:

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

Hey guys I'm back from Dragon*Con or whatever.

I looked at the last page or two and updated the lead post with the new called/dropped/completed information.

The Mutato posted:

I finished chapter 14! And I'll take on another because I am a masochist.

Just let me know which one you want. Remember, any chapters that have not been started yet are up for grabs, although Cirofren dropped Chapter 22 if you want to get one with no claim on it at all.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Hmm yes, interesting.

(I wish I was talented enough to make it a They Live style gif.)

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 5, 2012

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
GRRosplay is a thing now?

Net there'll be GRRMsuiting as a fetish.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
"Next"? :reject::fh:

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

whowhatwhere posted:

The worst part of this is that I have a friend who defends the first book as really not all that bad :gonk:

Is he that one guy in that thread who keeps arguing about it?

With that costume, I love how the key thing that tells you it's not the real GRRM is that he's not gross-looking enough.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

thornghost posted:

Hey guys I'm back from Dragon*Con or whatever.

And you didn't join us for any meet-ups or drinking. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

so is it out yet

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)