Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

They're easy if you know places to instantly lose your heat level. The Karaoke club in central is a good one. But, of course, they don't get you anything but money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I don't know why the heck you only get Triad points for story missions when there are plenty of side-objectives that could and should get you Triad points the same way police-based side-missions get you Cop points. Armored car heists and Roland's monetary shakedowns would be just fine.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Speedball posted:

I don't know why the heck you only get Triad points for story missions when there are plenty of side-objectives that could and should get you Triad points the same way police-based side-missions get you Cop points. Armored car heists and Roland's monetary shakedowns would be just fine.

Or Triad favors. It really doesn't make sense.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo
I just bought the red envelope DLC so I'd have more stuff to collect. I actually enjoyed collecting stuff in this game.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
I was running around in a shopping center. I found this as a result.

Magic Chairs.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I have about 5 missions left in the game and I just became a level 6 Triad. Replaying missions for 3 stars adds very little. I don't know how else to grind points.

To get more points, you have to beat your previously recorded score.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

luncheon meat posted:

I just bought the red envelope DLC so I'd have more stuff to collect. I actually enjoyed collecting stuff in this game.

I had a blast running around finding all the collectibles in this game. Usually I find it a pain in the rear end in open world games, but something about this one makes it much more satisfying.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is it just me or is the last unlockable martial arts move kind of underwhelming? Sure, it's a knockdown after a counter but based on the icon and how it requires every other move to be unlocked, I was expecting a ridiculous powered kick that just ragdolled the enemy when you countered them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, the very fact that it's called the Dim Mak should've made it an instant kill move. It's not like it would've imbalanced anything either, as there's already an instant kill move you have right from the start of the game anyways.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

Cardboard Box posted:

I had a blast running around finding all the collectibles in this game. Usually I find it a pain in the rear end in open world games, but something about this one makes it much more satisfying.

That's how I felt too. Was actually fun driving around collecting everything and you got decent rewards. The red envelopes are a bit of a letdown. They're outside every parking garage so not really hard to find.

Bought all cars and clothes. Now I just have to do races and find some events that I'm missing!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, the very fact that it's called the Dim Mak should've made it an instant kill move. It's not like it would've imbalanced anything either, as there's already an instant kill move you have right from the start of the game anyways.

What instant kill move are you talking about?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Away all Goats posted:

Probably enviro kills

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Away all Goats posted:

skooma512 posted:

Probably enviro kills

Nope. If you're behind someone, you can move towards them and jam on the grapple button and Wei will grab them and do this downward elbow slam to the chest that kills them instantly.

In truth, it's tough to get behind someone at times, but you can make this a true instant-kill when you get that early Triad skill that allows you to target an enemy and then hit a button to vault over them. That puts you behind them before they can react and then you can do the insta-kill every time.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Especially since all of the enemies that matter already counter it.

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012
Do a wheelie and drive at the front of an oncoming car.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
Cool as gently caress.

Bonus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77vkF3mxBz8&t=58s

I am enjoying this video game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahah holy cow that door slam. 'Remind me not to mess with you' indeed.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

luncheon meat posted:

It should be a cert requirement for every game with collectables to have an in-game way of revealing to you exactly where they are, and which ones you've gotten and which you haven't.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

It should be a cert requirement for every game with collectables to have an in-game way of revealing to you exactly where they are, and which ones you've gotten and which you haven't.
Sleeping Dogs has that. Once you complete the dating mission tied to the particular collectable (Amanda reveals health shrines, Not Ping reveals cameras, etc.), you can hit X (xbox) on the map screen to switch the map to show collectables. From there, you can press Right Trigger over a certain collectable to make a map waypoint for you to follow.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Segmentation Fault posted:

Sleeping Dogs has that. Once you complete the dating mission tied to the particular collectable (Amanda reveals health shrines, Not Ping reveals cameras, etc.), you can hit X (xbox) on the map screen to switch the map to show collectables. From there, you can press Right Trigger over a certain collectable to make a map waypoint for you to follow.

Yep, and it's awesome. Too bad I can count on one hand the number of games I've played that do.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I'm patiently waiting for the high res texture pack to download. Anything that is a good 'must know' before I fire this puppy up? Anything to focus on that will save me time/is a waste of time later?

Or just go balls deep in without thinking!?

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

slovach posted:

Cool as gently caress.

Bonus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77vkF3mxBz8&t=58s

I am enjoying this video game.

Love the straw hat :D.....and that door slam....dammmm

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Away all Goats posted:

Is it just me or is the last unlockable martial arts move kind of underwhelming? Sure, it's a knockdown after a counter but based on the icon and how it requires every other move to be unlocked, I was expecting a ridiculous powered kick that just ragdolled the enemy when you countered them.

I was slightly disappointed that it wasnt an instant kill move, but in its favour; doing it gets you more triad XP than a weapon kill or an environmental kill (as long as you dont spam it) so I'm hoping that going back to early missions and winning a lot of fights with it will get me enough to finally max out that meter.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Any good places to grind for the Wrecker Gold achievement? It's 'cars wrecked' but ramming cars isn't doing anything.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Any good places to grind for the Wrecker Gold achievement? It's 'cars wrecked' but ramming cars isn't doing anything.

You can re-do some of the car chase rail shooter missions.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

If I remember rightly you have to see the car explode to increase that one. So you CAN get it by ramming cars, as long as you dont race off as soon as you have them damaged, you need to be there when it blows up.

SiKboy fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 2, 2012

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
How do I disarm enemies? I kind of forgot, and I need this for my achievements. And speaking of, maybe it's a translation error, but the description for the safe ride gold badge lies about it being total time.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

The final part of The Funeral mission. Grenade launcher definitely wrecks cars.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Call Now posted:

How do I disarm enemies? I kind of forgot, and I need this for my achievements. And speaking of, maybe it's a translation error, but the description for the safe ride gold badge lies about it being total time.

If you hit them by sliding over an obstacle, you'll automatically perform a disarm, and there are perks you can get that will allow you to disarm enemies by grappling or tackling.

e: I assume you're talking about enemies with guns. For enemies with melee weapons, you have to perform a counter while your face bar is activated, and be of a high enough face level, I think it's like 7 or 8.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Call Now posted:

And speaking of, maybe it's a translation error, but the description for the safe ride gold badge lies about it being total time.

Maybe you're thinking of the Safe Driver achievement? Safe Driver cheevo requires you to drive for two minutes continuously with no damage. Safe Driver social hub tracks overall time driven with no damage.

There's no way anyone would get it if it required 30 minutes clean driving in one go.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

teacup posted:

I'm patiently waiting for the high res texture pack to download. Anything that is a good 'must know' before I fire this puppy up? Anything to focus on that will save me time/is a waste of time later?

Or just go balls deep in without thinking!?

Just go in balls deep and figure it out yourself. Most of the awesome poo poo in this game you just discover.

I'll give you a tip, though: don't worry too much about police xp. You get plenty of opportunities to make up anything lost.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

SiKboy posted:

If I remember rightly you have to see the car explode to increase that one. So you CAN get it by ramming cars, as long as you dont race off as soon as you have them damaged, you need to be there when it blows up.

Yeah, you're right, still a pain though. Also holy gently caress I am never going to get Triad Level 10, halfway through level 9 and even with the 15% outfit and replaying missions barely goes up a notch more when I beat my scores.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Maybe you're thinking of the Safe Driver achievement? Safe Driver cheevo requires you to drive for two minutes continuously with no damage. Safe Driver social hub tracks overall time driven with no damage.

There's no way anyone would get it if it required 30 minutes clean driving in one go.

Wait, those are minutes? Okay, I hosed up. :v: I thought the social hub tracked seconds and was just loving with me.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
I picked this game up and went into it completely blind.

About an hour in I rammed a guy's head into a fishtank, then picked up a trout and beat the everloving poo poo out of another dude rushing me with a knife.

Best purchase in a long time. :swoon:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Hm. Booted up the game for the first time, hosed around with my graphics settings a bit and tried to run the benchmark. Crash to desktop as soon as I pressed the button. Not really the greatest start to my Sleeping Dogs experience. :ohdear:

Downloading the texture pack now, maybe having it will fix things.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
Wow, I called my car valet to bring me a car while I was driving around because I had smashed my previous car with a few triad faces and I wanted to ride in style. Anyhow, while driving waiting for my valet to catch up to my position I noticed a camera icon so I decided to go parkour up the building and do some huge across building leaps before I finally reach the the beam that the camera can be hacked from. I'm hacking for a while and when I finally I finish, i'm startled to see a man up on this remote location on a building rooftop beam just staring at me. Then I realized it was my valet and I still have no loving idea how he got up there but i'd like to imagine he parkour'd his way up just like me.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Going to stop worrying about max Level Triad and go back to walking around in sweet shades and nothing else.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The game just crashed on me right as I got to Big Smile Lee's Compound right in the middle of the autosave. Now my save file is corrupt and I've lost like eight hours of progress. :smithicide:

I don't suppose anyone has a save file from right at this point? I just can't see myself replaying after losing that much progress

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010
Is there a point to hacking cameras that don't have nearby gangs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

whoda thunkit posted:

Is there a point to hacking cameras that don't have nearby gangs?

Completion, mostly. You might be able to use them to bust people, though.

• Locked thread