Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

The Dregs posted:

What is a good game that can be played with kids in the 8-10 year old range? I mean these cool new games you all are talking about, not Monopoly or Stratego. I almost bought Small World today, but I didn't want to plop down 55 bucks on a maybe.

Kids will likely love the poo poo out of Small World. It's easy to understand and is filled with wacky races. I think you could certainly do a lot worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Dregs posted:

What is a good game that can be played with kids in the 8-10 year old range? I mean these cool new games you all are talking about, not Monopoly or Stratego. I almost bought Small World today, but I didn't want to plop down 55 bucks on a maybe.

I really love Blokus. It's less obscure than most of the games here, has a lot of bright colors and fun pieces, cheaper than a lot of the games typically recommended in the thread, and you can explain it to anyone in less than three minutes.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

The Dregs posted:

I don't have personal experience playing it with kids, but Ticket to Ride seems like the best fit. If these are kinda nerdy kids then they should be able to grasp the complexity of anything with colourful characters (I'm thinking Quarriors in particular, but Small World would also fit), at least if my 8-year-old self's encyclopedic knowledge of Pokemon cards is anything to go by.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
So it looks like someone's went ahead and created Blood Bowl 40K.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

The Dregs posted:

My girlfriend has an eight year old girl who loves Ticket To Ride.

In other news, I have ventured on to eBay and purchased myself a copy of Thirty Years War by GMT, which (apperently?) runs off of the Paths of Glory engine (which I absolutely love).

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Dregs posted:

You might want to check out Antoine Bauza's games, particularly Takenoko and maybe the upcoming Tokaido. They are super light with a really attractive art style.

Composition 1 and 2
Feb 1, 2009
Found Space Alert at the FLGS one town over for 60 and snapped it up. People are coming over Monday to play. What are the crucial tutorials/aids I should look at tomorrow in preparation?

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Just picked up Morels, a light but surprisingly thoughtful 2P card game themed around collecting mushrooms in the forest, which AFAIK may not have made its way far past Pennsylvania. If anyone can find a copy, it's surprisingly excellent (especially for $25). For all practical purposes this is my first review; hope it's readable.

The core gameplay is a set collection mechanic. If you get 3 or more mushroom cards of a kind, you can spend a turn to cook a meal with them, earning VP. Different mushrooms are worth different amounts of VP. The most valuable are the Morels, worth twice as many as any other mushroom; but since there are only three in the game, it's very possible to block the other player from getting a matched set. And since there is a very restrictive limit on hand size (more on this later) having just one Morel is a little obnoxious.

Cards are collected by drafting them from a queue in the center, in a process that reminds me of Small World (though there's probably a better comparison). Eight cards are available; the first two are free, but the third costs one "walking stick," the third costs two, and so forth. "Walking sticks" thematically represent tips from the locals on where to find the best mushrooms, and can be obtained by selling mushrooms (instead of cooking them) in sets of two or more. At the end of every turn, the first remaining card In the queue "decays," entering a decay pile which any player can spend his turn to pick up all at once.

Where the game really impresses me is the balance. One card you can gain is a "Basket," increasing your maximum hand size substantially. In many games this would dominate gameplay, especially since the hand size limit is extremely restrictive here (you can never discard unless you pick up a poisonous mushroom, which is a very drastic measure as it forces you to discard a lot.) Here it's always a hard decision, and some strategies don't even seem to call for it. If for instance you're primarily aiming to cook the valuable Morels, you'll probably sell most of your mushrooms for walking sticks to make sure you can get to the Morels as soon as they become available. Since you're selling your mushrooms instead of letting them pile up, and there are only three Morels to collect, a big hand might not be necessary.

But the baskets are just one example: there are several different important resources. Pans, one of which is required for each "meal" you cook. Butter and Cider, which add large VP bonuses when you "cook" sets of 4 or 5 or more, enabling strategies based around a mass of low-quality mushrooms. And of course the various types of mushrooms themselves. All of these cards' availability varies from game to game depending on the order they arise in, and you have opportunities to interfere with your opponent's supply of one or another.

Also interesting is the pacing of the game. It's important to control the movement of the cards through the queue, ensuring the cards you want won't be snatched out from under you, or that your opponent doesn't get an enormously valuable windfall from the "decay" pile. Hence you sometimes want to "skip" a turn instead of picking up a mushroom and moving the queue along farther than necessary. You can't actually skip a turn but get this effect by spending a turn cooking a meal, selling mushrooms, or putting a Pan in place. So there's a somewhat interesting tension: should you do these things immediately to gain their benefits and get more space in hand (and maybe pick up the decay pile)? Or do wait until you really need to skip a turn?

I guess this wall of text might make it sound a bit too intense? It's a light game, quick to teach (I've already explained about half of the rules) and quick to play. The theme's very pleasant and fits nicely; artwork's nice, although the cards are of mediocre quality (what can you say: an inexpensive, obscure game from a small publisher).

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Composition 1 and 2 posted:

Found Space Alert at the FLGS one town over for 60 and snapped it up. People are coming over Monday to play. What are the crucial tutorials/aids I should look at tomorrow in preparation?

Really, you can wait to read anything until the game day, and discover the game together with your friends. It's what I did, and worked amazingly because of how the tutorial manual is written. If you want to be more prepared than that, give the rules manual a once over so you know how to set up the board and such. But honestly, the tutorial manual covers everything, and is actively fun to read aloud.

Han Yolo
Feb 14, 2012

McNerd posted:

Just picked up Morels, a light but surprisingly thoughtful 2P card game themed around collecting mushrooms in the forest, which AFAIK may not have made its way far past Pennsylvania. If anyone can find a copy, it's surprisingly excellent (especially for $25). For all practical purposes this is my first review; hope it's readable.

The core gameplay is a set collection mechanic. If you get 3 or more mushroom cards of a kind, you can spend a turn to cook a meal with them, earning VP. Different mushrooms are worth different amounts of VP. The most valuable are the Morels, worth twice as many as any other mushroom; but since there are only three in the game, it's very possible to block the other player from getting a matched set. And since there is a very restrictive limit on hand size (more on this later) having just one Morel is a little obnoxious.

Cards are collected by drafting them from a queue in the center, in a process that reminds me of Small World (though there's probably a better comparison). Eight cards are available; the first two are free, but the third costs one "walking stick," the third costs two, and so forth. "Walking sticks" thematically represent tips from the locals on where to find the best mushrooms, and can be obtained by selling mushrooms (instead of cooking them) in sets of two or more. At the end of every turn, the first remaining card In the queue "decays," entering a decay pile which any player can spend his turn to pick up all at once.

Where the game really impresses me is the balance. One card you can gain is a "Basket," increasing your maximum hand size substantially. In many games this would dominate gameplay, especially since the hand size limit is extremely restrictive here (you can never discard unless you pick up a poisonous mushroom, which is a very drastic measure as it forces you to discard a lot.) Here it's always a hard decision, and some strategies don't even seem to call for it. If for instance you're primarily aiming to cook the valuable Morels, you'll probably sell most of your mushrooms for walking sticks to make sure you can get to the Morels as soon as they become available. Since you're selling your mushrooms instead of letting them pile up, and there are only three Morels to collect, a big hand might not be necessary.

But the baskets are just one example: there are several different important resources. Pans, one of which is required for each "meal" you cook. Butter and Cider, which add large VP bonuses when you "cook" sets of 4 or 5 or more, enabling strategies based around a mass of low-quality mushrooms. And of course the various types of mushrooms themselves. All of these cards' availability varies from game to game depending on the order they arise in, and you have opportunities to interfere with your opponent's supply of one or another.

Also interesting is the pacing of the game. It's important to control the movement of the cards through the queue, ensuring the cards you want won't be snatched out from under you, or that your opponent doesn't get an enormously valuable windfall from the "decay" pile. Hence you sometimes want to "skip" a turn instead of picking up a mushroom and moving the queue along farther than necessary. You can't actually skip a turn but get this effect by spending a turn cooking a meal, selling mushrooms, or putting a Pan in place. So there's a somewhat interesting tension: should you do these things immediately to gain their benefits and get more space in hand (and maybe pick up the decay pile)? Or do wait until you really need to skip a turn?

I guess this wall of text might make it sound a bit too intense? It's a light game, quick to teach (I've already explained about half of the rules) and quick to play. The theme's very pleasant and fits nicely; artwork's nice, although the cards are of mediocre quality (what can you say: an inexpensive, obscure game from a small publisher).

I've seen this game compared to Jaipur, which my sister and I really like, so I've been trying to decide whether or not I should pick this up. How do you think the lasting appeal is? I'm worried the game might get old quickly. Have you played Jaipur and if so, how does it compare? Also, did you get the wooden bits with the game? I'm leaning towards getting them but I'm not sure if they're worth the $7.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

The Dregs posted:

My nieces are 9 and 11 and they've enjoyed the following few games for the last couple years: Survive - Escape from Atlantis, Flash Point, Ticket to Ride (the older kid), Zombie Dice and Zooloretto. I also bought them Hey, That's My Fish! because it SHOULD be right up there alley, but it kind of takes a long time to reset all the stupid tiles for another game, so they never wanted to play it that often.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

VoodooXT posted:

Ive just got in on the kickstarter. It sounds really good having read the designers blog and his Q&A on BGG. Theres also reports from playtesters filtering out which are all positive. It looks like it has a very different take on things than Bloodbowl, sure they are both sports games, but this has much more in common with the old Atari/Amiga game Speedball 2 than it does American football. It also looks like it plays much faster than Bloodbowl. I just wish they had moved away from fantasy races in space, but given the rest of their range of products its not a surprise.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

The Dregs posted:

I'm sure they would love King of Tokyo. Throwing dice, big monsters, lots of fun!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

VoodooXT posted:

Someone remake Warhammer Quest oh please oh please

Turambar posted:

I'm sure they would love King of Tokyo. Throwing dice, big monsters, lots of fun!

Not to say that 8 years olds wouldn't like it, but I have problems with King of Tokyo - it seems like the rules don't support the theme very well - I often see players who often go on to win staying out of Tokyo, re-rolling any damage that comes up, and still doing very well just based on the victory points and energy they roll on the dice themselves.

Seems contrary to the theme of "monsters fighting over a city".

Gort fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 2, 2012

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Gort posted:

Someone remake Warhammer Quest oh please oh please

I posted a link to it a couple pages back, there is an iOS port of WHQ in active development with an expected release date of next Spring. I'd like to think that if it does well it would convince GW to do a reprint or refresh of the board game but it's GW so who knows.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

1Q84 posted:

I've seen this game compared to Jaipur, which my sister and I really like, so I've been trying to decide whether or not I should pick this up. How do you think the lasting appeal is? I'm worried the game might get old quickly. Have you played Jaipur and if so, how does it compare? Also, did you get the wooden bits with the game? I'm leaning towards getting them but I'm not sure if they're worth the $7.

I've only played a couple of games so I don't want to say too much, but I have high hopes for the longevity. The FLGS worker who recommended it to me seems to have gotten a ton of play out of it, and the different possible starting hands and different possible orders that the cards could come up seem to provide a fair amount of variety.

I saw a display version with the wooden bits but the only ones they had available for sale were the cardboard, so I can comment on both. The wooden pieces are really a nice touch and I'd much rather play with them than the cardboard. Honestly though you could probably go pick up a few twigs in the woods and be just as happy (whittle the bark off or not), and that's probably what I'm going to do. Whether this makes me a bad person I don't know.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 2, 2012

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Played Small World yesterday with all three mini-expansions (Grand Dames, Cursed!, and Be Not Afraid). They add a LOT of variety, regardless of how many people are playing. Were-Elves, in particular, were a really nasty combination, and on turn 2 (after Stout Tritons went immediately in Decline), I pretty much stomped down an entire side of the board. The only thing that slowed me down were my brother-in-law's Historian Sorcerers. He ended up winning; it was a very close game though, 96 to 93, with my father & niece fighting for third place.

My brother-in-law also brought Ascension, which I've been curious about for a while. I like its flavor and gameplay, and it seems more fun than Eminent Domain, as much as I love anything with a sci-fi theme. I picked it up for iOS to play a bit more and make a final judgment on it. In the meantime, Small World Underground is in my near future, as I already got the Tunnels add-on (for free!) from Days of Wonder.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Countblanc posted:

I really love Blokus. It's less obscure than most of the games here, has a lot of bright colors and fun pieces, cheaper than a lot of the games typically recommended in the thread, and you can explain it to anyone in less than three minutes.

:frogc00l::respek::frogc00l:

Blokus is great for kids, fast games at work during lunch, getting mom/grandma to play a game, and dicking each other over after the bar.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
I finally got around to Betrayal at House on the Hill, and, despite being really excited about it, am underwhelmed. It's easy to start people on, but it feels like nothing substantial happens before the Haunt begins. You explore new rooms, but the cards I drew (Item, Omen, Event) tended to hint at cooler rules than I ever got to use -- I never had the chance to have my dog pick up an item! Sounds like it would be useful, but I've never come across an item on the floor.

The second time I played it, there were six Omen cards on the table when the Haunt was activated, and none of us had items. We rolled the Dracula one and had no chance, even though it became day on turn two.

Although I like the exploration aspect, the first half of the game feels pointless. The second half is usually cool, but the fact that the Haunts are scripted and I may have to choose one I haven't played is a turn off. Ultimately, Betrayal's problem is that it can't decide whether it wants to be a relatively simple exploration game or a more complex many-against-one strategy game. Board game nerds will enjoy the second half quite a bit but will be bored for the first, and casual gamers will find the second half too complex and jarring to enjoy.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
On further thought, Turn the Tide is another fun kid-oriented game with some cool mechanics.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Ricochet Robots would also be good for kids, I think, although I don't know enough about kids to say what age group would be best. I can't say enough good things about this game in general.

It's a puzzle game, played on a grid that is mostly empty space but has some walls on it. (The board is modular so it's different each session). There are 4-5 movable "robots," which can be moved horizontally or vertically but, if moved, must travel as far in that direction as possible until hitting an obstacle (a wall or another robot). The goal is to move a randomly chosen robot to a randomly chosen destination. For instance you might have to move the red robot to the space with a red diamond printed on it; and to do this you might have to move the blue robot to block its path at a key moment; and you might need the green robot in order to get the blue robot into position, and so forth.

Anyhow, all of this has to be done in your head, without moving the pieces. Someone calls out "I can solve it in 12 moves" and starts a one-minute hourglass timer, at which point the other players have one minute to come up with a shorter solution. (Or to come up with a longer solution, and hope the first guy made a mistake). When the time runs out, the player with the shortest solution plays it out and gets one point, and you start a new round from the resulting position. If you're not super-competitive about keeping score then you can just play as many rounds as you feel like; each one's short and it has that great addictive "Just one more before we quit..." feeling. If you play REALLY casually you can just drop in and out of the game between or even during rounds, which I would bet is especially convenient if the kid pulls the game out when you're semi-busy or something.

It works well for virtually any number of players, from solitaire to a dozen or so. The difficulty level is pretty cool too. It varies widely; occasionally there's just one that nobody can solve, and eventually you just laugh and give up. On other occasions it's so easy that even beginners can solve it, if they're paying a little more attention or just get lucky enough to be the first to see the obvious solution. (If there are a huge number of players, beginners will probably have a hard time scoring this way; but they'll still have a minute to at least find a solution and be proud of that). And other rounds just burn your brain; I've played out 25-move solutions and felt like an absolute genius.

McNerd posted:

(Talking about Morels)
I saw a display version with the wooden bits but the only ones they had available for sale were the cardboard, so I can comment on both. The wooden pieces are really a nice touch and I'd much rather play with them than the cardboard. Honestly though you could probably go pick up a few twigs in the woods and be just as happy (whittle the bark off or not), and that's probably what I'm going to do. Whether this makes me a bad person I don't know.

Just to follow up, I hadn't noticed the deluxe version also came with little sauté pans as well as the sticks. I don't have any opinion on those.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 2, 2012

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Lawen posted:

I posted a link to it a couple pages back, there is an iOS port of WHQ in active development with an expected release date of next Spring. I'd like to think that if it does well it would convince GW to do a reprint or refresh of the board game but it's GW so who knows.

I've been playing a lot of Warhammer Quest lately, and after one play of mine, my friend got a copy for himself off of Ebay. How much do you think a reissue would retail for?

I guess my question is if new games like Descent 2 cost $70+, why is spending $150+ on an out of print classic so unappealing to people? Is it just sticker shock that ONE game costs that much? It's not like WHQ is unavailable, there are always a bunch of auctions for it, it's just people seem to balk at the cost.

Any reissue would have to be at least $100, I'd think, maybe more, anyway. And every gamer I know doesn't just buy like one board game a year or something, they could easily afford WHQ, they just choose to spend that money on other games instead.

Which is fine, but I'd just be surprised if there were a huge market of people willing to spend $100+ and not $150.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

McNerd posted:

Just to follow up, I hadn't noticed the deluxe version also came with little sauté pans as well as the sticks. I don't have any opinion on those.

I do, I think they're fantastic and even emailed the creator to see if I could buy some more. He didn't respond :smith:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've been playing a lot of Warhammer Quest lately, and after one play of mine, my friend got a copy for himself off of Ebay. How much do you think a reissue would retail for?

I guess my question is if new games like Descent 2 cost $70+, why is spending $150+ on an out of print classic so unappealing to people? Is it just sticker shock that ONE game costs that much? It's not like WHQ is unavailable, there are always a bunch of auctions for it, it's just people seem to balk at the cost.

Any reissue would have to be at least $100, I'd think, maybe more, anyway. And every gamer I know doesn't just buy like one board game a year or something, they could easily afford WHQ, they just choose to spend that money on other games instead.

Which is fine, but I'd just be surprised if there were a huge market of people willing to spend $100+ and not $150.

The issue is Warhammer Quest usually sells for a lot more than $150. A complete original box is going for more like ~$250+ (I'm seeing $300 and higher for complete sets in sale history). Plus, you have to deal with eBay and hope the guy listing actually knows if it has all the parts, etc. When most people have never played it, that's a really big blind buy.

Meanwhile, something like Descent can be bought for $50 online, has more/arguable better minatures, and will likely have a mountain of affordable supplements created.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

So did Resistance again. Last time with 7 players it was a consistent town romp. This time, with 10 players, it was a consistent spy romp. The spies went 3/3 last night, and I think the larger number of players adding chaos to the mix was the greatest factor in winning. The players who were there during the 7-player town romps also were more aggressive as spies, forcing more immediate finger-pointing and suspicions. There were also a pair of instances of someone flat-out lying about someone else' loyalty card, which didn't happen last time, and consistently benefited the spies (as some players didn't really get into trying to read poker faces, and instead preferred declaring both players to be damaged goods).

It was a lot of fun. My gf and I had the misfortune of both sitting next to each other while always being on opposite teams and ever-able to tell when the other one was a spy despite nobody listening to us. We each ended up trustworthy in the games where we were spies, and not trusted in games in which we weren't. Funny how that worked out.

Party Playoffs by the makers of Cranium was another game we did with 10 people. It's a dead simple game. There is a march madness style bracket with room for 32 items. There are 4 categories of stuff (people, places, actions, and things), with each categories having 8 random entries (Places may range from outhouse to Tijuana to Hong Kong, people might be Harrison Ford, Rambo, Mother Theresa, actions might be air guitar, playing harmonica, or last night's favorite beating around the bush, etc).

For each matchup, a card is drawn with 5 questions on it, one for each category plus one for semifinal matchups between related fields (which become more abstract). So for "Places", a question might be "where would it be better to hold a fundraiser" in "Tijuana" vs. "Honeymoon Suite". Then people argue about which is the better answer, and a majority vote takes place. The twist is that every player has to create their own bracket in secret, picking which selections they think will make the final 4, 2, win, and then as a potential point-getter select another player and guess what that player would put to win.

So now it becomes a game where once in every one of the 4 categories each player will have a vested interest in seeing one of the choices win regardless of how absurd it would be for that choice to win. The only time I think people didn't bother to put up a fight for their choice was last night, when (after a previous win involving a lot of innuendo) "beating around the bush" was in a matchup where the question was "What makes for a great family pastime?"

It fits with the Resistance in that people get loud, boisterous, and (when mixed with alcohol) hilarious. It's also good to help keep 10 people interested in gaming when most games max out at 4-7.

flashdim
Oct 19, 2005

Still losing criticals
RIW Hobbies in Livonia, MI still has a copy of Space Alert and a bunch of the expansion for retail price if you don't want to wait for the reprints and are hunting down copies. I snagged their second copy of the base game and can't wait to try it out.

I don't know if there's a shortage on Galaxy Trucker but they had that too.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I tried Zombiecide yesterday and it was merely okay-ish I guess. It's Ameritashy as gently caress and the characters aren't all balanced. Luckily it's full coop which mitigates the :rolleyes: factor. It's also got some wonky rules for firearms where apparently you must shoot your friends BEFORE zombies. Spaces are these wide open zones that you shoot into but apparently you always magically aim at your teammates first or something. And entire buildings spawn when you open a door based on your highest level character, so it seems potentially game breaking to go around and open every door right at the start.

Definitely glad I didn't get this on kickstarter but might play again given the right mood. It's better than Zombies! but not nearly as good as Last Night on Earth.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Cocks Cable posted:

I tried Zombiecide yesterday and it was merely okay-ish I guess. It's Ameritashy as gently caress and the characters aren't all balanced. Luckily it's full coop which mitigates the :rolleyes: factor. It's also got some wonky rules for firearms where apparently you must shoot your friends BEFORE zombies. Spaces are these wide open zones that you shoot into but apparently you always magically aim at your teammates first or something. And entire buildings spawn when you open a door based on your highest level character, so it seems potentially game breaking to go around and open every door right at the start.

Definitely glad I didn't get this on kickstarter but might play again given the right mood. It's better than Zombies! but not nearly as good as Last Night on Earth.

I played it after GenCon and felt the same. The theme is there, but the rules are wonky and hell and after a few plays I feel like, unless some of the missions REALLY vary the goals, there are exploitable methods to winning the game or at least have a huge head start ahead of the what the designers intended.

I feel it's a lot like Panic Station where the rules make it almost better to play against the intended theme. If people are interested I can write up a more concise review of the game. I have now played about ten times in five different scenarios - not counting the crappy tutorial.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Any reports back on the new Netrunner? I still have old Runner and Corp decks in my Big Box o' CCG and was wondering how the new one is turning out.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

There's this Kickstarter for a Space Alert type game:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bfrgames/damage-report

It's basically a modular, real-time pick-up-and-deliver game where you're trying to repair damaged sections of your ship using components scattered around the ship (although there are multiple scenarios that change the strategy, it seems that's the core gameplay mechanic). It looks interesting enough to play and doesn't look like it would feel too similar to Space Alert, but I doubt it's half as fun. I mean, we're talking about Space Alert here.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

sicarius posted:

I feel it's a lot like Panic Station where the rules make it almost better to play against the intended theme. If people are interested I can write up a more concise review of the game. I have now played about ten times in five different scenarios - not counting the crappy tutorial.
Living on the wrong side of the world and without a single con nearby where I could have tried it, I'd be interested in hearing something more in-depth. The KS looked vaguely promising and since they're apparently getting it out the door as we speak, I was considering getting it as an alternative to Zombies! and LNoE.

DrSalt
Jun 27, 2010

Rio Grande Games posted:

A few hundred Space Alert were received at the warehouse on Wednesday. They are making their way through the retail channel now; if you order from your favorite retail outlet now, there's a chance you could get your hands on one of those. If not, do not despair. A batch was printed up in the last 2 weeks in the Czech Republic. It'll take 1 to 4 months for those to wend their way to our shores, but all things going correctly you should be able to get your hands on a copy of Space Alert before the year is out.

I got this message from Rio Grande earlier today and was able to snag a copy for myself. I know there are some people still looking so call around and there may be some new ones out there.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Apparently the new copies of Space Alert will have plastic pieces reminiscent of the glass ones that came with the ones at Essen.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

VoodooXT posted:

Apparently the new copies of Space Alert will have plastic pieces reminiscent of the glass ones that came with the ones at Essen.
Any pictures of the new ones?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Pierzak posted:

Any pictures of the new ones?

So far there aren't any pictures; it's apparently what some guy heard from Czech Games after e-mailing them (1st reply in the thread).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/838543/any-word-on-the-august-reprint

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Played Ygdrassil this weekend at DragonCon and holy poo poo that game is brutal. We lost literally on the last card but it was so tense and fun we had a small crowd of people gathered watching.

If you haven't played it, it's like Shadows Over Camelot, except without a traitor, Norse mythology themed, and WAY harder.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I just finished my first game of Small World with the kids. I am sure I played a few things wrong. Can someone clear these small questions up for me?

1) When you attack, can you move troops from separate lands to combine on an enemy? We ruled that you could, as long as all the attackers came from lands adjacent to the land they were attacking.

2) Can attackers attack again as long as they leave a guy behind? IE, can I attack one land with 4 trolls, then move on to the next with 3, leaving one behind to hold the fort? We ruled no, each token can only move one square.

4) Can you move onto the board all over the place, or do subsequent waves of attackers need to be adjacent to the first?

The game went well for a little while, then my kids turned surly and gave each other the poo poo eye whenever they were attacked. Then they would use five troops to attack one land (rather than 2 to occupy the empty land next to it), just so long as they could get their revenge. There were tears and threats of violence.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

The Dregs posted:

I just finished my first game of Small World with the kids. I am sure I played a few things wrong. Can someone clear these small questions up for me?

1) When you attack, can you move troops from separate lands to combine on an enemy? We ruled that you could, as long as all the attackers came from lands adjacent to the land they were attacking.

2) Can attackers attack again as long as they leave a guy behind? IE, can I attack one land with 4 trolls, then move on to the next with 3, leaving one behind to hold the fort? We ruled no, each token can only move one square.

4) Can you move onto the board all over the place, or do subsequent waves of attackers need to be adjacent to the first?

1) Small World doesn't really work like that so far as specifically attacking from Point A to Point B. That's more like Risk. At the beginning of your turn, you have the choice to pick up as many of your tokens as you want that are still in play, even going so far as to abandon spaces. Then you're allowed to attack regions adjacent to regions you control (or regions on the edge if you control none). In this way, it doesn't matter where the tokens came from, just that you're holding enough to make a valid attack.

2) No, the troops that you use to conquer a space stay there until you stop attacking and do redeployment at the end of your turn.

4) Your first attack with a race has to enter from the edge of the map, and all subsequent attacks have to build off adjacent to that. The exception I can think of off the top of my head is if your race is Flying.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 3, 2012

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I was under the impression that you had to leave at least 1 guy in each land you conquer to occupy it? I take what you said to mean that if you leave a land without a guy on it, then it is no longer yours, you don't get tokens for it, and you have to reconquer it if you want it back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

The Dregs posted:

I was under the impression that you had to leave at least 1 guy in each land you conquer to occupy it? I take what you said to mean that if you leave a land without a guy on it, then it is no longer yours, you don't get tokens for it, and you have to reconquer it if you want it back?

Seems you've misunderstood how combat actually works in Small World a little.

In a sense it's not really a war game, but a game where you "purchase" land by "spending" your troops. There are four phases to a turn: Collecting, Conquering, Repositioning and Scoring.

At the start of your turn, you collect all your troops from the board, leaving one on each territory you own. The amount of troops that you have to spend is the number of guys you take from the board (or have already had removed from the board, for example if they got conquered). You can remove the last troop from a territory if you want more to spend this turn, but you won't score for those territories you've evacuated. Evacuating territories in this way happens at the start of your turn, not the end of your turn, so in effect you will always score the territories you have conquered on that turn.

When you are conquering, you must pay the full cost of conquering that location, which is (2 + Pieces of cardboard). Those guys stay there until after you're done conquering. You get to roll the die for your last placement, which can give you a final burst of strength.

After you have placed all your guys, you may reposition them however you wish on the territories you have conquered, for example to secure your borders. After that, you score the territories you have held.

Some races (like Amazons) may end up in a situation where they don't have enough troops to hold all the lands they actually conquered. This is usually the only case where you'd actually vacate a land that you conquered on that turn, thereby not scoring for it. But that's a fringe case. However, it's important to remember that after conquering, you may move guys around however you wish on lands you control, but you'll need to leave at least one guy there if you want to score the land you conquered at the end of your turn.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 3, 2012

• Locked thread