Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bryne
Feb 13, 2008

The Treachery of Forums

FISHMANPET posted:

I see the listed viewing angle on the 2412M is 178 degrees horizontal and vertical. Any idea if that's correct? It sounds like the only place you wouldn't have a good view of those is from behind, which, if that's the case, would be awesome.
I haven't busted out the protractor but anecdotally the viewing angle on these things is totally sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

I see the listed viewing angle on the 2412M is 178 degrees horizontal and vertical. Any idea if that's correct? It sounds like the only place you wouldn't have a good view of those is from behind, which, if that's the case, would be awesome.
Usually viewing angles refer to "what angle can you see some light coming out", not "what angle can you see a faithful reproduction of the image." Viewing angles are something you'll have to check in person or through reviews.

colinshark
Aug 23, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Usually viewing angles refer to "what angle can you see some light coming out", not "what angle can you see a faithful reproduction of the image." Viewing angles are something you'll have to check in person or through reviews.
Yeah. On my IPS Dells, I honestly could not see a difference in viewing angles between them and my circa-2008 TN monitor. There is still significant darkening of the edges when you move your head. The biggest difference is in brightness, color, and contrast.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Viewing angle nowadays is just a way for manufacturers to say "IPS" without actually saying IPS because god forbid they actually tell you what kind of panel you're getting (although this is getting better).

Basically, if it says 178 it's IPS (or similar, if there actually are any PVA monitors left), if it says 160 or 170 it's TN.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It occurs to me that we've got a computer lab with 50 or so 2412Ms, I can just go in there and see for myself.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Is it likely that Retina-type displays are going to start appearing in the non-Mac world? Or is the industry not interested yet?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Neither. Apple tends to de facto monopolize some new technologies by buying literally all that's made. You might notice that in cell phone screens, most of the stuff with as high DPI as Apple's IPS-panel phone/tablet screens is made by different companies using a different technology (AMOLED, mostly).

Retina screens are pretty universally recognized as cool. There just aren't the materials to make more of them yet.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Wake me up when I can get a IPS 4k display for a thousand bucks. At 32 inches that works out to a little under 140 dpi. A 1080p on a 15.6 inch laptop for instance, is 141 dpi and I find that to be decently adequate. Retina is nice and all but for desktops and the viewing distance on them compared to laptops taken into consideration, I can't see the need at the moment.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The UI needs to change significantly. On the Macbook Pro Retina, you'll notice the UI elements aren't necessarily smaller, they're just sharper. I've got 1080p in a 15.6" laptop and I think it's just fine, I'm not sure if it could get more usefully sharper, but Apple will make people think they want it.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
At work I've been going back and forth between an Air and a MBPR, now I want everything I ever buy in the future to be Retina (or a functional equivalent). It's kind subtle at first, but it's a major reduction in eye strain, especially when reading lots of text.

Lil PP
Apr 1, 2010

hi my name is billy smith. whatchuwan? the police hav orders 4 u 2 cum ovr 2 mi house if ur a hot guy lookin 2 smoke some weed nkd nd j/o 2 the best of 90's nick. do u have what it takes? i guess we'll FIGURE IT OUT (must not b shy about being slimd or listenin 2 dubstep/flashbulb, pm if interested)
I purchased the QH270 from here. It came quick and has no dead pixels and is actually nice. Pretty shocked to be honest.

I guess the caveat is, have fun trying to work out what any of the other buttons are meant to do at the back.

So for any goons who are still not convinced to spend their precious 300bux on a cheap Korean monitor, here's another person who didn't manage to get scammed and got something decent.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

evensevenone posted:

At work I've been going back and forth between an Air and a MBPR, now I want everything I ever buy in the future to be Retina (or a functional equivalent). It's kind subtle at first, but it's a major reduction in eye strain, especially when reading lots of text.

Yeah but how much of that is due to OS X having kind of crappy text rendering?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah but how much of that is due to OS X having kind of crappy text rendering?

True. OS X rendering could benefit a lot from high DPI because it was designed around looking as close to the printed as possible, even when that made it look like poo poo on a normal screen.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Lil PP posted:

I purchased the QH270 from here. It came quick and has no dead pixels and is actually nice. Pretty shocked to be honest.

I guess the caveat is, have fun trying to work out what any of the other buttons are meant to do at the back.

So for any goons who are still not convinced to spend their precious 300bux on a cheap Korean monitor, here's another person who didn't manage to get scammed and got something decent.

Is the stand easily removable? I forget beyond the qnix and neo which have easily replaceable stands.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Any idea if a korean 27" will work with a macbook pro with a Intel HD Graphics 3000 chipset? Reading around seems to give mixed opinions on it only working with display port -> display port or possibly working with a dual link DVI adapter...

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

FISHMANPET posted:

I see the listed viewing angle on the 2412M is 178 degrees horizontal and vertical. Any idea if that's correct?
I have a (different) Samsung TN next to a 2412M right now. The 2412M definitely has better viewing angles, but it's not the best I've seen -- when you get 45-60 degrees away from center the image gets dimmer. Color is still good, though.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Marzzle posted:

Any idea if a korean 27" will work with a macbook pro with a Intel HD Graphics 3000 chipset? Reading around seems to give mixed opinions on it only working with display port -> display port or possibly working with a dual link DVI adapter...

My macbook air has the same HD3000 and runs it just fine-- but I needed to buy an active dual link DVI adapter ($60 from mono price). Occasionally when turning on the monitor I need to unplug and replug the adapter back in as the image is static-- but I've seen reports of that with the Apple adapter as well.

Lil PP
Apr 1, 2010

hi my name is billy smith. whatchuwan? the police hav orders 4 u 2 cum ovr 2 mi house if ur a hot guy lookin 2 smoke some weed nkd nd j/o 2 the best of 90's nick. do u have what it takes? i guess we'll FIGURE IT OUT (must not b shy about being slimd or listenin 2 dubstep/flashbulb, pm if interested)

Tedronai66 posted:

Is the stand easily removable? I forget beyond the qnix and neo which have easily replaceable stands.

There's a single screw that the stand uses to attach to the actual monitor itself so, I'd assume so. If there's such thing as replacement stands for this, I'd buy one in a heart beat. Time to check eBay.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now

Shmoogy posted:

My macbook air has the same HD3000 and runs it just fine-- but I needed to buy an active dual link DVI adapter ($60 from mono price). Occasionally when turning on the monitor I need to unplug and replug the adapter back in as the image is static-- but I've seen reports of that with the Apple adapter as well.

I have this problem pretty badly - roughly 1/2 of the time. It's pretty frustrating. Happens when the display comes awake too, not just a fresh plugin.

From what I've read, this is not a problem with the monitor or exclusive to the MonoPrice version of the adapter - probably some side effect of the engineering of the adapter at a higher level

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

So I'm about to buy a new Korean IPS monitor and I just want to make sure my current assumptions are correct.

Present assumptions:

Crossover monitors have the best stands but are super glossy.

Yamasaki Catleaps have a matte (but not anti-glare) finish but have lovely stands.

Perfect pixel monitors are only worth it if you have the money to burn as you won't find dead/stuck pixels unless you're looking for them.

I'm currently leaning towards the Crossover that rotates, unless there's a new brand that I don't know about (I did most of my research a couple months ago.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."

Gangringo posted:

So I'm about to buy a new Korean IPS monitor and I just want to make sure my current assumptions are correct.

Present assumptions:

Crossover monitors have the best stands but are super glossy.

Yamasaki Catleaps have a matte (but not anti-glare) finish but have lovely stands.

Perfect pixel monitors are only worth it if you have the money to burn as you won't find dead/stuck pixels unless you're looking for them.

I'm currently leaning towards the Crossover that rotates, unless there's a new brand that I don't know about (I did most of my research a couple months ago.

It's worth mentioning that Achieva Shimian's are now $279 shipped. They are sometimes covered with tempered glass, other times not. The stand is nothing special but functional. I never worry about mine falling over or anything. No height/tilt adjustments though. Unless you absolutely need an adjustable stand, I'd say the Shimian is a better bargain than the Capleap, considering the $60+ price difference.

Ragehaver fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 31, 2012

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

ScumTricycle posted:

It's worth mentioning that Achieva Shimian's are now $279 shipped. They are sometimes covered with tempered glass, other times not. The stand is nothing special but functional. I never worry about mine falling over or anything. No height/tilt adjustments though. Unless you absolutely need an adjustable stand, I'd say the Shimian is a better bargain than the Capleap, considering the $60+ price difference.

When you say sometimes covered in tempered glass you mean it's basically a crap shoot when you order? I've heard a lot of horror stories about the tempered glass displays.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."

Gangringo posted:

When you say sometimes covered in tempered glass you mean it's basically a crap shoot when you order? I've heard a lot of horror stories about the tempered glass displays.

I'm not exactly sure, to be honest. Some of the listings say "tempered glass," others don't. My listing didn't say tempered glass, but it came with it. I actually ended up liking it a lot, but I'm not near a bunch of windows and direct light. There wasn't any dust stuck behind it or anything like that.

I ordered it a while ago, so maybe the seller's descriptions have gotten better since then.

Here is one that mentions the glass:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shi...ht_16877wt_1165

Same seller, without glass:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shi...ht_15762wt_1165

Or maybe they all come with glass and I'm just wrong. Does anyone have a Shimian without glass? I was under the impression they came both ways, back when I researched buying one. The price difference makes me feel like there must be a difference in features, but you never know.

Ragehaver fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 31, 2012

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ScumTricycle posted:

I'm not exactly sure, to be honest. Some of the listings say "tempered glass," others don't. My listing didn't say tempered glass, but it came with it. I actually ended up liking it a lot, but I'm not near a bunch of windows and direct light. There wasn't any dust stuck behind it or anything like that.

I ordered it a while ago, so maybe the seller's descriptions have gotten better since then.

Here is one that mentions the glass:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shi...ht_16877wt_1165

Same seller, without glass:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shi...ht_15762wt_1165

Or maybe they all come with glass and I'm just wrong. Does anyone have a Shimian without glass? I was under the impression they came both ways, back when I researched buying one. The price difference makes me feel like there must be a difference in features, but you never know.

And then theres this third listing from the same seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shi...ht_15811wt_1163

The korean monitors are hard :(

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

Ramadu posted:

And then theres this third listing from the same seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shi...ht_15811wt_1163

The korean monitors are hard :(

$40 shipping, making it $1 more expensive than the other one.

Yeah, it's a royal pain to pick one, but I couldn't be happier with mine so far. I've had it about 6 months and it's been absolutely killer. People have ordered recently from that seller and looks like they've had good luck. Here is an Overclock thread about it:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1228062/achieva-shimian-monitor-club/1420

I believe I purchased from RedCap, for what it's worth.

Ragehaver fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 31, 2012

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

The "ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-Lite" that I ordered recently for $280 shipped (lowest price i saw) did NOT come with tempered glass.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

peepsalot posted:

The "ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-Lite" that I ordered recently for $280 shipped (lowest price i saw) did NOT come with tempered glass.

The Lite part refers to the fact that it doesn't have tempered glass, which is quite heavy.

A lot of them have uncoated tempered glass displays because they are intended for use in internet cafes where they will be wiped down periodically with windex or something.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

Neither. Apple tends to de facto monopolize some new technologies by buying literally all that's made. You might notice that in cell phone screens, most of the stuff with as high DPI as Apple's IPS-panel phone/tablet screens is made by different companies using a different technology (AMOLED, mostly).

Retina screens are pretty universally recognized as cool. There just aren't the materials to make more of them yet.

http://liliputing.com/2012/08/samsung-shows-off-series-9-notebook-with-2560-x-1440-display.html

It helps if you are the company making the new technology.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

If theres a way I can get one that isn't fully glossy though I'll take it. My current monitor is sort of the Catleap of 4-5 years ago, the Soyo Topaz S. It too was a no-frills cheap alternative to the name brands in a size and resolution (24", 1920x1200) that was usually limited to $1000+ monitors at the time. A couple years later I got a second 24" monitor, this time a HP, and I hated the glossy screen even though in ideal conditions it was in every way a better monitor. Today I still use the Topaz and I sold the HP to my dad who doesn't care about the glare.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gangringo posted:

If theres a way I can get one that isn't fully glossy though I'll take it. My current monitor is sort of the Catleap of 4-5 years ago, the Soyo Topaz S. It too was a no-frills cheap alternative to the name brands in a size and resolution (24", 1920x1200) that was usually limited to $1000+ monitors at the time. A couple years later I got a second 24" monitor, this time a HP, and I hated the glossy screen even though in ideal conditions it was in every way a better monitor. Today I still use the Topaz and I sold the HP to my dad who doesn't care about the glare.
Haha, I'm pretty sure my roommate has that monitor. 24" and 1920x1200 certainly isn't bad, but it's very obviously TN and if you're going to get a large monitor for media consumption, you've got to go IPS.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

gently caress it! I threw my hat over the wall and ordered the cheapest Catleap on Ebay. If the stand/glare are too bad I can always craigslist it.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
I didn't see that anyone else here was aware of this, but:

http://www.overlordcomputer.com/

From reading on another forum - it looks like a USA company hooked up with a supplier, to produce some A-grade (not A-) LG IPS displays, for similar prices to what you can get on ebay. Looks like the features are all the same, minus some reading points to the stands not being rubbish. This is nowhere on the site, but an email I got today says:

Overlord Mailer posted:

The Time Has Come.
Tuesday, September 4 - 9:00a.m. Pacific

We wanted to give you all a head's up that the webstore will be available for pre-orders on all Tempest models Tuesday, September 4 at 9:00 a.m. Pacific time.

Remember, the first 40 pre-orders for the ME and SE pixel perfect models will receive $25 off, with the first 450 (not a typo) for the OC pixel perfect model will also receive $25 off! Use coupon code 'lovin1440' at checkout to receive the discount. This discount only applies to the pixel perfect versions. All models are available for local pickup from our shop (just select that shipping option). We will let you know when your Tempest is ready for pickup.

Don't fret if you cannot get in on the first pre-order. We will keep tabs on who can and can't get our pre-order versions and will send an another email prior to the release of additional displays. This way you can have a better-than-average chance to grab a Tempest.

We have many more in production and will continue to bring in stock as soon as possible. Please take note of the delivery times for each model (listed on our website.) Both the ME and SE models are slated for delivery to our warehouse September 27. The OC model will most likely be in our warehouse by mid-October at the latest.

Thanks for your interest,
Scribby

I'll be picking up one of these for myself next week, I think.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Is there any reason pay more for a Crossover or Catleap if you don't care about the stand? I don't think you're going to get $45-80 worth of stand.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

peepsalot posted:

I bought a "New ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-Lite 27" WQHD LED HD DVI 2560 x 1440 Computer Monitor" from this exact auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330718939374

The box said QH270-LITE on it, yet here is what I got:

You can see the "Glass by Asahi" marking on the bottom left.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
Anyone else have a Dell U2713HM? I got mine recently and well...

Look at that backlight leak! The picture has exaggerated the white leaks, but that yellow really does look just like that :(. I've contacted support but probably won't get a reply until Monday.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ArcticZombie posted:

Anyone else have a Dell U2713HM? I got mine recently and well...

Look at that backlight leak! The picture has exaggerated the white leaks, but that yellow really does look just like that :(. I've contacted support but probably won't get a reply until Monday.

Is that the new Dell 27inch monitor? If so how much was it?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
I ordered a Qnix korean panel last night. Here's to hoping it has no dead pixels, though the seller (bigclothcraft) guarantees 5 or less on non-pixel perfect versions, so I hopefully wouldn't be able to see them.

And jesus, hopefully it won't have near the backlight bleed that U2713 has.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Ramadu posted:

Is that the new Dell 27inch monitor? If so how much was it?

Yes it is, it cost me £500. I got 20% off since I didn't pay tax, it's usually £600.

VVV - I think there's just something wrong with mine. The white corners aren't really noticeable, that yellow/orange one is very noticeable in the dark and is still noticeable in daylight. The TFTCentral review didn't mention it so I assume I got a dud one.

ArcticZombie fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 2, 2012

jwnin
Aug 3, 2003
I just saw that the Dell U2713 is now available in the US for $800. Not sure if I'd want to jump on that, or just two U2412s for a similar figure.

A little worried about the backlight bleeding referenced above, although it seems to be hard to google 'dell' and 'backlight bleeding problem' without getting hits.

I would look at a catleap, but glossy panels are not for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

ArcticZombie posted:

Yes it is, it cost me £500. I got 20% off since I didn't pay tax, it's usually £600.

VVV - I think there's just something wrong with mine. The white corners aren't really noticeable, that yellow/orange one is very noticeable in the dark and is still noticeable in daylight. The TFTCentral review didn't mention it so I assume I got a dud one.

Yeah, that's a defect called IPS Glow, which can be yellow or purple typically. It's covered by the warranty, so you can just get an RMA for it.