Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Marcus is another guest character, he will not join your party permanently. I'd say give him armor to help out, but it's probably best you don't equip him with any as he usually is always built to suit the occasion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I haven't beaten it, but don't spend much on Marcus, if anything.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

The NES version, for sure. But I liked the Dawn of Souls version quite a bit.

It's okay, I understand.

precision posted:

What? No way. I played DW2 when it came out and the only trouble I had was the final area, where I had to do a fair amount of grinding. DW2 was really fun, certainly a massive step up from DW1 which was just so... empty and dull.

DW2 is definitely a step up in terms of gameplay from the original, but it has an interesting problem: a lot of the stuff it introduced to the JRPG formula (like vehicles and a full party) showed up in Final Fantasy first in the US because the ports for the later DQ games took so long. Dragon Warrior 2 came out six months after Final Fantasy and six months before Dragon Warrior 3, which is a real lovely position for a game categorically inferior to both to be in.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DeathBySpoon posted:

In regards to FF9 leveling, should I give any attention at all to Marcus or is he going to leave my party with whatever gear I give him?
Yeah gently caress 'im, Marcus is very temporary. There's some weird poo poo you can do with leveling him that relates to Eiko that I've never understood how it works very well--something like she inherits his hidden stat increases from leveling up, or something to do with Ability Stones, but not his levels--but you'd pretty much have to take him to the 40s or 50s on these early-game monsters to notice the fruits of your labor.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

DeathBySpoon posted:

In regards to FF9 leveling, should I give any attention at all to Marcus or is he going to leave my party with whatever gear I give him?

I don't think he takes your stuff, but don't give him anything fancy just in case. As for whether it's worth it to give him any attention, depends on how spergy you are. The character slot he occupies will later be filled by a permanent party member, and that party member's starting stats are affected by Marcus' stats. So some sperglords kill off the other characters and level up Marcus in order to make the later character really strong. Otherwise, no, not worth it.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

Eh, I think it's both. Yes, at the time it was pretty goddamn glorious and amazing. However, any time I go back and try to play it, I just get bored somewhere around the time you meet Red XIII. After the focused and tight plot of Midgar, I feel like the rest of the game is just... aimless. And not in the good way, like the World of Ruin in 6. Also gently caress the Golden Saucer segment, that is just so boring unless it's your first time through.

By contrast, I've replayed 9 a few times and I always have fun, it's almost front-to-back engaging and there's rarely a time when you're not experiencing a sense of wonder and fun.

After my first time, I found evil forest to dali to be a bit boring, and that one area with Ramuh, but other than that I 100% agree. It's probably my favorite FF.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Dragon Warrior 2 came out six months after Final Fantasy and six months before Dragon Warrior 3, which is a real lovely position for a game categorically inferior to both to be in.

Wow, that's weird, I don't remember the turnaround from DW2 to 3 being so short. Though that does help explain why I didn't beat the last area of 2 until after I owned 3.

And honestly - and I'm not really sure why - I enjoyed DW2 more than FF1. :raise:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I somehow managed to get through most of IZJS without a White Mage (or really, any good source of Curaja). These last few hunts are going to be hell :ohdear: Knight and Monk will be able to do some healing and make great tanks but poor Black Mage Fran might as well be made of toilet paper for how well she holds up against Gilgamesh.

I'm rolling with
Vaan - Monk
Balthier - Samurai :gonk:
Fran - Black Mage
Basch - Knight
Ashe - Machinist
Penelo - Red Mage

What exactly would be a good postgame-oriented team? I'm really looking forward to getting the last few Espers but I'm not sure Henne will even be doable with this setup.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

DQ2 came out almost a full 11 months before Final Fantasy.

Gamma Nerd posted:

What exactly would be a good postgame-oriented team? I'm really looking forward to getting the last few Espers but I'm not sure Henne will even be doable with this setup.

This isn't that bad. Monk and Knight are good tanks with healing, you can alternate between them.

You should have an Indigo Pendant by now so there's no reason to not have Decoy always on your tank. Both Fran and Penelo can cast that, so have at least one of those two in the party as well. That leaves Ashe and Balthier. While Balthier is probably not the best suited for Samurai, he'll still be useful for DPS with all the mystic armor he uses. Or you can give him the Genji Gear and watch his combo rate go through the roof. Ashe has guns, which are handy, and if you taught her Hastega all the better.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 1, 2012

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
I seriously am hoping for a FFXIII-3 announcement in the next few hours or so.

But knowing how much I actually enjoyed 2 and given SE's track record, 3 will end up being a Japanese only novel or something.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
TWEWY: Gonna make a guess here and say this is supposed to take place years after the first game and Shiki's selling dolls as a professional. Kind of disappointed it still takes place in Shibuya.

Harvs
Sep 1, 2008

I know this pretty much confirms a TWEWY sequel but i'm still anxious as gently caress as this is SE we're talking about and for all we know it'll end up being a concept art book for TWEWY1 or soomething

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Bland posted:

(and meet the super secret ending requirements or whatever).

Shades of Kingdom Hearts in my TWEWY? :frogout:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Pepper posted:

DQ2 came out almost a full 11 months before Final Fantasy.

In Japan, but Final Fantasy beat DQ2 to America by about six months. I consider that important because FF shared similar innovations over the original DQ/DW with DQ2 (multiple characters and vehicles), leading the game to be comparatively more popular and revolutionary in the US than it was in Japan. I'd go so far as to suggest that the slow localization of DQ2-4 are part of why Final Fantasy has always been more popular here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Krad posted:

Shades of Kingdom Hearts in my TWEWY? :frogout:
The secret ending has been in the game since the original DS game. They just added that bit of the new character to the end of it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

From the stream, they're also showing off a lot of random stuff from the game. Mostly just maps and the like.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A sequel to TWEWY is the best thing I've heard from Square in years (I know it's not official but it might as well be, what else could that mean?)

edit: It better not be a loving phone-exclusive game though :negative:

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
Uhhh, holy poo poo. FFXIII-3 sounds more akin to an action rpg than the first two games, if this is anything to go by. This sounds way more interesting than I intially expected.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rueish posted:

Uhhh, holy poo poo. FFXIII-3 sounds more akin to an action rpg than the first two games, if this is anything to go by. This sounds way more interesting than I intially expected.

It's probably going to be more akin to Valkyrie Profile or Star Ocean. Members of Tri-Ace helped with FFXIII-2 so I bet it's an extension of that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It's probably going to be more akin to Valkyrie Profile or Star Ocean. Members of Tri-Ace helped with FFXIII-2 so I bet it's an extension of that.

Star Ocean's battles were loving awesome, so this is an entirely positive development for me.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII... to the store.

Edit: This is probably Square's attempt to recoup dev costs on the nonexistent Final Fantasy Versus XIII by inserting the main FF13 lore in place of whatever wacky storyline they had that might not have been working. They're also probably of the mindset that nextgen is around the corner and they need to wrap up whatever they have going for the current generation and move on before it's too late.

Varance fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 1, 2012

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

precision posted:

A sequel to TWEWY is the best thing I've heard from Square in years (I know it's not official but it might as well be, what else could that mean?)

edit: It better not be a loving phone-exclusive game though :negative:

Man, there's a handheld market on it right now and TWEWY 2 has it's name all over the 3DS.

Momomo posted:

From the stream, they're also showing off a lot of random stuff from the game. Mostly just maps and the like.

This actually looks pretty cool. If Lightning's the main character of XIII-3 also, then I'm even more enthused about it.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
I wonder if the ending will be paid dlc again.

microwave casserole fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 1, 2012

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

It sounds like a weird mix of Majora's Mask and Dragon's Dogma/insert-your-favorite-open-world-RPG-here to me. I'm cautiously optimistic, because I did like the first two, and the tidbits revealed today piqued my interest.

But holy poo poo. "Yeah, I got this badass painting under this cover, but you can't see it yet!" gently caress you. I bet there's not even anything under there.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I like how Lightning had her real name (Claire) called only once over the course of two games, both 30+ hours each. I fully expect that counter to stay exactly the same for Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII, unless there's flashbacks or something.

"I'm hungry, Claire."
"Seeeeraaaaaaah! I told you my name is Lightniiiiiiing! :saddowns:"

Actually I don't think that would happen because cardboard boxes have better sibling relationships than Serah and Lightning.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wonder how much Lightning's going to scowl now that Serah's dead. Lord knows Ali Hillis needs more reason to force her voice to sound GRUFF AND TOUGH.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Wonder how much Lightning's going to scowl now that Serah's dead.
We'll see how long that lasts.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Harlock posted:

We'll see how long that lasts.

The bad guy's goal was to end death, and he succeeded so she was probably alive again before the credits even rolled.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
FFXIII-3 sounds just like my cup of tea.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
So I'm about 15 minutes into a video about Lightning Returns, does this Totally-Original-Not-Even-On-The-Internet idea of WORLD DRIVEN actually amount to anything other than 'yeah we did a lot of world building stuff'? Because slapping a dumb name on something that already exists doesn't make something totally original.

Also 'You are free to ponder the philosophical aspects of life as you experience the world as our hero' :lol:

I don't know if I've ever seen a more pretentious game reveal. And yet I am still going to buy it. :(

e: Oh, world driven also apparently means Facebook integration. Totally original.

Azraden fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 1, 2012

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Can you link to said video?

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

Himuro posted:

Can you link to said video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pAZqmrasEM

Here ya go. Have fun watching 37 minutes of people blabbing about crystals and roses and occasionally talk about their new video game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hope it's not just me, but that Lightning video comes off more as them trying to pass off Lightning as their beloved dictator than her being in a new video game.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I might have to dye my hair pink in celebration of this news, in all seriousness though, this is a day one purchase for me since I'm a sucker for the XIII series of games.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

quote:

The new game is officially titled Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII.

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII.

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII

gently caress me, that's a terrible title. I'll reserve judgment on the actual thing, when there's stuff to see.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Maybe if it was Sazh Returns. Even if Lightning's one of the better 13 characters, she's still too bland for me to really give a poo poo about her having her own game. Unless you can dress Lightning up as a moogle or some other ridiculous abomination, I'll pass.

Of course, I said the same thing about 13-2, and I bought that because Final Fantasy Pokemon looked cool and they made the battle system require thought (and didn't give you parties of two characters for half the game). Speaking of which, any word on whether you'll have allies in the game? Haven't seen any footage so I don't know if it's shown. It'd be kind of weird keeping the Paradigm system with only one character otherwise.

I don't hate Lightning and thought she was one of the few parts of FF13 that worked, but I also don't see her important enough to have her own trilogy.

A dimension-hopping duo of Bartz and Gilgamesh, on the other hand...

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Didn't know Tri-Ace helped with 13-2, I'll be picking that up. I'd play an action rpg Final Fantasy, too.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Why do they decide on the stupidest game titles possible?

WHY!?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Why do they decide on the stupidest game titles possible?

WHY!?

-- Something literally said in every single FF game announcement in the past 5 years.

Theatrhythm, Versus, Agito, Novalis, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Azraden posted:

So I'm about 15 minutes into a video about Lightning Returns, does this Totally-Original-Not-Even-On-The-Internet idea of WORLD DRIVEN actually amount to anything other than 'yeah we did a lot of world building stuff'? Because slapping a dumb name on something that already exists doesn't make something totally original.

Stories are typically character-driven (compelling characters do things) or plot-driven (characters do compelling things), so I suppose a world-driven story is where the setting/backstory is over-complicated - oops I mean compelling - and the characters and plot act as a window into it.