Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

ZombieParts posted:

I fixed it.

I haven't played CO since it's launch but with CoH getting its head chopped off, I am looking for a replacement hero game. The graphics in CO are goofy but the Ultimate Thor mock up on page 4 or so really sold me on this. I'm down for swinging some heavy weapons.

I vaguely remember my Might character and he seemed so drat underpowered. My general combat tactic was to take off into a mob at a run and use Roomsweeper to throw the crowd (which is funny) and then I could single target them as they came running back. I never felt truly "super" playing the game though. Has that been balanced out?

Swinging was cool and the earth shattering Super Jump was cool. I'm into special effects, I guess.

Where does the general populace gather to shoot the poo poo and roleplay?

It's Club Caprice but only people looking for ERP really go there. Maybe you could play the great Deputy Marshal, Wyatt ERP and regulate the poor misguided souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

ZombieParts posted:

I fixed it.

I haven't played CO since it's launch but with CoH getting its head chopped off, I am looking for a replacement hero game. The graphics in CO are goofy but the Ultimate Thor mock up on page 4 or so really sold me on this. I'm down for swinging some heavy weapons.

I vaguely remember my Might character and he seemed so drat underpowered. My general combat tactic was to take off into a mob at a run and use Roomsweeper to throw the crowd (which is funny) and then I could single target them as they came running back. I never felt truly "super" playing the game though. Has that been balanced out?

Swinging was cool and the earth shattering Super Jump was cool. I'm into special effects, I guess.

Where does the general populace gather to shoot the poo poo and roleplay?

Good news! Might is one of the best power sets, now. They fixed most of the melee sets around the time they added Vibora Bay.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They nerfed Might recently.

It's still fine, just not the best set in the game anymore.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Don't think I've posted in this thread before, but I've been lurking it for the last year.

I played the trial for this about two years ago, and was able to get my main up to level 15 over a free to play weekend. At the time I thought, "this ain't so bad, I'll have to sub for a couple months at some point before they shut it down". loving ironic.

That time finally rolled around this last January. I was Christmas shopping on Amazon and saw the box copy for 6 bucks, so I picked it up. I was surprised to see that there were still people playing, and a patch full of UI upgrades went live just a few days after I started. Common belief is that CO is a failure just waiting to die. It was a pleasant surprise to see that wasn't the case. I picked up a cheap 60 day time card, but had no idea when I would actually get around to using it. NCsoft just made that decision for me.

I don't like CO nearly as much as CoX. It just doesn't feel like it has the same soul.

The worst thing is that the controls feel really clunky and unresponsive; My characters run like their feet are made out of clay and they fly like corpses with rigor mortis. I also hate the UI element that causes every single throwable object to put up a "Press 'Z' to Throw This poo poo" button. It gets in the way when I just want to press Z for a door or glowie. Is there a way to disable that?

One thing I like way more about Champions is the naming system. Anyone that dares to defend CoX's "one name per server" bullshit is subjectively determining for other people what constitutes a "good" name. Especially in the comic book genre, a quick, flashy descriptor is essential to the overall character concept. After 8 years, far too many names that would sit well on the cover of a comic book were long since taken. And it would always bother me a tiny bit every single time I logged on a character that had to make that compromise. Being able to name your character whatever you want(within reason) with no fear is liberating. Champions does have that going for it.

I find that some character concepts work out better in one game or the other. I like my Dual Blades toon in CO way more than her Dual Blades/Super Reflexes Brute counterpart. I couldn't translate my Power Armor character into CoX- the closest I could come conceptually was an Electric/Electric Tanker, which is nowhere near the same experience. I love my Gadgeteer, but had to abandon her evil twin Bots/Traps MasterMind halfway through the costume process. Unfortunately, the number of concepts that would never translate from CoX into CO would be way too huge to mention. For one, you guys have nothing that comes anywhere near the awesomeness known as a Dominator.

I'm pissed as hell that Millennium City will continue to live while Paragon City and the Rogue Isles are about to face the loving apocalypse. But you'll see me there early next year. Till then, I have a few banks to rob...

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Brave New World posted:

I find that some character concepts work out better in one game or the other. I like my Dual Blades toon in CO way more than her Dual Blades/Super Reflexes Brute counterpart. I couldn't translate my Power Armor character into CoX- the closest I could come conceptually was an Electric/Electric Tanker, which is nowhere near the same experience. I love my Gadgeteer, but had to abandon her evil twin Bots/Traps MasterMind halfway through the costume process. Unfortunately, the number of concepts that would never translate from CoX into CO would be way too huge to mention. For one, you guys have nothing that comes anywhere near the awesomeness known as a Dominator.

One thing that always bothered me about CO's pets is that you could never give them a theme like Mastermind pets. Hell, they really only feel like masses of fodder you summon, then press your auto attack to let them do all the work. I miss my Ninja/Poison mastermind I had way back but I jumped ship on CoX three years ago nearly on account of the Early AE being nothing much more than boring grind groups. It was hard to find anything else to do at the time. Now I just hope CO can pick up the slack of content. Or maybe even introduce the Foundry they had for STO.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You're a little bit delusional.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
About what? I never liked pets in CO. :mad:

Edit: that's a lie. There was a point when the Summoned Shadows were pretty cool, but there's faster ways to kill everything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not you. Him, with the animation and "soul" thing.

CO's animations are nothing special but I don't know how you can have an issue with them and not CoX's.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
It feels like there's a few milliseconds worth of delay between hitting a movement key and your character actually moving. They're not responsive in the same way that every other MMO's controls are. Plus, they seem to run a little slower.

Even though CoX's graphics were technically dated, the game had an artistic ambiance that I found preferable to CO's.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
My view on the graphics of CO versus CoX is that CO was of higher technical quality, but CoX had better assets. You can really push CO's character creator to make whatever look you want, but very few of them look any good in my experience, and I still think it impossible to make just a normal goddamn person that doesn't look terrible.

There's also this weird ethereal nature of how permissive the game 'felt'. I've tried describing this like five times so far, by now I've given up, but CoX was really good for roleplaying and character creation because really, anything goes. You could create characters based off of anything you want, you could make the most off the wall ridiculous gimmick and somehow it sort of worked. CO feels a little bit like it noticed and tried to facilitate that, but went too far to the point where you can only do the most off the wall ridiculous gimmick poo poo, and there are no 'straight men' I can take seriously.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not that difficult, you just have to learn the creator in this game a bit. It's more complicated than the Snowman creator of CoX.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

am I the only person that sees the CO Warehouses as CoX warehouses with dynamic lighting?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Hey guys, the top community contribution screenshot(of all time) on CO's game hub page on Steam only has like five votes. This means we can force whatever screenshots we want to the top of everything there as representing the game.

So thumbs-up this giant stone butt for me and make my stupid dream come true.

I'm sure there's some other way to exploit this in some creative way but a butt is all I got.

Edit: mission accomplished. Check out CO's steam game hub page, giant stone butt is the highest rated screenshot of all time by at least 10 votes.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 3, 2012

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It's been forever since I've played this, I've forgotten pretty much everything I knew about it. Even if I never got anybody past level 17. (Ego is flat ranged damage instead of crit damage now? Do I need to do research to know what kind of crafting school was best for my stats, etc).

My desires are simple, so I have a few questions. I want to go gun crazy with almost pure munitions (branching out for support powers as needed, maybe some extra attacks down the line). So this means Primary Superstat Ego, secondary Dex and... what? What Innate Characteristic is the most long term convenient, and are the new Specializations easy no brainers like "pick the one meant for shooting people and dame", or more tricky?

With the changes to the crafting system, does this mean I don't have to pick and remember which out of Magic, tech, or mutations whatever fit my desired stats of choice anymore? I'm not expecting to do heavy crafting, I just want to avoid screwing myself like it felt like you could with the old system.

For travel it's a toss up between teleport and a form of flight. Will I go bonkers having to periodically press T for traveling long distance as the levels and map sizes progress if I picked teleport? Or does the utility Teleport provides outweigh the simplicity of flying around on a cloud?

<s>What is the character planner of choice these days?</s> Found the powerhouse planner just by skimming back in thread, duh.

Fake Edit: Oh good, I hope my vote for the but the other day helped.

Real Edit: Oh, memories. I somehow doubt Munitions Shotgun will be my one stop shop for killing entire mobs with air juggling.

EDIT Two: Is it still possible to do an early game respec to pull out an unimpressive Starter Power and replace it with a Tier 1? I remember doing that with my lightning guy to replace Chain lightning with Spark storm, and life was good.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 5, 2012

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Craft just has to do with mods which drop up to rank 5 in the wild and the Soldier AT goes Ego Dex Rec and is pretty much free of their energy builder due to Killer Instinct granting energy on crits. If the game lets you skip the tutorial, you start off in the powerhouse at level 6 with free respec since you technically never left it. As for travel powers, Flight should serve a ranged person better than teleport imo.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

HukHukHuk posted:

Craft just has to do with mods which drop up to rank 5 in the wild and the Soldier AT goes Ego Dex Rec and is pretty much free of their energy builder due to Killer Instinct granting energy on crits. If the game lets you skip the tutorial, you start off in the powerhouse at level 6 with free respec since you technically never left it. As for travel powers, Flight should serve a ranged person better than teleport imo.
I splurged on the On Sale 3 month. Holy poo poo, I forgot Teleport is x3 the speed of Fly at start, and then ends up a good chunk faster as it ranks up. With the benefit of not being taken out of the air by wolves spitting at you from 100 feet away.

Still, Teleport mean no lazy press R and just go. Also Earth Flight means ruining the flooring of dance clubs.

Thanks for the insights, and confirming the new crafting is just as simplified as the OP and link suggested. I'll probably be keeping my energy builder, I just like having one. But it is on my To Do list to strip out two gun mojo for Assault rifle. I'll probably go with Targeting Computer passive since it sounds cool, and more crits are always nice. (and looks like it would mesh well with Steady Shot perk).

Was planning on a Freeform just for the sake of Because I Can, and picking things a bit to my liking in order (Must have shotgun blast at level 6! My old friend.) but would cloning Soldier into Freeform picks be a Bad Idea? I mean, Killer Instinct is all the way down at level 25 for one. :what: But most of it seems an okay outline for somebody returning to the game.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
You can roll an effective gunner with either the dex or ego stat. If you ran dex, you could theoretically also focus stats on doing dodges alongside criticals, resulting in a more balanced build, or you could pour everything into maximizing your critical stats under dex. Ego offers a higher base damage bonus, but only crits a little less often than dedicated Dex and also suffers from lower defenses. It really is up to whatever sounds good.

Basically, crafting has almost gently caress all to do with your stats now. In fact, crafting is now really arbitrary considering that you can get any kind of mod from doing a burst or just looking through the auction house long enough. (though, your crafting skill will determine which nodes you get mods from. In any case, you'll definitely want to read up on my item/spec guide to see exactly what changed with the On Alert update.)

Travel power's a matter of taste. You can easily get through the entire game without having to resort to phasing through people with a teleport (provided your build is decent).

The character builder of choice is most certainly the Powerhouse now. It's worthily keeping up to date, having just recently gotten the new Gadgeteering additions of boomerangs and whatnot. In contrast, I'm now taking a look at the ChampionBuilder site and... It's not there anymore. WELP

The early-game respec is even easier since On Alert came out; all your starting stats and moves can be respecced for no charge at all if you go straight to the powerhouse on creation and talk to a trainer. At least, that's the case I get whenever I create a new character.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bluhman posted:

You can roll an effective gunner with either the dex or ego stat. If you ran dex, you could theoretically also focus stats on doing dodges alongside criticals, resulting in a more balanced build, or you could pour everything into maximizing your critical stats under dex. Ego offers a higher base damage bonus, but only crits a little less often than dedicated Dex and also suffers from lower defenses. It really is up to whatever sounds good.

Basically, crafting has almost gently caress all to do with your stats now. In fact, crafting is now really arbitrary considering that you can get any kind of mod from doing a burst or just looking through the auction house long enough. (though, your crafting skill will determine which nodes you get mods from. In any case, you'll definitely want to read up on my item/spec guide to see exactly what changed with the On Alert update.)

Travel power's a matter of taste. You can easily get through the entire game without having to resort to phasing through people with a teleport (provided your build is decent).

The character builder of choice is most certainly the Powerhouse now. It's worthily keeping up to date, having just recently gotten the new Gadgeteering additions of boomerangs and whatnot. In contrast, I'm now taking a look at the ChampionBuilder site and... It's not there anymore. WELP

The early-game respec is even easier since On Alert came out; all your starting stats and moves can be respecced for no charge at all if you go straight to the powerhouse on creation and talk to a trainer. At least, that's the case I get whenever I create a new character.
Thanks for the answers talk. It could be interesting to run Lightning Reflexes instead of Targeting Computer (You CAN slot defensive passives into the Ranged Damage Role now, right?), and just let the Crits come as they are while being just a bit tougher. One of the benefits of the Freeform options. It could give me a more easy going time just shooting bullets at everything.

Holy poo poo defensive passives are now completely super stat reliant. :dance: In game at Chargen it doesn't say Dex has anything to do with dodging, just Crit Chance and Stealth effectiveness. So yeah, may go with lightning Reflexes Ranged Damage Role for a more casual entry back into the game than full out damage race.

I'd trust a goon over in game interface though that Dex Matters For Defense, I've been hosed over by ingame claims before either omitting important details or just giving flat out wrong info (Part of why I left DCUO in disgust after 45 minutes). I'll probably spend forever trying to get my Sterotypical Ninja costume just to my liking, so more than enough time to read up on things.

Ninjas Dont Use Guns.

Ninjas are also masters of deception.

EDIT: Oh, Dodge rating from dex is a Specialization option of Dex is your primary Superstat. I'm learning. :eng101:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 5, 2012

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
I don't think you can actually put a defensive slot into a ranged offense's slot, but you probably could run a lightning reflexes hybrid type with Bountiful Chi Resurgence and its advantage to be mostly unkillable since superstats for hybrid roles boost both damage and healing numbers.

Though I'm unsure, I think you cant actually not have an energy builder.

edit: Masterful Dodge works wonders if you're taking LS and BCR!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

HukHukHuk posted:

I don't think you can actually put a defensive slot into a ranged offense's slot, but you probably could run a lightning reflexes hybrid type with Bountiful Chi Resurgence and its advantage to be mostly unkillable since superstats for hybrid roles boost both damage and healing numbers.

Though I'm unsure, I think you cant actually not have an energy builder.

edit: Masterful Dodge works wonders if you're taking LS and BCR!
Yeah. A Gimmick, so much as Role for Hybrid this Lightning Reflexes instead of Ranged Damage for Target Computer is a gimmick, of hard as balls to shoot Munitions guy sounds fun for reentry to this game. Got a returning newb build, skipped filling out the talents for now. I'm happy with the power picks up to Level 17 (unless there is a better sudden hurt out of nowhere option than 3 seconds pray they don't hit you sniper rifle), it's specifically what and what order past that I get hazy on. But I know I definitely want concentration, since I'll already be going without an offensive passive.

http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=5&n=&d=1257K000000F3q0810085058603D90389008C048H03DK058803IB03DL018E048J008F003UbJ3bhy0CAT

It will probably be weeks or more before I actually play the game properly, what with still running through city while it lasts and checking out GW2. But notes are always good to have.

Getting back to this and my first four advantage points going to Shotgun ranks are inevitable though :allears:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 5, 2012

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
How long will that $30 for three month subscription last? I'm trying to get the game patched up now (if Steam cooperates) and wanted to try it for a bit before I get a subscription, but that does seem like a good deal.

Edit: I've skimmed the first post, and it sounds like CO is similar to City of Heroes in that you can make most things work, but some sets just perform better than others. Does that sound about right? I'm planning to roll an archetype to learn the game with, and then if I subscribe I'll play around with the freeform power system. That was what interested me when the game first came out, but I wasn't ready to put the money out on another superhero MMO at the time.

Kevos Setzer fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 6, 2012

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

00Kevin posted:

How long will that $30 for three month subscription last?

3 months

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

henkman posted:

3 months

I probably deserve that, but I mean how long is the sale going for?

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

00Kevin posted:

Edit: I've skimmed the first post, and it sounds like CO is similar to City of Heroes in that you can make most things work, but some sets just perform better than others. Does that sound about right? I'm planning to roll an archetype to learn the game with, and then if I subscribe I'll play around with the freeform power system. That was what interested me when the game first came out, but I wasn't ready to put the money out on another superhero MMO at the time.

Yes.

Some sets can work just fine on their own, while others can be made workable with outside support. (Also note that if you happened to read my powerset writeups, they're all horribly outdated by now.) Since you're in no way bound to take powers from a single set, pretty much everything and anything you create can be shaped into something that operates effectively.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bluhman posted:

Yes.

Some sets can work just fine on their own, while others can be made workable with outside support. (Also note that if you happened to read my powerset writeups, they're all horribly outdated by now.) Since you're in no way bound to take powers from a single set, pretty much everything and anything you create can be shaped into something that operates effectively.
This is true. Back when I was playing at launch, the biggest problem to powers was "oh god how do I decide/Oh, there was a X power I wanted after all in Y power set all this time? :doh:", as well as various powers being spiked into the ground with the nerf sledge as the PvP crowd kept cycling through "best single pick power of the moment until nerf" basically every 24 hours.

Are you rolling a pure Munitions guy? Well your Micro Munitions just got halved in effectiveness! Hey, pure fire blaster guy? Do you like Pyre? Guess what!

It amazed me that Gigabolt still gave me a feedback loop of infinite energy to spam it still when I left off, until I realized that infinite energy feedback loop wouldn't work out in PvP. I'm not surprised to read in the OP it's just now merely awesome.

Back to the good things about the game though, you can (and it's my own plan when I get back to it) make a blaster that's tough as gently caress if you were so inclined.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Section Z posted:

This is true. Back when I was playing at launch, the biggest problem to powers was "oh god how do I decide/Oh, there was a X power I wanted after all in Y power set all this time? :doh:", as well as various powers being spiked into the ground with the nerf sledge as the PvP crowd kept cycling through "best single pick power of the moment until nerf" basically every 24 hours.

Are you rolling a pure Munitions guy? Well your Micro Munitions just got halved in effectiveness! Hey, pure fire blaster guy? Do you like Pyre? Guess what!

It amazed me that Gigabolt still gave me a feedback loop of infinite energy to spam it still when I left off, until I realized that infinite energy feedback loop wouldn't work out in PvP. I'm not surprised to read in the OP it's just now merely awesome.

Back to the good things about the game though, you can (and it's my own plan when I get back to it) make a blaster that's tough as gently caress if you were so inclined.

The PvP community was/is awful human garbage, true enough, but to be fair, Micro Munitions got scoured the gently caress out because people were cake-walking the entire PvE game with teleport-micro-teleport.

To make a good build, combine:
  1. A way to kill the clusters of 4-5 mobs that spawn all over everywhere.
  2. A way to kill single, tougher guys.
  3. A passive that helps 1 and 2 above, or at least makes you hard to kill.
You can split the rest of your build thereafter between redundancy, synergy, and awesome poo poo.

Oh God, writing list tags in this thread is giving me flashbacks...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a whole bunch of Telepathy power changes and new powers on the PTS.

quote:

Passive:
Congress of Selves: This is an Offensive or Balanced passive. Increases Paranormal Damage and Damage over Time effects. Grants resistance to all damage, and Ego damage even more. Reduces the Cost of Mentalist (Telepathy and Telekinesis powers).

Offensive:

Damage over Time:
Mental Leech: An AoE interrupt that applies a damage over time effect to the targets. When this effect expires the foe is afflicted by Ebbing Lifeforce. Ebbing Lifeforce causes allies near the affected target to be healed over time. A target may have 10 stacks of Ebbing Lifeforce at a time.

Shadow of Doubt: A single target interrupt that applies a damage over time effect to the target. When this effect expires the foe is afflicted by Lingering Regret. Lingering Regret reduces the damage the target deals for each stack of Lingering Regret. A target may have 10 stacks of Lingering Regret at a time.

Mental Storm: An AoE Stun that applies a damage over time effect to the the targets. When this effect expires the foe is afflicted by Shadows of the Mind. Shadows of the Mind reduces the resistance to Ego damage for each stack that affects the target. A target may have up to 10 stacks of Shadows of the Mind at a time.

Direct Damage:
Mind Break: Deals single target Ego Damage. Additionally this power detonates stacks of Lingering Regret, Shadows of the Mind, and Ebbing Lifeforce for additional damage and bonus secondary effects. Shadows of the Mind causes Mind Break to ignore 5% of targets resistance. Lingering Regret causes Mind Break to restore energy to the user for each stack. Ebbing Lifeforce causes all allies near the target to be healed for a burst for each stack.

Manifestations:
Manifestations are team wide buffs that you can summon to empower all teammates. You may summon aspects of your Id, Ego, or Superego. You may have one of each aspect out at once, and selecting the appropriate buff for each situation will be one of the greatest keys to your success.

Transformation: Master of the Mind: Transforms you temporarily into a powerful avatar of your inner mind. This power increases your damage and health significantly and causes you to rapidly heal when you enter this state. While in this form you have special versions of Mental Leech, Mental Storm, Shadow of Doubt, and Mindbreak. These versions are much more powerful and recharge must faster.

Cape Glide is also going up on test, but not for another 2 hours.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Hooray! That might mean I'll finally have a dedicated Telepathic character some time in the future.

I literally have somewhere on the volume of 40 alts; not a single one is based around that powerset, because all it has going for it is a really good AoE hold and a pet that works with holds.

Also, after learning how to slow down footage, I'm beginning to fall in love with demos.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
So I'm bummed that CoX is shutting down. Haven't played in a while but my old Regen/spines scrapper is near to my heart, since I even ran ol' Rabid Hedgehog back in the beta and remade her when the game went live.

I like what I'm seeing with the art style and costume options here, but it doesn't seem like there's anything like the spines set :(

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I tried downloading this and oh jesus the character creator is hosed. I literally could not access 90% of the freely available parts without mashing the "random" button until I saw them pop up, the dropdowns were giving me nothing.

Am I just doing something horribly wrong, or is it really that bad off? I played this during the open beta and had no real problem with it, so did they just horribly gently caress it up over the years?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mr. stefan posted:

I tried downloading this and oh jesus the character creator is hosed. I literally could not access 90% of the freely available parts without mashing the "random" button until I saw them pop up, the dropdowns were giving me nothing.

Am I just doing something horribly wrong, or is it really that bad off? I played this during the open beta and had no real problem with it, so did they just horribly gently caress it up over the years?

You have to finish the tutorial first.

What you want to do is make a throwaway character, finish the tutorial, delete it, and have all the pieces for your real character (Who can now skip the tutorial.)

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Aphrodite posted:

You have to finish the tutorial first.

What you want to do is make a throwaway character, finish the tutorial, delete it, and have all the pieces for your real character (Who can now skip the tutorial.)

Man, I was wondering where all the wacky options were. Good thing I already made a throwaway character!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can of course change the costume of the original guy, but that costs money and Silver players get a limited number of costume slots compared to Gold so the throwaway is preferable.

Also go here: http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/champions-online-ffa-game-bundle

The Adventure Packs are now all free so that part is useless, but you get a free Premium Archetype and costume set.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Hey Silver players, 50% off Freeform Slots this weekend. $25 is a much more palatable price for a character slot + perma Freeform for it than $50, and sales don't usually dip below 20% off for Cstore stuff, so jump on this while you can if you're interested.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I can't tell if they're doing that sale as a sign of friendship to Paragon studios, or just being vultures. :mad:

It's probably the friendship one.

Edit: Even though I haven't played Champions since shortly after it went F2P and I lost all my stuff, I'd suggest anyone who is playing it to grab a freeform slot. It makes the game way more fun.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

Hey Silver players, 50% off Freeform Slots this weekend. $25 is a much more palatable price for a character slot + perma Freeform for it than $50, and sales don't usually dip below 20% off for Cstore stuff, so jump on this while you can if you're interested.

Called it.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Also go here: http://www.alienwarearena.com/giveaway/champions-online-ffa-game-bundle

The Adventure Packs are now all free so that part is useless, but you get a free Premium Archetype and costume set.

I tried doing this but the Perfectworld site is weird. Do I have to jump through some cleverly hidden hoops to transfer all my CO stuff (characters, points, etc) from the old Cryptic site to Perfect World?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Krowley posted:

I tried doing this but the Perfectworld site is weird. Do I have to jump through some cleverly hidden hoops to transfer all my CO stuff (characters, points, etc) from the old Cryptic site to Perfect World?

Oh right. The old link no longer works.

What you want to do now is go to the CO website, and login at the top. Then click My Account (You might be taken here automatically after logging in, I don't know) and click Redeem Key then put it in there.

Also the items need to be claimed from the Bonus tap of the in-game Store, they don't just unlock automatically.

You'll need to have your accounts linked but it should guide you through that once you try to login.

Also because the OP is terrible and buried this halfway down, here's how to join the chat channel:
So, how do I get in on Goon action?
We've got a global chat channel. Type "/channel_join SuperGoon" into your chatbox.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Aphrodite posted:

Also because the OP is terrible and buried this halfway down, here's how to join the chat channel:
So, how do I get in on Goon action?
We've got a global chat channel. Type "/channel_join SuperGoon" into your chatbox.

Alternate method: Right-click on a chat tab to bring up the chat options, and the second tab of that lets you find new channels. I knew about the cross-game chat (a great idea) but when I started up CO I was already subscribed to GoonTrek from my STO days.

The whole power system and everything will take some time getting used to, but the client was easy to grasp since it's the same as STO's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Also because the OP is terrible
I saw that. :argh: