Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Don't the Grand Cross and Almagest parts of him have a vulnerability to Death and Petrification? Drop Odin and Shoat, you got a Summoner and a sub-Mage, boy!

Not quite, here's a reference:

Basically the Almagest portion can be killed with Shoat, the back piece that's shooting off magic can be killed with Odin (incidentally, the Odin cast here either has to come from the Magic Lamp or when it's the last piece left, otherwise the game'll see the Heavy flag on the remaining pieces and use Gungnir instead). He'll have to burn down the Grand Cross piece on his own.

On a related note, gently caress, forgot to find a camera to get my victory screenshot up. Sucks getting counted as a failure when I beat the fiesta. Next year I'm playing on an emulator because gently caress this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

LoudLoudNoise posted:

Since tonight's the final night for the FFVFJF, I decided to finally go through the final dungeon with my party of 37 Dragoon, 37 Summoner, 37 Geomancer, and 37 Thief.

You're on the cusp of being strong enough to survive. Grind out a couple of levels and you should be fine.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

CarpiliusCoralinus posted:

You're on the cusp of being strong enough to survive. Grind out a couple of levels and you should be fine.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm too exhausted to do it in time for the event completion, but I'll give it another go this weekend just to say I did it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The White Dragon posted:

I got through the game using the default setup: Sword + Shield Firion, Bow + Magic Maria, Dualwielding Axe Guy, and then that last rear end in a top hat who joins your party comes in so late and so underpowered that you basically ignore him.

Huh, me too. Guess I'm doing it right :downs:

Yeah, the game ain't that great. I'm not having a whole lot of trouble, but it's not really sucking me in like the others do. It's just not...all that fun.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Fungah! posted:

Not quite, here's a reference:

Basically the Almagest portion can be killed with Shoat, the back piece that's shooting off magic can be killed with Odin (incidentally, the Odin cast here either has to come from the Magic Lamp or when it's the last piece left, otherwise the game'll see the Heavy flag on the remaining pieces and use Gungnir instead). He'll have to burn down the Grand Cross piece on his own.

On a related note, gently caress, forgot to find a camera to get my victory screenshot up. Sucks getting counted as a failure when I beat the fiesta. Next year I'm playing on an emulator because gently caress this

Also, the back portion uses Delta Attack or some such, which petrifies and can be reflected. So you can try casting Carbuncle and don't summon Odin from the lamp right away, and a Delta Attack might get reflected onto the Almagest portion. I gave this advice to someone else and it surprisingly worked, but I don't know what the odds are.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Fungah! posted:

I actually had to go double check just now to make sure I gave a screenshot too. I did but never shared the ending character stats so here we go:

Not surprised that people were finishing with way lower levels than I was, Neo Exdeath wasn't too hard for me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, so how do I do the whole peninsula of power thing without immediately dying? The mobs do like 300-400 damage and my party doesn't last terrifically long with dual-shields and no attacking.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Well here's the Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary Ultimate Box: http://www.siliconera.com/2012/08/31/final-fantasy-25th-anniversary-ultimate-box-comes-with-13-games-music-and-more/

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Final Fantasy Dimensions is up in the app store... kinda. There's a bug present that affects the in-game shop, so you can't buy new chapters. If you know where to look you can get the prologue, but the rest of the game will have to wait until they update (sometime today hopefully).

Impressions (spoiled for politness, but there's nothing really spoilery here).

The prologue is about an hour and a half long and consists of three dungeons, all very intro-y.

The Bad
-Graphics look better on iPhone screen but they're still super ugly. Some areas are better designed than others. There's the roof of a castle with towers and waterfalls behind that's almost passable. Character sprites are the worst. There's a pose where Sol raises one hand it's the most slapped together poo poo ever. The sprites have emotive poses sometimes and other times they just bounce up and down. Lazy. The game also has a faux-mode 7 effect on the overworld that does not work in the slightest. Battle backgrounds are nice though. Monsters are hit or miss (but when they hit they look very nice). Spell effects are as good as anything you'd see in FFIV: Complete Collection.

-The writing... well it tries. It really does. They attempted to give each character their own voice and to spice up the dialogue. However there's still plenty of stilted lines and awkward translations. This did seem to get better as the chapter went on. Also Sol falls in the grand tradition of dopey moron main characters.

-Caught a couple of typos. "Susic" stands out the most. C'mon team, M and S aren't even anywhere close to each other.

-The plot's pretty lackluster at the very start. Things pick up a little halfway and then gets reasonably interesting right at the end. Nothing spectacular, but I did want to see what happened next. But the first twenty minutes or so definitely have a RPGMaker/fangame vibe.

The Good
+Music's great. Catchy and well produced. However I have no idea what this chiptune option is supposted to do. Selecting it doesn't do anything and it mentions something about buying more songs for it in the store. Of course, of course.

+The virtual controls actualy worked really well. You tap anywhere on the screen to bring up a d-pad, then you can slide or tap on it to move. You can tap into objects to interact or tap the center of the pad. One of the best I've seen in an iOS game. That said, it's still kinda awkward. Selecting buttons was no problem and I never made a mistake even on the tiny screen or in the midst of a heated battle.

+There's an auto-battle function that in addition to making everyone attack also fast-forwards through the rest of the fight! Very nice.

+You can access the full equipment menu directly from shops. Handy for moving stuff around and passing-down equipment to other party members before buying for them.

+For all of its fumbles it feels like Final Fantasy. In battles definitely, but by the end of the chapter as well for the story and setting and all that nebulous junk. I don't know if it'll be worth the full $30, but for now I want to keep playing. I'm anticipating digging into the job system and see how deep it goes. That's worth at least another chapter or two for me... once they get the store fixed of course.

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

Wow, that's beautiful. Though are the games the updated versions of each, like EUs X and XII IZJS or is it just the first release version of the game? I see theyve given the updated nes and snes games, but i think that's more to do with the fact that not many people still have their old consoles.

Also i'm expecting that to be in japanese only and never see the light of day in UK shores :(

Edit: Also, i never knew ff3 got a psp release, is it a port of the DS version or is it like the HD rereleases I and II got on psp?

Harvs fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 31, 2012

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah, we europeans don't stand a chance of getting that. But hey, I'd like to be wrong. Look on the bright side though, we are getting chiptune versions of some of the songs from the VII to XI soundtracks. Yay Europe!

EDIT: I might have been slightly sarcastic about that, but I'd probably still buy a chiptune remix of the IX soundtrack...

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 31, 2012

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

LoudLoudNoise posted:

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm too exhausted to do it in time for the event completion, but I'll give it another go this weekend just to say I did it.

You're in luck! Judging by the main site, the fiesta has been extended by a week.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

My latest understanding is that midnight (Honolulu time) tonight is the end of the fiesta proper, but the window for people to actually donate and make good on their pledges is open for another week.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Okay, so how do I do the whole peninsula of power thing without immediately dying? The mobs do like 300-400 damage and my party doesn't last terrifically long with dual-shields and no attacking.

It mostly depends on getting into a fight with frost wolves or zombie bulls. Nuke them with Fire 2 and pray that your fighter can tank their hits until you get the spell off.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder if there is any other game out there that people misremember as badly as FF7.

We tried popping in Goldeneye for N64 recently and that game did not age well at all.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

So do we know what time this Final Fantasy "event" happens? All I can find is Spetember 1, and something happenning in Seattle also on Sept 1 from 1-9 PM PST. Does the one in Tokyo start at like noon there?

Not to flip out but :derp: I gotsta have my FFXIII-III :derp:

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I figured the collection box I posted before was part of it? If we do get more announcements about things English speakers can play then it'd be pretty cool.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

There was the Box and an Ultimania art book set, but they also have this that hasn't been shown off (or explained in any way) yet

http://finalfantasy13game.com/astormgathers/

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Also, the back portion uses Delta Attack or some such, which petrifies and can be reflected. So you can try casting Carbuncle and don't summon Odin from the lamp right away, and a Delta Attack might get reflected onto the Almagest portion. I gave this advice to someone else and it surprisingly worked, but I don't know what the odds are.

Seconding this advice, it was by far the best way to handle Almagest when I had a Dancer/Berserker team in a custom challenge, as Dancers can't survive Almagest until something like level 50+ and I didn't want to grind. I'd suggest leaving the back part alive for last, since all of its attacks can be reflected and it can be instantly killed with Magic Lamp Odin once it powers up for being the last part left.

A piece of specific advice for LoudLoudNoise's team is to slap an Aegis shield on your Dragoon for a reasonable chance of evading nasty spells like Almagest and Grand Cross entirely. You could put !Summon on him to revive the rest of the team.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I got burned out on FF5 right around the time I got to the end of my second run. :(

Went and finally got around to beating it today, though. Gonna go try Shinryu and Omega now.

Edit: Omega and Shinryu down. :toot:

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 31, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pollyanna posted:

To do the Peninsula, you will have to grind up HP and stuff a bit first. I forget where you can first buy Swap to cast it on Goblins, but that's a good way to beef up your HP really quickly since HP and MP are largely independent of your enemies' CR--it's largely a function of "maxHP - nowHP." It'll also get easier the higher your level with Shields is since that gives you a higher dodge rate and reduces the damage you take when you do get hit with them equipped. The hardest part will be actually killing the dudes once you've reached the end of the battle, but you can always polish them off with Fire Lv5+ (I'm pretty certain it was fire the Mantises were weak against, but there's definitely a starter element that does bonus damage to them).

I seem to recall doing this with Minwu in the party, or maybe a little after he leaves it in the beginning and gives you the Canoe so you can get access to weird spells like the aforementioned Swap, but you can absolutely do it before he joins you. I've done a Mysidia Run and gotten Holy before he joined my party.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 31, 2012

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Phew, got to level 75ish in Ancient Cave, mostly thanks to Break Sword, Hayate Bow and some insane luck. Without this thread I would probably have died to a Fork Tower mob, I was saved from dragons by randomly having a flame ring equipped and got past a couple of floors with less than ten seconds to spare. I finally died to a time out when fighting against that one desert monster with a shitload of HP that uses Maelstrom.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Been playing FF9 for the first time, and I just got to the second disc with exactly 8 hours on the clock. Am I misremembering the other PS1 Final Fantasy games from playing them as a kid, or was the first disc way shorter on 9? I would have been done in a lot less than 8 hours if I hadn't done any grinding to beat the boss in the cave with the bells or caught all those drat frogs. I just feel like I'm still in the intro, while I remember 7 and 8 seemed to have been pretty far into the plot by the time disc 1 was up.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DeathBySpoon posted:

Been playing FF9 for the first time, and I just got to the second disc with exactly 8 hours on the clock. Am I misremembering the other PS1 Final Fantasy games from playing them as a kid, or was the first disc way shorter on 9? I would have been done in a lot less than 8 hours if I hadn't done any grinding to beat the boss in the cave with the bells or caught all those drat frogs. I just feel like I'm still in the intro, while I remember 7 and 8 seemed to have been pretty far into the plot by the time disc 1 was up.

FF7 is probably shorter than you remembered. My last playthrough was probably less than 25 hours.

FF9 has a reward for getting to the end of the game in 12 hours so it might just be shorter (it's not easy to get there in 12 hours though)

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Yeah, FF9 disc 1 is really fast. I had played the game a bit at my friend's before I bought it for myself, and being somewhat familiar with it I flew through the first disc in 2 days which was a pretty big deal in the middle of a school week. :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mister Roboto posted:

FF2 is literally the worst Final Fantasy. For all the flak the other games get, at least their engines were PLAYABLE. FF2 is so hilariously broken that the brick walls may be easier to beat by restarting the entire game than grinding an unknown stat for just as long.

The NES version, for sure. But I liked the Dawn of Souls version quite a bit.

quote:

It must've been such an empty market back then, because Dragon Warrior 2 was also pretty bad in parts.

What? No way. I played DW2 when it came out and the only trouble I had was the final area, where I had to do a fair amount of grinding. DW2 was really fun, certainly a massive step up from DW1 which was just so... empty and dull.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Just the first disc of FFVII took at least a couple of weeks for my friends and me. In Europe, the game was the first big-name game of its kind - absolutely no Final Fantasy before it, no Chrono Trigger, not even Mario RPG. The concept of dialogue-driven epic role-playing tales in games was all new to our young minds, since it was all platformers and kart racing up until then. So compared to everyone else, we just downright sucked balls at the game and found it very very difficult the first time round. We'd be constantly exchanging strategies for each boss we were stuck on. Someone mentioned the first time you leave Midgar and realise that the game is just now opening up - we totally thought it was going to be the end of disc 1...

I do think a few people might be misremembering FFVII, saying the fans have all got rose-tinted glasses on, at the time it really was one of the most absorbing and enjoyable games I've ever played (maybe second to Half-Life 2). The background prerenders are beautiful, too, and I'd love to see them in a higher resolution someday. The game might not look so pretty on a big TV screen now, but if anyone wanted to start it again, I'd recommend trying it on a PSP or mobile device.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Idioteque Dance posted:

I do think a few people might be misremembering FFVII, saying the fans have all got rose-tinted glasses on

Eh, I think it's both. Yes, at the time it was pretty goddamn glorious and amazing. However, any time I go back and try to play it, I just get bored somewhere around the time you meet Red XIII. After the focused and tight plot of Midgar, I feel like the rest of the game is just... aimless. And not in the good way, like the World of Ruin in 6. Also gently caress the Golden Saucer segment, that is just so boring unless it's your first time through.

By contrast, I've replayed 9 a few times and I always have fun, it's almost front-to-back engaging and there's rarely a time when you're not experiencing a sense of wonder and fun.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Maybe it's just because the end of disc 1 is so much more memorable in 7 and 8. FF7 has Aries dying and FF8 has the assassination, both of which seemed like the plot was really starting to get going. FF9 introduced a dude in a codpiece after the easiest battle I've had so far.

Anyways, about disc 2- so now I'm in control of my other set of characters, except the last time I used them my party was about level 6. So now, after spending a few hours at the end of disc 1 getting my party up to 14, I'm back at level 6 with these other characters and the monster levels seem to assume I'd be a lot higher. Did I mess up how I build my party or something, or is this back and forth how it usually plays out? It's frustrating being way back to such a low level just because the game took characters away from my party. Its weird, because in the dungeon (the one in Treno), most battles end with just one person alive and almost no HP, while in the overworld I one-hit enemies and get like 10 exp. Does the game get better about this? I enjoy the characters and worldbuilding a lot so far, but this section is really getting frustrating.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
It's still a great game to me, after all these years. I've played all the FFs, and the only one I found more enjoyable was Tactics. Amazing story, excellent characters, love the world, and Materia. I get why some prefer VI, but I'm all about FFVII.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You never forget your first story-heavy RPG, and for many people, that was FFVII.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
What's odd is, it wasn't my first by a long shot. I cut my teeth on the NES and SNES, enjoyed Dragon Warrior and Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG... FFVII did a lot of things right, and I'm a little sick of people saying that others like it because it was their first. That isn't always the case.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think mine was X and looking back on it, I really regret that X was my first one. I have to admit though, in my early Teens I played the poo poo out of FFVII and loved it, even looking back on it, VII is still a really good game and just thinking back on it is making me want to play it again. There was just so much insane stuff and I loved Materia and Wutai was like my favorite sidequest... and here I am talking like a 14-Year Old.

DeathBySpoon posted:

FF9 introduced a dude in a codpiece after the easiest battle I've had so far.

Man, I remember that scene so well just because the Ruined Burmecia was a great setpiece and just getting your whole group wrecked was so stunning. Looking back on it, it's a bit silly that it ends with Kuja's goofy rear end flying off, oh well, still a great villain no matter how silly he looks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DeathBySpoon posted:

Its weird, because in the dungeon (the one in Treno), most battles end with just one person alive and almost no HP, while in the overworld I one-hit enemies and get like 10 exp.
Gargan Roo has some pretty beefy enemies, but they're also really good for grinding up on really quickly. If you need to play some catch-up, you can also gain a few levels outside of Treno, the enemies there are weak even for a low-level party. You can peek into the forest if you like, the Mandragoras give more EXP but have a spell that does damage equal to their max HP - current HP and can gently caress you up if you aren't careful seeing as how they come in packs and have, what, 400something HP.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

FFVII did a lot of things right, and I'm a little sick of people saying that others like it because it was their first.
Yeah, agreed here. I played Secret of Mana before any other RPG, and I mean that's a good game, but the more you play it now, the more you realize that the head writer is pretty incoherent and has a hard time crafting consistent ideas.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 1, 2012

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

This is the thread to discuss The World Ends With You right? Guess what happens when you beat the iPhone port (and meet the super secret ending requirements or whatever).

http://i48.tinypic.com/ere89c.jpg

edit: You know what those spoiler tags were completely redundant weren't they?

Bland fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 1, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay, so I guess Square MIGHT have something real planned for the future of TWEWY.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bland posted:

http://i48.tinypic.com/ere89c.jpg
You... turn into an abominable fusion of Shiki, Neku, Joshua, and Skateboard Zell? Or is this just Nomura being completely unable to craft original characters again?

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 1, 2012

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

You... turn into an abominable fusion of Shiki, Neku, Joshua, and Skateboard Zell? Or is this just Nomura being completely unable to craft original characters again?

Pretty sure that's what Shiki actually looks like- it's said ingame that her appearance is that of her best friend because she idolized her so much.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

DeathBySpoon posted:

Pretty sure that's what Shiki actually looks like- it's said ingame that her appearance is that of her best friend because she idolized her so much.

I don't think that's Shiki, the game puts you under the impression that real Shiki has short hair and wears glasses. That's probably a completely different character and the New 7 Days is very telling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

TWEWY: I was mostly going off the stuffed animal, but I don't know either way

In regards to FF9 leveling, should I give any attention at all to Marcus or is he going to leave my party with whatever gear I give him?