Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D Not much to say - it's classic Zelda. The graphics update in this remake is amazing, and the 3D is done really well (for the couple minutes that I actually used it). If you have a 3DS and don't own this, definitely get it.

I'm missing the heart piece at the Bombchu Bowling alley, but the random prize choice is killing me - 20 wins in a row, and you still aren't going to offer it up!?!? :argh: 10 golden skulltulla tokens are also spread around various dungeons, but New Super Mario Bros. 2 just came out, so that's obviously taking priority over some stupid dad that was turned into a spider.

Hamilton's Great Adventure - made it to Level 5 of the final world. I'd be completing it much faster if I wasn't going for Gold on every level. Pretty fun, frogger-esque game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Hob_Gadling posted:

Armageddon is fun, original is ok, second is terrible. I played three levels of the second game and decided enough is enough.

Well I beat the first one and now I'm going to start the second one. Let's see just how bad it is!

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Beat Spec Ops: The Line. Jesus Christ, what a depressing game.

Also beat Sleeping Dogs.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
It's been awhile since I've posted a victory screenshot, but this deserves it, I think:

Beaten: La-Mulana+, with all items (except for the prize from Hell Temple) in about 18 and a half hours. Combat is vastly better balanced, but they removed the mad genius puzzles along with the the deliberately horribly broken ones, and kept most of the maddeningly obtuse ones.

Still, worth the trip. For me.

In addition...

Completed: Iron Brigade. I was gifted this. It's another tower defense/shoot'em up mashup, a la Dungeon Defenders, but it's got a lot more focus on the shooty parts. Also, you're WWI vets in giant walking tanks doing battle against the sinister forces of television. In the DLC, you do this on Mars. What's not to like?

Iron Brigade kind of displaced Defense Grid, which I'm about halfway through, so I guess I should get back to that.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Completed: Sleeping Dogs
drat what a great game!
I even went for 100% everything after beating the story as I already had most collected.
Great story, graphics, atmosphere, difficulty level. Even the driving, which is almost always a letdown in these games, was good. Definitely worth the full price.

Nulled: Eets
It just got boring really quick, but as it was part of a bundle, I don't feel bad about it.

Nulled: Zeno Clash
Because that game was just stupid. No, not fun, quirky, indie or anything. Just stupid.

Nulled: Scarygirl
Way too much platforming for my taste. Nice graphics though. Looks like a great kids game.

Nulled: The Whispered World
What could possible go wrong with a classic point-and-click adventure with beautiful hand drawn graphics?
How about the worst voice acting ever recorded?!
It's even worse than the Saturday morning cartoons, where adults try to make children voices.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 26, 2012

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

ManxomeBromide posted:

Completed: Iron Brigade. I was gifted this. It's another tower defense/shoot'em up mashup, a la Dungeon Defenders, but it's got a lot more focus on the shooty parts. Also, you're WWI vets in giant walking tanks doing battle against the sinister forces of television. In the DLC, you do this on Mars. What's not to like?

Iron Brigade kind of displaced Defense Grid, which I'm about halfway through, so I guess I should get back to that.
Oh man I was ignoring this until I found out that Double Fine made it. They keep quietly coming out with these cool little games that I always miss.

I finally had my fill of Diablo III... and then I tried out the Secret World free trial and got suckered into that. But there were a couple weeks in between where I actually played some other stuff!

The Dream Machine Chapters 1 and 2 - very short but gorgeous looking adventure game, you can play the first chapter for free on the website actually but I bought them both together during the summer sale. Chapter 3 is out now, but there is a long time between episodes due to the games being made basically by hand out of real materials, so who knows when the rest will be out. I loved this, it has amazing attention to detail and a really unique visual design.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - I don't play these kind of games much, but this one got so much praise that I gave it a shot and I mostly liked it. What I didn't like was the story and all the cutscenes, they're skippable but I'd rather just zipline around beating up henchman and exploring the island. The combat was something I never quite got used to either, but it was interestingly different from what I normally play and I got good enough to be passable by the end.

Blackwell Unbound - The second in the Blackwell indie adventure game series, I'll probably buy the next two eventually, as each one in the series keeps improving. I keep buying them one at a time when they go on sale through Steam.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

I decided to take a break from Agarest War for today and knocked out Ultimate Doom. I played the hell out of shareware Doom as a kid so episode one was a fun bit of nostalgia but the later episodes were something of a slog to get through. Some of the later level designs seemed to border on obnoxious. I only finished the original three episodes, I checked out the bonus fourth episode but it relied too heavily on the "spawn enemies from thin air directly behind you" mechanic for my taste and I quit. Also the bosses were a bit of a let down.

I'm still playing Magic 2013, it's still fun but I should probably focus on clearing out games I haven't played rather than sinking more hours into this one. I haven't played anymore Iron Brigade but that's not an indictment of its quality just that I work third shift and can't be around when my friends are playing and I don't care for that game solo.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

I finally beat Uplink after many many tries. It doesn't help that this game is basically permadeath, but you usually don't die until after 4-5 hours of play. I finally figured out how to use the motion detector and self-destruct, which saved my rear end this last time.

In completing the game, I destroyed the internet :smug:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gilgamesh posted:

I finally beat Uplink
:swoon:

Love that game. Now that you know how it works, did you try robbing a bank?

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

Colon V posted:

:swoon:

Love that game. Now that you know how it works, did you try robbing a bank?

Yeah, I think the game would take three times as long otherwise.

Edit: I do want to play it again and try for the non-evil ending :)

Gilgamesh fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 28, 2012

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Gilgamesh posted:

Edit: I do want to play it again and try for the non-evil ending :)
It was the non-evil ending :v:

Beat Air Conflict: Secret Wars. If you liked the first AC (I did), keep away from this pile of poo poo. WASD control scheme but the special option inexplicably mapped to Num-0? Bleh. Cutscenes in real-time with non-optional subtitles replacing your HUD so you have like 4 seconds to react to the next target instead of 10? :fuckoff: Opaque hit counting system where direct hits can do no damage, while hits 5m from target destroy it? Just give me Deus Ex which doesn't pretend it's not RPG-ish.

Also, what's the loving point of giving you a plane before certain mission if you can't even use it then? Yay, bonus... oh wait.

Well, it uninstalls pretty fast, for one.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Lots of awesome games BEATEN:
:words:

Legend of Grimrock:
This game really hit a spot I wasn't even really aware that I had. I loved the methodical nature of parsing out the secrets and figuring out the puzzles, combined with the really distinct atmosphere and progression through the different dungeon type. Likewise, the progression of the quality of loot (plus the limited nature of it) was really refreshing and made new pick-ups feel special, and new enemies always had some specific trick about them.
And what's really great is it's actually an honest-to-God RPG, at least when it comes to the skill and leveling aspects, none of that undercooked "jack of all trades" spreading out skill points and still becoming an unstoppable killing machine bullshit. I'm really looking forward to what people will do with the level editor, I'm keeping this one installed and close-by.

Orcs Must Die 2:
Beat the main single player campaign with the War Mage. I've yet to do co-op yet, but even in the face of that I've been working on my scores and trying not to be so lovely at endless mode. It's a mechanical improvement over the first game in every way, and I loved that one already as it is, this just injected way more great stuff in it and upped the replay value considerably.

NightSky:
Got this in a Humble Bundle ages ago- Nightsky tells the story of a boy and a magical glowing orb that he finds lying on the beach, and the orb's vast odyssey through the boy's dreams (OR ARE THEY?) completing physics puzzles. The story is miniscule and basically fodder to set up the premise of the gameplay, but what's funny and a little endearing is they tie it in at the end for whatever reason.
It's a competently made game, aside from the screen resolution being really lousy when stretched, and just how overall simplistic and dated the game is in its approach. The most interesting it gets are with the ridiculous contraption vehicles you get to pilot occasionally, but the stages are fairly short. In all, though, it made for a very relaxing game, never too frustrating.

Botanicula:
A treat, pure and simple. Take the standard adventure game formula and cut out the hours you spend pixel hunting and illogically combining items for an ultra-specific solution, condensing it all down to "clicking on a bunch of stuff and watching funny things happen." Set it to an amazing soundtrack and wrap it in the unique, gorgeous aesthetic design that Amanita is known for, that's this game. Simple where it counts and just a lot of fun.

Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter:
Played the original years ago and liked it a lot for its devotion to pure, retarded shooting. The HD makeover is nice enough, and it's the same basic gameplay, so I don't really have anything to complain about here, except that the gameplay is starting to show its age with stuff like Hard Reset around. I remember liking Second Encounter more than First, so I'm looking forward to when I get around to playing HD:SE.

I think Cogs and Eets are on their way to being nulled. I don't dislike either, but I'm not really compelled to go out of my way to play either of them, really. I've taken a liking to Nimbus, which I find more visceral and rewarding due to the skill it requires.

Stuck on the last payment on Recettear after restarting from the beginning and haven't touched it in a while. Not sure if I'll be able to get lucky enough to sell what I need, it feels like I progressed a lot slower in things than I was supposed to- Jade Way was the only adventure zone I unlocked, for example, and I only just got the thief as an adventurer in the final week.
And that loving robot girl with cannons for arms comes to my store all the time, but I haven't been able to unlock her as an adventurer. At least I've never had to haggle her down, though, she's a total sucker. Still a great game, I just want to beat it and go New Game+ so I can build my store more.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Working my way through STALKER Shadows of Chernobyl for the first time. This game is hard as gently caress, but I am playing it on the highest difficulty.

After I'm done with this I'm going to play through Penumbra Overture and Amnesia.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Stuck on the last payment on Recettear after restarting from the beginning and haven't touched it in a while. Not sure if I'll be able to get lucky enough to sell what I need, it feels like I progressed a lot slower in things than I was supposed to- Jade Way was the only adventure zone I unlocked, for example, and I only just got the thief as an adventurer in the final week.
And that loving robot girl with cannons for arms comes to my store all the time, but I haven't been able to unlock her as an adventurer. At least I've never had to haggle her down, though, she's a total sucker. Still a great game, I just want to beat it and go New Game+ so I can build my store more.

On restarting: Don't restart. Let the ending cutscene play out and it'll kick you into a New Game+ mode where you keep some of your stuff. Winning on the first iteration is possible but it's not expected.
On progression speed: This is driven mainly by what cutscenes you see with various characters, both in shop and in town. So if you spend a lot of time running the shop, or always open it at the same time, you won't see a lot of in-town cutscenes and the plot will stall. Shop cutscenes, on the other hand, will usually only trigger if that character would enter the shop anyways; since each character has their own preferences, changing the shop atmosphere between light/dark and plain/gaudy will attract different characters.
On Arma: You cannot recruit her until you complete the main storyline and pay off your debt, recruit all of the other characters, and defeat the Geddon Device. She is basically a bonus character to take on the bonus dungeon with.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Well, I'm sure everyone plus their dog will have cleared this by now, so here is a mini-BEAT.

BEATEN: The Walking Dead: Episode 3 - Long Road Ahead - Christ, this game... :smith: If you didn't buy it during the midweek sale, you missed out. Not spoiling anything but this was the best episode for me yet. The guys at TellTale really know what they're doing and deserve all the awards they'll get for this game.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

I need to stop playing games I've already beaten...

But I went through Uplink two more times. Once as the good guys and then again for score. I managed to get more than 2 million points my last run through. I think I can mark this one as mastered and move on now.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten: The Story of Red Cloud. This is actually not a stand-alone game, but a metroidvania total conversion for Terraria. It is also really good. It suffers a bit from the limitations of the engine - all "dialogue" and "cutscenes" are handled through signs, for example - but is nonetheless a lot of fun.

The power level for both you and the bosses goes well above what you'd expect to see in normal Terraria, too. :black101:

I'm not sure I could call this "complete" until I've beaten all of the optional bosses and possibly completed it on Hard, though, and I don't think that's going to happen.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Beaten: Home
This is just an awesome horror story turned into a great game with an great atmosphere.
A play through is only about an hour but it seems like there are a lot of junctions that you don't really notice, which means you get to experience a lot of things that others might not see.
Presentation-wise, it's almost the same as Lone Survivor. The difference is that this one just feels natural and, to be honest, not as "indie pretentious" as LS.
Highly recommended!

Beaten: Gemini Rue
I can't remember playing such a great sci-fi adventure since I played Blade Runner from Westwood all those years ago.
And it's a bit amusing as the feel and a lot of the setting is also straight out of a Blade Runner universe.
I also think it was the first time I was a bit annoyed at the easter eggs added, as it pulled you out of the story at some strange times.
Other than that, a great classic point and click adventure with pretty good pixel art and some great background music and sound effects.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I attempted to play Red Faction 2 but it is so much worse than the first. Hob_gadling, you were right. Instead, I'm playing Just Cause 2. I can tell this is going to be one of those games I play in addition to other games, just because of how large it is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Beaten: The Story of Red Cloud.
I tried to get this to work, but on Normal Difficulty, the "don't/can't break blocks" part of the mod isn't working, but the "don't/can't place blocks" part is. This presents a fairly fundamental problem, as you might imagine.

Which is a shame, this seemed pretty cool. :eng99:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Colon V posted:

I tried to get this to work, but on Normal Difficulty, the "don't/can't break blocks" part of the mod isn't working, but the "don't/can't place blocks" part is. This presents a fairly fundamental problem, as you might imagine.

Which is a shame, this seemed pretty cool. :eng99:

That's really odd. You have the latest version of the mod? You're using tConfig, and using the version that Red Cloud came with, not the latest? You have "Red Cloud - Normal" an only that enabled in the tConfig mod list in game?

Note that there are blocks you're meant to be able to break, and you can pretty much always break background objects like trees, furniture, backwalls, etc. If it's letting you dig/blast tunnels to anywhere, though, that's a problem.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Finished both Lone Survivor and Home recently. Both interesting horror games. Lone Survivor felt like a bit of a let down at the end though. The "mental patient" thing seemed a little too obvious. Also, calling the boss monsters "Daddy" and "Mother"? Jesus, come on.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

That's really odd. You have the latest version of the mod? You're using tConfig, and using the version that Red Cloud came with, not the latest? You have "Red Cloud - Normal" an only that enabled in the tConfig mod list in game?

Note that there are blocks you're meant to be able to break, and you can pretty much always break background objects like trees, furniture, backwalls, etc. If it's letting you dig/blast tunnels to anywhere, though, that's a problem.
I got the most recent complete download from the Red Cloud topic, followed the install instructions in the Read Me, only turned on that one mod, and tried several different times, with several fresh installs. (I also tried quitting out and entering in before doing anything a couple time, because the changelog mentioned that is/was an issue?)

Now, I can't dig through from some directions, but from others, I can. Mostly, it seems that I can still dig through dirt from outside-in. This wouldn't be too much of an issue, and I could just honor-system it, but I also have no idea about what kinds of picks and poo poo should and shouldn't be able to break what materials, because the "play by the rules" stuff isn't in the mod's manual any more, apparently, and I don't know where I'd find it.

:bang:

BKPR posted:

Finished both Lone Survivor and Home recently. Both interesting horror games. Lone Survivor felt like a bit of a let down at the end though. The "mental patient" thing seemed a little too obvious. Also, calling the boss monsters "Daddy" and "Mother"? Jesus, come on.
I liked Lone Survivor a lot, but it's pretty clear that the game is trying way too hard to be Silent Hill 2.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Colon V posted:

Now, I can't dig through from some directions, but from others, I can. Mostly, it seems that I can still dig through dirt from outside-in. This wouldn't be too much of an issue, and I could just honor-system it, but I also have no idea about what kinds of picks and poo poo should and shouldn't be able to break what materials, because the "play by the rules" stuff isn't in the mod's manual any more, apparently, and I don't know where I'd find it.

If you want to play by the rules, it's basically: don't dig through anything that isn't:
- only one tile wide
- or sand, mud, pearlsand, or another "falling" block
- or clearly marked as something you should dig/blast through with signs
and the mod is meant to enforce that.

That said, are you sure it's that broken? I've run into cases where it'll let me dig into corners or dig away the outer layers of something when I clearly shouldn't be able to, but I've never had it let me actually tunnel into solid dirt or rock.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

That said, are you sure it's that broken? I've run into cases where it'll let me dig into corners or dig away the outer layers of something when I clearly shouldn't be able to, but I've never had it let me actually tunnel into solid dirt or rock.
As a test, I started hacking away at the ground near where I spawned. I dug myself into a pit several times too deep to get back out of. So, yes, looks like I'm on the honor system, and hoping really hard I don't accidentally blow something up that I shouldn't. :sigh:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I have NFI, then. It worked perfectly for me.

E: you're absolutely sure that it's the adventure mode mod you activated and not the sandbox mode?

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 2, 2012

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Nulled:Blocks that Matter. Dull, incredibly dull, I can't get into it at all and would rather work.

Beat: Dear Esther. I'm impressed. I needed have a few shots to not be so critical of its games-as-art nature, but with that alcohol in my system it was a pretty magical experience.

Beat: Binding of Isaac. Effectively. I beat Satan, and then Isaac. There's one more secret boss but you need to be fairly dedicated to ever reach him and I'm not that dedicated. Fantastic game, though.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

Finally beat Dungeons of Dredmor. Been playing this since it first came out and my steam clock says 97 hours. This last time I was just like "screw it, I'm just doing easy non-permadeath" and I still had to reload the game 30 times on Dredmor himself. To those of you out there that can beat this game with permadeath, my hat goes off to you.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Gilgamesh posted:

Finally beat Dungeons of Dredmor. Been playing this since it first came out and my steam clock says 97 hours. This last time I was just like "screw it, I'm just doing easy non-permadeath" and I still had to reload the game 30 times on Dredmor himself. To those of you out there that can beat this game with permadeath, my hat goes off to you.

I only play the game on easy permadeath and have probably over 100 characters. I've still never gotten past floor 6 :negative:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Except for Botanicula, August was a month of buying games and then beating them. Minor but nonzero backlog progress!

Meanwhile, September has been unusually busy in terms of games.

I've been having trouble, once again, getting into Fallout 3, so I took the Labor Day weekend opportunity to give The Secret World a whirl on its 3-day trial. I got about 50 missions in before getting tired of it, which earned me an extra two days of trial that I probably won't use.

It's got some interesting ideas, and it comes the closest I've found to the glory days of City of Heroes in terms of the way combat felt, but it's also got a lot of gameplay hiccups and feels like it didn't really want to be an MMO. Not worth the subscription for me, but if it went GW2-pricing with a box cost and then f2p after that, I'd probably have to think about it.

[:science:]
I also got a new laptop that runs Linux, and started loading up old Humble Bundle games on it to test out how well they worked. Answer: amazingly well! Jamestown and Bastion were both completely seamless (after I installed an addon package that really should have been there from the start for my Intel graphics drivers) and BIT.TRIP RUNNER only had slight hitching if I ran it in 1080p. It was fine at 720p.

I had 100%ed NightSky on Windows before NightSky HD came out at all - and NightSky HD works great on Linux too at 1080p. It also looks amazing. If this is on your backlog, play the HD version.
[/:science:]

[:rant:]
Oh, and Gish worked, too. gently caress Gish. Death to Gish. The manual is a loving Shockwave Flash object which is the only place outside of GameFAQs that tells you how to loving jump, though I'd worked out all the other tricky moves that are only mentioned there on my own.

And yet I managed to make it more than halfway through the game just on the strength of physics engine abuse. I had originally started messing with it to see if all my bad experiences with the game were because I had played it before getting good at platformers.

Then I got murdered at least a hundred times by various bullshit physics engine bugs in World 5, when I wasn't instead getting stranded and needing to reset. The best part is that this would invariably happen right before the level exit and I'd have to work my tedious way through the five-or-six-minute levels over and over and over and over and over until the physics engine or the wildly inconsistent damage model deigned to let me through.

I was mostly checking video playthroughs towards the end to make sure I was on the track, which is how I learned that when you beat the game your kidnapped girlfriend plunges into a lava pit making the entire ordeal pointless. So, I savescummed, and managed to actually do it right, which gave me a change of two sentences in the "YOU WIN" text, and this:

gently caress you so much, game. If I hadn't been savescumming, and I'd hosed up, I'd have needed to replay the whole game to get back to the chance to do that right, since you then saved a new 1-1 game over that slot. And for One. loving. Point.

Jackwagons.
[/:rant:]

BEATEN: Gish. Would that I could beat it with something heavier. Still, this is the first Backlog game that I've beaten on a Linux machine. That's a milestone of sorts, I guess.

Gish was on my original backlog list. That original backlog is mostly gone now, it turns out: the only things left are Dragon Age: Origins, King's Bounty: The Legend and Armored Princess, Recettear, Torchlight, and Uru. None of those really appeal right now, so maybe I'll fire up Fallout 3 yet again and at least try to get out of Vault 101. I'd be more dispirited, but (a) I just beat Gish, and (b) it took ages for me to get into HL2 and then it grabbed me hard. No reason yet to think FO3 won't work the same way.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
NULLED: Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders. Honestly, this is one of the best Doom clones that I've played thus far. The weapons are balanced, enemies generally don't have hitscan attacks, and the level design is decent-to-good. I just don't have the patience for this type of "find key, find door, find next key, etc." gameplay anymore.

BEAT: Portal 2. I could write an essay on how Portal 2 is more-or-less the Cabin in the Woods of puzzle games: A complete deconstruction of the genre that lampoons both the developers who keep cranking them out and the players who keep buying them. It also helps that the puzzles have enough variety that they never grow old or stale. Is it better than the first Portal? I'm saying no; they're different games that possess different messages. But it was well worth the play-through.

NULLED: The Binding of Isaac. Speaking of video game storytelling, I was amazed at how Edmund McMillen managed to create a game with random level design that still manages to tell a decently coherent story. It's too bad I'll never finish it, though, because it's loving hard as hell and I can never manage to get very far.

Amplicon
Apr 27, 2011

Captain Obvious
@ Devil with wings. Be sure to give portal 2 a go in coop mode too. Can be a source of some hillarious moments.

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

Amplicon posted:

@ Devil with wings. Be sure to give portal 2 a go in coop mode too. Can be a source of some hillarious moments.

There are some pretty amazing levels in steam workshop as well.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I decided not to do the bonus levels in Hamilton's Great Adventure because I was getting tired of the same-ness to everything, so I marked it as Beaten and took it off my Now Playing list.

I picked up Psychonauts again. This game is good, though the controls on the PC feel a bit off. Was it better on the consoles, originally?

Trying to beat something else before I have to sign-off of games for a couple weeks due to getting married and all that is involved with that.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I'm now 11 hours or so into Fallout 3, and I'm level 7 and thinking about maybe going to advance the main plot a little. Except for the fact that it managed to bluescreen my system once, it's a pretty good game.

It's dauntingly huge though. :gonk: I also seem to have a bunch of DLC (I guess because the GOTY version comes with it all). Broken Steel is definitely on the list of things I'm going to have to play (as it's the "the rest of the game" DLC) - how are the others?

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I picked up Psychonauts again. This game is good, though the controls on the PC feel a bit off. Was it better on the consoles, originally?

It was worse on consoles, originally; the weird controls you're feeling are more "this is the first action-y game they'd made, and it shows." The PC version has rebalanced parts of it, most notably the infamously controller-smashing last level.

Which I managed to beat on the PS2 back in the day, mind you - but I'm stubborn like that.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Beaten UFO: Afterlight again, this time on Steam. Man, I don't know why I thought this the best game of the series. Each environment has precisely ONE map that repeats over and over. After the 20th desert robot mission I knew exactly what's going to spawn and where. Also, missing items for research despite having hundreds of them in storage (I'm looking at you acid ammo). Going back to Aftermath now. Or the old X-Com.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

ManxomeBromide posted:

I'm now 11 hours or so into Fallout 3, and I'm level 7 and thinking about maybe going to advance the main plot a little. Except for the fact that it managed to bluescreen my system once, it's a pretty good game.

It's dauntingly huge though. :gonk: I also seem to have a bunch of DLC (I guess because the GOTY version comes with it all). Broken Steel is definitely on the list of things I'm going to have to play (as it's the "the rest of the game" DLC) - how are the others?

They're OK, with the exception of Mothership Zeta, which is unredeemably awful.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I've finally gotten around to playing some games in the last couple of weeks. I've finished these:

1000 Amps: Fun puzzles in a fun map that you wander around Metroidvania-style. I liked it.

Botanicula: Amanita is a great developer, and although this didn't seem to have as much 'meat' to it in terms of gameplay as Machinarium, it was still a lot of fun. The art and sound design are beautiful. Puzzles were not inspiring but got the job done.

Stacking: So happy Double Fine is back on PC. My only complaint about Stacking is that it could've used an option to pull back the camera; I actually got some motion sickness while playing it. As with all DF games it has tons of character and charm, and the art is gorgeous, as expected.

Back to the Future: The Game: I had my doubts about this as I've felt thoroughly burned out on Telltale's formula in the last couple of years. This doesn't deviate from that formula, but I ended up quite enjoying it nonetheless. As with seemingly all of their games, though, I think it suffers from the episodic format (limited locales, limited characters, etc.), and it was really easy. And Telltale's control scheme is still atrocious and I was fighting it the whole time on kb/m. But as with their other games, it ends up being fun despite how limited it is... does just enough, basically. I guess The Walking Dead is their first real homerun, but I haven't played that yet.

Hard Reset: I usually play FPS games on the second highest difficulty, but after two levels I took it down to 'Normal' and never looked back. It was so, so much more fun that way. In a game where it seems almost impossible to avoid taking damage I think it's a lot more fun to take that damage head-on with a shotgun than take it while running backwards haplessly. Especially when there's no quicksave. Proper run-and-gun shooter, loved it. Also, it looks beautiful and my now-sorta-ancient HD4890 can run it on Ultra. And there's an in-game benchmark tool; much appreciated, that. Good on them for releasing the DLC for free, too.

Up next I'm thinking PixelJune Eden, and then it's time for a big one. Either AC: Revelations, Divinity II or Alan Wake.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Played a few games this weekend and on Friday that I feel like I can check off the list.

Battlestations: Pacific - This is a very underrated game, although it is old. It holds its value quite well, as it is always fun to plaster naval vessels.

Cave Story+ - I'm nulling this one out. It's just too boring, and the controls feel sloppy. Like one of the bad NES platformers.

Dead Space - Nulling this one out too. It's just not fun.

Fallout: New Vegas - After so many hours, I've finally finished the game and all the DLC. Worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

SquadronROE posted:

Cave Story+ - I'm nulling this one out. It's just too boring, and the controls feel sloppy. Like one of the bad NES platformers.

:(

I'm currently playing through Ys: The Oath in Felghana and VVVVVV. both are great, and of course, intensely difficult.