Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

uncleKitchener posted:

Qanbas are Chinese EightArcs (I could be wrong). Personally, if I had some money for a second stick, I would've ordered an EithArc from the US right away.

Other way around, EightArc just rebrands Q2's and uses a very slightly different top panel to reposition one or two buttons, but other than that they are internally identical.

The build quality on Qanbas is about like this:
Q1>Q2Pro>Q2>Q4

Eightarcs and Qanbas are pretty decent over all. I personally think there are better asian budget stick makes out there right now (futuresky for one) but they aren't really a thing you can get in the US.

If you want a decent dual od stick you should probably go either a Q4 or a PS1/2 stick run through a converter.

If you can deal with other people and such, you should get someone to dual mod your stick (or do it yourself!) with a Chimp board or a new Cthulhu PCB.

You could also toss the PAewang PCB in there since its cheaper. The build quality on them aint so good though. I have one in two of my sticks and neither has died yet, but I've heard stories of them pooping out on people frequently.

The eTokki Omni is also a viable option (available in Korean and Japanese flavors). Its make and sold by a guy named Laugh (who used to be a super pro Ryu player back in the day) who sells them through his site eTokki.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The eTokki Omni is also a viable option (available in Korean and Japanese flavors). Its make and sold by a guy named Laugh (who used to be a super pro Ryu player back in the day) who sells them through his site eTokki.com.

thanks for this, I'm always curious about new stuff, especially Korean.
I'll buy and report back when it arrives

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

thanks for this, I'm always curious about new stuff, especially Korean.
I'll buy and report back when it arrives

I have one of these and it's a good stick, but pretty shortly in my USB cable got a short in it and I had to replace it. It was a $2 fix but kind of a pain, and I've heard a lot of people had the same problem.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jmcrofts posted:

I have one of these and it's a good stick, but pretty shortly in my USB cable got a short in it and I had to replace it. It was a $2 fix but kind of a pain, and I've heard a lot of people had the same problem.

did you have to do any soldering or just plug a new one from monoprice in?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

did you have to do any soldering or just plug a new one from monoprice in?

You have to solder. I just cut off the end of a new usb cord, snipped the little wires inside the stick and twisted them and put a little solder on it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how soon after use did it happen? that's worrisome

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

It's this Laugh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDCN7CKPHAw

I always thought it was a coincidence, but nope, it's him. It's also pretty funny that he's on a team that has MadCatz as a sponsor, but Laugh and Infiltration usually use eTokki sticks.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

A month or so maybe.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Other way around, EightArc just rebrands Q2's and uses a very slightly different top panel to reposition one or two buttons, but other than that they are internally identical.

Yeah, my bad. Thanks for clearing it up.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Yeah Laugh is awesome. He is an electrical engineer and back before SF4 and the resurgence of fighters he designed, manufactured, and sold PS2 > JAMMA adapters so you could use your own HRAP(2) or whatever stick with your supergun or arcade cabinet.

hyung
Jul 22, 2012

The build quality on Qanbas is about like this:
Q1>Q2Pro>Q2>Q4

Eightarcs and Qanbas are pretty decent over all. I personally think there are better asian budget stick makes out there right now (futuresky for one) but they aren't really a thing you can get in the US.

If you want a decent dual od stick you should probably go either a Q4 or a PS1/2 stick run through a converter.

If you can deal with other people and such, you should get someone to dual mod your stick (or do it yourself!) with a Chimp board or a new Cthulhu PCB.

You could also toss the PAewang PCB in there since its cheaper. The build quality on them aint so good though. I have one in two of my sticks and neither has died yet, but I've heard stories of them pooping out on people frequently.

I've heard good things about 8Arcs and Qanbas, but can you explain how it's structurally different from a TE stick? All of them have good reputations, and are nearly at the same price point. I've been considering upgrading my stick to one of higher quality.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Well, the TE is made from some really solid thick plastic, and there exists a bunch of places where you can get custom top panels made. The Q4 is made from a lot thinner plastic and just doesnt feel as tough and hefty to me.

The q2/eightarc on the other hand is a solid motherfucker, same with the Q1 and the so called Q2 Pro.

Internally all the PCBs are decent and have about the same level of faiulure rate. The early TE's are slightly less reliable for a number of reasons that got ironed out really fast.

They are pretty much equivalent in my mind, but the TE is definately a more hefty stick that feels a lot tougher and more durable. Its a shame they don't make them any more, but there are SO many on the market that getting one is easy.

There's also the HRAP, which is another well regarded tank of a stick. The thing could double as an impromptu riot shield.

And for what its worth the Q4's with the worst build quality IMHO are the translucent ones.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
If you want something durable, don't get the HARP V3. It's super light and soft. Some with the stick part, which I'll be replacing with a Samitsu some time in the future.

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

uncleKitchener posted:

If you want something durable, don't get the HARP V3. It's super light and soft. Some with the stick part, which I'll be replacing with a Samitsu some time in the future.

this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Arcade-Pro-V3-Playstation-3/dp/B0041SGD44

it's what I currently use. is there issues with it?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

WeakLad posted:

this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Arcade-Pro-V3-Playstation-3/dp/B0041SGD44

it's what I currently use. is there issues with it?

I've never had any issues with one and I've worked on three of them. Everybody should definately put a plexi top panel on it just because it makes them tougher and lets you swap out the art.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
There's nothing wrong with, it's just that for a guy like me work a stick to its fullest, it just starts getting loose and scratched all over. I'm gonna follow Bonito's advice and add a plexi top for the added protection (now that the sticker came off, I can do whatever the hell I want with it too).

edit: actually, how do people usually put the warranty stickers back on? Mine is kinda screwed up, but it's not cut up or anything.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 31, 2012

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I want to ask some people who know more than i do about fighting games what happened to Killer Instinct, why it never took off as a competitive game. If anyone cares enough about Killer Instinct to even know why it failed, I'd be happy to hear your insights.

I stumbled on this: http://killerinstinct.gamebub.com/ki2_fighting_tips.php

The way the "rock-paper-scissors" mechanics are so prioritized that they actually override the hitboxes in many situations seems telling. Plus, look at how convoluted that poo poo is. Is it possible that the developers were so keen on managing the complexity of high-level gameplay that they sort of strangled it, with hard-coded mechanics flattening the emergent complexity that competition among good players should produce? Am I on the right track here? thanks dudes

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

swamp waste posted:

I want to ask some people who know more than i do about fighting games what happened to Killer Instinct, why it never took off as a competitive game.

You know how combo breakers are one of the most controversial mechanics in MK9 and ArcSys fighters because some people think they add another strategic dimension and have associated costs, while others don't think breakers should exist at all? Do you think many people would still think they were cool if you could do them whenever you wanted for no risk and at no resource cost?

..Yeah..

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

Just for the record I've had an omni for like a year and it's been flawless. Really like it.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

swamp waste posted:

I want to ask some people who know more than i do about fighting games what happened to Killer Instinct, why it never took off as a competitive game. If anyone cares enough about Killer Instinct to even know why it failed, I'd be happy to hear your insights.

The way the "rock-paper-scissors" mechanics are so prioritized that they actually override the hitboxes in many situations seems telling. Plus, look at how convoluted that poo poo is. Is it possible that the developers were so keen on managing the complexity of high-level gameplay that they sort of strangled it, with hard-coded mechanics flattening the emergent complexity that competition among good players should produce? Am I on the right track here? thanks dudes

It has a small scene in South America, especially Chile IIRC. But the way those guys play is very very different from any way I've ever seen people play KI.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

It has a small scene in South America, especially Chile IIRC. But the way those guys play is very very different from any way I've ever seen people play KI.

How do they play it?

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Brosnan posted:

combo breakers

Reading about how they actually work (based on the resource he linked) they seem more like DOA counters than the anytime breakers of MK9 or anime poo poo, since you can only do them at certain points in the combo and both players have to make a guess about which button is being used to continue the combo. Not saying that's any better, just saying. I never knew how it actually worked before, so I found it interesting.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Trykt posted:

Reading about how they actually work (based on the resource he linked) they seem more like DOA counters than the anytime breakers of MK9 or anime poo poo, since you can only do them at certain points in the combo and both players have to make a guess about which button is being used to continue the combo. Not saying that's any better, just saying. I never knew how it actually worked before, so I found it interesting.

It sounds like they always come at a pretty predictable part of a combo, but the comber can end the combo early and never get to the part that's breakable. kind of sounds like a prehistoric, shittier version of marvel 3 exchange counters.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Any videos? Sounds interesting

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.

Nerokerubina posted:

It sounds like they always come at a pretty predictable part of a combo, but the comber can end the combo early and never get to the part that's breakable. kind of sounds like a prehistoric, shittier version of marvel 3 exchange counters.

What ends up happening in both KI games is that if for some reason you do play the game at high levels, the attacker can just work around that by doing unbreakable combos. Here's a video with bad audio in it that explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvp74Q7Tlv8

There are still better games to be played.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Do you guys have any idea when Eightarc restocks? I've been meaning to buy one and they keep selling out the Ivory when I have the money. Is there another stick that you fellas would recommend over the eightarc?

I want quality for my money,

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JackDarko posted:

Do you guys have any idea when Eightarc restocks? I've been meaning to buy one and they keep selling out the Ivory when I have the money. Is there another stick that you fellas would recommend over the eightarc?

Why don't you email them and ask?

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

JackDarko posted:

Wait for the Eightarc. Easily the best bang for your buck, especially if you need something dualmodded. They don't really have a consistent update schedule, just F5 every once in a while and you'll catch them eventually.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Fauxtool posted:

Why don't you email them and ask?

I did and they didn't reply unfortunately.

Yeah that's my current plan just checking in every day until I get lucky.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JackDarko posted:

I did and they didn't reply unfortunately.

Yeah that's my current plan just checking in every day until I get lucky.

you have the wrong address or they dont like you
"we are expecting to have them back in stock by August/September in time for Tekken Tag 2's release.
Our plan is to send out pre-order notification emails when they have a solid release date, so please sign up to our newsletter If you haven't yet."
So like 2 weeks?

Is it just confirmation bias or does eightarc actually have a better product?
The Elivepro sticks appear to be exactly the same and in stock.
Arent the components and casing exactly the same?

poo poo man, the synthesis looks so good. I just want to make it :rice: with LEDs in every button, lightup balltop and neon underglow. I want it to pull so much power it turns off the 2p controller.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 1, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Guys I found it, the Fighting Game of the Year: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92922021&searchtext=

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Considering how awful everything else looks, the in game animation is surprisingly decent.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

swamp waste posted:

The rest of the posts sums it up a lot (Especially reliance on smaller auto-doubles and some characters unbreakable starter-enders covered in the video) but another core problem was that the characters were designed awfully. Most characters only had a few starters and linkers. You could read them easy and respond quickly. Glacius only had a single starter in one of his shoulder charges and only had one option out which could be easily broken. On the other end of the scale, Orchid was just so ridiculously broken (in the mechanics sense) because she had five starters, multiple linkers, extenders and enders that could be constantly varied. Spinal has a little less but still has much more options than the rest of the cast. They occupy the top tier mainly because their options are more extreme (And Orchid's on another level on top of that)

As well, the game rewarded you for a breaker by giving extra damage on your combos which leads to some insane reverse-yomi tactics in letting yourself get hit by a combo to try get a breaker but not take too much damage. So really, the mechanics seemed good at conception but were bullshit in the end.

I'd love to see some videos of the South American scene though.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

JackDarko posted:

The Fusions sticks are the exact same thing as the Qanbas just in a different box. If those are in stock they work just as well.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Digital_Jesus posted:

The Fusions sticks are the exact same thing as the Qanbas just in a different box. If those are in stock they work just as well.

I own a black fusion and it is pretty awesome. Vouching that it's nice. Only problem is hitting Deadpool taunt combos in UMvC3.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Teddy Roosevelt looks disproportionately bad rear end compared to the rest of the cast. Pretty fitting, so they got my vote :colbert:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

apple posted:

Any videos? Sounds interesting

http://youtu.be/rCwRvpO4z9w

The second fight is where poo poo gets crazy.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I will gladly welcome a new Killer Instinct but only if Cinder returns and is as stupid as he is in the original KI games

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

http://youtu.be/rCwRvpO4z9w

The second fight is where poo poo gets crazy.
I like how this game has such a complicated combo system that is almost never used in high level play because breakers are so broken.

e: That double dash cross-up thing with Cinder is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yeah, back in the day when I saw KI is was just two guys rushing to break the other guy and combo into a huge finisher, but these central/south american guys toss so many pokes and so much air control into everything.

• Locked thread